Kam.4092

> @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> > > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> > > > > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > > @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> > > > > > > I don't want to sound mean, but this spec seems to take away the very thing that makes the class unique and gives it the same mechanic as another class. It also borrows other bits and pieces from Ranger, Guardian and Thief to create something that doesn't seem to have a specific theme of its own. It feels like a spec for someone who can't decide which of those other classes they want to play. Even the name doesn't make sense. Hellspawner or Houndmaster perhaps.. but Sentinel? How does owning a hellhound make you a watcher/guardian of the dead?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Perhaps you can rework this into something that other classes aren't doing? Like being able to resurrect creatures you kill to fight for you? Or turning death shroud into "ghost form" where you lose direct damage but gain various fright powers? Or maybe when you enter death shroud your soul comes out of your body and can possess another creature? Or maybe even controlling the darkness itself to blanket areas in pitch black, blinding enemies and choking them with tendrils of darkness. These are just some things off the top of my head that might be interesting.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The idea of a pet is like having an undead servant. It’s a dark spell caster trope. I chose Sentinel as the name, because I wanted to always use a Hellhound from GW1 in GW2. When a lot think of a hound, they think of a guard dog. Dogs are also known to watch graves of their past owners. They are very loyal and protective.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The core theme would be something like a patroller in a grave, watching spirits, guiding them, and keeping intruders out. A dog is also used for hunting a lot. A dog’s senses paired with the Necromancer’s perception of spirits and death sounded like a cool duo combo to me.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A lot of Elites now mix other Professions already. I don’t see how taking ideas from other Professions for Elites is a bad thing. I’d also like for Necro to have a new long range Power weapon.

> > > > >

> > > > > This is all my opinion of course... the problem I have with this is that it feels like you started with a high concept ("use a GW1 hellhound") and you've cobbled together this spec by borrowing bits and pieces from other professions/classes to make something which is a less interesting clone of the ranger pet mechanic. This isn't like other elites mixing things. You're not mixing death shroud with ranger pet, which might be interesting if done right. And you're not replacing death shroud with something new, like Soul Beast did with their mechanic. You're just throwing away the class mechanic to replace it completely with the mechanic of another existing class. (You even say "The necromancer *rids itself* of death shroud" as if the concept of the shroud were disgusting to you.)

> > > > > Anyway, that's just my opinion. Maybe anet will like your idea.

> > > >

> > > > Hell Shroud is the Shroud mechanic. It’s just like the Desert Shroud. Scourge already gave up Shroud. It would be the same type of trading Shroud for something else.

> > > >

> > > > As a core mechanic I personally find Shroud sort of dealt with. I don’t see how you can top Reaper’s Shroud, so why not incorporate new themes and ideas? All Professions by default share similarities as well already. They did in GW1 also.

> > > >

> > > > The ranger pet system is actually very boring, and not much goes into it. With my ideas, it would make the Hellhound feel more like a companion, instead of just a buff, and stat bot like most Ranger pets. With Sentinel, you’d have a more active play style verses the one with Ranger pets. Ranger pets are limited to just having one skill when out. This really makes them feel lifeless. With the Hellhound, you’d have 5 usable skills. All the skills involve the Hellhound, and still use the Life Force mechanic. It would honestly be a more advanced form of a Ranger pet.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > You're right about the ranger pet being boring and your idea for multiple pet skills is a good one, but it's a concept for the ranger class. It's the ranger's mechanic. You even call it a more advanced form of ranger pet. It would be like giving warrior more advanced illusions than mesmer, or giving revenant more advanced toolkits than engineer.

> > > Just my 2c.

> >

> > In a lot of games, it’s not just Rangers, or Hunters with pets. Anything can have a pet, there’s no ancient rule for only Rangers having one. In WoW for example Hunters, Warlocks, Mages, and Death Knights have pets you keep out, and other classes can summon a temporary pet.

> >

> > Any Profession can borrow ideas, and themes from one another. You already see it with stuff like Chronomancer gaining Wells. Necromancer’s were known for Wells in the past, then Mesmers got them. Necromancer’s can even take advantage of the Chronomancer Rune for their Wells as well. GW2 already shares concepts, and mechanics with the Professions, so Necromancer getting a pet would fit with the Elite Specialization design already in the game, that’s about Professions getting shared mechanics.

>

> It's not really relevant what other games do, wells were never necro's core mechanic and the problem (for me) isn't the borrowing of ideas. It's that you're not creating something new or distinctive. You're giving one class a better version of another class's core mechanic. I can see necro getting a spec where they command a squad of undead humanoids (similar to that heart in Vabbi), but a spec where the necro commands a single animal just feels too much like ranger. That's all I'm trying to say. I'm not saying it can't happen or that Anet can't make it work. It just doesn't win me (personally) over.

>

> As another example, imagine a ranger spec where the ranger "rids itself" of the pet and has a shroud that happens to be more advanced than reaper. Would that make sense to you?

>

That’s basically what Soulbeast did. It has some flashy vine animation on the character, and they gain the pet abilities. Also Druid has Celestial Avatar, which in a way is a more advanced Shroud, because of Glyphs being usable when in the Celestial avatar form. With your above suggestion, a Necromancer using Glyphs that function differently in Shroud would be exactly like Druid. You pretty much did the exact same thing you’re saying I did.

Celestial avatar is a form that doesn’t last long, you fill the bar up from healing, then get new special abilities. That’s super similar to a Necro, and Death Shroud. Your Glyph idea would be a copy off of Druid, and Glyphs then. You can go on endlessly with what a class takes from another. Also Glyphs were an Elementalist theme before Druid. There’s really no rules, or limits with Guild Wars 2. Professions have weapons that have similar animations and functions even. You’re problems with my idea are a core design aspect of what’s already in Guild Wars 2.

> @"Kam.4092" said:

> > @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> > > > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> > > > > > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> > > > > > > > I don't want to sound mean, but this spec seems to take away the very thing that makes the class unique and gives it the same mechanic as another class. It also borrows other bits and pieces from Ranger, Guardian and Thief to create something that doesn't seem to have a specific theme of its own. It feels like a spec for someone who can't decide which of those other classes they want to play. Even the name doesn't make sense. Hellspawner or Houndmaster perhaps.. but Sentinel? How does owning a hellhound make you a watcher/guardian of the dead?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Perhaps you can rework this into something that other classes aren't doing? Like being able to resurrect creatures you kill to fight for you? Or turning death shroud into "ghost form" where you lose direct damage but gain various fright powers? Or maybe when you enter death shroud your soul comes out of your body and can possess another creature? Or maybe even controlling the darkness itself to blanket areas in pitch black, blinding enemies and choking them with tendrils of darkness. These are just some things off the top of my head that might be interesting.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The idea of a pet is like having an undead servant. It’s a dark spell caster trope. I chose Sentinel as the name, because I wanted to always use a Hellhound from GW1 in GW2. When a lot think of a hound, they think of a guard dog. Dogs are also known to watch graves of their past owners. They are very loyal and protective.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The core theme would be something like a patroller in a grave, watching spirits, guiding them, and keeping intruders out. A dog is also used for hunting a lot. A dog’s senses paired with the Necromancer’s perception of spirits and death sounded like a cool duo combo to me.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > A lot of Elites now mix other Professions already. I don’t see how taking ideas from other Professions for Elites is a bad thing. I’d also like for Necro to have a new long range Power weapon.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > This is all my opinion of course... the problem I have with this is that it feels like you started with a high concept ("use a GW1 hellhound") and you've cobbled together this spec by borrowing bits and pieces from other professions/classes to make something which is a less interesting clone of the ranger pet mechanic. This isn't like other elites mixing things. You're not mixing death shroud with ranger pet, which might be interesting if done right. And you're not replacing death shroud with something new, like Soul Beast did with their mechanic. You're just throwing away the class mechanic to replace it completely with the mechanic of another existing class. (You even say "The necromancer *rids itself* of death shroud" as if the concept of the shroud were disgusting to you.)

> > > > > > Anyway, that's just my opinion. Maybe anet will like your idea.

> > > > >

> > > > > Hell Shroud is the Shroud mechanic. It’s just like the Desert Shroud. Scourge already gave up Shroud. It would be the same type of trading Shroud for something else.

> > > > >

> > > > > As a core mechanic I personally find Shroud sort of dealt with. I don’t see how you can top Reaper’s Shroud, so why not incorporate new themes and ideas? All Professions by default share similarities as well already. They did in GW1 also.

> > > > >

> > > > > The ranger pet system is actually very boring, and not much goes into it. With my ideas, it would make the Hellhound feel more like a companion, instead of just a buff, and stat bot like most Ranger pets. With Sentinel, you’d have a more active play style verses the one with Ranger pets. Ranger pets are limited to just having one skill when out. This really makes them feel lifeless. With the Hellhound, you’d have 5 usable skills. All the skills involve the Hellhound, and still use the Life Force mechanic. It would honestly be a more advanced form of a Ranger pet.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > You're right about the ranger pet being boring and your idea for multiple pet skills is a good one, but it's a concept for the ranger class. It's the ranger's mechanic. You even call it a more advanced form of ranger pet. It would be like giving warrior more advanced illusions than mesmer, or giving revenant more advanced toolkits than engineer.

> > > > Just my 2c.

> > >

> > > In a lot of games, it’s not just Rangers, or Hunters with pets. Anything can have a pet, there’s no ancient rule for only Rangers having one. In WoW for example Hunters, Warlocks, Mages, and Death Knights have pets you keep out, and other classes can summon a temporary pet.

> > >

> > > Any Profession can borrow ideas, and themes from one another. You already see it with stuff like Chronomancer gaining Wells. Necromancer’s were known for Wells in the past, then Mesmers got them. Necromancer’s can even take advantage of the Chronomancer Rune for their Wells as well. GW2 already shares concepts, and mechanics with the Professions, so Necromancer getting a pet would fit with the Elite Specialization design already in the game, that’s about Professions getting shared mechanics.

> >

> > It's not really relevant what other games do, wells were never necro's core mechanic and the problem (for me) isn't the borrowing of ideas. It's that you're not creating something new or distinctive. You're giving one class a better version of another class's core mechanic. I can see necro getting a spec where they command a squad of undead humanoids (similar to that heart in Vabbi), but a spec where the necro commands a single animal just feels too much like ranger. That's all I'm trying to say. I'm not saying it can't happen or that Anet can't make it work. It just doesn't win me (personally) over.

> >

> > As another example, imagine a ranger spec where the ranger "rids itself" of the pet and has a shroud that happens to be more advanced than reaper. Would that make sense to you?

> >

>

> That’s basically what Soulbeast did. It has some flashy vine animation on the character, and they gain the pet abilities. Also Druid has Celestial Avatar, which in a way is a more advanced Shroud, because of Glyphs being usable when in the Celestial avatar form. With your above suggestion, a Necromancer using Glyphs that function differently in Shroud would be exactly like Druid. You pretty much did the exact same thing you’re saying I did.

>

> Celestial avatar is a form that doesn’t last long, you fill the bar up from healing, then get new special abilities. That’s super similar to a Necro, and Death Shroud. Your Glyph idea would be a copy off of Druid, and Glyphs then. You can go on endlessly with what a class takes from another. Also Glyphs were an Elementalist theme before Druid. There’s really no rules, or limits with Guild Wars 2. Professions have weapons that have similar animations and functions even. You’re problems with my idea are a core design aspect of what’s already in Guild Wars 2.

I suppose that's true.

> > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> > > > > > > > > I don't want to sound mean, but this spec seems to take away the very thing that makes the class unique and gives it the same mechanic as another class. It also borrows other bits and pieces from Ranger, Guardian and Thief to create something that doesn't seem to have a specific theme of its own. It feels like a spec for someone who can't decide which of those other classes they want to play. Even the name doesn't make sense. Hellspawner or Houndmaster perhaps.. but Sentinel? How does owning a hellhound make you a watcher/guardian of the dead?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Perhaps you can rework this into something that other classes aren't doing? Like being able to resurrect creatures you kill to fight for you? Or turning death shroud into "ghost form" where you lose direct damage but gain various fright powers? Or maybe when you enter death shroud your soul comes out of your body and can possess another creature? Or maybe even controlling the darkness itself to blanket areas in pitch black, blinding enemies and choking them with tendrils of darkness. These are just some things off the top of my head that might be interesting.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The idea of a pet is like having an undead servant. It’s a dark spell caster trope. I chose Sentinel as the name, because I wanted to always use a Hellhound from GW1 in GW2. When a lot think of a hound, they think of a guard dog. Dogs are also known to watch graves of their past owners. They are very loyal and protective.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The core theme would be something like a patroller in a grave, watching spirits, guiding them, and keeping intruders out. A dog is also used for hunting a lot. A dog’s senses paired with the Necromancer’s perception of spirits and death sounded like a cool duo combo to me.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > A lot of Elites now mix other Professions already. I don’t see how taking ideas from other Professions for Elites is a bad thing. I’d also like for Necro to have a new long range Power weapon.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > This is all my opinion of course... the problem I have with this is that it feels like you started with a high concept ("use a GW1 hellhound") and you've cobbled together this spec by borrowing bits and pieces from other professions/classes to make something which is a less interesting clone of the ranger pet mechanic. This isn't like other elites mixing things. You're not mixing death shroud with ranger pet, which might be interesting if done right. And you're not replacing death shroud with something new, like Soul Beast did with their mechanic. You're just throwing away the class mechanic to replace it completely with the mechanic of another existing class. (You even say "The necromancer *rids itself* of death shroud" as if the concept of the shroud were disgusting to you.)

> > > > > > > Anyway, that's just my opinion. Maybe anet will like your idea.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Hell Shroud is the Shroud mechanic. It’s just like the Desert Shroud. Scourge already gave up Shroud. It would be the same type of trading Shroud for something else.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > As a core mechanic I personally find Shroud sort of dealt with. I don’t see how you can top Reaper’s Shroud, so why not incorporate new themes and ideas? All Professions by default share similarities as well already. They did in GW1 also.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The ranger pet system is actually very boring, and not much goes into it. With my ideas, it would make the Hellhound feel more like a companion, instead of just a buff, and stat bot like most Ranger pets. With Sentinel, you’d have a more active play style verses the one with Ranger pets. Ranger pets are limited to just having one skill when out. This really makes them feel lifeless. With the Hellhound, you’d have 5 usable skills. All the skills involve the Hellhound, and still use the Life Force mechanic. It would honestly be a more advanced form of a Ranger pet.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > You're right about the ranger pet being boring and your idea for multiple pet skills is a good one, but it's a concept for the ranger class. It's the ranger's mechanic. You even call it a more advanced form of ranger pet. It would be like giving warrior more advanced illusions than mesmer, or giving revenant more advanced toolkits than engineer.

> > > > > Just my 2c.

> > > >

> > > > In a lot of games, it’s not just Rangers, or Hunters with pets. Anything can have a pet, there’s no ancient rule for only Rangers having one. In WoW for example Hunters, Warlocks, Mages, and Death Knights have pets you keep out, and other classes can summon a temporary pet.

> > > >

> > > > Any Profession can borrow ideas, and themes from one another. You already see it with stuff like Chronomancer gaining Wells. Necromancer’s were known for Wells in the past, then Mesmers got them. Necromancer’s can even take advantage of the Chronomancer Rune for their Wells as well. GW2 already shares concepts, and mechanics with the Professions, so Necromancer getting a pet would fit with the Elite Specialization design already in the game, that’s about Professions getting shared mechanics.

> > >

> > > It's not really relevant what other games do, wells were never necro's core mechanic and the problem (for me) isn't the borrowing of ideas. It's that you're not creating something new or distinctive. You're giving one class a better version of another class's core mechanic. I can see necro getting a spec where they command a squad of undead humanoids (similar to that heart in Vabbi), but a spec where the necro commands a single animal just feels too much like ranger. That's all I'm trying to say. I'm not saying it can't happen or that Anet can't make it work. It just doesn't win me (personally) over.

> > >

> > > As another example, imagine a ranger spec where the ranger "rids itself" of the pet and has a shroud that happens to be more advanced than reaper. Would that make sense to you?

> > >

> >

> > That’s basically what Soulbeast did. It has some flashy vine animation on the character, and they gain the pet abilities. Also Druid has Celestial Avatar, which in a way is a more advanced Shroud, because of Glyphs being usable when in the Celestial avatar form. With your above suggestion, a Necromancer using Glyphs that function differently in Shroud would be exactly like Druid. You pretty much did the exact same thing you’re saying I did.

> >

> > Celestial avatar is a form that doesn’t last long, you fill the bar up from healing, then get new special abilities. That’s super similar to a Necro, and Death Shroud. Your Glyph idea would be a copy off of Druid, and Glyphs then. You can go on endlessly with what a class takes from another. Also Glyphs were an Elementalist theme before Druid. There’s really no rules, or limits with Guild Wars 2. Professions have weapons that have similar animations and functions even. You’re problems with my idea are a core design aspect of what’s already in Guild Wars 2.

>

> I suppose that's true.

I don’t even think we’ll have new Elites anytime soon anyway. It’s fun to make concepts. :D

> @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > I don't want to sound mean, but this spec seems to take away the very thing that makes the class unique and gives it the same mechanic as another class. It also borrows other bits and pieces from Ranger, Guardian and Thief to create something that doesn't seem to have a specific theme of its own. It feels like a spec for someone who can't decide which of those other classes they want to play. Even the name doesn't make sense. Hellspawner or Houndmaster perhaps.. but Sentinel? How does owning a hellhound make you a watcher/guardian of the dead?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Perhaps you can rework this into something that other classes aren't doing? Like being able to resurrect creatures you kill to fight for you? Or turning death shroud into "ghost form" where you lose direct damage but gain various fright powers? Or maybe when you enter death shroud your soul comes out of your body and can possess another creature? Or maybe even controlling the darkness itself to blanket areas in pitch black, blinding enemies and choking them with tendrils of darkness. These are just some things off the top of my head that might be interesting.

> > > > >

> > > > > The idea of a pet is like having an undead servant. It’s a dark spell caster trope. I chose Sentinel as the name, because I wanted to always use a Hellhound from GW1 in GW2. When a lot think of a hound, they think of a guard dog. Dogs are also known to watch graves of their past owners. They are very loyal and protective.

> > > > >

> > > > > The core theme would be something like a patroller in a grave, watching spirits, guiding them, and keeping intruders out. A dog is also used for hunting a lot. A dog’s senses paired with the Necromancer’s perception of spirits and death sounded like a cool duo combo to me.

> > > > >

> > > > > A lot of Elites now mix other Professions already. I don’t see how taking ideas from other Professions for Elites is a bad thing. I’d also like for Necro to have a new long range Power weapon.

> > > >

> > > > This is all my opinion of course... the problem I have with this is that it feels like you started with a high concept ("use a GW1 hellhound") and you've cobbled together this spec by borrowing bits and pieces from other professions/classes to make something which is a less interesting clone of the ranger pet mechanic. This isn't like other elites mixing things. You're not mixing death shroud with ranger pet, which might be interesting if done right. And you're not replacing death shroud with something new, like Soul Beast did with their mechanic. You're just throwing away the class mechanic to replace it completely with the mechanic of another existing class. (You even say "The necromancer *rids itself* of death shroud" as if the concept of the shroud were disgusting to you.)

> > > > Anyway, that's just my opinion. Maybe anet will like your idea.

> > >

> > > Hell Shroud is the Shroud mechanic. It’s just like the Desert Shroud. Scourge already gave up Shroud. It would be the same type of trading Shroud for something else.

> > >

> > > As a core mechanic I personally find Shroud sort of dealt with. I don’t see how you can top Reaper’s Shroud, so why not incorporate new themes and ideas? All Professions by default share similarities as well already. They did in GW1 also.

> > >

> > > The ranger pet system is actually very boring, and not much goes into it. With my ideas, it would make the Hellhound feel more like a companion, instead of just a buff, and stat bot like most Ranger pets. With Sentinel, you’d have a more active play style verses the one with Ranger pets. Ranger pets are limited to just having one skill when out. This really makes them feel lifeless. With the Hellhound, you’d have 5 usable skills. All the skills involve the Hellhound, and still use the Life Force mechanic. It would honestly be a more advanced form of a Ranger pet.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > You're right about the ranger pet being boring and your idea for multiple pet skills is a good one, but it's a concept for the ranger class. It's the ranger's mechanic. You even call it a more advanced form of ranger pet. It would be like giving warrior more advanced illusions than mesmer, or giving revenant more advanced toolkits than engineer.

> > Just my 2c.

>

> In a lot of games, it’s not just Rangers, or Hunters with pets. Anything can have a pet, there’s no ancient rule for only Rangers having one. In WoW for example Hunters, Warlocks, Mages, and Death Knights have pets you keep out, and other classes can summon a temporary pet.

>

> Any Profession can borrow ideas, and themes from one another. You already see it with stuff like Chronomancer gaining Wells. Necromancer’s were known for Wells in the past, then Mesmers got them. Necromancer’s can even take advantage of the Chronomancer Rune for their Wells as well. GW2 already shares concepts, and mechanics with the Professions, so Necromancer getting a pet would fit with the Elite Specialization design already in the game, that’s about Professions getting shared mechanics.

Wells is not mechanical its a skill type. If chrono was given death shroud but stronger how fun would it be to be necro. Also this wouldnt work instead reusing mech create new ones to class e specs.

> @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> > > > > > > > > > I don't want to sound mean, but this spec seems to take away the very thing that makes the class unique and gives it the same mechanic as another class. It also borrows other bits and pieces from Ranger, Guardian and Thief to create something that doesn't seem to have a specific theme of its own. It feels like a spec for someone who can't decide which of those other classes they want to play. Even the name doesn't make sense. Hellspawner or Houndmaster perhaps.. but Sentinel? How does owning a hellhound make you a watcher/guardian of the dead?

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Perhaps you can rework this into something that other classes aren't doing? Like being able to resurrect creatures you kill to fight for you? Or turning death shroud into "ghost form" where you lose direct damage but gain various fright powers? Or maybe when you enter death shroud your soul comes out of your body and can possess another creature? Or maybe even controlling the darkness itself to blanket areas in pitch black, blinding enemies and choking them with tendrils of darkness. These are just some things off the top of my head that might be interesting.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > The idea of a pet is like having an undead servant. It’s a dark spell caster trope. I chose Sentinel as the name, because I wanted to always use a Hellhound from GW1 in GW2. When a lot think of a hound, they think of a guard dog. Dogs are also known to watch graves of their past owners. They are very loyal and protective.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > The core theme would be something like a patroller in a grave, watching spirits, guiding them, and keeping intruders out. A dog is also used for hunting a lot. A dog’s senses paired with the Necromancer’s perception of spirits and death sounded like a cool duo combo to me.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > A lot of Elites now mix other Professions already. I don’t see how taking ideas from other Professions for Elites is a bad thing. I’d also like for Necro to have a new long range Power weapon.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > This is all my opinion of course... the problem I have with this is that it feels like you started with a high concept ("use a GW1 hellhound") and you've cobbled together this spec by borrowing bits and pieces from other professions/classes to make something which is a less interesting clone of the ranger pet mechanic. This isn't like other elites mixing things. You're not mixing death shroud with ranger pet, which might be interesting if done right. And you're not replacing death shroud with something new, like Soul Beast did with their mechanic. You're just throwing away the class mechanic to replace it completely with the mechanic of another existing class. (You even say "The necromancer *rids itself* of death shroud" as if the concept of the shroud were disgusting to you.)

> > > > > > > > Anyway, that's just my opinion. Maybe anet will like your idea.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Hell Shroud is the Shroud mechanic. It’s just like the Desert Shroud. Scourge already gave up Shroud. It would be the same type of trading Shroud for something else.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > As a core mechanic I personally find Shroud sort of dealt with. I don’t see how you can top Reaper’s Shroud, so why not incorporate new themes and ideas? All Professions by default share similarities as well already. They did in GW1 also.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The ranger pet system is actually very boring, and not much goes into it. With my ideas, it would make the Hellhound feel more like a companion, instead of just a buff, and stat bot like most Ranger pets. With Sentinel, you’d have a more active play style verses the one with Ranger pets. Ranger pets are limited to just having one skill when out. This really makes them feel lifeless. With the Hellhound, you’d have 5 usable skills. All the skills involve the Hellhound, and still use the Life Force mechanic. It would honestly be a more advanced form of a Ranger pet.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You're right about the ranger pet being boring and your idea for multiple pet skills is a good one, but it's a concept for the ranger class. It's the ranger's mechanic. You even call it a more advanced form of ranger pet. It would be like giving warrior more advanced illusions than mesmer, or giving revenant more advanced toolkits than engineer.

> > > > > > Just my 2c.

> > > > >

> > > > > In a lot of games, it’s not just Rangers, or Hunters with pets. Anything can have a pet, there’s no ancient rule for only Rangers having one. In WoW for example Hunters, Warlocks, Mages, and Death Knights have pets you keep out, and other classes can summon a temporary pet.

> > > > >

> > > > > Any Profession can borrow ideas, and themes from one another. You already see it with stuff like Chronomancer gaining Wells. Necromancer’s were known for Wells in the past, then Mesmers got them. Necromancer’s can even take advantage of the Chronomancer Rune for their Wells as well. GW2 already shares concepts, and mechanics with the Professions, so Necromancer getting a pet would fit with the Elite Specialization design already in the game, that’s about Professions getting shared mechanics.

> > > >

> > > > It's not really relevant what other games do, wells were never necro's core mechanic and the problem (for me) isn't the borrowing of ideas. It's that you're not creating something new or distinctive. You're giving one class a better version of another class's core mechanic. I can see necro getting a spec where they command a squad of undead humanoids (similar to that heart in Vabbi), but a spec where the necro commands a single animal just feels too much like ranger. That's all I'm trying to say. I'm not saying it can't happen or that Anet can't make it work. It just doesn't win me (personally) over.

> > > >

> > > > As another example, imagine a ranger spec where the ranger "rids itself" of the pet and has a shroud that happens to be more advanced than reaper. Would that make sense to you?

> > > >

> > >

> > > That’s basically what Soulbeast did. It has some flashy vine animation on the character, and they gain the pet abilities. Also Druid has Celestial Avatar, which in a way is a more advanced Shroud, because of Glyphs being usable when in the Celestial avatar form. With your above suggestion, a Necromancer using Glyphs that function differently in Shroud would be exactly like Druid. You pretty much did the exact same thing you’re saying I did.

> > >

> > > Celestial avatar is a form that doesn’t last long, you fill the bar up from healing, then get new special abilities. That’s super similar to a Necro, and Death Shroud. Your Glyph idea would be a copy off of Druid, and Glyphs then. You can go on endlessly with what a class takes from another. Also Glyphs were an Elementalist theme before Druid. There’s really no rules, or limits with Guild Wars 2. Professions have weapons that have similar animations and functions even. You’re problems with my idea are a core design aspect of what’s already in Guild Wars 2.

> >

> > I suppose that's true.

>

> I don’t even think we’ll have new Elites anytime soon anyway. It’s fun to make concepts. :D

Yes, creativity is good. I know I've been a little picky but don't let stuff like that stop you from suggesting new specs.

> > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Kam.4092" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > I don't want to sound mean, but this spec seems to take away the very thing that makes the class unique and gives it the same mechanic as another class. It also borrows other bits and pieces from Ranger, Guardian and Thief to create something that doesn't seem to have a specific theme of its own. It feels like a spec for someone who can't decide which of those other classes they want to play. Even the name doesn't make sense. Hellspawner or Houndmaster perhaps.. but Sentinel? How does owning a hellhound make you a watcher/guardian of the dead?

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > Perhaps you can rework this into something that other classes aren't doing? Like being able to resurrect creatures you kill to fight for you? Or turning death shroud into "ghost form" where you lose direct damage but gain various fright powers? Or maybe when you enter death shroud your soul comes out of your body and can possess another creature? Or maybe even controlling the darkness itself to blanket areas in pitch black, blinding enemies and choking them with tendrils of darkness. These are just some things off the top of my head that might be interesting.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > The idea of a pet is like having an undead servant. It’s a dark spell caster trope. I chose Sentinel as the name, because I wanted to always use a Hellhound from GW1 in GW2. When a lot think of a hound, they think of a guard dog. Dogs are also known to watch graves of their past owners. They are very loyal and protective.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > The core theme would be something like a patroller in a grave, watching spirits, guiding them, and keeping intruders out. A dog is also used for hunting a lot. A dog’s senses paired with the Necromancer’s perception of spirits and death sounded like a cool duo combo to me.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > A lot of Elites now mix other Professions already. I don’t see how taking ideas from other Professions for Elites is a bad thing. I’d also like for Necro to have a new long range Power weapon.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > This is all my opinion of course... the problem I have with this is that it feels like you started with a high concept ("use a GW1 hellhound") and you've cobbled together this spec by borrowing bits and pieces from other professions/classes to make something which is a less interesting clone of the ranger pet mechanic. This isn't like other elites mixing things. You're not mixing death shroud with ranger pet, which might be interesting if done right. And you're not replacing death shroud with something new, like Soul Beast did with their mechanic. You're just throwing away the class mechanic to replace it completely with the mechanic of another existing class. (You even say "The necromancer *rids itself* of death shroud" as if the concept of the shroud were disgusting to you.)

> > > > > > > > > Anyway, that's just my opinion. Maybe anet will like your idea.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Hell Shroud is the Shroud mechanic. It’s just like the Desert Shroud. Scourge already gave up Shroud. It would be the same type of trading Shroud for something else.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > As a core mechanic I personally find Shroud sort of dealt with. I don’t see how you can top Reaper’s Shroud, so why not incorporate new themes and ideas? All Professions by default share similarities as well already. They did in GW1 also.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The ranger pet system is actually very boring, and not much goes into it. With my ideas, it would make the Hellhound feel more like a companion, instead of just a buff, and stat bot like most Ranger pets. With Sentinel, you’d have a more active play style verses the one with Ranger pets. Ranger pets are limited to just having one skill when out. This really makes them feel lifeless. With the Hellhound, you’d have 5 usable skills. All the skills involve the Hellhound, and still use the Life Force mechanic. It would honestly be a more advanced form of a Ranger pet.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You're right about the ranger pet being boring and your idea for multiple pet skills is a good one, but it's a concept for the ranger class. It's the ranger's mechanic. You even call it a more advanced form of ranger pet. It would be like giving warrior more advanced illusions than mesmer, or giving revenant more advanced toolkits than engineer.

> > > > > > > Just my 2c.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > In a lot of games, it’s not just Rangers, or Hunters with pets. Anything can have a pet, there’s no ancient rule for only Rangers having one. In WoW for example Hunters, Warlocks, Mages, and Death Knights have pets you keep out, and other classes can summon a temporary pet.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Any Profession can borrow ideas, and themes from one another. You already see it with stuff like Chronomancer gaining Wells. Necromancer’s were known for Wells in the past, then Mesmers got them. Necromancer’s can even take advantage of the Chronomancer Rune for their Wells as well. GW2 already shares concepts, and mechanics with the Professions, so Necromancer getting a pet would fit with the Elite Specialization design already in the game, that’s about Professions getting shared mechanics.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's not really relevant what other games do, wells were never necro's core mechanic and the problem (for me) isn't the borrowing of ideas. It's that you're not creating something new or distinctive. You're giving one class a better version of another class's core mechanic. I can see necro getting a spec where they command a squad of undead humanoids (similar to that heart in Vabbi), but a spec where the necro commands a single animal just feels too much like ranger. That's all I'm trying to say. I'm not saying it can't happen or that Anet can't make it work. It just doesn't win me (personally) over.

> > > > >

> > > > > As another example, imagine a ranger spec where the ranger "rids itself" of the pet and has a shroud that happens to be more advanced than reaper. Would that make sense to you?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > That’s basically what Soulbeast did. It has some flashy vine animation on the character, and they gain the pet abilities. Also Druid has Celestial Avatar, which in a way is a more advanced Shroud, because of Glyphs being usable when in the Celestial avatar form. With your above suggestion, a Necromancer using Glyphs that function differently in Shroud would be exactly like Druid. You pretty much did the exact same thing you’re saying I did.

> > > >

> > > > Celestial avatar is a form that doesn’t last long, you fill the bar up from healing, then get new special abilities. That’s super similar to a Necro, and Death Shroud. Your Glyph idea would be a copy off of Druid, and Glyphs then. You can go on endlessly with what a class takes from another. Also Glyphs were an Elementalist theme before Druid. There’s really no rules, or limits with Guild Wars 2. Professions have weapons that have similar animations and functions even. You’re problems with my idea are a core design aspect of what’s already in Guild Wars 2.

> > >

> > > I suppose that's true.

> >

> > I don’t even think we’ll have new Elites anytime soon anyway. It’s fun to make concepts. :D

>

> Yes, creativity is good. I know I've been a little picky but don't let stuff like that stop you from suggesting new specs.

I’ve done several on the forum. One was called Scavenger, and the Shroud form was a shadowy crow that had high mobility and damage, my biggest issue with GW2 atm is lack of new weapons.