Completely New player.

Hello,

As the title says I'm a completely new player and I would like to ask advice on which class would be most suitable for per say,

I'm pretty flexible on what type of class/profession etc.. I wouldn't want a class to completely overwhelm me in terms of skill..

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

Illustrious.

Welcome to the game!

My advice is to try a few, or read about them (the Wiki is a good resource) and pick whichever you like the sound of. There's no wrong choice - any profession can do anything in the game (no matter what some people will tell you) and it's relatively quick to level up so if you do change your mind you can 'fix' it relatively easily.

I could recommend the ones I find most fun, but unless you're me there's no guarantee you'll like them too. Or I could recommend easy ones, but easy can also mean boring to play so that might put you off.

One other thing I recommend - if you got PoF and/or HoT **don't** use the level 80 boost on your first character. You'll just end up confused and struggling to do anything in the level 80 maps. (You can go to any map on a level 80 character and, thanks to down-scaling actually play on lower level maps and get XP and items at your level, but most people who use the boost want to focus on level 80 maps.) Save it until you feel like you've gotten to know the game and have some idea of what there is to do at level 80, maybe until you decide you want a second profession to play. Or boost a secondary character and use them to unlock things you really want early (a lot of people like to get the raptor mount early) and then go back to your low level character to focus on.

Finally if there's anything you're not sure about feel free to ask, either on the forum or in-game. This game can be pretty different in some subtle ways and people are generally good about explaining things.

> @"Illustrious.6157" said:

> Hello,

> As the title says I'm a completely new player and I would like to ask advice on which class would be most suitable for per say,

> I'm pretty flexible on what type of class/profession etc.. I wouldn't want a class to completely overwhelm me in terms of skill..

> ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

>

> Illustrious.

Warrior, ranger or necromancer are the best professions to start the game with. Necromancer being the easiest, followed by warrior and finally ranger.

Core necromancer is a condition damage or a DoT profession, Reaper focuses on strong power and cleave damage and Scourge is a condition damage or DoT specialization.

Core warrior is a sustained fighter, Berserker is a condition damage specialization and the Spellbreaker uses CC to steal boons from foes.

Ranger is a sustained ranged and melee fighter, Druid is one of the best support specializations in the game and Soulbeast is a high damage burst focused specialization.

Play a Ranger. In the end-game, Rangers perform well in all roles, including healing.

Level it to about 49 and decide if you like it. If there is something about it you don't like, leave it parked if possible (you'll need it later anyway and you'll need it at that level) and try a Warrior or Guardian or Necro.

While leveling your Ranger, use a Axe in your main hand and a torch in the offhand. Your other weapon configuration should be a bow--either long or short.

Use "We heal as one" for your heal spell.

Look for armor that has power and precision.

Tame any and every animal that has "juvenile" in its name. There are websites dedicated to laying out the location for every tameable pet in the game.

At any point, go to your PvP panel, click "enter lobby," and you'll go to an area where pvp isn't enabled yet, but you'll have all your skills unlocked. Use the teleport in the pvp lobby to go to the other island where there are training dummies. Experiment with different utility spells until you find what you like. When you leave the pvp lobby, you'll be back to your original level without all the stuff unlocked.

At 49, you will have picked up some of the game mechanics. At that point, when you read the guides for end-game builds, they'll make more sense to you and you can begin aiming at something else.

All of the above is not set in stone in any way shape or form, but I know that when I was new, the vast amount of options made the advice "just pick what you like" utterly worthless. Follow the above as closely as you like. When you get other weapons from leveling, experiment with them and see if you like them.

I’m also a new player. I find Guardians great for starting. With heavy armor and plenty of healing, I can survive very well even without knowledge of encounters. If having 10+ skills to use is overwhelming, Guardians can use Signets for skills 6~10 which have passive effects, giving the player less buttons to use until the player becomes more familiar with weapon skills. As for weapons, I just stuck to greatsword, scepter, and a shield at first.

My class advice would be either ranger or necromancer. They are easy to play and pretty hard to kill.

If you intend to buy the expansions, dont use the instant lvl 80 booster. Do the hearts and events so you get to know the class and the game better.

If you have any questions you can ask anyone, people will generally help all the time.

If you happen to find any toxic people, ignore as they tend to think they know everything.

RANGER. You can't go wrong.

1. It is a Ranged class

2. It can be a melee class

3. Decent HP

4. Decent Armor

5. You can play as a power damage, or condition damage, or a semi-tank, or a healer...

6. You have pets to tank the damage for you, ress you if you die or simply help dealing damage

Rangers are by FAR the best first class for anyone in this game. Even tho it isn't my main class, it was my first and i even got map completion with it

In my opinion, no classes are truly skill-gated. Save the worry over perfect skill rotations/priorities until you get to fractals/raids if that is eventually where you want to be. Even then, it'll be a while before you get there and you'll have had plenty of time to learn a lot about how to play the class. So roll a random class, and take it for a test drive through a bit of the personal story. If you don't like it, roll another class and go from there.

That being said, yes Ele, engie, and mesmer are probably ones that have the higher learning curves and ranger, warrior, and necro have smaller learning curves. That doesn't mean you won't enjoy playing an ele ten times as much as a ranger, but you'll never know unless you take it for a spin.

> @"Kodiak.4213" said:> In my opinion, no classes are truly skill-gated. Save the worry over perfect skill rotations/priorities until you get to fractals/raids if that is eventually where you want to be. Even then, it'll be a while before you get there and you'll have had plenty of time to learn a lot about how to play the class. So roll a random class, and take it for a test drive through a bit of the personal story. If you don't like it, roll another class and go from there. > That being said, yes Ele, engie, and mesmer are probably ones that have the higher learning curves and ranger, warrior, and necro have smaller learning curves. That doesn't mean you won't enjoy playing an ele ten times as much as a ranger, but you'll never know unless you take it for a spin.being able to do complete complex skill rotation, like condi nade engi, with muscle memory is a skill in itself ;)chrono support requires situation reading, which is any different set of skill, being situation awareness

Power Reaper Minion Master is probably the most forgiving of all builds, all utilities are preoccupied by raised minions, and spam Raise whenever skill is availableWeapon skill you just have to use whatever is off cooldownGo into reaper shround whenever need a quick heal; which one of the trait automatically do it for you when your hp drops under the threshold.exotic Berserker gears are easy to come by compare to other stats, at the same time being one of the meta stat since the beginning of timeRanger have pretty high survivability, but not as much as necrosWarriors... not sure, one of my toon has the most deaths is warrior :lol:

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:> > being able to do complete complex skill rotation, like condi nade engi, with muscle memory is a skill in itself ;)> > chrono support requires situation reading, which is any different set of skill, being situation awareness> >

> Correct, and I totally agree that it takes a developed practice to execute properly with those two cases. But consider as well that power holosmith has a much simpler rotation than nade engi. Likewise for condi mirage versus chrono support. Both holo and mirage are still able to be utilized in higher tier PVE content. So we shouldn't tell a new player to avoid a class because of a specific playstyle associated with that class and deter them away from trying it out anyway when that class has much more to offer to someone who might not have the specific skills you mentioned above. GW2 has come along way in offering more viable class builds. It'll never be 100%, but it is certainly an exciting time to be playing this game. Cheers!