How evil are GW2’s necromancers?

lordbachus.6091

> @"lordbachus.6091" said:

> > @"Dace.8173" said:

> > Necromancer doesn't need to be evil. Evil Necromancers are just a trope. Magic related to death and unlife is not an inherently evil concept. As a roleplayer, I loathe tropes that demand something must be good or must be evil. It removes agency away from the user.

>

> Medling with dead and decay to gain personal powers in general makes people atleast frown uppon you..

>

> Necromancy is a selfish thing. And while the actions of a necromencer will not allways be evil.. general opinion, the general population will view the datk nature of necromancy as being evil..

>

Creepy maybe but not evil.

We are hanging around with dead things all the time. Sort of like a magical mortician. The world needs them, they just don't want to be seen in public with Uncle Fester.

The classes source of strength in this game feels as though there's no lore to them. I mean, there's not even class specific story quests, you start the game as your class and poof your powerful. Most stories start off with a hero gaining/learning a power, yet here your power is already established and there's nothing to explain it. Like, how did my guardian who was born in the streets become one?

> @"Farkon.2170" said:

> The classes source of strength in this game feels as though there's no lore to them. I mean, there's not even class specific story quests, you start the game as your class and poof your powerful. Most stories start off with a hero gaining/learning a power, yet here your power is already established and there's nothing to explain it. Like, how did my guardian who was born in the streets become one?

The lack of an in-game mission set that explores the profession doesn't mean they lack lore. We have lore on all of them. Sure I would have loved to have had those types of missions but honestly, it's not that big of a deal. There are plenty of games where your character's powers really aren't explained. It's all different kinds of ways of telling a story. Such missions tend to create a very generalized backstory. When I play SWTOR, my character's journey as a Jedi is exactly the same as everyone else so everyone in the gameplay the same Sith I am playing has the same explanation of how they went from being on the streets to becoming an Imperial Agent. That isn't a bad thing but it also doesn't mean that it was a good thing.

This game opted to focus on the meta-narrative, the story about the quest itself and not the details about your job. There are merits to that approach as it gets the character straight into the main stories action.