[Video] No bow, no pet merge WvW roaming

Joao.3410

> @"Gotejjeken.1267" said:

> Nice fights, but man I hate our weapons every time I watch a vid (or roam). GS is just SLOW and you literally have to outplay to get axe to be functional.

When you try other professions, you become aware of many things ranger lack. Most of things are clunky, slow, has no visual or real impact. I would say most of Ranger weapons skills are outdated except for Longbow and GS is becoming legit with their small little buffs.

At PoF beta, I was wondering why SBeast merging skills had such a small radius when you look at FB, Scourge and Holosmith. It's hopeless.

> @"Undertow.2389" said:

> What is that, full minstrel's? You basically just run in circles while your pet slowly kills them. Not really very entertaining to watch to me.

I mean... it's how Pet Slave Core Ranger is played. It has to rely on the pet mechanic a lot. By looking at his HP, probably tanky gears and being a pet slave. It's a legit build and ANet should push more pet interactions, it's our main mechanic after all. I liked playing with Clarion Bond + Beastly Warden and sending a 25 might Smokescale on someone.

I think he managed well. Thank you for the video Joao.

> @"Krispera.5087" said:

> When you try other professions, you become aware of many things ranger lack. Most of things are clunky, slow, has no visual or real impact. I would say most of Ranger weapons skills are outdated except for Longbow and GS is becoming legit with their small little buffs.

And that is the reason for which ranger isnt meta, his trait lines and skills are "old", warrior had a rework in skills and utilities, with the actual meta all classes have a focking 1200 gap closer, it is focking difficult to disengage from a good player (thief,mesmer,warrior,holo,revenant, hammer guardian) , the class doesnt have any kind of utility which could be used to disengage ( lightning reflexes is good but the distance you jump backwards is a joke), 2HS is good in melee, but is slow , Sword#2 is nice to disengage but the second part doesnt evade so, you always take damage.

Edit: It's nice to have media on the Ranger subforums. Nice video!

> @"Krispera.5087" said:

> I mean... it's how Pet Slave Core Ranger is played. It has to rely on the pet mechanic a lot. By looking at his HP, probably tanky gears and being a pet slave. It's a legit build and ANet should push more pet interactions, it's our main mechanic after all. I liked playing with Clarion Bond + Beastly Warden and sending a 25 might Smokescale on someone.

>

> I think he managed well. Thank you for the video Joao.

~~Pet Slave Core Ranger is a nice term. It's completely valid to play because of WvW gearsets (as opposed to PvP ones...). It's not something to abhor, I think - don't remember our class F1-F4 are completely about the pet (elite classes not included), so building around that should be possible.~~

Completely agree. As you say pet control should have more options/nuances to it (although I like my random Smokescale knockdowns a bit too much when kiting).

> @"urdriel.8496" said:

> the actual meta all classes have a focking 1200 gap closer, it is focking difficult to disengage from a good player (thief,mesmer,warrior,holo,revenant, hammer guardian) , the class doesnt have any kind of utility which could be used to disengage ( lightning reflexes is good but the distance you jump backwards is a joke), 2HS is good in melee, but is slow , Sword#2 is nice to disengage but the second part doesnt evade so, you always take damage.

We do rely on some of the oldest skills to be sure. The one good thing about Ranger movement skills like Bambi Merge F2 or the GS is that you can specifically steer direction and the GS leap can clear minor obstacles. They don't really bug out with no-port spots and you have stealth on LB to help mask your movement. Superspeed also helps.

As for the engages first you should be aware they (port classes) are on the map and be prepared to use no-port spots. I've actually LB 4'd Revs who Phase Traversal to me (not hard, even I can do it... just keep eyes open) and other ports like Thief and Hammer Guard if you clear the blind/aegis or time through evades you can usually knock them back, and if not you can still stealth and reposition. My pressure game is still weak but at least I survive. And in a PvP setting if they waste CDs chasing me and I'm not dying it inadvertently indirectly helps my team. Warrior I think Rampage is more of an issue, Mesmer you can do no-port puzzle jumps (LB 3 the clones), Holo don't usually run Rocket Boots (you can knock that back) and you should pay more attention to dodging or kiting the Corona Burst combo, once the stability wears off you can knockback. (I fluff half the time but the idea should be there.)

GS can be chained with Merge Smokescale. GS 5 is the fastest attack on that set and sometimes I use it to clear off blinds (for blocks you have Unstoppable Union) so I can land a quickness F1 Takedown into Maul + Worldly Impact (+ "Sic 'Em!") (thanks to [whoever was teaching this](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/561767#Comment_561767 "whoever was teaching this")). It is indeed slow and without that chain combo above, jump GS 4 blocking and using GS 3 to kite around until blind wears off seems the best option. Or you can cleanse if you don't get condi-bombed.

Lightning reflexes can mix up with Sword 2 and dodge to delay the leap and protect it, but indeed, good players can stop you mid-leap easily. But the main effect of LR is its function as a third evade and Vigor source, which lets people who dodge well already to have semi-permanent Vigor (+ Sigils). Good Rangers usually use evades and dodges very well, like [shadowpass already showed](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/45830/how-do-you-feel-ranger-is-doing-debating-on-switching-to-it/p1#Comment_581179 "Shadowpass already showed"). I myself don't have a lot of success in this so I'm learning to take LR off (using QZ) and focus more on kiting and positioning first.

> @"Ralkuth.1456" said:

> > @"Krispera.5087" said:

> > I mean... it's how Pet Slave Core Ranger is played. It has to rely on the pet mechanic a lot. By looking at his HP, probably tanky gears and being a pet slave. It's a legit build and ANet should push more pet interactions, it's our main mechanic after all. I liked playing with Clarion Bond + Beastly Warden and sending a 25 might Smokescale on someone.

> >

> > I think he managed well. Thank you for the video Joao.

> ~~Pet Slave Core Ranger is a nice term. It's completely valid to play because of WvW gearsets (as opposed to PvP ones...). It's not something to abhor, I think - don't remember our class F1-F4 are completely about the pet (elite classes not included), so building around that should be possible.~~

>

> Completely agree. As you say pet control should have more options/nuances to it (although I like my random Smokescale knockdowns a bit too much when kiting).

>

> > @"urdriel.8496" said:

> > the actual meta all classes have a focking 1200 gap closer, it is focking difficult to disengage from a good player (thief,mesmer,warrior,holo,revenant, hammer guardian) , the class doesnt have any kind of utility which could be used to disengage ( lightning reflexes is good but the distance you jump backwards is a joke), 2HS is good in melee, but is slow , Sword#2 is nice to disengage but the second part doesnt evade so, you always take damage.

> We do rely on some of the oldest skills to be sure. The one good thing about Ranger movement skills like Bambi Merge F2 or the GS is that you can specifically steer direction and the GS leap can clear minor obstacles. They don't really bug out with no-port spots and you have stealth on LB to help mask your movement. Superspeed also helps.

>

> As for the engages first you should be aware they are on the map and be prepared to use no-port spots. I've actually LB 4'd Revs who Phase Traversal to me (not hard, even I can do it... just keep eyes open) and other ports like Thief and Hammer Guard if you clear the blind/aegis or time through evades you can usually knock them back, and if not you can still stealth and reposition. My pressure game is still weak but at least I survive. And in a PvP setting if they waste CDs chasing me and I'm not dying it inadvertently indirectly helps my team. Warrior I think Rampage is more of an issue, Mesmer you can do no-port puzzle jumps (LB 3 the clones), Holo don't usually run Rocket Boots (you can knock that back) and you should pay more attention to dodging or kiting the Corona Burst combo, once the stability wears off you can knockback. (I fluff half the time but the idea should be there.)

>

> GS can be chained with Merge Smokescale. GS 5 is the fastest attack on that set and sometimes I use it to clear off blinds (for blocks you have Unstoppable Union) so I can land a quickness F1 Takedown into Maul + Worldly Impact (+ "Sic 'Em!") (thanks to [whoever was teaching this](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/561767#Comment_561767 "whoever was teaching this")). It is indeed slow and without that chain combo above, jump GS 4 blocking and using GS 3 to kite around until blind wears off seems the best option. Or you can cleanse if you don't get condi-bombed.

>

> Lightning reflexes can mix up with Sword 2 and dodge to delay the leap and protect it, but indeed, good players can stop you mid-leap easily. But the main effect of LR is its function as a third evade and Vigor source, which lets people who dodge well already to have semi-permanent Vigor (+ Sigils). Good Rangers usually use evades and dodges very well, like [shadowpass already showed](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/45830/how-do-you-feel-ranger-is-doing-debating-on-switching-to-it/p1#Comment_581179 "Shadowpass already showed"). I myself don't have a lot of success in this so I'm learning to take LR off (using QZ) and focus more on kiting and positioning first.

>

This is what Shadowpass wrote about engaging a SB.

1 Dodge the Dagger F1

2 Bait Full Counter.

3Stow weapons and pets when a warrior uses Full Counter.

4 Dodge GS3.

5 Dodge GS5.

6 Strafe GS4.

7 Dodge Arcing Slice.

8 Dodge Shield 4.

9 Don't attack Shield 5.

10 Knock the warrior back AFTER he uses a dodge.

Facts are that , while some classes only need to blindly charge forward (hello mesmers,Sbs,hammer guardian,holo,etc) , Ranger need to play like a Chess Player , and if you fail 1 single time in any fight, you are dead,, this would be nice if the class itself had top notch damage (high damage , high skill ceiling) but we all know that damage coef of ranger skills are low due to our pets (Anet said :/ ).

> @"urdriel.8496" said:

> Facts are that , while some classes only need to blindly charge forward (hello mesmers,Sbs,hammer guardian,holo,etc) , Ranger need to play like a Chess Player , and if you fail 1 single time in any fight, you are dead,, this would be nice if the class itself had top notch damage (high damage , high skill ceiling) but we all know that damage coef of ranger skills are low due to our pets (Anet said :/ ).

The facts are there but some people have found success with it. I like the playstyle too so I focus on trying to improve my skills on Ranger. The Ranger subforum is full of helpful people and I'm grateful for that. I want to be proud of getting the hang of something fun and challenging. I don't mean that Holo or Spellbreaker require no skill to play well but they don't interest me as much.

I hope you can enjoy Ranger a bit more. I was disillusioned about the balance once, but I've learned since then that you don't have to be so sad!

> @"Ralkuth.1456" said:

> > @"urdriel.8496" said:

> > Facts are that , while some classes only need to blindly charge forward (hello mesmers,Sbs,hammer guardian,holo,etc) , Ranger need to play like a Chess Player , and if you fail 1 single time in any fight, you are dead,, this would be nice if the class itself had top notch damage (high damage , high skill ceiling) but we all know that damage coef of ranger skills are low due to our pets (Anet said :/ ).

> The facts are there but some people have found success with it. I like the playstyle too so I focus on trying to improve my skills on Ranger. The Ranger subforum is full of helpful people and I'm grateful for that. I want to be proud of getting the hang of something fun and challenging. I don't mean that Holo or Spellbreaker require no skill to play well but they don't interest me as much.

>

> I hope you can enjoy Ranger a bit more. I was disillusioned about the balance once, but I've learned since then that you don't have to be so sad!

I enjoy the Ranger , but something challenging should be rewarding too, i only wish that next balance patches help ranger class a bit.

I mean, it's not like we have any other choice but to run 'pet slave' builds.

I've personally tried Soulbeast in WvW and couldn't get it to function...losing the pet is killer. You lose both a distraction, a skill set, and swap abilities. In return you gain...one usable skill (the F3) and two awful skills (unless it's a bird, then you gain another good skill for out of combat only).

I get other classes are stronger, in a majority of cases a LOT stronger. I myself most likely will never play any other class for an extended period as I'm just too burnt out on GW2 after these six years. Just log on to ranger, and have fun dying in WvW; sometimes can get some good results though.

More power to this guy.

Everyone in WvW wants to 3v1 you with the the ~~cheesiest~~ ahem, most Optimum builds possible.

This was active gameplay. Nice job @"Joao.3410"

@"Undertow.2389" you watched the whole video or just the first fight?

It was anything but "running in circles while pet kills them".