New Computer - GW2 doesn't think I am an admin

Just copy your installer to your desktop and try running it from there. GW2 used to download the GW2.exe directly and you had to copy it to the folder where you want GW2 to be installed. This changed. Nowadays you download an installer that asks you where you want GW2 to be installed. Usually you'd run the installer from your desktop or your downloads folder and delete it after its job is done.

1. Open the folder where your installer is.

2. Grab the installer (hold your left mouse button).

3. Drag it to a free space on your desktop.

4. Drop it there (release your left mouse button).

5. Try running it from there.

6. Delete the installer once you're done. (right-click the installer and select delete)

I figured this out. So, the new windows feature decides just because you are an admin doesn't mean you run software as an admin.

1. Don't select "Run" when you download the installer. The new windows assumes you, as an admin, don't want to run a download as an admin. Select "Save As" and save it to where ever you like.

2. Don't run the installer. Instead, right click on it. A drop down menu will include the option "Run as Administrator." Click on that.

This should solve the problem until the next Windows patch when Microsoft decides this feature is too useful to users and makes it even harder.

The feature of not running the software you tell it to run as an admin is new to me. I had never needed to specifically select "Run as administrator" before. The last 3 times I did this windows ran GW2 installer as an admin because, you know, I was an admin and commanded the computer to do it. I have been using excel since 2000 and they decide to move or hide commands they had in one place for years, so I would not be surprised, at all, if they decide to hide this, too.