Map Events (or, lack thereof)

> @"Harrik of Avalone.1867" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > BSF was one of many map examples i used though. Yes its smaller and denser, but i addressed that. Perhaps it serves as the weaker comparison and thats fair. My main point is that there is little wasted space. That is part of what makes a high quality map to me.

>

>

> I can understand this up to a point. But similar to how having intricate maps that force you to actually try and understand the map to navigate it (e.g. TD, Draconis Mons) is a quality I look for in Maps it should be understood that a) not everyone values the same in maps and b) not all maps should be made from the sam Formular. I personally find BSF too event crowded, especially since many of the events are copies of each other.

>

> > I dont agree Thunderhead has a lot of quality content compared to other more comparable maps though since this is the crux of why my feedback exists. Ive listed other maps as well to give a more rounded idea of why.

> >

>

> I get that you say that there is not enough content (as stated before I think this is more a question of density and you seem to agree, so lets leave this for now), but is your issue as well with the contents quality?

>

> > Yes a lot went into the last instance, im not going to dispute that, but an episode should always be more than a single instance. For me this episode could have been so much more judging by the standards set by at least three episodes in the season so far.

> >

>

> Not only into the last instance. The new visit to Glints lair, the branding of glint… Any one of them could have been an absolute highlight instance, say, in Season 3. This time we got all three in 1!

>

>

Without derailing into other topics, i can only cite the finale as a highlight. I think ive detailed in other threads my more detailed feedback on why a lot of the episode missed the mark for me personally.

> @"Clayton Kisko.5207" said:

> > @"Kraggy.4169" said:

> > > @"Clayton Kisko.5207" said:

> > >I think we could look at the broadcast radius of some of these and increase them slightly to give better visibility of them. It could be that players are missing them when they are kicked off. It is a huge map so I wouldn't be surprised.

> > Why make it a pain at all?

> >

> > Why not make zone events visible all over the zone, just what purpose do you think it serves not to?

>

> There is a limit of events we would want on screen at one time. I think after 4, the UI gets all wonky. This would be for players who have dailies up, and tracking achievements, ect.

Sometimes, on any map, I can get frustrated by not being able to find events, getting to events at a point in time past being able to succeed (? timers...), and (if using the content guide) getting to events just after they complete (or watching the content guide bounce around unpredictably).

Is there any ideas, beyond the content guide, and radius visibility changes, to make events more coherent in following them? Such as using more event chains or strategically scheduling them so that players, can move from one to another more seamlessly?

Right now scouts exist to point out hearts. But, when we first got mounts, I had the thought, wouldn't it be great if scouts mounted up and chased down events, with some sort of icon on the map, acting as players sometimes do with commander tags.

Not sure what is feasible, but I have always felt that map events are somewhat unpredictable and can be hard to find.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"PseudoNewb.5468" said:

> > @"Clayton Kisko.5207" said:

> > > @"Kraggy.4169" said:

> > > > @"Clayton Kisko.5207" said:

> > > >I think we could look at the broadcast radius of some of these and increase them slightly to give better visibility of them. It could be that players are missing them when they are kicked off. It is a huge map so I wouldn't be surprised.

> > > Why make it a pain at all?

> > >

> > > Why not make zone events visible all over the zone, just what purpose do you think it serves not to?

> >

> > There is a limit of events we would want on screen at one time. I think after 4, the UI gets all wonky. This would be for players who have dailies up, and tracking achievements, ect.

>

> Sometimes, on any map, I can get frustrated by not being able to find events, getting to events at a point in time past being able to succeed (? timers...), and (if using the content guide) getting to events just after they complete (or watching the content guide bounce around unpredictably).

> Is there any ideas, beyond the content guide, and radius visibility changes, to make events more coherent in following them? Such as using more event chains or strategically scheduling them so that players, can move from one to another more seamlessly?

> Right now scouts exist to point out hearts. But, when we first got mounts, I had the thought, wouldn't it be great if scouts mounted up and chased down events, with some sort of icon on the map, acting as players sometimes do with commander tags.

> Not sure what is feasible, but I have always felt that map events are somewhat unpredictable and can be hard to find.

I think what you described above are great ideas that are incorporated in maps currently, even in Thunderhead Peaks itself. I think learning the those cycles would be the important part and once that cycle is known it will feel more predictable. The other mechanic we have used in the past that could also help is the idea of an event crier. These NPCs call out to the player and let them know the status of events and where they are.