Pet DPS Updated

Wondrouswall.7169

My Pet DPS Spreadsheet has been updated for Path of Fire. What to know and what does it include:

* The Pet Precision tests recorded last year still hold up. I double-checked the same Pets, while including the Jacaranda, Iboga, and Rock Gazelle to see if any were using the same precision/critical chance formula as the Players. So, be aware that the actual critical hit chance % will be lower than what appears in the Pet Management Menu.

* Pre-Path of Fire (Heart of Thorns) and Post-Path of Fire numbers. This is to show the difference in the DPS Pets used to do then and now.

* Better format and notes. No more jumbled up notes on all the Pets mixed in together. Huzzah!

LINK: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15CwjTX_ml0dekSsl6AmrY1JAZV1IQwRRrXBdUPPgPYc/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you, nice work.

And hereby we can officially conclude Fanged Iboga is bugged. Reading the tooltip this pet should outshine all others, at least vs stationary, in a test like this by a **huge** margin if only Consuming Bite worked the way the tooltip claims.

Oh the overwhelming number of bugs Anet have to work with...

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of overall DPS, it's the least damaging feline vs stationary targets and the most damaging feline vs mobile targets beyond 600 range.

Cheetah/Aqua Stalker does have a slight edge in burst encounters against trash mobs or a boss that spawns adds since Savannah Strike can hit up to 3 targets. The lesser mobs will die quickly and one can still have the base feline DPS against the stronger, remaining target.

Note that the Sand Lion can also do this while negating damage in a larger area (300 radius vs 240 cone). Though since the update years ago that causes mobs to flee more when melee pressured, Cheetah's a good option. Because of this very specific, niche advantage, it was omitted from the list since I can't test that scenario.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated the sheet once again but only on a couple of things. Some notes:

**SAND LION**

- Sand Lion's DPS has been updated due to Pack Alpha reducing Blinding Roar. It is a minor DPS increase if Beastmastery is taken, so the DPS was updated and Sand Lion was not given an additional line noting the 11/07 update.

**FANGED IBOGA**

- Fanged Iboga's DPS has been updated due to the aftercast reduction made on Consuming Bite and can be found below the original Fanged Iboga as, "Fanged Iboga (11/07)" for comparison in both the unbuffed and buffed sheets.

- Consuming Bite still applies the additional damage as a flat increase against foes afflicted with (a) condition(s) instead of per-condition as stated in the tooltip.

**ROCK GAZELLE**

- Rock Gazelle was not updated but will once the fix for Pack Alpha affecting all of its unique abilities happens.

- Due to how Charge now works with the update, it can result in a DPS loss since it displaces the Rock Gazelle far from the target if it is used within melee range and there is room for it to travel the maximum 900 distance. The distance traveled and DPS loss can be reduced by using F1 or F2 once Charge hits.

**PACK ALPHA TRAIT**

- Pack Alpha still does not affect non-Beast abilities (aka F2) of the new, unique Path of Fire pets, which include the: Fanged Iboga, Rock Gazelle, and Jacaranda. Numbers will be updated again once that fix rolls out.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Final update for the year since Pack Alpha was updated to work with all skills of the Fanged Iboga, Jacaranda, and Rock Gazelle. Things to note:

**JACARANDA**

- Updated results. No new row since it didn't receive any major updates.

- Added symbol noting that using Jacaranda's Embrace (F2) results in a DPS loss.

- Updated Jacaranda notes on Jacaranda's Embrace.

**FANGED IBOGA**

- Updated the "(11/07)" results since the DPS increase was minor.

- Added history notes.

**ROCK GAZELLE**

- Results recorded on a new row labeled "Rock Gazelle (11/07)".

- Tests were done without micromanaging the Rock Gazelle's *Charge*, allowing it to run the full distance every time.

- Added history notes.

**ADDITIONAL NOTE**

- During the 12/12 patch, *Bountiful Hunter* in *Nature Magic* was updated but not mentioned in the patch notes from: "You and your Pet deal 1% more damage for each boon on you." to "You deal 1% more damage for each boon affecting you. Your Pet deals 1% more damage for each boon affecting it."

:star: Cheers, and have a wonderful holiday. :star:

> @"Wondrouswall.7169" said:

> Final update for the year since Pack Alpha was updated to work with all skills of the Fanged Iboga, Jacaranda, and Rock Gazelle. Things to note:

>

> **JACARANDA**

> - Updated results. No new row since it didn't receive any major updates.

> - Added symbol noting that using Jacaranda's Embrace (F2) results in a DPS loss.

> - Updated Jacaranda notes on Jacaranda's Embrace.

>

> **FANGED IBOGA**

> - Updated the "(11/07)" results since the DPS increase was minor.

> - Added history notes.

>

> **ROCK GAZELLE**

> - Results recorded on a new row labeled "Rock Gazelle (11/07)".

> - Tests were done without micromanaging the Rock Gazelle's *Charge*, allowing it to run the full distance every time.

> - Added history notes.

>

> **ADDITIONAL NOTE**

> - During the 12/12 patch, *Bountiful Hunter* in *Nature Magic* was updated but not mentioned in the patch notes from: "You and your Pet deal 1% more damage for each boon on you." to "You deal 1% more damage for each boon affecting you. Your Pet deals 1% more damage for each boon affecting it."

>

> :star: Cheers, and have a wonderful holiday. :star:

Thx wondrous and happy holidays to you too.

> My Pet DPS Spreadsheet has been updated for Path of Fire. What to know and what does it include:

> * The Pet Precision tests recorded last year still hold up. I double-checked the same Pets, while including the Jacaranda, Iboga, and Rock Gazelle to see if any were using the same precision/critical chance formula as the Players. So, be aware that the actual critical hit chance % will be lower than what appears in the Pet Management Menu.

> * Pre-Path of Fire (Heart of Thorns) and Post-Path of Fire numbers. This is to show the difference in the DPS Pets used to do then and now.

> * Better format and notes. No more jumbled up notes on all the Pets mixed in together. Huzzah!

>

> LINK: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15CwjTX_ml0dekSsl6AmrY1JAZV1IQwRRrXBdUPPgPYc/edit?usp=sharing

I only see three pets on this link.

Do you have a link (or screenshot) of the full list of pets?

• 4 months later...

Hey, once again with another update!

With this patch there are 2 major things to note:

* Fanged Iboga's auto attack (Consuming Bite) is now working as intended, dealing additional damage for each unique condition on the target(s).

* Electric Wyvern's [F2] Beast Ability (Lightning Assault) can strike a target only once, which means no more multi-hits on large hit-boxes or targets moving away.

That said, other notes to be mindful on the sheet:

* Years have been added to noted dates (I know, I know. It should have been done when this spreadsheet was made).

* The new Fanged Iboga DPS for this update is now listed as "Fanged Iboga (05/08/18)" underneath "Fanged Iboga (11/07/17)".

* The conditions used for the 05/08/18 numbers uses 8 conditions. It would have been 9 but Weakness could not be applied to the Golem.

The DPS increase of the Fanged Iboga currently without Quickness from the 11/07/17 update has increased by 55.77% under these conditions while the DPS with Quickness saw a 47.15% increase. Note that it _will_ do more damage in encounters like large, open-world events where every condition except Taunt and Fear are pretty much 100% and NPCs using their attacks (every so often) will net additional damage via confusion ticks, but **IF** you can at least give it full might and fury.

As a side note, I _really_ wish they would unsplit the axe numbers for PvE. Maybe then, core condition Ranger can be a thing again with the Iboga at their side. Huzzah! Oh, and cheers.

> Note that it _will_ do more damage in encounters like large, open-world events where every condition except Taunt and Fear are pretty much 100%

Indeed. Given every boon availabe to the pet plus sic'em, and every condition on the foe, consuming bite can crit for more than 30k, and the pet alone is capable of dps in the 12k range (unrealistic). Under this same scenario, the Iboga deals about 3 times the damage compared to the second best pet.

> @"OGDeadHead.8326" said:

> > @"Wondrouswall.7169" said:

> > Note that it _will_ do more damage in encounters like large, open-world events where every condition except Taunt and Fear are pretty much 100%

>

> Indeed. Given every boon availabe to the pet plus sic'em, and every condition on the foe, consuming bite can crit for more than 30k, and the pet alone is capable of dps in the 12k range (unrealistic). Under this same scenario, the Iboga deals about 3 times the damage compared to the second best pet.

My experience, so far, has been different, but I'll test the pet more tomorrow. I just wish it would hold aggro a little better.

> @"OGDeadHead.8326" said:

> > @"Wondrouswall.7169" said:

> > Note that it _will_ do more damage in encounters like large, open-world events where every condition except Taunt and Fear are pretty much 100%

>

> Indeed. Given every boon availabe to the pet plus sic'em, and every condition on the foe, consuming bite can crit for more than 30k, and the pet alone is capable of dps in the 12k range (unrealistic). Under this same scenario, the Iboga deals about 3 times the damage compared to the second best pet.

Definitely. Going core Power Ranger (MM/NM/BM) might be a good alternative in PvE under those conditions. If not, then it would be at least a decent option for people who still do not mind fighting alongside the pet. It's just too bad that there's only the Iboga.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, everyone - Rangers and all! Another patch and update to the Iboga. Link found up top or down below in my Signature.

**The 05/22/2018 update (for reference):**

* Iboga—Consuming Bite: Reduced the base damage of this skill by 40%, and reduced its scaling damage per condition by 75%.

**What's been updated in the spreadsheet(s):**

* Fanged Iboga (05/22/18) entry in the "Pet DPS (Unbuffed)" sheet.

* Added a "with 10 conditions" entry in the "Pet DPS (Unbuffed)" sheet.

* Fanged Iboga (05/22/18) entry in the "Pet DPS (Buffed)" sheet.

* Fanged Iboga (05/22/18) **Power** entry in the "Pet DPS (Buffed)" sheet.

* Noted the update in the Fanged Iboga's history notes.

**Has the Iboga been defanged?**

* The short answer: Yes.

* The unbuffed damage resulted in a 45% DPS decrease from the 11/07/17 bugged version and a 30% DPS decrease from the original bugged version.

* With 10 conditions on a target, the unbuffed damage resulted in a 20% DPS decrease compared to the 11/07/17 bugged version while having a 1% DPS increase from the original bugged version.

* The buffed damage without quickness resulted in a 59% DPS decrease from the 05/08/18 version, a 26% DPS decrease from the 11/07/17 bugged version, and a 5% DPS decrease from the original bugged version.

* The buffed damage with quickness resulted in a 60% DPS decrease from the 05/08/18 version, a 17% DPS decrease from the 11/07/17 bugged version, and an 8% DPS increase from the original bugged version.

* The Iboga does slightly more damage in a power setup with the buffed damage without quickness having a 6% DPS increase over the condition setup while the buffed damage with quickness has a 9% DPS increase over the condition setup.

**Where does this place the Iboga?**

It can rival the Jacaranda in a power setup under the right circumstances, with the caveat of the target having at least 8 or more conditions on it and attacking frequently enough or having channeled attacks that activate confusion multiple times to bolster its damage.

It's not the worst DPS pet. The Iboga has the *potential* to deal more damage than Wyverns as a pet with cleave and CC. However, its damage relies heavily on multiple, unique conditions on targets, making its DPS inconsistent in most circumstances.

It remains a solid choice in open-world group content where bosses tend to have nearly every condition on them due to hordes of attacking players. As for instanced content, the Electric Wyvern remains a safe pick if you require additional cleave/CC and the Jacaranda for reliable DPS.

Cheers, all.

Edit: Grammar.

Thank you. Testing this nonsense now. Geez. I knew it was coming, but come on!

Edit: Yeah, the DPS drop is quite noticeable. Against normal mobs, you may not notice. But on vets and champs, you will definitely see a difference. Sigh. Things like this make me reconsider continuing with this game. :/

> @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> Thank you. Testing this nonsense now. Geez. I knew it was coming, but come on!

>

> Edit: Yeah, the DPS drop is quite noticeable. Against normal mobs, you may not notice. But on vets and champs, you will definitely see a difference. Sigh. Things like this make me reconsider continuing with this game. :/

Yeah, like the nerf made sense, Iboga was ridiculous after it was fixed, but you don’t need to gut the damn thing, just nerf it down so it’s more inline with cats against an enemy with tons of condis, the base auto didn’t need to be hurt, as hard as it was.

> @"Durzlla.6295" said:

>...just nerf it down so it’s more inline with cats against an enemy with tons of condis, the base auto didn’t need to be hurt, as hard as it was.

At one point, between 11/07/17 and 05/07/18, the Iboga's DPS *was* inline with felines back when it had aftercasts reduced on its moveset and it was still bugged when the additional damage was a flat increase vs foes with a condition rather than an increase per condition.

I'd rather have it reverted back to that point in time and the tooltip reworded, but I don't think there are enough Rangers that care to make a big deal of it like when Smokescale had its F2 replaced with Smoke Assault.

Thanks for the chart.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous Anet overnerf Iboga to the degree that it's WORSE than before the bug fix of its AA...

So what's the point of fixing that bug if they're gonna be lower than pre-bug fix?

That dps is using the dps of target having every condition, so why is it lower than the pre-patch version when the modifier doesn't apply?

Get your dps number right Anet!

Bleh, guess I'd stick with the old boring Jacaranda and Electric Wyvern (for CC and more aoe)