Are Overlay-Addons like TacO allowed?

Hey there,

Quick question for you guys, as mentioned in the title I would like to know more about the Tactical Overlay. I researched for quite some time on my own now, but I haven't found anything useful until now. I haven't used it so far and I just wanted to ask what your experience is with TacO and other Overlay-Type addons. (I don't want my account to get banned/suspended for something I just rushed into).

I found some posts which say its ok to use the TacO, some say try at your own risk and others claim they have been using it and got banned for it. Most of the posts I found were 1+ years old so I wanted to ask for an update for 2019. I apologize if you already saw the same question 1000 times before and hope I could still get some answers.

Thank you!

Anet doesn't support or flat out say addons are allowed in most cases (I have seen where [Anet green-lit Arc DPS](

"Anet green-lit Arc DPS") at one time and stated [TacO didn't violate the rules](
"TacO didn't violate the rules")). They are use at your own risk and some are tolerated by Anet. They have even featured videos of the GW2 TacO addon in use on their Twitter at times. Examples:

TacO is an overlay. Several years ago ANet actually had a [contest for people to design overlays for the Overwolf app.](https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-results-of-the-overwolf-guild-wars-2-app-challenge-are-in/ "contest for people to design overlays for the Overwolf app.") So TacO being an overlay is very similar to what Anet was promoting via their contest.

By use at your own risk, for the addons Anet seems to more or less tolerate like TacO and Arc DPS this mostly means if the addon breaks your game, your computer, or does something like delete all your characters Anet won't provide support for that. Or if the creator adds something later to it that does violate the rules your account could be jeopardized for using it.

*Note it appears Chris Cleary has deleted his Reddit account so that is why the links in the first paragraph show "deleted" for the user name.

Alright, thank you for your answers helped me alot to get a better understanding of the situation. And a bit thank you to JustTrogdor.7892 for the examples with the posts etc..

Did or does anyone of you use TacO atm? If so, did you encounter any problems with it so far?

Gonna think about it still not to sure if I should just stick to the "old-fashined" webguides.

> @"Imudriss.6921" said:

> Alright, thank you for your answers helped me alot to get a better understanding of the situation. And a bit thank you to JustTrogdor.7892 for the examples with the posts etc..

> Did or does anyone of you use TacO atm? If so, did you encounter any problems with it so far?

>

> Gonna think about it still not to sure if I should just stick to the "old-fashined" webguides.

The person that makes a lot of the markers for TacO, that is also the person featured in the videos above, seems to have been using it for a few years with no problems. I've been using it myself, mostly for the mouse highlight feature and meta timer, and have had no problems. I think some of the references where people state they were banned for it had to do with the mass suspension Anet did some time back and was not truly related to TacO. When people break the rules they sometimes try to lay blame on something that wasn't really the cause when they know the real reason.

i am a Taco user myself and it is allowed by anet - its just an overlay and doesnt require you to input any login info and if by chance it errors - it wont affect the game or its data ( if taco goofs up just go into task manager and end taco - it doesnt affect gw2.exe ) . Most of the time its just like looking up a map location or similar on wiki in my view , yes some of the trails are useful but again these can be found on numerous sites and once you sort of learn the route the trails dont get used . As for problems - ive had none so far and ive been using it for over 6 months easily now . Also with Taco you have the ability to edit/add your own markers/trails etc . It doesnt hack into the game , change data , make u super powerful and the only advantage it does give you is same as going on wiki etc and learning whats where etc

TacO is an overlay that literally doesn't interact with the game at all. Last I knew, it used the Mumble Overlay API to present this information, so it's using the same system Mumble uses to show who's talking. To call it an addon would be incorrect.

It's simply a program that's smartly designed to give you location-relevant information without touching the game.