Official forum VS Reddit

> @"Blanche Neige.7241" said:

> So, It's happening again.

>

> Lots of players complain about ingame login problems on the GW2 **OFFICIAL** FORUMS.

>

> Where does an Anet offical post an answer about this trouble?

>

> Reddit.

>

>

> Why do you maintain an **OFFICIAL** forum when your employes don't even use it to communicate with your players?

They do use it to communicate with players. Just because they don’t use it 100% of the time doesn’t mean that they don’t.

> @"Blanche Neige.7241" said:

> So, It's happening again.

>

> Lots of players complain about ingame login problems on the GW2 **OFFICIAL** FORUMS.

>

> Where does an Anet offical post an answer about this trouble?

>

> Reddit.

>

>

> Why do you maintain an **OFFICIAL** forum when your employes don't even use it to communicate with your players?

Yep...... this is so ridiculous.

Who cares where ya get the news as long as you get the news. I auto go to forums, NA was down and it's up now.....MOVE ON. No need to post threads about which and why.........seriously bored eh? Can we get the down vote option back for all the errant polls lately by chance?

I don't use Reddit so it would be nice to see that issues like login issues are being addressed. It looks like they don't care if there is login issues. If they prefer the Reddit format and only post there they should just shut down the official forums like BioWare did for Mass effect.

I disagree. There are more users on reddit.

A lot of communities and subgroups are alienated from these forums. The forums are a nice place for PR but they're heavily moderated and sparsely used by players.It's no suprise reddit has vastly more players, interaction and communication. If players rather use reddit than the official forums, it's not unreasonable that anet occasionally does too. After all, anet is a company specializing in video games - not social / online media.

If they're replying to issues or posting important information; it should be on both so (as many as possible) players are informed. And most players are not here; but on reddit.

Players use reddit because it's player-driven. The official forums are heavily controlled. It's no suprise that players prefer reddit

> @"MetalGirl.2370" said:

> Everyone is ignoring forums because they've censored it heavily.

Warning incoming :)

> @"Drecien.4508" said:

> Cause the internet warriors on reddit hold power over the developers... At least in anets corner. Other games, not so much.

Cause anet devs hold all the power over the players on the official forums, to the point where most players don't even try to communicate here anymore. Turns out devs rather reach their players than not reach them at all.

Other games like what? Blizzard with several games with more reddit activity than anet? League with far more dev activity than anet? I can think of quite a few games with healthy reddit communities and dev interaction.

> @"Etheri.5406" said:

> I disagree. There are more users on reddit.

>

> A lot of communities and subgroups are alienated from these forums. The forums are a nice place for PR but they're heavily moderated and sparsely used by players.It's no suprise reddit has vastly more players, interaction and communication. If players rather use reddit than the official forums, it's not unreasonable that anet occasionally does too. After all, anet is a company specializing in video games - not social / online media.

>

> If they're replying to issues or posting important information; it should be on both so (as many as possible) players are informed. And most players are not here; but on reddit.

But ANet set the rules. It makes zero sense for them to post there because the rules of the forum mean there are less posters here. They'd just...relax the rules. The simple reason as they have stated many times, many devs just prefer the format. And that's fine, but not for issues such as login problems which must be cross posted (as you rightly said)

I see plenty of feedback and communication on here. I even see a lot of things added or changed in game as a result of what players have communicated on the forums. It just seems that people have very high and unreasonable expectations that Anet must respond to almost everything.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> I see plenty of feedback and communication on here. I even see a lot of things added or changed in game as a result of what players have communicated on the forums.

Can confirm. Previous warhorn change (before it got RUINT, RUUUINNNTTTT) was something the Warrior players brought up, and I was very squee when I saw the change made at the time. Not one word from a dev about it, but it still made it in game.

Now if they would F3 Deadeye...

> @"Zedek.8932" said:

> > @"Evon Skyfyre.9673" said:

> > Possibly because Free to Play, cannot use this forum?

>

> So because of that, people how pay for it get less service on here?

> Eh, what?

I agree, and I don't think it has ever motivated someone to spend money just to post. Bad PR but many MMORPG's do it. GW2, SWTOR, LOTRO, etc..

> @"Sarpan.9074" said:

> I don't do reddit or twitter. If Anet thinks platforms other than their official forums are the way to get out info, at least they could post the same info here as well.

Which is what they agreed to last time we did this dance. YET, here we are again with things being officially posted yet NOT posted in the "official" forum.

I feel a lot of game communities locate to Reddit because it's just easier to access when more than one gaming community is in one place. And ArenaNet probably looks in other places (not actually replying) to look for feedback in those subreddits. Less registration to new forums and quicker access to feedback.

Wouldn't it be easier to just close the official forums and use reddit instead?

I'm not saying this out of spite, in a "waaaah, ArenaNet uses reddit more than this forum and so I'm hurt" way.

In the original Guild Wars, ArenaNet did not have an official forum. There were a few fansite forums, with heavy presence by ArenaNet (mostly Gaile, to be honest), in which the community focused on different aspects of the game. There was a forum predominantly with PvP players, a forum mostly with PvE players, another with mostly exploiters concerned with farming and flipping the market, and so on. It worked.

Now we have an official forum, but I'm not sure it's better than the old model. Here and on reddit this site's moderation is accused of being too restrictive, which will always be something people will complain about in official forums. Meanwhile, ArenaNet has to use resources to keep the forum up and running, including a moderation team and etc. Wouldn't those resources be better spent in improving the game, instead of on this forum?

I'm not sure it's even worth having an official forum anymore.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> It just seems that people have very high and unreasonable expectations that Anet must respond to almost everything.

Of course not.

But when players report issues like login troubles, it should be the basic thing to do to reply here too about it, not only on Reddit. If someone from Anet can take 2 minutes of his/her time to post that info on Reddit, he/she can spend two minutes to post it here too.