Guild Wars 2 is causing my computer to reboot randomly

Hey Everyone...hoping you can help me out with this.

Recently I upgraded my PC (New mobo, processor, RAM) got back into the game, and everything was fine.

Then on Friday I installed a new graphics card. Upgraded from 2x GTX 970 SLI to a single GTX 1080ti (EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3). I DDU'ed my graphics drivers and updated to the most recent (released 8/1) and proceeded to log into Guild Wars 2 to play and check it out.

I was able to play for about 30 minutes before I encountered my first issue. Without any warning my computer just blacked out and restarted. Logged back in, got to playing again and a few minutes later it did it again.

I've gone into troubleshooting, PSU is 850 watts and working fine, CPU and GPU temps are good (ran benchmarks/stress tests to see if its a power/heat issue), I've re-seated the graphics card (and swapped PCI slots), I've played other games to see if they have any kind of issues (none found). I have run the GW2 Repair feature. I have Reinstalled GW2. I have DDU'ed and Re-installed the graphics drivers again. I've tried running the graphics card on "Debug Mode" which runs the card at Base clock speeds (for testing/possibly OC sensitive games). With all of these computer restarts while playing, I receive no error messages and the windows Event Logs show nothing other than the computer restarting without being properly shut down.

I am at the end of ideas...The only thing I can think that could be causing these reboots is the latest Nvidia driver having some kind of issue with GW2...or GW2 having an issue. I know many will jump on here and say this is a Hardware issue, or a heat issue, or a PSU/Power issue... But it is not...as I have run stress tests to push the system much further than GW2 could ever do...and it runs flawlessly.

I've sent in a ticket...but...Help?

> @"Rawbbeh.9542" said:

> Hey Everyone...hoping you can help me out with this.

>

> Recently I upgraded my PC (New mobo, processor, RAM) got back into the game, and everything was fine.

>

> Then on Friday I installed a new graphics card. Upgraded from 2x GTX 970 SLI to a single GTX 1080ti (EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3). I DDU'ed my graphics drivers and updated to the most recent (released 8/1) and proceeded to log into Guild Wars 2 to play and check it out.

>

> I was able to play for about 30 minutes before I encountered my first issue. Without any warning my computer just blacked out and restarted. Logged back in, got to playing again and a few minutes later it did it again.

>

> I've gone into troubleshooting, PSU is 850 watts and working fine, CPU and GPU temps are good (ran benchmarks/stress tests to see if its a power/heat issue), I've re-seated the graphics card (and swapped PCI slots), I've played other games to see if they have any kind of issues (none found). I have run the GW2 Repair feature. I have Reinstalled GW2. I have DDU'ed and Re-installed the graphics drivers again. I've tried running the graphics card on "Debug Mode" which runs the card at Base clock speeds (for testing/possibly OC sensitive games). With all of these computer restarts while playing, I receive no error messages and the windows Event Logs show nothing other than the computer restarting without being properly shut down.

>

> I am at the end of ideas...The only thing I can think that could be causing these reboots is the latest Nvidia driver having some kind of issue with GW2...or GW2 having an issue. I know many will jump on here and say this is a Hardware issue, or a heat issue, or a PSU/Power issue... But it is not...as I have run stress tests to push the system much further than GW2 could ever do...and it runs flawlessly.

>

> I've sent in a ticket...but...Help?

no error code in event viewer at all? Is it overheating your card when GW2 is running? you say it is good but how did you determine it is? Have your tried an alternate card if you might have one and started GW2? I know you might not have one but it is worth trying regardless of whether it runs right in other software. Seems like a possible driver issue but hard to say.

I would imagine it is not causing it but is the firmware for your BIOS current? At least something else to check.

> @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > @"Rawbbeh.9542" said:

> > Hey Everyone...hoping you can help me out with this.

> >

> > Recently I upgraded my PC (New mobo, processor, RAM) got back into the game, and everything was fine.

> >

> > Then on Friday I installed a new graphics card. Upgraded from 2x GTX 970 SLI to a single GTX 1080ti (EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3). I DDU'ed my graphics drivers and updated to the most recent (released 8/1) and proceeded to log into Guild Wars 2 to play and check it out.

> >

> > I was able to play for about 30 minutes before I encountered my first issue. Without any warning my computer just blacked out and restarted. Logged back in, got to playing again and a few minutes later it did it again.

> >

> > I've gone into troubleshooting, PSU is 850 watts and working fine, CPU and GPU temps are good (ran benchmarks/stress tests to see if its a power/heat issue), I've re-seated the graphics card (and swapped PCI slots), I've played other games to see if they have any kind of issues (none found). I have run the GW2 Repair feature. I have Reinstalled GW2. I have DDU'ed and Re-installed the graphics drivers again. I've tried running the graphics card on "Debug Mode" which runs the card at Base clock speeds (for testing/possibly OC sensitive games). With all of these computer restarts while playing, I receive no error messages and the windows Event Logs show nothing other than the computer restarting without being properly shut down.

> >

> > I am at the end of ideas...The only thing I can think that could be causing these reboots is the latest Nvidia driver having some kind of issue with GW2...or GW2 having an issue. I know many will jump on here and say this is a Hardware issue, or a heat issue, or a PSU/Power issue... But it is not...as I have run stress tests to push the system much further than GW2 could ever do...and it runs flawlessly.

> >

> > I've sent in a ticket...but...Help?

>

> no error code in event viewer at all? Is it overheating your card when GW2 is running? you say it is good but how did you determine it is? Have your tried an alternate card if you might have one and started GW2? I know you might not have one but it is worth trying regardless of whether it runs right in other software. Seems like a possible driver issue but hard to say.

>

> I would imagine it is not causing it but is the firmware for your BIOS current? At least something else to check.

No error code in event viewer that would signify a critical cause for a shut down. Temps are not getting above 73C. Determined also by running a stress test/benchmark program to make it run at its fullest. No shutdowns/issues there (power or heat). The 2 cards I was using (2x GTX 970's) ran the game without any issues (in regards to shutting down, freezing, or anything like that..game ran as intended.) but it wasnt until i changed them out for the 1080ti that this issue of my computer restarting while the game was running began. (It has already happened a couple times today. one was after 58 minutes of playing, and the most recent, just now, after 3 hours 18 minutes.)

Since the new graphics card installation, I have not had a computer shutdown running any other game/program except for GW2.

> @"Rawbbeh.9542" said:

> > @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > > @"Rawbbeh.9542" said:

> > > Hey Everyone...hoping you can help me out with this.

> > >

> > > Recently I upgraded my PC (New mobo, processor, RAM) got back into the game, and everything was fine.

> > >

> > > Then on Friday I installed a new graphics card. Upgraded from 2x GTX 970 SLI to a single GTX 1080ti (EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3). I DDU'ed my graphics drivers and updated to the most recent (released 8/1) and proceeded to log into Guild Wars 2 to play and check it out.

> > >

> > > I was able to play for about 30 minutes before I encountered my first issue. Without any warning my computer just blacked out and restarted. Logged back in, got to playing again and a few minutes later it did it again.

> > >

> > > I've gone into troubleshooting, PSU is 850 watts and working fine, CPU and GPU temps are good (ran benchmarks/stress tests to see if its a power/heat issue), I've re-seated the graphics card (and swapped PCI slots), I've played other games to see if they have any kind of issues (none found). I have run the GW2 Repair feature. I have Reinstalled GW2. I have DDU'ed and Re-installed the graphics drivers again. I've tried running the graphics card on "Debug Mode" which runs the card at Base clock speeds (for testing/possibly OC sensitive games). With all of these computer restarts while playing, I receive no error messages and the windows Event Logs show nothing other than the computer restarting without being properly shut down.

> > >

> > > I am at the end of ideas...The only thing I can think that could be causing these reboots is the latest Nvidia driver having some kind of issue with GW2...or GW2 having an issue. I know many will jump on here and say this is a Hardware issue, or a heat issue, or a PSU/Power issue... But it is not...as I have run stress tests to push the system much further than GW2 could ever do...and it runs flawlessly.

> > >

> > > I've sent in a ticket...but...Help?

> >

> > no error code in event viewer at all? Is it overheating your card when GW2 is running? you say it is good but how did you determine it is? Have your tried an alternate card if you might have one and started GW2? I know you might not have one but it is worth trying regardless of whether it runs right in other software. Seems like a possible driver issue but hard to say.

> >

> > I would imagine it is not causing it but is the firmware for your BIOS current? At least something else to check.

>

> No error code in event viewer that would signify a critical cause for a shut down. Temps are not getting above 73C. Determined also by running a stress test/benchmark program to make it run at its fullest. No shutdowns/issues there (power or heat). The 2 cards I was using (2x GTX 970's) ran the game without any issues (in regards to shutting down, freezing, or anything like that..game ran as intended.) but it wasnt until i changed them out for the 1080ti that this issue of my computer restarting while the game was running began. (It has already happened a couple times today. one was after 58 minutes of playing, and the most recent, just now, after 3 hours 18 minutes.)

>

> Since the new graphics card installation, I have not had a computer shutdown running any other game/program except for GW2.

Is your heat sink making the correct contact to your CPU? I know it probably is but those times it is taking to tank on you is a bit weird and not even close the same.

I am guessing you checked the temps while the game was running as well.

Try a new driver just don't try the most current driver. See if you can load one that is 1 or 2 steps back from the current one and play more and see if it changes maybe. Not sure what the dates are on their most current driver. I don't use a NVidia card and I use Linux so it has been a while since I tinkered with MS Windows video drivers.

> @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > @"Rawbbeh.9542" said:

> > > @"jbrother.1340" said:

> > > > @"Rawbbeh.9542" said:

> > > > Hey Everyone...hoping you can help me out with this.

> > > >

> > > > Recently I upgraded my PC (New mobo, processor, RAM) got back into the game, and everything was fine.

> > > >

> > > > Then on Friday I installed a new graphics card. Upgraded from 2x GTX 970 SLI to a single GTX 1080ti (EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3). I DDU'ed my graphics drivers and updated to the most recent (released 8/1) and proceeded to log into Guild Wars 2 to play and check it out.

> > > >

> > > > I was able to play for about 30 minutes before I encountered my first issue. Without any warning my computer just blacked out and restarted. Logged back in, got to playing again and a few minutes later it did it again.

> > > >

> > > > I've gone into troubleshooting, PSU is 850 watts and working fine, CPU and GPU temps are good (ran benchmarks/stress tests to see if its a power/heat issue), I've re-seated the graphics card (and swapped PCI slots), I've played other games to see if they have any kind of issues (none found). I have run the GW2 Repair feature. I have Reinstalled GW2. I have DDU'ed and Re-installed the graphics drivers again. I've tried running the graphics card on "Debug Mode" which runs the card at Base clock speeds (for testing/possibly OC sensitive games). With all of these computer restarts while playing, I receive no error messages and the windows Event Logs show nothing other than the computer restarting without being properly shut down.

> > > >

> > > > I am at the end of ideas...The only thing I can think that could be causing these reboots is the latest Nvidia driver having some kind of issue with GW2...or GW2 having an issue. I know many will jump on here and say this is a Hardware issue, or a heat issue, or a PSU/Power issue... But it is not...as I have run stress tests to push the system much further than GW2 could ever do...and it runs flawlessly.

> > > >

> > > > I've sent in a ticket...but...Help?

> > >

> > > no error code in event viewer at all? Is it overheating your card when GW2 is running? you say it is good but how did you determine it is? Have your tried an alternate card if you might have one and started GW2? I know you might not have one but it is worth trying regardless of whether it runs right in other software. Seems like a possible driver issue but hard to say.

> > >

> > > I would imagine it is not causing it but is the firmware for your BIOS current? At least something else to check.

> >

> > No error code in event viewer that would signify a critical cause for a shut down. Temps are not getting above 73C. Determined also by running a stress test/benchmark program to make it run at its fullest. No shutdowns/issues there (power or heat). The 2 cards I was using (2x GTX 970's) ran the game without any issues (in regards to shutting down, freezing, or anything like that..game ran as intended.) but it wasnt until i changed them out for the 1080ti that this issue of my computer restarting while the game was running began. (It has already happened a couple times today. one was after 58 minutes of playing, and the most recent, just now, after 3 hours 18 minutes.)

> >

> > Since the new graphics card installation, I have not had a computer shutdown running any other game/program except for GW2.

>

> Is your heat sink making the correct contact to your CPU? I know it probably is but those times it is taking to tank on you is a bit weird and not even close the same.

>

> I am guessing you checked the temps while the game was running as well.

>

> Try a new driver just don't try the most current driver. See if you can load one that is 1 or 2 steps back from the current one and play more and see if it changes maybe. Not sure what the dates are on their most current driver. I don't use a NVidia card and I use Linux so it has been a while since I tinkered with MS Windows video drivers.

I thought about doing that...DDU the current driver and resort back to a driver maybe a month or two back. Doesn't hurt to try...

Heat sink is properly secured. It is not a clip on type, it mounts directly to the CPU via attaching to the backplate.

-----EDIT-----

Now I know for sure it has to be something with GW2. As I was tabbed out of GW2 writing the above response...everything was all good...but the MOMENT I tabbed back in (just the instant the picture flashed on the monitor) my computer restarted. There has to be something going on with the way this game is running that is causing some sort of critical failure causing this computer to dump like it is. It has got to be the driver....has to be....

Delete %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/Local.dat. It can sometimes cause problems (generally stuttering / low FPS) when your hardware changes. Launch GW2 using the option -windowed

Try turning off shadows in the options, considering they recently had a patch to fix shadows on 10-series GTX GPUs.

Update your BIOS.

> @"Healix.5819" said:

> Delete %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/Local.dat. It can sometimes cause problems (generally stuttering / low FPS) when your hardware changes. Launch GW2 using the option -windowed

>

> Try turning off shadows in the options, considering they recently had a patch to fix shadows on 10-series GTX GPUs.

>

> Update your BIOS.

Deleted the Local.dat. Ran the game in windowed. Turned off Shadows in the graphics settings (BIOS already at most recent update).... Rebooted within 5 minutes of playing. Thanks though.

Re-installed my old graphics card setup (2x GTX970 SLI) and no restarts/reboots. Either the card is just not good for GW2 (I would expect others to be reporting this)...or there is something wrong with the card that GW2 happens to find/exploit/cause problems with. Something the benchmarks/stress tests just aren't stumbling upon. No idea. Going to return the graphics card and probably see what happens when the 1180's come out...

This is most likely to be a PSU issue, that 1080ti is way more powerful that the 970s even in SLI, its probably pulling way more power and putting the PSU under stress, thus it cannot provide the power needed, hence why when you put the old card back in the computer is stable again.

Most times ( not always ) but most, when a computer completely shuts off its power related, and it will be stable until you put the computer under stress.

I personally if I where you, would try a different PSU, I know you stated you have an 850watt, but anything can be damaged, and not show problems until its stressed.

For what its worth, I run a Nvidia 1080 at 1440p and have no issues at all with the game, I also have several friends who run the 1080ti and have no issues either.