I realized why Jackal annoys me

Ohoni.6057

A lot of people seem to like the Jackal mount, and it definitely has its positives, but I found riding it frustrating and it took me a while to figure out why. I tend to use strafing a lot in the game, looking in one direction but holding strafe to move diagonally rather than directly forward. The Jackal teleport ignores your direction of travel and just launches to where the camera is pointed, which in my case means it's constantly going in a direction I didn't want it to go. I really wish that they could change this, so that the Jackal teleports in the direction your character would be going on foot when you hit the keys.

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> Would a semi-transparent arrow ahead of the jackal help the player? Something that could be toggled on and off if the player if didn't want it.

That doesn't address the real problem and adds visual clutter, though.

The Raptor jumps straight ahead, whether the camera is moved with the left or the right mouse button. The Jackal always teleports in the direction the camera is looking

> @Fermi.2409 said:

> > @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> > Would a semi-transparent arrow ahead of the jackal help the player? Something that could be toggled on and off if the player if didn't want it.

>

> That doesn't address the real problem and adds visual clutter, though.

>

> The Raptor jumps straight ahead, whether the camera is moved with the left or the right mouse button. The Jackal always teleports in the direction the camera is looking

Good job, you have discovered how different mounts unique mechanics function, why try to make them identical when they are fine as they are, different to one another?

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> Interesting.

> I've had the same issue with intended aim and actual aim on certain weapons.

> Would a semi-transparent arrow ahead of the jackal help the player? Something that could be toggled on and off if the player if didn't want it.

It might be helpful as an indicator, but honestly I don't think it would matter much to me, my issue is more that it doesn't go where I'd want it, than that I can't predict where it will go.

> @Sazukikrah.5036 said:

> the thing that annoys me is that jackal is linear ports... it can only go in a straight line.... I thought it could port up or down .

Yeah, although I imagine a Jackal that could teleport upwards would REALLY make the others mostly obsolete. Most of the multi-mount "puzzles" seem to be based around needing to use the Raptor or Jackal for distance and then the Springer for height. I like that they can't do all the things best.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> Doesn't that happen with other Mounts, as well? I know in the Demo I had issue with the Raptor jumping where the camera was looking, rather than where my character was pointed. Maybe it has changed; haven't really tried it out on live.

Like JustaFleshWound noted, the Jackal leaps where _it_ is pointed, so if you quickly snap in a new direction it might not jump in that exact direction, but if you've been running in a diagonal long enough for it to adjust its direction, it will move in that direction. Same with the Springer leap.

> @Xbon.9086 said:

> I use action cam and it works as intended for me. if it didn't port towards where my camera was pointing, it would be very strange.

Then that could be a setting that varies depending on if you're in action cam or not.

> @VaaCrow.3076 said:

> Good job, you have discovered how different mounts unique mechanics function, why try to make them identical when they are fine as they are, different to one another?

I don't mind that they are different, but I just don't like how the Jackal's movement _feels._ It goes against my instincts too much. Maybe I'll get used to it, but I just don't like it.

> @Fermi.2409 said:

> Because the Jackal is the only thing in this game that acts this way and that kind of inconsistency is unnecessary and obnoxious?

That's the thing, though. The fact that the jackal changes orientation while in midair is a pair of their functionality. Sometimes, you're going to WANT to teleport around an obstacle to get somewhere, and moving the camera is how you do it.

In other words, "It's not a flaw, it's a feature." And this isn't meant sarcastically, but sincerely. Learn how to use it properly, and you'll like the jackal more.

> @Rognik.2579 said:

> > @Fermi.2409 said:

> > Because the Jackal is the only thing in this game that acts this way and that kind of inconsistency is unnecessary and obnoxious?

> That's the thing, though. The fact that the jackal changes orientation while in midair is a pair of their functionality. Sometimes, you're going to WANT to teleport around an obstacle to get somewhere, and moving the camera is how you do it.

> In other words, "It's not a flaw, it's a feature." And this isn't meant sarcastically, but sincerely. Learn how to use it properly, and you'll like the jackal more.

It's not the only way though. you can also "change indicated direction" by changing key presses. That's how normal movement works.

Say my camera is pointed north. I want to make three hops, one hop north, one hop NE, one hop West. In the current game, I would have to press space, then swing my camera 45 degrees to the right, then swing my camera 75 degrees to the left, teleporting and moving forward in space on each hop. If key-press commands would work instead, then I could keep the camera facing north throughout the sequence, hold "forward," press space, then add "right", then release both and hold "left."

Now which seems easier to you is entirely subjective, but to me complex motions are easiest with a consistent viewpoint, and teleporting around with a wildly swinging camera is very disorienting.

> In other words, "It's not a flaw, it's a feature." And this isn't meant sarcastically, but sincerely. Learn how to use it properly, and you'll like the jackal more.

I can guarantee you that _I_ will not, but if you enjoy it, then you enjoy it.

>Learn how to use it properly, and you'll like the jackal more

I can use it just fine, I just want consistency in the controls. Allowing the left mouse button to change the camera direction while the right mouse button changes your character's direction means that the current functionality is preserved and the Jackal is brought into alignment with the rest of the game

Stuff like this is the whole point of the jackal. They gave the mounts weight and forward momentum, and then gave the jackal the ability to play with it in unusual ways.

If you don't like the jackal, and currently don't need the jackal, then why not ride one of the others? You're asking for ANet to break the jackal's most important feature when there's a far easier solution.

> @Ohoni.6057 said:

> A lot of people seem to like the Jackal mount, and it definitely has its positives, but I found riding it frustrating and it took me a while to figure out why. I tend to use strafing a lot in the game, looking in one direction but holding strafe to move diagonally rather than directly forward. The Jackal teleport ignores your direction of travel and just launches to where the camera is pointed, which in my case means it's constantly going in a direction I didn't want it to go. I really wish that they could change this, so that the Jackal teleports in the direction your character would be going on foot when you hit the keys.

I love that part because it allows jumping in one direction and in the air teleport into another. I don't think the mount would work **at all** if that were removed, because then the Raptor would just be a factually superior version of it.

The Jackal is meant to be this way. Think of it more like savage leap or swoop when you're using action cam. It goes in the direction of your camera.

I have no problems using the Jackal, and actually take full advantage of the fact that you can use the teleport to turn on a dime... because, in case you haven't realized, mounts have a wide turn arc. In fact, making it so the teleport works in the direction of the mount's movement would completely break one of the benefits of even using it.

I'll take that direction-of-the-camera movement from ya for my thief. I detest my thief dodging in some random damn direction instead of the direction I'm pointing. It does that every bloody time, and I hate it. However, if I go back to my main character, it dodges in the direction of my camera regardless of character's facing direction. So, like I said, I'll be happy to take your jackal's problem and apply to my own. Hate isn't a strong enough word for thief's oddities like this.

> @Palador.2170 said:

> Stuff like this is the whole point of the jackal. They gave the mounts weight and forward momentum, and then gave the jackal the ability to play with it in unusual ways.

>

> If you don't like the jackal, and currently don't need the jackal, then why not ride one of the others? You're asking for ANet to break the jackal's most important feature when there's a far easier solution.

The desire is to have the interaction of the camera and movement match that of every other mount or ability in the game. There should be a way to do both.