Firebrand Sword and Board

Fatguts.9206

> @"TheAgedGnome.7520" said:

> > @"Fatguts.9206" said:

> > > @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > > > @"Flintbrow.7985" said:

> > > > Ok, drop Firebrand because it's really only a support spec. Embrace core guard meta build and get Valk armor and zerk and/or Cav trinkets. Done.

> > >

> > > Well, if he really wants to use a shield, which he does, I'd advocate Dragonhunter with marauder. Shield punting through a Test of Faith is easy and effective.. For vanilla guard you really want a focus or torch.

> > >

> > > But yeah, not FB

> >

> > This sounds like an awesome variant, but as you pointed out this is to be a Sw/B FB. i already have another toon, zerk DH which is loads of fun, but this is to be totally different.

>

> Could Axe/B FB be an acceptable alternative to Sw/B? I'm finding Axe is quite good on my FB for up-close and personal melee.

As much as i like the Axe as a alternative the mobility of the Sword is fantastic, and any dps variance that i have noticed is not worth the sacrifice. However, i have been wondering about my choice of secondary weapon(the Hammer) and have not been utilising this to its fullest, barely at all in fact. so there may be benefit in simply having the axe and shield as the secondary choice. i may have to give this a go. thx for the input. :D

> @"Fatguts.9206" said:

> > @"TheAgedGnome.7520" said:

> > Could Axe/B FB be an acceptable alternative to Sw/B? I'm finding Axe is quite good on my FB for up-close and personal melee.

>

> As much as i like the Axe as a alternative the mobility of the Sword is fantastic, and any dps variance that i have noticed is not worth the sacrifice. However, i have been wondering about my choice of secondary weapon(the Hammer) and have not been utilising this to its fullest, barely at all in fact. so there may be benefit in simply having the axe and shield as the secondary choice. i may have to give this a go. thx for the input. :D

I have been playing around with different weapon choices on my FB (for OW). The current state of this evolution is that I mainly use axe + torch, and have mace + shield/focus or staff as secondary. Axe + torch with condi dmg gears is just too good combo to be ignored on FB, no matter how I tried. I have used also axe + shield as secondary set (that is, swapping between off-hand torch and shield), but in the end I found that if I need to go defensive (play time to get something off cooldown), mace + shield/focus or staff makes better combo than axe.

As I played DH previously, I have tried to fit sword in the build, just because - as you say - the mobility is great. So far I haven't been able to mix that in, and I admit that the lack of mobility is one of the drawbacks in my FB variants.

Bit off-topic:

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> It's sounds ideal but I would avoid the idea of group defensive capabilities on open world PVE content. Most people around you don't play and make builds that rely on others to carry them so that aspect of your build becomes a weak point, especially if you are solo.

This is true, of course, but I still tend to prefer hybrid support classes - mainly druid and blood sage scourge variants - for OW content. For me, it just feels better, if I can keep people up in the fight, than try to squeeze the fight times to their bare minimums. There is luckily vast amounts of people taking responsibility for that, so there's some room there for me playing less optimal backup builds if not everything goes as planned.

> @"Fatguts.9206" said:

> Your ideas are very interesting along with the choices you have made. i suspect that you get your main dmg from great-sword and use of symbols (and retaliation). i have been creating more of a condi build relying on passive defence from toughness and aegis as the active (and the dodge roll, i mean who wants to stand there a take a massive blow from a boss LOL) and main dps from tomes, and burn the kitten out of them. I do like the idea of a retaliation setup and may just give that a try. thx :)

I use my sword and shield probably 75% of the time, I enjoy the sword mobility a lot more than the great-sword leap. Most of my damage comes from Sword Wave, Symbol of Blades, some Tome of Justice tomes & Echo of Truth (though it's more for group the blind). For longer battles, I definitely use my great-sword too however, and I have a scepter for those battles that absolutely require some ranged attacks (e.g. Bounties with phase-shift come to mind).

I do worry about your build a little. You say you want to focus on condition damage, but you have actually invested more in power/direct-damage than condition/over-time, at least that is the impression I got looking at your link-build. For instance; have you thought about swapping your Soldier jewellery for Dire?

But at the end of it all, if you feel it works for you and you're happy with it, that is absolutely all that matters.

> @"Reverielle.3972" said:

> > Your ideas are very interesting along with the choices you have made. i suspect that you get your main dmg from great-sword and use of symbols (and retaliation). i have been creating more of a condi build relying on passive defence from toughness and aegis as the active (and the dodge roll, i mean who wants to stand there a take a massive blow from a boss LOL) and main dps from tomes, and burn the kitten out of them. I do like the idea of a retaliation setup and may just give that a try. thx :)

> I use my sword and shield probably 75% of the time, I enjoy the sword mobility a lot more than the great-sword leap. Most of my damage comes from Sword Wave, Symbol of Blades, some Tome of Justice tomes & Echo of Truth (though it's more for group the blind). For longer battles, I definitely use my great-sword too however, and I have a scepter for those battles that absolutely require some ranged attacks (e.g. Bounties with phase-shift come to mind).

>

> I do worry about your build a little. You say you want to focus on condition damage, but you have actually invested more in power/direct-damage than condition/over-time, at least that is the impression I got looking at your link-build. For instance; have you thought about swapping your Soldier jewellery for Dire?

>

> But at the end of it all, if you feel it works for you and you're happy with it, that is absolutely all that matters.

yeah the power stats are a pain for me but i think it was growing up with all these mobs "immune" to fire and the power was a left over, so i aim to keep power at 2000 and max out the condi, if i simply replace all the exotic gear with ascended then the condi will get up to about 1500, which i think is pretty good, (leaving the power at 2000ish) i don't think ill get rid of it completely however i am open to some ideas, it just feels like you need to have some power if you play open world. and also it gives me an opportunity to smack a veteran or elite to the ground with my hammer as a finisher, and that always feels good. like you said "But at the end of it all, if you feel it works for you and you're happy with it, that is absolutely all that matters"

i must say to finish, i am always looking to switch things around as a gamer, so i really appreciate all the input. (although this toon stays S/B F/B LOL)

> @"TamX.1870" said:

> > > @"TheAgedGnome.7520" said:

> > > Could Axe/B FB be an acceptable alternative to Sw/B? I'm finding Axe is quite good on my FB for up-close and personal melee.

> >

> > As much as i like the Axe as a alternative the mobility of the Sword is fantastic, and any dps variance that i have noticed is not worth the sacrifice. However, i have been wondering about my choice of secondary weapon(the Hammer) and have not been utilising this to its fullest, barely at all in fact. so there may be benefit in simply having the axe and shield as the secondary choice. i may have to give this a go. thx for the input. :D

>

> I have been playing around with different weapon choices on my FB (for OW). The current state of this evolution is that I mainly use axe + torch, and have mace + shield/focus or staff as secondary. Axe + torch with condi dmg gears is just too good combo to be ignored on FB, no matter how I tried. I have used also axe + shield as secondary set (that is, swapping between off-hand torch and shield), but in the end I found that if I need to go defensive (play time to get something off cooldown), mace + shield/focus or staff makes better combo than axe.

>

i totally forgot about maces, regen and aegis if i recall are the predominant benefits ill have to take a look at that again. using that to wait for a tome to come of CD could be useful, although i would loose that mobility. the number of combos is insane, and i do have enjoyable moments with all of them, but that mobility is hard to give up and the small group heal, pushing back mobs to gain some composure when you're swamped and projectile absorption (all in one button) is also hard to give up.

> As I played DH previously, I have tried to fit sword in the build, just because - as you say - the mobility is great. So far I haven't been able to mix that in, and I admit that the lack of mobility is one of the drawbacks in my FB variants.

>

once upon a time the only weps a DH would wield were the Great-sword and Longbow, mastering the two of those in concert was a challenge. today i still practice this although i believe that it may not be the most popular, it does com in handy in those fights where you are just tanking a champion on your own or just don't want to be near the boss :)

> Bit off-topic:

>

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > It's sounds ideal but I would avoid the idea of group defensive capabilities on open world PVE content. Most people around you don't play and make builds that rely on others to carry them so that aspect of your build becomes a weak point, especially if you are solo.

>

> This is true, of course, but I still tend to prefer hybrid support classes - mainly druid and blood sage scourge variants - for OW content. For me, it just feels better, if I can keep people up in the fight, than try to squeeze the fight times to their bare minimums. There is luckily vast amounts of people taking responsibility for that, so there's some room there for me playing less optimal backup builds if not everything goes as planned.

>

in concert with you on this last point, i do find that if i can make a difference in a long drawn out battle with some nice buffs/heals/aegis then that's the role i will gladly take on. if im in it for the kill it asap ill play something with a bit more oomph.