Those Staff Autos, Though...

Einlanzer.1627

The lightning auto could use some serious love. If it becomes single-target then it's not really much different than the current earth auto-attack, unless the damage is significantly higher.

If it's kept as multi-target then it would be nice if it could hit all the targets simultaneously, or at least faster than the current, slow moving lightning bolt.

> @juno.1840 said:

> The lightning auto could use some serious love. If it becomes single-target then it's not really much different than the current earth auto-attack, unless the damage is significantly higher.

>

> If it's kept as multi-target then it would be nice if it could hit all the targets simultaneously, or at least faster than the current, slow moving lightning bolt.

How about ... Shooting a Lightning Bolt, instantly damaging the targets? Better than a projectile thingy moving at a snail's pace. Probably easier to balance too if there's no travel time, only cast time.

> @tnhalbertsma.7682 said:

> > @juno.1840 said:

> > The lightning auto could use some serious love. If it becomes single-target then it's not really much different than the current earth auto-attack, unless the damage is significantly higher.

> >

> > If it's kept as multi-target then it would be nice if it could hit all the targets simultaneously, or at least faster than the current, slow moving lightning bolt.

>

> How about ... Shooting a Lightning Bolt, instantly damaging the targets? Better than a projectile thingy moving at a snail's pace. Probably easier to balance too if there's no travel time, only cast time.

Let's make it even more unique! You call down a lightning bolt, instead of shooting one. It does a reasonable amount of damage, maybe 0.8, and does even more damage if the target is near other foes, say an additional 0.4. The other foes take minor damage, 0.3 to a maximum of 2 targets.

Chain Lightning is reborn! Mu-hahahahaha! *Cough*

> @Feanor.2358 said:

> Because the idea of Staff is to stack your damage with Lava Font and Meteor Shower. And because a weapon where the auto is your best damage skill would be extremely boring and failed design.

Sure. Instead, your entire DPS is balanced around large hitbox targets. Congrats, your design is soooo much better, especially when it involves using 2x conjures that you hope nobody else grabs to fill the gaps of weak autos, on top of your two major DPS skills being stationary skills.

> @Zenith.7301 said:

> > @Feanor.2358 said:

> > Because the idea of Staff is to stack your damage with Lava Font and Meteor Shower. And because a weapon where the auto is your best damage skill would be extremely boring and failed design.

>

> Sure. Instead, your entire DPS is balanced around large hitbox targets. Congrats, your design is soooo much better, especially when it involves using 2x conjures that you hope nobody else grabs to fill the gaps of weak autos, on top of your two major DPS skills being stationary skills.

Staff is balanced to fight multiple opponents, not single targets. Large-hitbox single targets just happen to fall into the same damage-soaking profile as a group, causing aberrant numbers. It isn't necessarily that Meteor Swarm is OP. It's just the multi-strike AOE that has the best cooldown, so it is used more and will have a higher percentage of the DPS.

Assuming I was so short-sighted to care only about meta-supported golem DPS when balancing powers, I'd look to the damage-per-use number, not the percent-of-DPS number to understand how it's really performing. If I use it five times as much as any other "storm" power, then I would expect roughly five times the DPS (more if the storm has secondary effects) when the golem falls. If it's in that ballpark, then cooldown may be an issue, or all "storms" may be an issue. Or it may not be an issue at all, because that's the purpose of the weapon.

Lava Font is similar, because it's a pure damage power with a short cooldown. Of course it'll have big DPS numbers, it composes a sizeable chunk of the attacks thrown.

> @Einlanzer.1627 said:

> The reason Eles have that stuff is because they have the lowest in game health and armor values, AND their complexity just makes it more difficult to make them perform well. That isn't a counter-argument against the point I'm making.

>

> Their top DPS comes comes almost exclusively from Fire. Swapping out of fire drops your DPS into suboptimal at best, which swiftly turns into terrible the longer you aren't in Fire. All buffing the other attunements' autos would do is make it less punishing to spend more in them as opposed to Fire. I have no idea why that isn't both painfully obvious and desirable for everyone who plays a staff ele.

>

> So, once again, both of your argument are poor.

The only way to boost the dps of the non-fire auto attacks is to take DPS from somewhere else in the ele's repertoire. Where do you think that would come from?

> @pdboddy.4162 said:

> > @Einlanzer.1627 said:

> > The reason Eles have that stuff is because they have the lowest in game health and armor values, AND their complexity just makes it more difficult to make them perform well. That isn't a counter-argument against the point I'm making.

> >

> > Their top DPS comes comes almost exclusively from Fire. Swapping out of fire drops your DPS into suboptimal at best, which swiftly turns into terrible the longer you aren't in Fire. All buffing the other attunements' autos would do is make it less punishing to spend more in them as opposed to Fire. I have no idea why that isn't both painfully obvious and desirable for everyone who plays a staff ele.

> >

> > So, once again, both of your argument are poor.

>

> The only way to boost the dps of the non-fire auto attacks is to take DPS from somewhere else in the ele's repertoire. Where do you think that would come from?

>

>

Lol, no it isn't.

> @tnhalbertsma.7682 said:

> > @juno.1840 said:

> > The lightning auto could use some serious love. If it becomes single-target then it's not really much different than the current earth auto-attack, unless the damage is significantly higher.

> >

> > If it's kept as multi-target then it would be nice if it could hit all the targets simultaneously, or at least faster than the current, slow moving lightning bolt.

>

> How about ... Shooting a Lightning Bolt, instantly damaging the targets? Better than a projectile thingy moving at a snail's pace. Probably easier to balance too if there's no travel time, only cast time.

Make something similar to scepter air auto?

For me the biggest problem still if earth auto lack of speed. Make it only 20% physical projectile, but increase the speed so it is able to hit a moving enemy...

> @pdboddy.4162 said:

> > @Einlanzer.1627 said:

> > The reason Eles have that stuff is because they have the lowest in game health and armor values, AND their complexity just makes it more difficult to make them perform well. That isn't a counter-argument against the point I'm making.

> >

> > Their top DPS comes comes almost exclusively from Fire. Swapping out of fire drops your DPS into suboptimal at best, which swiftly turns into terrible the longer you aren't in Fire. All buffing the other attunements' autos would do is make it less punishing to spend more in them as opposed to Fire. I have no idea why that isn't both painfully obvious and desirable for everyone who plays a staff ele.

> >

> > So, once again, both of your argument are poor.

>

> The only way to boost the dps of the non-fire auto attacks is to take DPS from somewhere else in the ele's repertoire. Where do you think that would come from?

>

>

You're not that good at math.