Gems for a Good Cause

> @"killermanjaro.5670" said:

> > @"Nash.3974" said:

> > > @"lokh.2695" said:

> > > > @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> > >

> > > > I won't go into what makes a disaster and what doesn't, but it's just a thought.

> > >

> > > Which is why companies usually are very picky with these actions.

> > > Should we donate to starving children or the victims of a natural desaster? Are refugees of war more deserving of our goodwill/consolation cash or are victims of domestic violence? Should we save the rain forest or the oceans? Is a disaster in the US more or less deserving than a desaster in Australia? Should we support a children's education program or a program that helps drug addicts and their families? And why not both/everything?

> > >

> > > Also, If you set it to "maybe three times a year" you are expecting at least three desasters worthy of our pity cash. What if we had our three rallies already and something even worse happens? What if it's the beginning of december but we rallied only once so far? And of course, why stop at three, why not four, five or more?

> > >

> > > Charity is businesmodel in itself and most companies don't mix well with it. Not saying it's a bad idea but there are reasons why things like this don't happen very often.

> >

> > Wait so because you can’t choose whom to help you choose to not help at all? It doesn’t matter who you decide to help there is no ‘they deserve more help than the other‘. You choose the one that’s somehow closer to your heart, but just to choose not to help so nobody feels left out is super dumb.

> > Thinking like this doesn’t justify not helping.

> > Nobody is gonna complain that you are helping the starving children in Africa and not the rain forest or anything.

>

> I think the issue (or at least in my case), is having a limited income allows little spare each month for purchases and donations, so what little I can donate I'd rather have a choice of which charities I donate it to. It's not a case of choosing not to help, its a case of if I had to pay more for gems as the extra is donated to a random charity, then I'd rather just buy gems at the normal rate and put the extra it would have cost towards a charity/cause which I prioritise more. Also I then could choose the charity which I think will distribute the donations to the cause in the most effective way.

Exactly. Quite a few of us can think of the best place to utilize our funds. It may not be (insert big name generic charity here) but a smaller charity that would efficiently use them in a targeted way we personally know about. I can guarantee anything generic would go into a general fund for the big name though.