New player, is necro really UP?

Legostyle.2718

It's mostly considered UP in high-end pve, mostly because it's toolkit doesn't contain many useful things to a really good group. Even then it does have some niche places there; Mursaat Overseer, Soulless Horror, and Sabetha come to mind, or for it's really strong rezzes with groups that are learning and have lots of downs. It's considered one of the stronger classes in WvW. I'm not entirely sure about PvP, but I believe it can be pretty oppressive there with it's boon corruptions and area denial.

Like Fatalyz said, it's difficult to really state if the necromancer is UP or not. However, what's sure is that you might suffer from discrimination in high end PvE and from toxic players in PvP just based on the profession you use. You'll mostly be welcome in WvW zergs thought.

Edit: Switching or not is a decision on your own. Personnally I'd recommand you to try all professions before deciding which one you really want to play. Levling in this game is pretty quick and easy anyway.

Necro is an **awesome** choice for beginner player. I'm a 3 year necro main, i know my profession and i can say you need not fear. Better yet - if you're feeling ok with it, then know core necro is rather lackluster. When you get to lvl 80 and start unlocking reaper and scourge it'll skyrocket.

In open world PvE (which is what you'll be doing now for a quite a while necro is good and will not let you down. Once you become reaper you can scratch "good" and replace it with "awesome". High end pve means raids and yes there's we're #1 unwanted profession. But if you get group of friends or a guild you may still get in. Keep in mind that you don't really need raids for anything other then bragging rights or starting a legendary ring. Everything else is decorative or can be obtained via another game mode as well.

And underwater necro is a God of Death. If you hate underwater content you'll love being necro. Get reaper and you'll be terror of the seas in no time flat.

In spvp necro is a special case - don't expect easy here. It is a custom to "target necro first" and delete him 5v1. Because it works since necro does not have "0 damage" panic buttons like others. For that reason necro often needs support from his team. In return however he can really mess a teamfight for enemy with his aoe damage spam, constant condi harass, and boon corrupts flying left and right.

In WvW i'll let others talk, but it is generally public knowledge that necro is staple of zerg fights.

I think that for beginner player necro may be the best profession out there. Not only does he provide strong sustain and is forgiving of mistakes, but he also has far wider array of playstyles then most. Good luck learning about boon strip and corrupts on a ranger. And have fun understanding how various types of defenses work vs given types of attacks on a warrior with his "one button to solve all, after that panic!" gameplay.

Not to mention tons of builds that you can make and they will work with necro. There are few things in this game you cannot do as a necro (boonspam being one of them), which makes him a nice, putrid, rotting mr. Potato to cater to your needs as you see fit!

> @"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:

> Necro is an **awesome** choice for beginner player. I'm a 3 year necro main, i know my profession and i can say you need not fear. Better yet - if you're feeling ok with it, then know core necro is rather lackluster. When you get to lvl 80 and start unlocking reaper and scourge it'll skyrocket.

>

> In open world PvE (which is what you'll be doing now for a quite a while necro is good and will not let you down. Once you become reaper you can scratch "good" and replace it with "awesome". High end pve means raids and yes there's we're #1 unwanted profession. But if you get group of friends or a guild you may still get in. Keep in mind that you don't really need raids for anything other then bragging rights or starting a legendary ring. Everything else is decorative or can be obtained via another game mode as well.

>

> And underwater necro is a God of Death. If you hate underwater content you'll love being necro. Get reaper and you'll be terror of the seas in no time flat.

>

> In spvp necro is a special case - don't expect easy here. It is a custom to "target necro first" and delete him 5v1. Because it works since necro does not have "0 damage" panic buttons like others. For that reason necro often needs support from his team. In return however he can really mess a teamfight for enemy with his aoe damage spam, constant condi harass, and boon corrupts flying left and right.

>

> In WvW i'll let others talk, but it is generally public knowledge that necro is staple of zerg fights.

>

>

> I think that for beginner player necro may be the best profession out there. Not only does he provide strong sustain and is forgiving of mistakes, but he also has far wider array of playstyles then most. Good luck learning about boon strip and corrupts on a ranger. And have fun understanding how various types of defenses work vs given types of attacks on a warrior with his "one button to solve all, after that panic!" gameplay.

>

> Not to mention tons of builds that you can make and they will work with necro. There are few things in this game you cannot do as a necro (boonspam being one of them), which makes him a nice, putrid, rotting mr. Potato to cater to your needs as you see fit!

Ok thanks!

Depends on the game mode you play. Pvp and wvw, necros are decent to godly depending on your babysitter, a sitting duck if you don't have 1. Though if you know how to read your opponents, bait them into enclosed areas where they can't easily get away, landing an axe 2 to the face is deadly. If you can't do any of those, other classes will dance around you and your slow cast times; blinking, shadowstepping, or moving out of your axe range with mobility skills built in on their weapons. In pve, necros were the bottom of the dps barrel and offered very little experienced groups would want or need that other classes could offer more of. Boon corrupt, the reason necro was godly in pvp/wvw is moot in pve due to either mobs not generating boons, bopns generated by mobs not stopping players from blowing them up almost instantly, or having a defiance bar that rendered the condis.you converted their boons into ineffective (outsode of soft cc for defiance bar breaking). They were however easy mode when playing with bad to average pugs due to blood magic rezing capabilities.

Edited for spell check, prob missed a few

> @"Legostyle.2718" said:

> I leveled my necro to level 30 before deciding to buy the game, but now i am hearing necro is UP, should i switch or no? Also how underpowered is necro, and in what modes?

Don't put too much stock into what other people say. Play what you find fun. What they see as UP may not be an issue for you. And even if it is UP it can still be fun. After all, you can play an OP profession and have no fun at all. Try everything out and make a choice based on your experience with the professions and not other people's biases.