Anniversary Video Discussion

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Fenar.4025" said:

> > Where was it stated that it would have 6 episodes? They said we are moving into the second half. That could be true with just 5 episodes.

>

> Somewhere on this forum or Reddit, I don't remember. There was a link in another thread.

In some of their recent aniversary promotion material, Anet says "We are extremely excited for you to experience the explosive second half of Season Four..." From this, people speculated this means that Season 4 has 6 episodes. But it could also be 5. Saying 6 is just an assumption.

Also, there is nothing that says Season 5 has to be the same length.

> @"Vieux P.1238" said:

> > @"KuRupT.3512" said:

> > > @"Vieux P.1238" said:

> > > **Best decision they made not to come out with an expansion. **They need to put all resources & all teams to figure out Gw2 future. Cuz in a few years, there be a few western MMO contenders that will beat hands down Gw2. & after 6 years, they just figured out no amount of Expansion or content will permanently fix game issues.

> > > I don't care how many cool trailers they come out with. After 6 years, Between story telling & direction the game went, in my view abysmal. Every year, should of been a 100 times better. But we only got hype & delusion & deception. Dont agree? I don't care. The Many that does has left the game.

> > > This game has so much potential. But will lose in the long run if they don't figure themselves out.

> >

> > That happens in most games tho, I don't get it

>

> I don't agree. Great example of a 100x times better year after year is tory teling in WoW. Good immersive & just plain old cool cinematics. As for the rest of the game itself, i will admit, pretty questionable. But that's where Gw2 should be focusing on surpassing them. Game & story line. While i will admit gw2 stories got better, still not as immersive & attention grabbing as WoW's or other's as a matter of fact.

You mean the story you can blow through in one weekend, and then spend next 2 months dungeon grinding, then another 4 on Raid grinding once it opens up? Also, I've already seen Black Panther.

@"Lucius.2140" said:

> - The living world its way better than LS1 was and have a tailored and probed model.

Have to disagree there too, LS1 was way far better than what we have now, have you zapped the marionette, tower of nightmare, evacuation of lion's arch, aetherblade invasions and the first time we discovered Southsun Cove? I never saw such good content again, wasn't a mess, was a real period of intense tensions, farming and emotions! Enjoyed all the times passed to evacuate lion's arch residents when miasma in air! What we got recently? ls3 is meh especially bitterfrost frontier, nothing here apart the berries farm, haven't you seen the unfinished Gandara in Episode 3 of living season 4? All of these brought me several questions about the future contents quality and repeatability (not speaking of unfinished metas). I want brain-blowing mechanics like the magneton Lab or portal forge of sandswept Isles... More jump pads like at Aetherblade Sites, anti-gravity zones, play with gravity, portal, move assets to solve a puzzle dunno! Domain of kourna has 0 inspirations, a flat map even the front line don't feel like a front line for me. No need to have new maps where you can do awesome map sized event in open world! Here is a little list:

-LS1 Synergetic, static and dynamic knights during scarlet events.

-LS1 Tower of nightmare and all the content in it + the toxic buds

-Knock Knock events during the first halloween

-Branded event during BETA where YOU can incarnate a branded

-Awakened Invasions around the world

-Ley-line anomalies

-Introduction of dry top, silverwastes...

Listen, You all actually making good point's all above. But adding more content is not the solution. The last 6 years was spent adding new content & dungeon types such as Fractals & Raids with some measure of success. But after all them years, Gw2 has not reached it's potential in terms of mmo. Don't be fooled that it takes time to do so. An MMO is either way. Once run threw it's content.....Either it's an inta success or insta disappointment. There's no we need time to feel it out. In my view, the direction was flawd from start. They had some good ideas in theory. But in the end din't work. & instead of scratching it start over with something else. They just kept on fixing & fixing what was not interesting to players from the start. The core problem is not the content or lack of. The core problem is the whole game mechanics. The goal mechanics. The what makes you compete or want to thrive in this game mechanics. They've taken out anything remotely feeling competitive & made it friendly. Well friendly don't keep players playing. & unless changes is on the rise, It's gonna be replaced by someone else.

All I'm saying is whatever they decide to do it *works*. All too often we are met with bugs and crashes when we have a update.

oh, and take as long as you need for that expansion. I'd rather a polished piece then a rush job because someone on the forum complained.

> @"Ashabhi.1365" said:

> Oh, and on making a GW3? It wouldn't surprise me. They announced GW2 a mere 2 years after GW1 launched. Yeah, it took them 5 years to build, but knowing this, they could be working on a GW3 and just keeping it quiet until they get a few years closer to release. For all we know, once we take care of Bubbles, there will be a GW3 instead of yet another expac.

I remain skeptical that GW3 is coming.

Making GW2 made sense. If ArenaNet wanted to do something grander, with a larger scale, open areas, and dynamic events, they weren't going to be able to do that within GW1's framework. They needed something new. On top of that, the environment for new MMORPGs was very different when GW2 started development (and when it released) than it is now.

It's possible that there's some incredible, pie-in-the-sky thing that ArenaNet wants to do that they can't with GW2, and it would be so good that it's worth the gigantic cost (and huge risk) involved in making a whole new MMORPG. One thing could be that improving GW2's engine is impossible--maybe there's just too much tied up in there for any meaningful improvements to be made--in which case maybe moving to a sequel would be warranted. Or maybe ArenaNet wants to try creating a more open sandbox, something with the freeform and exploratory nature that the canceled EverQuest Next promised, and that would require a new game, too. But I kind of doubt it. MMO sequels don't happen often and they succeed even less often, just because leaving behind your characters and progress to jump to a new, unproven game that necessarily has significantly less content is a truly huge thing to ask of players.

Not to mention that launching a new MMORPG these days is sort of like jumping out of an airplane without a parachute. Yeah, you _might_ survive, a couple of people have, but the odds really aren't in your favor.

> @"Susy.7529" said:

> I must say I'm a bit sad by that announcement, I was expecting the new expansion to be released after S4. Thoughts?

Nope there's another year at least before another expansion came out. LEAST. it could be a little longer and probably will be.

As someone said way above, art cannot be rushed. I'm kinda glad they're focusing on the living season stories rather then flopping another expansion out just yet. Gives a little bit of breathing room between the expansions (and my wallet, eheh). Whenever they do put a expansion out I'm sure it's going to be great. They can take all the time they need.

> @"Xar.1387" said:

> Video is fine. But why only 4k views?

Cause they don't do a very good job of letting people know stuff is out there. I can't even find a link to it on the GW2 page. I watched the interview, but this thread is the first time I heard of the anniversary video.

> @"hugo.4705" said:

> @"Lucius.2140" said:

> > - The living world its way better than LS1 was and have a tailored and probed model.

>

> Have to disagree there too, LS1 was way far better than what we have now, have you zapped the marionette, tower of nightmare, evacuation of lion's arch, aetherblade invasions and the first time we discovered Southsun Cove? I never saw such good content again, wasn't a mess, was a real period of intense tensions, farming and emotions! Enjoyed all the times passed to evacuate lion's arch residents when miasma in air! What we got recently? ls3 is meh especially bitterfrost frontier, nothing here apart the berries farm, haven't you seen the unfinished Gandara in Episode 3 of living season 4? All of these brought me several questions about the future contents quality and repeatability (not speaking of unfinished metas). I want brain-blowing mechanics like the magneton Lab or portal forge of sandswept Isles... More jump pads like at Aetherblade Sites, anti-gravity zones, play with gravity, portal, move assets to solve a puzzle dunno! Domain of kourna has 0 inspirations, a flat map even the front line don't feel like a front line for me. No need to have new maps where you can do awesome map sized event in open world! Here is a little list:

> -LS1 Synergetic, static and dynamic knights during scarlet events.

> -LS1 Tower of nightmare and all the content in it + the toxic buds

> -Knock Knock events during the first halloween

> -Branded event during BETA where YOU can incarnate a branded

> -Awakened Invasions around the world

> -Ley-line anomalies

> -Introduction of dry top, silverwastes...

Gonna disagree with you: LWS1 was stressful as hell and not fun, the pace of it was insane and for me at least i was unable to keep up with it due to RL(see military) and therefore missed a bunch of the things you listed. Thank god they slowed down, cause if they hadnt i would have ended up quitting the game alltogether. Knowing that being out to sea for 3-4 weeks meant missing a chunk of the story and a deployment meant missing much much more was awful, and all of that content was super grindy and messy. Missing a single day often meant sacrificing something just because real life got in the way(how dare the playerbase have a life.)

Things i missed due to RL: Battle of LA, Nightmare tower, Southsun cove, the redone tequatl which i think happened later.

I was there for the aetherblades, and part of the molten alliance, thats all i got to see out of all of LW1 which is just freaking terrible for as long as it went on.

The new maps we got with LW3, and 4 are decent, they remind me more of the old game and i like that, outside of Gandara i even like Kourna, new maps are needed cause i can only replay the same maps with the same events before i lose interest entirely, thankfully the pacing they have now is decent for my actual life and i appreciate it.

Yup, that's sad you missed them, was awesome, yeah I know Ii might have been stressful for some players, but not in my case when I hear "A breathing living world" that is what I'm waiting for: pew pew, explosions, drama, tensions and stress, without these elements I would have less appreciated LS1! Was great that scarlet had her hands over the arch sending knights and miasmas! Whereas in our last map, what do we have? Always the same dialogs and events in a loop like if you and you're toon are stuck in a specific time period (like we were all in a fractal since the beginning). I totally receive your argument of chilling where all the things happened very fast during LS1. Again agreed on the fact they don't care of your life, when re-thinking of LS1, I Should have farmed more, was in exams during that period and only miss great part of tower of nightmare, for me, not stressful at all as gameplay but more as your life and the game. To end that comment, was a really good thing and fun for me, nostalgic about that period. ;)

Same with PoF expansion announcement video. Just 300+k views. While wow's legion got 11 milions...

It could get 1 or 2 milions easly.

ArenaNet should really work harder on their marketing. And game promotion.

They're doing pretty good job with their game, but it doesnt matter at all when noone knows it...

Even TESO or FF14 got better numbers :-1:

I feel like the game promotion ended in 2012. With game release. Tbh

I watched the stream the other night and it got up to just over 1k views. Someone instantly said the game had died.

I found the video btw by accident as it were, on a 'news page' then it appeared as a re-tweet on my twitter. I think they need to say there's a video on log in and maybe a forum post or something ( another forum i'm on has alerts) so people know as well.

Then again maybe this community aren't interested in videos and just want to play? I'm not getting too hung up on viewing figures.

> @"Fraghound.5730" said:

> As someone said way above, art cannot be rushed. I'm kinda glad they're focusing on the living season stories rather then flopping another expansion out just yet. Gives a little bit of breathing room between the expansions (and my wallet, eheh). Whenever they do put a expansion out I'm sure it's going to be great. They can take all the time they need.

That actually made me smile since they rushed Episode 3 and released an unfinished map and don't even try to fix it.

> @"Xar.1387" said:

> Video is fine. But why only 4k views?

Like other people already said: ArenaNet sucks at publishing stuff appropriately. And to be honest: Why should people be hyped about GW2? The main-attraction is open-world-content. Other stuff like raids, PvP and WvW are just niche game-modes and struggle with accessibility-problems. Open-world-stuff on the other hand is just boring because it's utterly uninnovative and far too repetitive. It's also basically just single-player-content. So why should people care? ArenaNet needs to spice up its LW-formula, else the game will suffer from bland and useless maps which will lead to at least a felt content-drought.

> @"Dami.5046" said:

> I watched the stream the other night and it got up to just over 1k views. Someone instantly said the game had died.

> I found the video btw by accident as it were, on a 'news page' then it appeared as a re-tweet on my twitter. I think they need to say there's a video on log in and maybe a forum post or something ( another forum i'm on has alerts) so people know as well.

> Then again maybe this community aren't interested in videos and just want to play? I'm not getting too hung up on viewing figures.

The news site (a.k.a. this website's main page) is being fed into the launcher when you start the game. How about reading the news for a change? ;)

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Dami.5046" said:

> > I watched the stream the other night and it got up to just over 1k views. Someone instantly said the game had died.

> > I found the video btw by accident as it were, on a 'news page' then it appeared as a re-tweet on my twitter. I think they need to say there's a video on log in and maybe a forum post or something ( another forum i'm on has alerts) so people know as well.

> > Then again maybe this community aren't interested in videos and just want to play? I'm not getting too hung up on viewing figures.

>

> The news site (a.k.a. this website's main page) is being fed into the launcher when you start the game. How about reading the news for a change? ;)

sigh

> @"Agent Noun.7350" said:

> > @"Ashabhi.1365" said:

> > Oh, and on making a GW3? It wouldn't surprise me. They announced GW2 a mere 2 years after GW1 launched. Yeah, it took them 5 years to build, but knowing this, they could be working on a GW3 and just keeping it quiet until they get a few years closer to release. For all we know, once we take care of Bubbles, there will be a GW3 instead of yet another expac.

>

> I remain skeptical that GW3 is coming.

>

> Making GW2 made sense. If ArenaNet wanted to do something grander, with a larger scale, open areas, and dynamic events, they weren't going to be able to do that within GW1's framework. They needed something new. On top of that, the environment for new MMORPGs was very different when GW2 started development (and when it released) than it is now.

>

> It's possible that there's some incredible, pie-in-the-sky thing that ArenaNet wants to do that they can't with GW2, and it would be so good that it's worth the gigantic cost (and huge risk) involved in making a whole new MMORPG. One thing could be that improving GW2's engine is impossible--maybe there's just too much tied up in there for any meaningful improvements to be made--in which case maybe moving to a sequel would be warranted. Or maybe ArenaNet wants to try creating a more open sandbox, something with the freeform and exploratory nature that the canceled EverQuest Next promised, and that would require a new game, too. But I kind of doubt it. MMO sequels don't happen often and they succeed even less often, just because leaving behind your characters and progress to jump to a new, unproven game that necessarily has significantly less content is a truly huge thing to ask of players.

>

> Not to mention that launching a new MMORPG these days is sort of like jumping out of an airplane without a parachute. Yeah, you _might_ survive, a couple of people have, but the odds really aren't in your favor.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I merely suggested that it might be within the realm of possibility. It could also be within the realm of possibility that once we finish with all the elder dragons, we're done, and there won't be any more content updates, just existing mechanics tweaks. I tend to believe that it will be somewhere in the middle. Once we finish with dragons, there's still a lot left undone, such as finding our way back to the Underworld. Maybe we'll go to war with the Lagos. Maybe we'll find a lost tribe of dwarves that haven't turned to stone. FOr that matter, Primordus or Jormag could wake back up for some reason. None of those possibilities would mean the building of a whole new game, but they would be further adventures that could either be Living Stories or even Expansions.