So is p/p DE actually viable DPS?

CitizenKing.4912

Rifle sucks. I know it. You know it. Everyone knows it. P/P on the other hand has seen a surge in play, and I've been enjoying it myself, but I'm curious if its actually viable? With the ability to run it and drop a perma 25 stacks of might on a coordinated team, is the dps its putting out efficient to take it to end-game pve?

No. The auto attack is still very weak and when you are not Unloading, your dps plummets. At some point, you will have to stop and wait for initiative which again, the autos are far too slow and weak for you to maintain damage. The intial burst is really good, but once you go empty, your dps is gone.

CitizenKing, yes it's absolutely viable. I posted as such earlier in the "ultimate pistol/pistol" thread in this subforum. Deadeye trait design has really augmented the dual pistols mechanic and I actually find myself doing better dps on both single target as well as small packs with dual pistols than the haphazard damage from melee weapons. You can still stay away from mobs and of course, staying alive is always better dps than being dead. :)

The deadeye P/P build is actually something that people are slowly learning is a good thing, as opposed to pre-PoF dual pistols. Keep your rifle for the very limited opportunities it affords you, and pistols for close up combat.

> @Asur.9178 said:

> Literally everything is viable in open world content - that's how much skill is needed for it.

There's still open world builds that are extremely more efficient in tagging, events/metas, soloing champions/hps, map mobility--granted less now due to mounts-- and that's why people ask for open world specs because even though "anything" works, there's things that work A LOT better.

Feel this depends on what you are doing PvE. sPVP.. ive been taking my thief into spvp and been enjoying running around with a rifle and P/P. I use my Rifle to snipe (obviously) and when people wake up and figure out its probably not a good idea to let that deadeye just mow me down... I switch to P/P and just unload them to death.... or get them danger low where they back off. Also blinding powder makes stomping easier =)

Testing on the golem instead of gut feelings would work best. Some people are saying auto attacks slow pistols. But when do we autoattack? In my experience and assuming we don't miss a shot of Unload there will be something like a one second delay between unloads *(where we do shoot one auto-attack)* which can be mitigated with the initiative regaining skills.

I do 6800 dps with double pistol on the weak 1mio HP golem. Without buffs, just standing there and unloading and hitting steal when it shows up. I can do a little more dps with staff and using damage skills (I didn't use damaging skills with pistols since I simulated pure ranged), about 7400 with not so perfect rotation.

This would look different with a team that provides buffs, but getting into close combat and doing a lot of work with staff for a little bit more dps is not worth it in my opinion, if you fight alone against a single target. Steal gives 2 initiative back, you have a really short break between Unloads after the first burst is done and most mobs die with those first 6 Unloads anyway.