Shaders (High, Medium, Low)

I am not sure if this is the right section where to post the suggestion, but I'll go with it!

I have been doing some graphics testing in GW2 to get the most appealing look, so naturally I went with 'HIGHEST" with everything.

Shaders on High however...why, oh why, does my character glow so much and looks wet then? Everything received a plastic-like feel, making my character look like he's wearing a wig and making his face look absolutely distorted!

Wolves get a plastic-like glowing fur, mounts look awkward...and the only good thing about this is the environment, which gets a really bumpy/realistic look.

Is it possible to separately make Shaders for environment and character?

That being said, I tried Medium shaders and they are much more realistic compared to High Shaders, but still the character gets plastic-like hair and bumpy face which makes him look awkward as heck...like some caveman.

Environment loses the bumpiness and goes a bit flat.

Shaders on Low are the most appealing for eye, but...grass doesn't move when I walk over it and textures become a lot worse.

I'd really love to keep "Low Shaders" setting for my character, but be able to up everything else to make it look beautiful, without having my character shine and look like a caveman.

I imagine I am not the only one having this issue or...well, noticing these things xD

I'd keep shaders on low had textures not lost quality and had grass not stopped moving...I wish we had more flexibility with graphics options in general :(

> @"Blur.3465" said:

> I am not sure if this is the right section where to post the suggestion, but I'll go with it!

>

> I have been doing some graphics testing in GW2 to get the most appealing look, so naturally I went with 'HIGHEST" with everything.

> Shaders on High however...why, oh why, does my character glow so much and looks wet then? Everything received a plastic-like feel

1. Try deactivating post-processing, as this is definitely not Shader related. I have Shaders on High and am experiencing no such issue.

2. Are your graphics drivers up to date?

3. Have you tried repairing your GW2 client?

4. Do you have all DX9.0c files installed, in case you are using Windows 10?

> @"Blur.3465" said:

> Environment loses the bumpiness and goes a bit flat.

That's to do with the distance at which objects and environment are rendered. At higher settings you see everything as it actually is.

P.S. This would have been the correct forums section: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/categories/account-technical-support

Yes, shaders affect the grass movement of 'your character', as with shaders on low the grass won't move if you walk over it.

@"Ashantara.8731"

1. I haven't deactivated post processing while using Shaders on high, I may actually go for it, thanks!

2. All up to date, it's not graphics driver issue.

3. Not a GW2 client issue either.

4. Not a Dx issue either.

It's purely to do with how the game's graphics are 'made' so to speak. With highest Shaders + PP the character hair turns out looking plastic and most of other things look wet/plastic-y too.

That glow gets lost with low/medium shaders, where fur/hair becomes more realistic, but everything else loses on realism on low shaders.

Medium is the-go for me for now.

As for Distance, the issue is also with Shaders. High Shaders define the texture for rocks etc, making everything more 'defined'/bumpier so to speak, while with Medium/Low shaders one loses that and things become more flat.

People who main Charr might not notice this, but on Human characters it's suuuuper noticeable and it does become an eye-sore.

What especially bothers me is the unnatural shine on hair and the annoying 'lighting' on face, making character look a ton older and like a caveman.

Would be just nice to separate these and let us adjust lighting for our characters :/

Also aye, should've probably posted it in tech forum!