Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic VS Silver-Fed Salvage-o-Matic

> @Daddicus.6128 said:

> I agree, but there is another cost: the gem value. While they can be purchased for real money, they also can be bought with in-game gold. Gems are (very roughly) 180g each for the salvagers. So, it takes about **350 salvages to pay for the copper-fed**. It takes a lot longer for the silver-fed, because the savings are almost nil.

Just a (not so) minor correction here. Copper fed saves 0.52 **copper** per salvage. This means that 350 salvages will be a gain of 182 copper (not gold), and would take 10000x that to reach 182 gold.

> @Glacial.9516 said:

> > @Daddicus.6128 said:

> > I agree, but there is another cost: the gem value. While they can be purchased for real money, they also can be bought with in-game gold. Gems are (very roughly) 180g each for the salvagers. So, it takes about **350 salvages to pay for the copper-fed**. It takes a lot longer for the silver-fed, because the savings are almost nil.

> Just a (not so) minor correction here. Copper fed saves 0.52 **copper** per salvage. This means that 350 salvages will be a gain of 182 copper (not gold), and would take 10000x that to reach 182 gold.

but hey, a copper saved

> @Glacial.9516 said:

> > @Daddicus.6128 said:

> > I agree, but there is another cost: the gem value. While they can be purchased for real money, they also can be bought with in-game gold. Gems are (very roughly) 180g each for the salvagers. So, it takes about **350 salvages to pay for the copper-fed**. It takes a lot longer for the silver-fed, because the savings are almost nil.

> Just a (not so) minor correction here. Copper fed saves 0.52 **copper** per salvage. This means that 350 salvages will be a gain of 182 copper (not gold), and would take 10000x that to reach 182 gold.

You're right, but it's only 100x (36,000 salvages times 52c = 180g).

> @onevstheworld.2419 said:

> I don't think you should buy the copper/silver feds for cost saving reasons... e.g. you need 3+mil uses to make the copper-fed cost neutral: only the top 15 salvagers on GW2 efficiency have more than 3mil salvages.

>

> Think of it as a time saving measure. Or, now that salvage-all is a thing, an arthritis-saving measure.

You made the same mistake I did, in the other direction. It's 35,000 (not 350 like I said nor 3 million like you said). And, I'm well over 100,000 salvages, so it would be paid for (if I had bought it earlier).

> @Hitman.5829 said:

> Why is Silver-Fed Salvage-o-Matic much cheaper in gems and gives a better rewards chance than Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic who is 300 more gems?

> It just does not make any sense! Please have the most expensive gem item give better **rewards**! This is insane, paying more for less is just ridiculous!

The idea of the savage-o-matics is not actually about "rewards" but rather about convenience. The copper one is more convenient than the silver one IMHO, however, I personally think they both should be the same gem price.

> @Daddicus.6128 said:

> > @Glacial.9516 said:

> > > @Daddicus.6128 said:

> > > I agree, but there is another cost: the gem value. While they can be purchased for real money, they also can be bought with in-game gold. Gems are (very roughly) 180g each for the salvagers. So, it takes about **350 salvages to pay for the copper-fed**. It takes a lot longer for the silver-fed, because the savings are almost nil.

> > Just a (not so) minor correction here. Copper fed saves 0.52 **copper** per salvage. This means that 350 salvages will be a gain of 182 copper (not gold), and would take 10000x that to reach 182 gold.

> You're right, but it's only 100x (36,000 salvages times 52c = 180g).

>

Erm... the savings per salvage is 0.52c (3.52 vs 3c) not 52c.

Because copper fed is much greater convenience compared to the alternatives.

Silver fed is competing with mystic kits (250 use), and is going to see significantly less use, meaning a 250 use kit lasts a while - several days to several weeks (or years), depending on how much you play.

Essentially in real terms, the silver fed takes much more play-time to break even.

• 8 months later...

> @"Boysenberry.1869" said:

> > @Ojimaru.8970 said:

> > And the moment they put it back on, not only will you waste no time buying it with Gems, you'll also start enjoying it immensely and recommending your friends and guildmates to buy it, too. Isn't simple marketing theory amazing?

>

> Except, by then it'll be out of the store and they'll have to wait another year before seeing it again. Enticing players with occasional hot items is all well and good but loses all value when it takes forever for the item to return to the store.

> @"Player.9621" said:

> > @Ojimaru.8970 said:

> > > @Player.9621 said:

> > > > @Cyprien.4208 said:

> > > > They take silver fed off the gem shop like outfits to keep people from buying it then later will bring it back hoping more will buy it because they couldn't before.

> > >

> > > theres no logic in that tho, im sitting here with cash to burn and if it was there i would buy it right now but i cant

> >

> > And the moment they put it back on, not only will you waste no time buying it with Gems, you'll also start enjoying it immensely and recommending your friends and guildmates to buy it, too. Isn't simple marketing theory amazing?

>

> no thats not good or clever

>

> maybe petrol stations should only sell gas on the weekends that way they could get more money from the hype = your logic

So many eye rolls and groans when I read this type of stuff. Anet wants to make money NOW and enough money to pay their staff and upgrade the game, which they use the gem store to help fund. Putting an item up indefinitely means players might wait months (or even a year or more) before purchasing something because it is always available. If Anet needs to generate a consistent amount of money per month, putting items up for a limited time encourages people to buy the item TODAY and not wait to make that purchase.

And to the guy who mentioned petrol stations only selling gas on the weekend. OMG the head shaking I experienced reading this . . . petrol doesn't have the same supply/demand issue as luxury items bought in a game. That being said, go buy gas in the winter vs the summer. Oh, you mean they gouge the price when people tend to drive more (ie. the summer). It's the same basic principal but just adjusted slightly due to a real world NEED vs a leisure time WANT. Seriously some of you need to go take a basic economics course, this isn't that hard to understand.

tl;dr The fact that you are complaining about the limited supply because of your demand for it is kind of the point. Sit and think about it and it will become clear to you too!

> @"Daddicus.6128" said:

> > @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

> > The Salvage-O-Matics are not worth buying. For the Silver-Fed, you would need to salvage 600k+ items for finally earn back your initial gold investment. And the Copper-Fed is far worse, and you would need to salvage millions of items to earn back the investment. Of course, it's a different story if you're paying with cash, or have high amounts of gold, and simply feel the convenience of never having to buy the kits again is worth the cost.

> >

> > But more to the point of what you're saying, from what I've seen, the Silver-Fed has change in price over time anyway.

>

> I really like them, but they were only valuable (to me) once we got shared inventory slots. Now I don't need piles of salvage kits on every character.

>

> I don't care how long it takes to make up the money. But, that's partly because I bought them both on sale (which makes the time scales come down quite a bit). The convenience of having just two slots to handle 90% of my salvaging is more than worth it to me.

That is exactly what I've done with mine. It was the only thing I used in my shared inventory when we got our free slot. It hasn't moved since. I find it funny when someone tries to tell others the worth of an item. Value is subjective, and I find my copper fed machine to be more than worth the cost. Not only do I not lose any bag space to salvage kits, but I also dont lose any to random blue/green items, because they get deconstructed when my bags are getting full.

I chose the copper fed machine over the silver purely for monetary reasons. I don't make a tone of gold, but I deconstruct like crazy when I'm playing. The silver fed machine may have a higher rate of obtaining better materials, but it didn't seem worth it in the end after paying that much to break items down. Most mats I sell are worth less per unit than it would cost to obtain those mats, so you would be losing money. There isn't much in this game that is worth less than three copper, though.