Latency/Ping/FPS Issues [merged]

Again same here, the last time I quit playing this game for 3 years was over ping issues, if the problem is back, which it seems to be as no other game I own is having an issue I will be gone for good, and like I've said on reddit spending 100 bucks a month on a game is nothing for me, just want to make the devs aware of the losing money issue.

edit: oh and as for the actual issue ping is about 100ms higher than normal and spiking every few seconds into the 600-2k range making the game unplayable, literal players teleporting etc. And if you want me to provide a list of games that are running fine ping wise i will give examples of wow, bdo b&s, bf3 bf4 bf1, fortnight, pubg, eso, ffiv all running fine with 0 spikes. So please don't give me the bs response of its on your end.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To follow up on my case, GW2 Support got back to me after the Christmas holiday period and confirmed it was alright to try out a VPN. I gave one a try, and lo and behold, I survived daily packet loss hour that has become my new usual since Path of Fire (1000-4000ms ping spikes and disconnections at 7.30pm GMT+8, 11.30am UTC) with perfectly normal (and slightly lower) ping with zero disconnections or skill lag. Sadly, it looks like I will have to divert gem purchase money over to paying for a monthly VPN subscription instead.

I'd also like to leave this feedback for the decision-makers at ArenaNet that can affect this issue by choosing new datacenter locations:

Since the launch of the game, I've been using the same ISP and been staying in the same geographical region with no problems with your old servers. Ever since Path of Fire and after the full migration over to the AWS servers, ping spikes and packet loss problems have been occurring constantly, to many more players than me. You can see this in the periodic Reddit threads where SEA/OCX and EU players point out the worsening ping spike issues.

I tested out WTFast as a VPN. The results confirm that it is indeed a network/server routing issue, as I had zero problems during my usual ping spike hour (lots of packet loss via regular internet - https://imgur.com/a/5ywuN) and during a severe ping spike (https://imgur.com/a/cqfkO) where half of my raid group from Australia experienced lag and I experienced none, thanks to the VPN.

And while I am pleased that the VPN helped me avoid every single ping spike that would usually plague my gameplay time, I am saddened by the fact that it looks like I will have to be paying the VPN company a monthly subscription merely to play GW2 at an enjoyably consistent ping. This is monthly revenue that I am no longer able to give ArenaNet via gem purchases.

I hope it's possible to some day reconsider the choice of where you locate your datacenters, so as to relieve more of the ping spikes for the players in our part of the world. Not every player is as dedicated to your game as to consider paying a monthly sub for a VPN, and that is also potential lost revenue if they decide to stop playing, due to ping issues.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

Geographical location: USA, Washington State

Anet screwing the pooch on this. The game is not only unplayable for long periods of time, but it boofs my entire machine until I force quit the app. Been going on for awhile. Keep your gems, I'll keep my cash.

Also, eff all you people telling me the problem is on my side. GW2 is the only thing with new problems.

> @"Jeromai.8203" said:

> To follow up on my case, GW2 Support got back to me after the Christmas holiday period and confirmed it was alright to try out a VPN. I gave one a try, and lo and behold, I survived daily packet loss hour that has become my new usual since Path of Fire (1000-4000ms ping spikes and disconnections at 7.30pm GMT+8, 11.30am UTC) with perfectly normal (and slightly lower) ping with zero disconnections or skill lag. Sadly, it looks like I will have to divert gem purchase money over to paying for a monthly VPN subscription instead.

>

> I'd also like to leave this feedback for the decision-makers at ArenaNet that can affect this issue by choosing new datacenter locations:

>

> Since the launch of the game, I've been using the same ISP and been staying in the same geographical region with no problems with your old servers. Ever since Path of Fire and after the full migration over to the AWS servers, ping spikes and packet loss problems have been occurring constantly, to many more players than me. You can see this in the periodic Reddit threads where SEA/OCX and EU players point out the worsening ping spike issues.

>

> I tested out WTFast as a VPN. The results confirm that it is indeed a network/server routing issue, as I had zero problems during my usual ping spike hour (lots of packet loss via regular internet - https://imgur.com/a/5ywuN) and during a severe ping spike (https://imgur.com/a/cqfkO) where half of my raid group from Australia experienced lag and I experienced none, thanks to the VPN.

>

> And while I am pleased that the VPN helped me avoid every single ping spike that would usually plague my gameplay time, I am saddened by the fact that it looks like I will have to be paying the VPN company a monthly subscription merely to play GW2 at an enjoyably consistent ping. This is monthly revenue that I am no longer able to give ArenaNet via gem purchases.

>

> I hope it's possible to some day reconsider the choice of where you locate your datacenters, so as to relieve more of the ping spikes for the players in our part of the world. Not every player is as dedicated to your game as to consider paying a monthly sub for a VPN, and that is also potential lost revenue if they decide to stop playing, due to ping issues.

>

> Thank you for your time in reading this.

I feel for u as i had to do the same to lower my overall ping to what it was b4 anet moved to these crap servers (EU). Im currently paying a subscription to battleping for stable connection with GW2 servers and suffice to say if this goes on im done with the game. I hope Anet, for their game's sake, will either fix whatever is happening or simply move back to their previous datacenters.

To be perfectly honest i just want a response on the matter. Im an oce player i once had 215 ping now 270 average, spiking dureing NA prime time to about 4k ping when fights and or large groups start fighting. I am extremely frustrated as it was never a problem before and now it is impacting on my guild and my WvW experience. long time player returning and this is making me want to throw the game out again.

> @"Tranto.6084" said:

> To be perfectly honest i just want a response on the matter. Im an oce player i once had 215 ping now 270 average, spiking dureing NA prime time to about 4k ping when fights and or large groups start fighting. I am extremely frustrated as it was never a problem before and now it is impacting on my guild and my WvW experience. long time player returning and this is making me want to throw the game out again.

I think a few people want some answers....I too had 190 ping now averaging 280 on a "good" day. Also impacts my wvw experience and my contribution to guild wvw raids. But all I have had from support so far is use a vpn...I tried WTFast awhile ago and it madeno difference or in fact increased my ping. Anyone who plays from NZ here who can recommend a VPN that might reduce this shitty latency introduced by Anet moving their servers??

All screenshots taken in WvW.

**Before**: Build 63845(found from old screenshot, dont remember what was happening with FPS)![](https://i.imgur.com/EKreMir.jpg "")

**As of sometime after October 2017 - Present**

1. On a good day, like it should be, seems to be a rare occurance now:![](https://i.imgur.com/ghKAgyk.jpg "")

2. Seems to be the norm morning, noon, night:![](https://i.imgur.com/qIEkCc3.jpg "")

3. A couple times a day:![](https://i.imgur.com/X2YCN4f.jpg "") Don't have the build number on this clip but this happens as of recently with the latest.

Edit: In the past month, TunnelBear VPN had the same results.

I tried WTFast VPN.

**First Try**: https://i.imgur.com/kyDbmtS.png

**Second Try after restarting my router**: https://i.imgur.com/OAObDoL.png

^^^ Look at that spike: went from under 100 to over 500.

Add another one with bad ping on EU, from Sweden to be more precise. It starts somewhere in the black hole that is amazons network and generally around the evening. Ping goes from being stable at around 40-50 to going up to over 700 for several hours until late in the evening (Midnight to 1AM). I suspect some streaming service causes an overload somewhere in amazons network and when people stop watching stuff in the late evening and go to bed the ping gets back to normal.

Mine's the worst it has ever been since two days ago. Completely unplayable. Constantly Jumps from 350, to 600, to 1,800 to 5,000 and everything in between. Before this though, it was stable at around 250 give or take. What's happening :/

Edit:

I believe i'm on 35.x.x.x server most of the time.

ArenaNet already (unofficially) address this issue months ago. Basically they said that the move benefitted a large portion of their players . Unfortunately, those negatively affected will just have to put up with the latency issues, use a VPN, or just quit GW2.

I'm giving this game a change until end of this month, if my latency is never returned to normal then I have no choice but to quit. I don't blame ArenaNet tho, they have to do what they think is best for their company. I just don't want to support ArenaNet since I'm a casualty of their business decision.

To be honest, I don't think they can do anything about this even if they wanted to if contracts have already been signed. Must've been a good deal for them to switch to these crappy servers. Not enough people are complaining anyways.

Not even a direct response in this thread though. Come on Anet, you can do better than that.

Just Thought I would add my input to this discussion.

I recently gave Guildwars 2 another shot. I have loved this game and its great!

After buying Path of fire and re-familiarizing myself with gameplay, I went back into pvp and had a blast!

Sadly, The game is uplayable in its current state for me. I cannot play a game without constant packet loss. This packet loss is what drove me to leave during HOT. I have run several tracing softwares and determined its due to what server the game puts me on with megaservers. For example, I can go for hours without anything wrong, yet when i load into certian servers, it then routes my ping through different paths. These paths result in massive packet loss., and characters skip across my screen and I cannot play.

If you wish your game to grow please address this issue. Its my final straw. I'm done.

Some of you may see this as me venting. But I just don't want anyone else to go through my frustration with this, let alone the money sunk into this expac i don't even want anymore.

> @"xyle.5410" said:

> My wife has been getting the problem: suddenly dropping down into single digit FPS for a minute or two, occasionally more before returning to normal shortly after the PoF release.

>

> She has an MSI laptop with an intel i7 6700HQ and Nvidia 1060. She's also using a Killer wifi card, but we're going to replace that with an intel one this week.

>

> I have not had a single issue. I'm using a desktop with an intel 4790k and an AMD 480. I'm using an ASUS wifi card.

>

> The primary differences between our 2 systems are the video card and wifi card. Since we can change out her wifi card, I'll report back if that fixes it.

So we swapped wifi cards and that did not fix it. Sunday I copied xyle's .dat file to my gw2 folder. (Even though we had run a verify and a repair on my .dat file and it appeared to be exactly the same as xyle's.) Unfortunately, I didn't play much again until last night after the patch. My weird lag spikes appear to be gone now, though. Either the patch, or the copied .dat file.

I have the same issue like **jdmThor.3806**.

I'm experiencing high ping spikes during morning (goes from ~100 to 350-1000), but at the evening my ping goes back to normal. I don't know what's going on, really.

A week ago, before the patch, I didn't have any lag spikes or high ping.

It's really weird that i have normal ping at some servers but lag at others after change map or instance, have no idea why this is happening, could anyone help me?

this is the normal ping i have here UTC+8 at server 54.156.166.171

[imgur.com/1xyXRVH](http://imgur.com/1xyXRVH "imgur.com/1xyXRVH")

and this lag at server 34.232.3.145

[imgur.com/UgZlv32](http://imgur.com/UgZlv32 "imgur.com/UgZlv32")

both pic has WinMTR for that server

Currently playing between 500 - 4.5K ping from my old 250 - 300 ping range. Its not funny anymore. It's getting to the point that the game is unplayable. Even interacting with an NPC vendor takes 5 seconds before the purchase/sell screen/tab opens.

I'm from the Philippines and this started just this week.

**Location**: Sweden

**Server**: EU, Gandara

**Issue**: Insane FPS loss, down to 4-7 FPS for no reason even on lowest settings on low populated maps. Most common at PoF maps.

**When it started**: A few days after PoF launch. It's worse in PoF maps and when it happens it's unplayable, I've noticed that Amnoon is one of the worse places especially during night. I can't stay at the new maps for long before the FPS loss starts. And lately it feels like it's happening in the rest of the game aswell. Lions Arch and pvp lobby has become worse than it was before.

Is Anet looking into this? Is there a solution to this issue?

Other games are still running fine like they've always done. Only GW2 is acting like this.

Just wanted to add my two cents to this conversation. I'm located in Nevada, USA and am a returning player for PoF. Previously I have had no issues playing GW2 and always a pleasurable experience, with minimal latency/lag or graphics issues. Since coming back for PoF the latency/lag has become increasingly frustrating, going from maybe one spike in latency a day to multiple ping spikes to upwards of 3000 ping per day.

This has made newer content, like PoF story missions, absolutely unplayable, as that critical moment when I need to use my evade skills or healing skills is just flat out ruined by that ping spike that decided to hit right that moment (and don't even get me started on the buggy mission itself). Sometimes I can only sit and watch as my character dies because the game decided to have a ping spike and thinks I'm still in a field of poisonous flowers I left ages ago.

I returned over a month ago, and now that this is getting to be a daily frustration, it's getting to where it's not worth it anymore to keep playing and I may be going elsewhere. I want to enjoy my time playing, not be watching my character die because my skills just keep flashing at me. :C

As a final sidenote: This happens at all graphics settings, I have no issues with any other online games of any kind (including other mmos), and I have updated all graphics drivers as well as checked my Nvidia 3D settings to keep it from bottlenecking itself. My connection is otherwise stable, so ping spikes in GW2 are not, to my belief, a result of my own network.