Just Picked up HoT+PoF - Can I get Mount Before Starting HoT?

> @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> > @"Corax.7692" said:

> > > @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> > > > @"Corax.7692" said:

> > > > > @"Zushada.6108" said:

> > > > > My only wish is that the Griffon could use updrafts because I have died A LOT forgetting that I am on the Griffon and not gliding and you can't dismount midair.

> > > >

> > > > This is one of those chinks in game design that really irritate me. Obviously a griffon should be able to use an updraft! But no, arbitrary game logic applies rather than sensible physics.

> > > >

> > > > Then again, I sucked at jumping puzzles for so long because it never occurred to me that I could use the movement keys while mid-air. :-D Now that I know that, jumping puzzles are almost fun.

> > >

> > > It's a seperation of expansions. If Griffons could use updrafts then it would make gliding, the entire Heart of Thorns core mechanic, completely obsolete. It's NEVER a good idea to make content exclusive to the second expansion so useful that it effectively removes content exclusive to the first expansion from the game.

> >

> > That is a marketing argument. As a player, and someone who cares about design and immersion, I find it arbitrary and pointless.

>

> And yet another player who only has HoT and not PoF might feel that it is horrendously unfair if PoF players can, through buying another expansion, do all the things their expansion exclusive movement buff can but better. It's not just marketing, it's about a single person's immersion not being the only opinion that matters. There are no updrafts on PoF maps either. They segregate their expansions and mechanics so that someone who can afford one but not the other doesn't feel like the other has the advantage.

Fair points, but on HoT maps, you'll have a glider anyhow, and they still have their own unique and well-motivated mechanics such as lean techniques, stealth gliding, ley-line gliding, and of course, ability to deploy and undeploy mid-air (which is another point of contention about mounts, for some people).

But this is drifting well off the topic of the thread, and needn't turn into a big argument, so I'll just stop right there. :-)