VSync?

Love Tech Support, am not clear on which to use below or

should both be on?...for ease of hardware/game?

Played a game that was GPU intensive, CPU intensive new to me.

Altho, Crystal Desert can give me 77degree GPU...with 68CPU.

60FPS. Depending where else on the Map, FPS can be lower.

Specs:

Desktop I7-6700-Skylake

Nividia dedicated-1070

Nividia Control: Power - Global Optimal

VSync - Global Adaptive

Monitor: Generic - 60hz/Resolution - 1680x1050

InGame: Frame Limiter - 60

VSync off/on?

Trying to be specific. Thank you!

I play in non-fullscreen modes at 60Hz and getting rid of the frame limiter and only using Vsync gives me much better performance at smooth FPS (AMD R9 390 here though). The frame limiter chops everything to hell.

(I was particularly surprised by this as I always thought the DWM would already force a Vsync on games in windowed modes, but that doesn't seem to be the case with GW2.)

> @"Ray Koopa.2354" said:

> I play in non-fullscreen modes at 60Hz and getting rid of the frame limiter and only using Vsync gives me much better performance at smooth FPS (AMD R9 390 here though). The frame limiter chops everything to hell.

> (I was particularly surprised by this as I always thought the DWM would already force a Vsync on games in windowed modes, but that doesn't seem to be the case with GW2.)

Thanks. Working with Windowed Mode. Will need to lookup Frame limiter, don't even know what it does. Don't see an option to get rid of it, tho.

Not clear...do the Graphics Options in the Game, override the settings on my machine or vice-versa? Can't tell.

It's all in the in-game graphics options. You select "Unlimited" for the Frame Limiter option (instead of 30 or 60) to practically disable it. It otherwise prevents the game from rendering more than the given number of frames over the second. But it doesn't care about vertical blanks / VSync.

> @"Ray Koopa.2354" said:

> It's all in the in-game graphics options. You select "Unlimited" for the Frame Limiter option (instead of 30 or 60) to practically disable it. It otherwise prevents the game from rendering more than the given number of frames over the second. But it doesn't care about vertical blanks / VSync.

Ahh, thanks very much.

Playing in window/borderless-window mode applies VSync + rTB which causes horrible frametimes (stuttering) at framerates below and above you monitor refresh rate.

You can not disable this (it's predefined by the Windows OS!) unless you run Free-Sync or G-Sync as both AMD and Nvidia have hacks in their drivers to disable the obligatory VSync. If you don't have such a monitor you will never get a smooth experience in any window mode. It's technically not possible! If you feel a smooth experience, your feelings don't match the reality.

Play either:

- native fullscreen with VSync + cTB (= render ahead queue) and don't drop below you monitor refresh rate (in this mode you can't get above your refreshrate anyway)

- native fullscreen without VSync at all (you will get tearing issues!)

- any mode with G-Sync / Free-Sync (the best experience you can have)

Btw. on top of the stuttering issues, window and borderless window have a significantly lower performance than native fullscreen.