Third Elite Specialization "Minstrel" - Concept

Sodeni.6041

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Yoci.2481" said:

> A game that works and is fun doesn't need new content. When was the last time new content was added to football? New content is what you produce to get more money, not to make the game better.

There’s a draft every year and players going to different teams. That’s new content.

I really wish Chrono and Mirage were in their sights in being updated. Mirage is passable in pvp but the level of effort to play compared to others is probably the highest. And we don’t talk about Chrono because it’s Chrono.

> @"phokus.8934" said:

> > @"Yoci.2481" said:

> > A game that works and is fun doesn't need new content. When was the last time new content was added to football? New content is what you produce to get more money, not to make the game better.

> There’s a draft every year and players going to different teams. That’s new content.

>

> I really wish Chrono and Mirage were in their sights in being updated. Mirage is passable in pvp but the level of effort to play compared to others is probably the highest. And we don’t talk about Chrono because it’s Chrono.

>

>

Apparently there's a bigger balance patch with reworks coming. Hopefully a chrono re-re-rework will finally come and be better than the current chrono, same for mirage. One dodge in PvP/WvW is just a lazy balance decision and really bad, I hope they adress that.

• 5 weeks later...

> @"Svez Poizon XD.5268" said:

> I didn't read whole topic but man i would love to see shortbow mesmer, with music it would be even better.

Exactly! My mesmer is all purple-themed and my dreamer that's waiting for her would just look so great in combination.

Also, music-themed classes are a rare sight in MMORPGs and would give gw2 something special. I personally love music classes in the few MMORPGs that have them such as Allods, AION, Eden Eternal, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

> @"Kas.3509" said:

> Please be music bard themed and please be power or healing spec - healing preffered for me.

I WISH it was both! Because why not? Scourge is condi and heal so Minstrel could be specced into either power DPS or heal or hybrid! Mesmer lacks such elite specs and it would just be perfect in my opinion.

> @"Sodeni.6041" said:

> > @"Kas.3509" said:

> > Please be music bard themed and please be power or healing spec - healing preffered for me.

>

> I WISH it was both! Because why not? Scourge is condi and heal so Minstrel could be specced into either power DPS or heal or hybrid! Mesmer lacks such elite specs and it would just be perfect in my opinion.

Id love to but Im afraid it would suck at both then. If it could replace druid in raid squad OR be taken as powerdps OR be a little bit of both depending of build you choose Id love it. But Im afraid it would be not good enough at 1 of 2 or suck at both.

• 2 months later...

I would comeback to this game fulltime in a heartbeat if bards became a thing here. It's my favorite archetype in RPGs

I think it's quite easy to implement too. As suggested, give mesmers a weapon that they could use as a musical instrument (shorbow as a harp for example) and give em shouts.

Every skill that generates clones would generate a clone that doesn't attack but plays a musical instrument instead that offers a stacking buff of something, and the shatters can be flavored as an "encore" where the bard and his illusionary bandmates would do a flourish and F1: deal damage, F2: give conditions, F3: CC, F4: make the bard invulnerable, while each providing specific boons to allies.

> @"Quadox.7834" said:

> i would not like this concept personally. that said, i honestly don't know what could possibly top chronomancer - both the theme and the name itself are just so good.

Good for you that you have a class that you 100% love. As for me, I absolutely adore GW2's combat mechanics but I've never had a class that I love perfectly. I usually go with Bards in RPGs so having one here would be perfect.

> @"mikdepadua.8376" said:

> > @"Quadox.7834" said:

> > i would not like this concept personally. that said, i honestly don't know what could possibly top chronomancer - both the theme and the name itself are just so good.

>

> Good for you that you have a class that you 100% love. As for me, I absolutely adore GW2's combat mechanics but I've never had a class that I love perfectly. I usually go with Bards in RPGs so having one here would be perfect.

I don't 100% love chrono, I am strictly talking about the theme of the time manipulation as well as the name itself "chronomancer"- which I think is spot on. Gameplay aside, I am saying that I don't find the concept of a bard or minstrel nearly as interesting.

So far, mesmer has been only about creating clones and shattering them for various effects. Why not look at the class in a different manner? Why not boosting the clones themselves this time with the new spec? If Bard is really in talks, what if the shatters were replaced by some "melody" effects where the function of the clones differs depending on the one you choose (over the time, one makes your clones passively heal you, the other increases might, the other provides you with damage reduction) etc - something that would finally compensate the lack of output that mesmer has. I would really love to see a utility skill that would transform all the three clones into illusions for one single attack (with a considerable cooldown of course)...just give us something that will finally make people stop saying "You play mesmer? Why don't you play something else?", because whatever the trait you pick with mesmer, there is a profession that can do it better. Mesmers have been seriously tortured over the years, and yea, I guess there will be many people trying to tell me off of this opinion because it sounds too dramatic, but how about other professions who are OP enough and still get more buffed up each time an update comes out? The new expac is called End of Dragons, but for me it will be End of Playing unless the devs finally reinvent the uniqueness of the mesmer and stop trashing its professions once and for all.

> @"Azazel.7536" said:

> So far, mesmer has been only about creating clones and shattering them for various effects. Why not look at the class in a different manner? Why not boosting the clones themselves this time with the new spec? If Bard is really in talks, what if the shatters were replaced by some "melody" effects where the function of the clones differs depending on the one you choose (over the time, one makes your clones passively heal you, the other increases might, the other provides you with damage reduction) etc - something that would finally compensate the lack of output that mesmer has. I would really love to see a utility skill that would transform all the three clones into illusions for one single attack (with a considerable cooldown of course)...just give us something that will finally make people stop saying "You play mesmer? Why don't you play something else?", because whatever the trait you pick with mesmer, there is a profession that can do it better. Mesmers have been seriously tortured over the years, and yea, I guess there will be many people trying to tell me off of this opinion because it sounds too dramatic, but how about other professions who are OP enough and still get more buffed up each time an update comes out? The new expac is called End of Dragons, but for me it will be End of Playing unless the devs finally reinvent the uniqueness of the mesmer and stop trashing its professions once and for all.

Mirage already does that. Each clone gained a new ambush attack and with the axe #3 and illusionary ambush, all clones attack the same target. Chronomancer already enhanced phantasms with Chronophantasma.

In my opinion we don't need another spec that focuses on clones/phantasms and gives them something new.

Instead, I'd like to have completely new f1-f4 skills (instruments/songs) as stated in my post. Thus, the Mesmer would get something really new, like Scourge with their new shades got. That would be super interesting if you ask me and a lot of fun to play with!

BTW, I agree that mesmer needs some core reworks to make them more viable.

I’d rather prefer a new Elite Spec that focus on Hexes since they can easily implement it in as a reverse barrier/regen essentially but it wouldn’t be a condition and would have a static duration of 2-3sec or something....

But anyways, I’ll offer my two cents to the “Minstrel” idea... when I think of Minstrel, I think of a variety of instruments used to make music, so I’m going to assume that we would get “Bundles/Kits” that give us access to a variety of abilities. Yes it does seem like Mesmers would be getting a lot but there are other classes that are overloaded as well.

How would it work with clones/phantasms? To be honest, that’s always the one thing that’s causing problems for the Mesmer to explore new and fresh builds. So I’d be perfectly fine to sacrifice having no clones/illusions summoned to get bundles that give us XX number of new skills.

> Mirage already does that. Each clone gained a new ambush attack and with the axe #3 and illusionary ambush, all clones attack the same target. Chronomancer already enhanced phantasms with Chronophantasma.

> In my opinion we don't need another spec that focuses on clones/phantasms and gives them something new.

>

> Instead, I'd like to have completely new f1-f4 skills (instruments/songs) as stated in my post. Thus, the Mesmer would get something really new, like Scourge with their new shades got. That would be super interesting if you ask me and a lot of fun to play with!

>

> BTW, I agree that mesmer needs some core reworks to make them more viable.

Yea I agree with the rework of the F1-F4 skills, maybe I provided a different example, but the point is the same. Your suggestion of the songs/instruments as well as mine of the melodies is literally the same idea to finally bring something new to mesmer, however, in my case I would definately get rid of the shatters completely, and rather leave the clones up until they die so they can keep you buffed up. Mirage/Chrono really do utilize features of their clones, but it is always just a straight offense, and if you miss your moment and waste the clones, your rotation is screwed, that is why I suggested some kind of passive buffs of your clones that could possibly stack and affect other players too, so the Mesmer itself would do most of the work without relying on shattering clones that much., because literally any class can outperform mesmer at the moment. Even damm necro minions can deal more damage that ascended mesmer :D I don't want mesmer to be OP again or anything, but it has been a long time of undermining this profession. I definately expect cry-fighters the first two weeks into the expansion, calling for immediate nerfs of whatever the new spec will be, but if this trends continues, they can just literally wipe the profession out of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

> @"Tseison.4659" said:

> I’d rather prefer a new Elite Spec that focus on Hexes since they can easily implement it in as a reverse barrier/regen essentially but it wouldn’t be a condition and would have a static duration of 2-3sec or something....

>

> But anyways, I’ll offer my two cents to the “Minstrel” idea... when I think of Minstrel, I think of a variety of instruments used to make music, so I’m going to assume that we would get “Bundles/Kits” that give us access to a variety of abilities. Yes it does seem like Mesmers would be getting a lot but there are other classes that are overloaded as well.

>

> How would it work with clones/phantasms? To be honest, that’s always the one thing that’s causing problems for the Mesmer to explore new and fresh builds. So I’d be perfectly fine to sacrifice having no clones/illusions summoned to get bundles that give us XX number of new skills.

or they could make it like FB thomes, but to get them you actually have to generate clones to get the effect.

it would be like FB except with actual drawback.

> @"Leonidrex.5649" said:

> > @"Tseison.4659" said:

> > I’d rather prefer a new Elite Spec that focus on Hexes since they can easily implement it in as a reverse barrier/regen essentially but it wouldn’t be a condition and would have a static duration of 2-3sec or something....

> >

> > But anyways, I’ll offer my two cents to the “Minstrel” idea... when I think of Minstrel, I think of a variety of instruments used to make music, so I’m going to assume that we would get “Bundles/Kits” that give us access to a variety of abilities. Yes it does seem like Mesmers would be getting a lot but there are other classes that are overloaded as well.

> >

> > How would it work with clones/phantasms? To be honest, that’s always the one thing that’s causing problems for the Mesmer to explore new and fresh builds. So I’d be perfectly fine to sacrifice having no clones/illusions summoned to get bundles that give us XX number of new skills.

>

> or they could make it like FB thomes, but to get them you actually have to generate clones to get the effect.

> it would be like FB except with actual drawback.

Ooou! That would be cool too :)

> @"Leonidrex.5649" said:

> > @"Tseison.4659" said:

> > I’d rather prefer a new Elite Spec that focus on Hexes since they can easily implement it in as a reverse barrier/regen essentially but it wouldn’t be a condition and would have a static duration of 2-3sec or something....

> >

> > But anyways, I’ll offer my two cents to the “Minstrel” idea... when I think of Minstrel, I think of a variety of instruments used to make music, so I’m going to assume that we would get “Bundles/Kits” that give us access to a variety of abilities. Yes it does seem like Mesmers would be getting a lot but there are other classes that are overloaded as well.

> >

> > How would it work with clones/phantasms? To be honest, that’s always the one thing that’s causing problems for the Mesmer to explore new and fresh builds. So I’d be perfectly fine to sacrifice having no clones/illusions summoned to get bundles that give us XX number of new skills.

>

> or they could make it like FB thomes, but to get them you actually have to generate clones to get the effect.

> it would be like FB except with actual drawback.

Yeah that's what I suggested too :P but instead I'd prefer having 4 different instruments to choose from like firebrand tome skills. Would add a lot of flavor and versatility to the mesmer!

• 2 weeks later...

> @"Dreamatics.4987" said:

> I like the idea of shouts on mesmer but music theme not seeing it at all nope nope nope XD just add a new proffession bard and be done with it XD

They will not add a new profession. Every sub-class (elite spec) you can think of could work for one of the 9 classes. They have 3 metal, 3 leather and 3 cloth classes right now. Making a totally new profession would make it unbalanced again and they would need to make a new elite spec for HoT and PoF for that new class as well. Way too much work and not needed anyway since elite specs are already a thing.