Windows 10 updates from May, June, and July 2018 causing game crash: solved

My game started crashing after the Windows 10 May 2018 update, so I just skipped that one and June's. When July's came in today, my game would crash after login again, indicating a d3d9.dll error. After a little research, it seemed a lot of these types of crashes are caused by another program, and I was able to narrow my problem down to the Rivatuner Statistics Server that displays FPS and other information, that came with the MSI Afterburner program. I confirmed that the game worked after closing that program, but after some trial and error I determined that a small settings change was all I needed. In the Rivatuner Statistics Server options, I turned "Custom Direct 3D support" to "ON". After confirming that the game and the program worked now, I created a profile just for Gw2-64.exe, and made that one change, and my crashes went away.

TL;DR version: Disable any other programs while troubleshooting crashes that occur after doing Windows 10 updates.

Hope this helps someone!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I also have windows 10 and my laptop is way above the needed specs. The game started crashing and sending my computer to a blue screen after early July. Now I can only play for about 15 minutes before a blue screen appears. I've updated all the drivers and other games don't crash my computer. I don't totally follow everything you said in your post could you explain a little more about how you narrowed your problem down?

Thanks for any help.