The End of GW2?

Yuyuske.7182

I agree with most thaf it is not wrapping up.

My forward thinking is we go journeying for the gods and see what the hell are they up to? Why they just left us. They have lot of mystery and things that are being held. The dragons are little boring and maybe that's why they chose kralk now to make it a flash of entertainment since he is one of the big daddy and thought of as the baddest one in the yard. And they have lot of places and holes they can fill from stories untold.

I hope people just stop hoping for a GW3 ... Like what would change? More races...? Not needed. More maps? Not needed we haven't finished Tyria. Better gameplay? I don't think it is that bad. Could be better but is good . Story telling? Doesn't need a new game for that. Especially if you sticking to the same franchise of Guild Wars. So my question is what would gw3 promote that they cannot already do now with gw2 . What would be their big push? From gw1-->2 it was TOO MANY classes, TOO MANY hexes, skills , conditions , etc. Maybe not even being able to jump was a thing. So that needed some fixing and i feel a good commitment to a new game.

> @"Harper.4173" said:

> I do agree partially but regarding combat mechanics I don't think that going in the direction of BDO is what would help.

> The issue is GW2 is the "casual MMO", which means more of its core audience is "bad" at video games. Because of a multitude of reasons - health, age, casualness. I don't think they could significantly move the game towards a more "dynamic combat" situation and still have a good outcome in terms of player retention.

> I think they would gain some new players, but given the hyper-casual nature of this game, I feel they would lose a lot more. A lot more people that are "bad" at the game and would not handle more dynamic combat. People that at the same time sink money on the game because "bad" doesn't mean "poor".

I am one of those "bad" players you are talking about. I am almost 50 years old and partly disabled. I make plenty of money and have an empty nest, so I can afford to spend on the game. I regard myself as a decently skilled player (I've been a gamer since before most here were born) but I am certainly not an e-sports meta edge rider. I think GW2 combat is already too dynamic and action oriented, and I regard many of the mechanics used to make combat "challenging" as just cheap design. We play a game which encourages glass cannon builds, but then turns around to arm the monsters with one-shot damage, unavoidable AOE, ridiculously long CC effects, and general sensory overload -- basically neutralizing every advantage our character has, so it all comes down to who has the fastest computer and twitchiest reflexes. I miss the more stand-up style of combat in older games, where your character matters more than crazy game mechanics. And I am FAR from alone in that regard.

Things ANet could do to make combat more player friendly...

1. Make the ground markers for incoming attacks more visible. Use thicker lines and brighten them up.

2. Reduce the visual clutter of "friendly" ground markers from other players. I don't need to see my teammate's attacks or things that don't affect me. The only friendly markers we see (besides our own) should be the ones we want to stand in, like an AOE heal. Make it simple: hostile red, get out. Friendly green, get in. That should be the only two kinds of ground markers in the game.

3. Lengthen the lead time on incoming attacks. At least half the time, by the time I see the attack coming, it's already too late; the marker JUST appeared and I'm already taking damage. Some attacks are practically instant, zero chance to avoid. Human reflexes and the internet both have time delays, and the game needs to allow more for that.

> @"Harper.4173" said:

> Other systems can be revamped or added - like trade skills for example.

Desperately needed. The layers of components for components for components are tedious. And the literal mountains of mats and three stages of precursors and such needed to make one legendary like Pharus are ridiculous. I'm making one bow, not arming the entire English army at Agincourt.

> @"Jimbru.6014" said:

> > @"Harper.4173" said:

> > I do agree partially but regarding combat mechanics I don't think that going in the direction of BDO is what would help.

> > The issue is GW2 is the "casual MMO", which means more of its core audience is "bad" at video games. Because of a multitude of reasons - health, age, casualness. I don't think they could significantly move the game towards a more "dynamic combat" situation and still have a good outcome in terms of player retention.

> > I think they would gain some new players, but given the hyper-casual nature of this game, I feel they would lose a lot more. A lot more people that are "bad" at the game and would not handle more dynamic combat. People that at the same time sink money on the game because "bad" doesn't mean "poor".

>

> I am one of those "bad" players you are talking about. I am almost 50 years old and partly disabled. I make plenty of money and have an empty nest, so I can afford to spend on the game. I regard myself as a decently skilled player (I've been a gamer since before most here were born) but I am certainly not an e-sports meta edge rider. I think GW2 combat is already too dynamic and action oriented, and I regard many of the mechanics used to make combat "challenging" as just cheap design. We play a game which encourages glass cannon builds, but then turns around to arm the monsters with one-shot damage, unavoidable AOE, ridiculously long CC effects, and general sensory overload -- basically neutralizing every advantage our character has, so it all comes down to who has the fastest computer and twitchiest reflexes. I miss the more stand-up style of combat in older games, where your character matters more than crazy game mechanics. And I am FAR from alone in that regard.

>

> Things ANet could do to make combat more player friendly...

>

> 1. Make the ground markers for incoming attacks more visible. Use thicker lines and brighten them up.

> 2. Reduce the visual clutter of "friendly" ground markers from other players. I don't need to see my teammate's attacks or things that don't affect me. The only friendly markers we see (besides our own) should be the ones we want to stand in, like an AOE heal. Make it simple: hostile red, get out. Friendly green, get in. That should be the only two kinds of ground markers in the game.

> 3. Lengthen the lead time on incoming attacks. At least half the time, by the time I see the attack coming, it's already too late; the marker JUST appeared and I'm already taking damage. Some attacks are practically instant, zero chance to avoid. Human reflexes and the internet both have time delays, and the game needs to allow more for that.

>

> > @"Harper.4173" said:

> > Other systems can be revamped or added - like trade skills for example.

>

> Desperately needed. The layers of components for components for components are tedious. And the literal mountains of mats and three stages of precursors and such needed to make one legendary like Pharus are ridiculous. I'm making one bow, not arming the entire English army at Agincourt.

>

>

I hope you didn't take offense, I meant none. It's just a broad definition.

"We play a game which encourages glass cannon builds, but then turns around to arm the monsters with one-shot damage, unavoidable AOE, ridiculously long CC effects, and general sensory overload -- basically neutralizing every advantage our character has, so it all comes down to who has the fastest computer and twitchiest reflexes. "

That's exactly how GW2 works and what GW2 set out to be. You can use more tanky gear and make the encounters MUCH easier ( except for raids) but then you'll take longer as a trade-off. Outside of raids I have not seen content that couldn't be facerolled with enough healing and tanking.

I agree with your feelings - and that's why I feel if they take the game further in that direction they will more and more alienate your segment of the player base. I think the game is in a good middle ground.

"Lengthen the lead time on incoming attacks. At least half the time, by the time I see the attack coming, it's already too late" I disagree with you on that - most of the attacks in this game are slow as far as I'm concerned - but then again I'm young and have sharp reflexes.

Regarding crafting - I 100% agree. The current system is a mess, I completely hate it, it's so clustered and unnecessary. The system should have been a decent one, not a boring thing I'd do anything to avoid.