Next Elite Spec: Buccaneer

RockDemon.3627

Thief Elite Specialization: Buccaneer

Hello everyone. I felt inspired with a possible new specialization suggestion, and thought I would type it up. This is a detailed guide of all slot skills, traits, and weapon skills.

To give you some background, I like daredevil and am still quite fond of the old core vanilla thief. Don't care much for deadeye. Hoping to help encourage bringing some of that feel forward in future patches, if popular demand is like minded. I have over 5000 hours played on thief over the last 6 years in WvW and PvE, and another 2000 in other classes, again mostly in WvW and PvE.

This spec brings in access to off-hand sword and is generally pirate themed. I felt this would have synergy with and expand upon existing content. It needs some more balancing since this is first draft work, but please share comments. Thank you.

# **Slot Skills**

## Heal

_Crow Nest_

"Ruffian. Leap toward your destination while healing, evading attacks, and curing conditions."

Casting time: 0.0 seconds

Animation time: 0.5 seconds

Healing: 4,800 (0.66)

Chilled Condition removed

Crippled Condition removed

Immobile Condition removed

Torment Condition removed

Evade: 0.5 seconds

Combo Finisher: Leap

Range: 600

Recharge: 20 seconds

Target: Ground targeted.

Animation: Like Vault [&BoV3AAA=] or Bound [&Bpl5AAA=] except without the ground smash at the end.

Notes: If you click the skill instead of ground target, you cast and leap at your current position per default behavior.

Comments: A ground targeted movement heal! Can be used offensively for positioning purposes, or defensively for the leap/evade.

## Ruffian Utility #1

_Vortex Kick_

"Ruffian. Daze foes around you with a kick that does extra damage when you successfully break a stun."

Damage: 450 (1.4)

Damage when breaking stun: 900 (2.8)

Number of Targets: 3

Radius: 130

Evade: 0.50 seconds

Combo Finisher: Whirl

Daze (0.25 seconds): Unable to use skills.

Breaks Stun.

Recharge: 30 seconds

Target: Yourself (AoE around you).

Animation: Inspired by a miniboss "Shiva" in Streets of Rage 2 for Sega Genesys.

See following Youtube link (0:18 - 0:21).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aELhHGUEhz0;t=0m18s

Notes: You cannot move during the animation.

Comments: This is intended to be commonly used in PvP/WvW, much like Bandit's Defense [&BsV3AAA=] or Shadowstep [&BsoyAAA=] but somewhat unlike Fist Flurry [&BpR4AAA=]. The goal is a utility that is flexible and best used reactively. Stunbreaks are critical for thief due to how squishy they are when "caught" although it could be used strictly offensively or defensively as well, with less reward. The best application of course would be the intended one: to immediately counter a foe who has just CC'd you at melee range. At the devs' discretion, a slight buff (Launch instead of Daze) and other small changes (higher CD, maybe more damage) could make this an elite instead of a utility.

## Ruffian Utility #2

_Spyglass_

"Ruffian. Taunt and reveal your foe from afar."

Casting time: 0.50 seconds

Animation time: 0.50 seconds

Number of Targets: 1

Revealed (3 seconds): You cannot stealth

Range: 1,200

Taunt 0 to 400 Distance (1 second): Involuntarily attack foes.

Taunt 400 to 800 Distance (2 seconds): Involuntarily attack foes.

Taunt 800 to 1200 Distance (3 seconds): Involuntarily attack foes.

Maximum Count: 2

Recharge: 1 second

Count Recharge: 20 seconds

Target: Single target (must have foe targeted).

Animation: Quickly extend a spyglass directed at your target.

Comments: Thief currently has no access to Taunt that I'm aware of, although gap closing and CC are core for many popular thief builds. Similar to Scorpion Wire [&BtwyAAA=]. Thief doesn't have a ton of ranged CC, so it could be fun to play with both sometimes.

## Ruffian Utility #3

_Admiral's Flask_

"Ruffian. Drink a liquid which causes pain relief, stupor, and lethargy."

Casting time: 0.75 seconds

Animation time: 0.75 seconds

All Conditions removed

Immune to all damage and conditions (6 seconds)

Speed capped at walking rate (6 seconds)

Intoxication/drunk [&BgMDAAA=] (6 seconds) - Screen distortion

Slow [&Bo5oAAA=]: 1.0 seconds

Duration: 6 seconds

Prevents Capture-Point Contribution

Recharge: 40 seconds

Target: Yourself.

Animation: Drink. Like [&BnAbAAA=]

Notes: Upon successful cast, immediately removes access to all weapon and utility skills (like elementalist Mist Form [&BrIVAAA=]). At conclusion of 6 seconds, you have no conditions on you, initiative is at 25% (3 base, or 4 with trickery), endurance is at 25%, and you are slowed (1 second).

Comments: This is like the elementalist Mist Form, except it does not break stun, is longer in duration, reduces move speed instead of increasing, cleanses all conditions, and sets initiative to a static value at its conclusion. A bit of a gimmick. Gives thieves our first invincibility button, in exchange for three of our most critical resources: dodging, initiative, and mobility.

## Ruffian Utility #4

_Anchor Toss_

"Ruffian. Hurl an anchor to capsize your target."

Casting time: 1.00 second

Animation time: 1.50 seconds

Damage: 500 (1.75)

Knockdown: 2 seconds

Number of Targets: 5

Radius: 120

Combo finisher: Blast

Unblockable

Recharge: 30 seconds

Target: Single target (must have foe targeted).

Notes: Anchor should travel at the same rate as Cluster Bomb [&BvEyAAA=]). Anchor should home to target, like Orb of Wrath [&BoojAAA=] and many other projectiles.

Comments: Spongebob thiefpants. Arrg

## Elite #1

_Bombardier's Beloved_

"Ruffian. Hurl then shadowstep to an explosive to devastate your destination."

Damage: 1000 (1.50)

Burning (4 seconds): 500 Damage

Knockback: 120

Radius: 240

Recharge: 60 seconds

Combo Field: Lightning

Field Duration: 4 seconds

Target: Ground targeted.

Animation: Something like a skill from engineer's Grenade Kit [&Bq0WAAA=] with a colored glow, like Death's Judgment [&BjesAAA=] has. Maybe a red&purple gradient around a shadowy grey&black sphere.

Notes: No pulsing effect from the lightning field. Intended to be viable to combo leap finishers (Dazing Strike) from it.

Comments: Gives thief our first (native) access to apply burning and create lightning fields!

# **Traits**

## Minor Proficiency

_"Sword Proficiency"_

You can wield swords in off hand.

## Minor Adept

_"Going Nautical"_

+10% Underwater Damage

Gain access to Ruffian skills.

## Major Adept (Top)

_"Pirate Cove"_

When you grant stealth to an ally, they gain Aegis and Protection (3 seconds).

## Major Adept (Mid)

_"Captain's Blade"_

Movement speed +25% while wielding a sword or dagger (either hand).

## Major Adept (Bot)

_"Tactful Raider"_

Ruffian abilities recharge 20% faster and cleanse one condition.

## Minor Master

_"Unquenchable Greed"_

When you gain a boon, also gain one random boon (Cooldown: 1 second).

Aegis (5s): Block the next incoming attack.

Alacrity (1.5s): Skills recharge faster.

Fury (5s): 20% Critical Chance

Might (5s): 30 Power, 30 Condition Damage

Protection (5s): -33% Incoming Damage

Quickness (1s): Skills and actions are faster.

Regen (5s): 1,300 Heal

Resistance (1s): Conditions currently on you are ineffective; stacks duration.

Retaliation (3s): Reflect incoming damage back to its source.

Stability (3s): Cannot be knocked down, pushed back, pulled, launched, stunned, dazed, floated, sunk, feared or taunted.

Swiftness (5s): 33% Movement Speed

Vigor (5s): 50% Endurance Regeneration

## Major Master (Top)

_"Escamotage"_

Gain stealth (2 seconds) when interrupting a foe.

Notes: Affected by Shadow Arts trait Meld With Shadows [&B3AEAAA=] for 3 seconds total duration, if applicable.

## Major Master (Mid)

_"Sea Legs"_

Gain one stack of stability (1 second) when you evade an attack.

## Major Master (Bot)

_"Demoralize"_

Nearby foes lose up to 100 power and condition damage based on your effective level.

Demoralize: 6 seconds

Interval: 3 seconds

Radius: 600

Combat Only

## Minor Grandmaster

_"Command of the Sea"_

Deal +10% increased damage while you have a boon.

## Major Grandmaster (Top)

_"Shock and Awe"_

Ruffian skills grant 3 seconds superspeed

## Major Grandmaster (Mid)

_"Untraceable"_

Dodging creates a 2 second smoke field which pulses a total of two times, once on dodge and once just before disappearing.

Lesser Black Powder Duration: 2s

Interval: 2s

Radius: 90

Notes: The smoke cannot block projectiles. The smoke does inflict blindness and is usable for smoke combos.

Comments: Think Lesser Caltrops [&Bjg3AAA=] except with Black Powder [&BjkzAAA=]. If I'm not wrong, 2 seconds duration should be enough to get 2 leap finishers through without quickness.

## Major Grandmaster (Bot)

_"Defense in Depth"_

Gain evasion (1 second) when interrupting a foe (Cooldown: 1 second).

Notes: Evade all attacks, like Instant Reflexes [&B1gEAAA=].

# **Weapon Skills**

## Pistol/Sword Dual Skill (#3)

_"Scorched Earth"_

Initiative Cost: 4

Casting time: 0.00 seconds

Damage: 500 (1.25)

Burning (3 seconds): 300 Damage

Radius: 120

Range: 450

Combo field: Fire

Target: Yourself (Original location).

Notes: Pulses every 2 seconds (total 3 pulses).

Animation: A backward flip in the air with the player firing a charged exploding shot while upside down. The shot is aimed at the original location you leapt from.

Comments: Optional buff, for a 0.75 second evade, initiative cost would become 5 instead of 4.

## Dagger/Sword Dual Skill (#3)

_"Shadow Dive"_

Initiative Cost: 4

Damage: 400 (1.25)

Range: 450

Target: Single target, but targeting is not required (like Heartseeker [&BikzAAA=])

Animation: Dive forward into a somersault that strikes with both weapons.

Question: Could this be coded as a Leap finisher for combos, or could that immediately reveal the player (unintended) in some circumstances? Ideally this would be a leap finisher if that can be coded safely without bugs.

Notes: Hits 1 player anywhere along your path during the animation, and stealths upon hit.

Comments: This is like a somersault version of Heartseeker [&BikzAAA=] crossed with Cloak And Dagger [&BjBAAAA=].

## Sword/Sword Dual Skill (#3)

_"Nine-Tipped Strike"_

Animation: Both swords alternate stabbing motions.

Notes: Terrestial version of Nine-Tailed Strike [&BkIzAAA=] (Thief Spear #3)

Comments: I am fond of how Nine-Tailed Strike is currently setup. I would closely mirror those mechanics and stats.

## Sword Off-Hand (#4)

_Fleet Fencing_

"Do an evasive attack over your opponent. If you evade your foe's attack, they are confused and marked for a Pulmonary Impact."

Initiative Cost: 5

Animation time: 0.50 seconds

Damage: 200 (1.50)

Confusion (5 seconds): 250 Damage

Pulmonary Impact Damage: 872 (3.28)

Evade: 0.50 seconds

Combo Finisher: Leap

Range: 130

Number of Targets: 3

Target: Single target, but targeting is not required (like Heartseeker [&BikzAAA=])

Animation: Please see this first video from 1:40 through 1:42

and the second video from 1:13 through 1:16

...to get a rough idea. Travel distance should be further than those videos show. Aerial attack which resembles a cross between Weakening Charge [&Btd0AAA=] and Death Blossom [&Bs4yAAA=].

Notes: Animation travel distance is 300.

Comments: Pun intended. Fleet can mean flying swiftly (leap), or a group of ships (buccaneer).

## Sword Off-Hand (#5)

_Swift Sail_

"Blitz forward, striking foes along your path."

Initiative Cost: 5

Animation time: 1.00 second

Damage: 800 (2.25)

Range: 170

Target: Ground targeted in a direction, like Whirlwind Attack [&Bm84AAA=].

Animation: Similar to Rush [&Bm44AAA=] except the sword is extended forward, laterally toward your right flank.

See this video from 2:10 through 2:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pxIZG1Hjkc&t=2m10s

except both hands are used (both palms facing down and closed over the Off-Hand sword grip on the hilt.

Notes: Animation travel distance is 900 unless cancelled earlier. Can be halted at any time by pressing 5 again, but initiative consumption is unchanged. Hitbox from center, 40 range is toward the hilt (left), and 130 range is toward the tip (right) along the 900 travel path (total 170 range). Rate of movement and animation travel distance is identical to the maximum Bull's Charge [&BrQ4AAA=] capability.

Comments: Imagine if you combined Warrior Greatsword #3 whirlwind, Warrior Greatsword #5 Rush, and Warrior utility Bulls Charge, and altered it. Damage is performed along the path, not just at the destination, much like whirlwind.

# **Catapult Profession Skill #3**

_"Jacob's Ladder"_

Supply Cost: 20 supply (single use)

Casting time: 5.00 seconds

Animation time: 5.00 seconds

Revealed (15 seconds): You cannot stealth

Animation: Like Lion's Arch jumping platforms (aerial cannonball somersaults), with some rope graphics added.

Notes: Binds to Profession Skill #3 which appears just above the endurance bar when a Buccaneer begins using a catapult in WvW. So for thief, Profession Skill #1 is Steal and #2 is to use stolen skills, so #3 is currently unused, so as to avoid any overlap.

Comments: Intended to allow buccaneers to be sent short to medium range over walls and gates into enemy controlled WvW objectives.

i totally like the theme and things like your heal suggestion with that little port and so.

but overall it is too much of everything:

another invuln, ports, combo fields, more rewarding and accessible evades and stealth. im sorry, but no, not happy with these suggestions.

i personally am up for a playstyle that focuses on short ranged ports, but then evades and stealth should be limited.

anyway, good idea so far which could lead to something i would like.

when reading that anchor toss part it was not spongebob what came into my mind, but that alestorm song... im naughty lol..

@ MechVampyre.2903

Too much of everything? I tried to add some fun skills. For serious play, you would commonly use the Ruffian Heal, Vortex Kick Utility, and Elite. The other Utilities are intentionally niche for special situations or builds - or to have fun with! I wouldn't mind dropping an unpopular utility and replacing with something condi focused, for that crowd. That would by my main critique of my own spec, lacking much experience with condi, since it's not my cup of tea.

Lightning and Fire combo fields and new access to Taunt, Burning, Aegis, Superspeed, and Stability! Yes! Thief has no (or extremely limited) access to these items. Providing options helps make the class closer to whole.

My thinking with the invuln was to create something a bit less ordinary - this is one of those niche skills. I feel the negative symptoms I proposed outweigh any feeling of being "Overpowered" but after all maybe it didn't need quite as much "nerfing" - what do you guys think? Plus remember this is going to take a utility slot which you could have used for something else. I was very specific with stats across each section, dooming myself to be detached from perfect balance, but would trust the devs and community to collectively work toward a more polished result.

Ports? The only shadowstep I added is the Elite, which is on a 1 minute cooldown. No other shadowsteps. Thief should be mobile, so there are several movement skills though.

Smoke/Stealth. Yes there's the option for smoke on dodge. This is a different mechanic, but a similar end result to daredevil where you have perma stealth simply be equipping dagger/pistol and having Bound selected in GrandMaster. Instead of initiative for smoke and dodges for leap/stealth, now you can dodge for smoke and use initiative for leap/stealth. Not adding "more" stealth, being an elite spec you can't use other elite specs, just a new arrangement for delivery. Tried to give plenty of combo options to pick from, but each will cost CDs or initiative. However if you take the Untraceable trait, you're missing out on the other GrandMasters (superspeed when you use your Ruffian heal?!). If dagger/dagger backstab hasn't already gone dinosaur era for all but a few skilled thieves, dagger/sword is my intended replacement to make that playstyle (stealthing directly with a weapon-initiative skill) "popular/good" again.

Evades. Granted the evade on Sword #4 should be brief (like 0.25 seconds within the 0.50 second animation) or for a 0.50 second evade maybe the initiative cost should be 5 - (just edited OP to 0.50 second evade and 5 initiative cost). Vortex Kick could be a 30 second cooldown (just edited this in). The heal evade isn't any more OP than Withdraw, and I marked the cooldown higher than withdraw, _maybe_ could be 2 seconds more due to positioning opportunity advantages (leaving at 20sec for now). Whatever limitations satisfy balance and keep things fun. The Defense in Depth trait is adequately gated by CDs, duration, and the need to interrupt a player. Think about it, an interrupted foe won't necessarily have the opportunity to attack you immediately (during your 1 second evade) unless they stunbreak quickly, or you could be 2v1 against a second enemy.

@ derd.6413

Lots of mechanics here, and accommodating the various playstyles (mobility, evade, stealth, burst) in common thief builds. The worst thing is to create a one trick pony. I'm ok with lacking focus by providing many options. It's up to the player to create a focus with the options available, in cooperation with existing trait lines and such. And it's up to the devs to prevent players from creating an overpowered meta build. Sorry but your comment doesn't raise any concerns in my mind.

> @"RockDemon.3627" said:

> @ derd.6413

> Lots of mechanics here, and accommodating the various playstyles (mobility, evade, stealth, burst) in common thief builds. The worst thing is to create a one trick pony. I'm ok with lacking focus by providing many options. It's up to the player to create a focus with the options available, in cooperation with existing trait lines and such. And it's up to the devs to prevent players from creating an overpowered meta build. Sorry but your comment doesn't raise any concerns in my mind.

you can create many options out of 1 or 2 central mechanics. let's say scourge for example: it has 2 central mechanics barrier and shades and shades provide many options: you've got barrier support boon corrupt and straight condi damage. but they're all aoe skills that have to be positioned by the scourge.

this can be done for most elite specs.

deadeye has malice.

daredevil has his modified dodges.

you'll also note that not everything about those specs is directly tied their unique mechanic.

if you'll allow me to sound a bit pretentious. your suggestion lacks a mechanical identity.

also a weird nitpick but ruffian doesn't really sound like a skill type. probably because ruffian can't be used too describe an action or spell

@ iKeostuKen.2738

Aw yeah Thieves Guild [&BhozAAA=] and Ambush [&BgAzAAA=] would each totally have to summon shipmates! Complete with "Avast Ye!" and "Shiver Me Timbers!" voices. Even if everything else was the same and just the appearance, names, and sounds of the summons were patched special for Buccaneer.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"Warkind.6745" said:

> > It would be cool to have a utility that creates a water field to combo with the healing leap.

>

> a support pirate spec? i'm interested.

>

> better has some oranges for that scurvy

To be honest I just thinks it's cool when holosmiths leap through their healing turret fields and want it.

> @"Warkind.6745" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"Warkind.6745" said:

> > > It would be cool to have a utility that creates a water field to combo with the healing leap.

> >

> > a support pirate spec? i'm interested.

> >

> > better has some oranges for that scurvy

>

> To be honest I just thinks it's cool when holosmiths leap through their healing turret fields and want it.

then why not just play holosmith?

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > @"Warkind.6745" said:

> > > > It would be cool to have a utility that creates a water field to combo with the healing leap.

> > >

> > > a support pirate spec? i'm interested.

> > >

> > > better has some oranges for that scurvy

> >

> > To be honest I just thinks it's cool when holosmiths leap through their healing turret fields and want it.

>

> then why not just play holosmith?

Because I like more aspects of thief than holosmith. One synergy between skills, cool as it is, isn't really enough to make me rethink my main.

> @"Warkind.6745" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > @"Warkind.6745" said:

> > > > > It would be cool to have a utility that creates a water field to combo with the healing leap.

> > > >

> > > > a support pirate spec? i'm interested.

> > > >

> > > > better has some oranges for that scurvy

> > >

> > > To be honest I just thinks it's cool when holosmiths leap through their healing turret fields and want it.

> >

> > then why not just play holosmith?

>

> Because I like more aspects of thief than holosmith. One synergy between skills, cool as it is, isn't really enough to make me rethink my main.

fair enough tho giving thief a waterfield might be a bit OP when combo'd with shortbow.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > @"Warkind.6745" said:

> > > > > > It would be cool to have a utility that creates a water field to combo with the healing leap.

> > > > >

> > > > > a support pirate spec? i'm interested.

> > > > >

> > > > > better has some oranges for that scurvy

> > > >

> > > > To be honest I just thinks it's cool when holosmiths leap through their healing turret fields and want it.

> > >

> > > then why not just play holosmith?

> >

> > Because I like more aspects of thief than holosmith. One synergy between skills, cool as it is, isn't really enough to make me rethink my main.

>

> fair enough tho giving thief a waterfield might be a bit OP when combo'd with shortbow.

Meh, i dont think so, sb 2 has a fairly visible and interruptable cast time, while the animation is so slow your allies would be dead 3 times over before the projectile's landing if you don't use it under yourself. While detonating cluster bomb makes the projectiles a bit faster the blast effect itself doesn't apply.

> @"NuhDah.9812" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > > @"Warkind.6745" said:

> > > > > > > It would be cool to have a utility that creates a water field to combo with the healing leap.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > a support pirate spec? i'm interested.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > better has some oranges for that scurvy

> > > > >

> > > > > To be honest I just thinks it's cool when holosmiths leap through their healing turret fields and want it.

> > > >

> > > > then why not just play holosmith?

> > >

> > > Because I like more aspects of thief than holosmith. One synergy between skills, cool as it is, isn't really enough to make me rethink my main.

> >

> > fair enough tho giving thief a waterfield might be a bit OP when combo'd with shortbow.

>

> Meh, i dont think so, sb 2 has a fairly visible and interruptable cast time, while the animation is so slow your allies would be dead 3 times over before the projectile's landing if you don't use it under yourself. While detonating cluster bomb makes the projectiles a bit faster the blast effect itself doesn't apply.

was talking in raids and fractals

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"NuhDah.9812" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > @"Warkind.6745" said:

> > > > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Warkind.6745" said:

> > > > > > > > It would be cool to have a utility that creates a water field to combo with the healing leap.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > a support pirate spec? i'm interested.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > better has some oranges for that scurvy

> > > > > >

> > > > > > To be honest I just thinks it's cool when holosmiths leap through their healing turret fields and want it.

> > > > >

> > > > > then why not just play holosmith?

> > > >

> > > > Because I like more aspects of thief than holosmith. One synergy between skills, cool as it is, isn't really enough to make me rethink my main.

> > >

> > > fair enough tho giving thief a waterfield might be a bit OP when combo'd with shortbow.

> >

> > Meh, i dont think so, sb 2 has a fairly visible and interruptable cast time, while the animation is so slow your allies would be dead 3 times over before the projectile's landing if you don't use it under yourself. While detonating cluster bomb makes the projectiles a bit faster the blast effect itself doesn't apply.

>

> was talking in raids and fractals

I still think it would be a bit slow and unreliable compared to engi or ele blasts. Vaulting would be another story though. Fortunately you dont get 2 e-specs on the same build.

> @"NuhDah.9812" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"NuhDah.9812" said:

> > > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > > @"Warkind.6745" said:

> > > > > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Warkind.6745" said:

> > > > > > > > > It would be cool to have a utility that creates a water field to combo with the healing leap.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > a support pirate spec? i'm interested.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > better has some oranges for that scurvy

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > To be honest I just thinks it's cool when holosmiths leap through their healing turret fields and want it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > then why not just play holosmith?

> > > > >

> > > > > Because I like more aspects of thief than holosmith. One synergy between skills, cool as it is, isn't really enough to make me rethink my main.

> > > >

> > > > fair enough tho giving thief a waterfield might be a bit OP when combo'd with shortbow.

> > >

> > > Meh, i dont think so, sb 2 has a fairly visible and interruptable cast time, while the animation is so slow your allies would be dead 3 times over before the projectile's landing if you don't use it under yourself. While detonating cluster bomb makes the projectiles a bit faster the blast effect itself doesn't apply.

> >

> > was talking in raids and fractals

>

> I still think it would be a bit slow and unreliable compared to engi or ele blasts. Vaulting would be another story though. Fortunately you dont get 2 e-specs on the same build.

but engi/ele can't pull of 3 blasts with 1 field as easily as shortbow and i'm thinking of group healing, not personal healing

@ iKeostuKen.2738

@ Warkind.6745

A water field could be cool. We just can't call it Tidal Wave [&BucVAAA=] because elementalist took that name with their trident #5. I know it's a bit disappointing my original post is a pirate with no water, but at least I tried to give him a flask! ;)

@ NuhDah.9812

Agree with your comments.

@ derd.6413

Let's look at the existing water fields. First of all, thief has one of the few long-duration water fields already - that's the stolen skill Healing Seed [&BlpAAAA=] which used to be 10 seconds before being nerfed to 5 seconds (Ranger kept their 10-second Healing Spring [&BskwAAA=] nevertheless). As far as I know, there is no access to this skill in PvE currently (except "PvE" in WvW/PvP).

Anyway, then there's elementalist Geyser [&BjEWAAA=] (4 seconds) and Healing Rain [&Bq8VAAA=] (6 seconds). I'll stop there. Including an animation time and aftercast, I would look at a 3- or 4-second buccaneer water, which would allow 2 or 3 blasts, respectively, unless quickness is used. Mind you, we're talking PvE in a team environment - either way, you're still be able to spam blasts on water fields summoned by other classes, and given the buccaneer having to cast themself (and burn a slot for it?), it would still be a tad more effective to use theirs! With an appropriate cooldown time, that could be balanced and fair.

Seems like an interesting idea. Definitely need some water fields in there as it is a pirate theme. Makes much more sense than lightning fields.

I'd like to see the day that thieves get something to make them viable in wvw, since that is my main focus. They are hated there unless you are an expert at thief.

I would be interested to know what other players think about this build who play mainly as thieves.