Deleted discussions

yann.1946

> @"Super Hayes.6890" said:

> I just want a notification when a thread I was participating in gets deleted. That would save me a few minutes of figuring out where the conversation I'm looking for went. To be fair, a few recent threads were obviously going to get deleted. I didn't waste time looking for those.

Maybe there should be a separate folder for Deleted/Locked threads.

You still wouldn't be able to access them, but would be directed to the topic to see it is off limits.

You could even keep the author anonymous (or not).

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> Maybe there should be a separate folder for Deleted/Locked threads.

This is more or less the current situation. What we see of the forum is not the entire thing. All of the "deleted" things are moved to a locked area/folder. Unfortunately, we do not have the rights to enter that area.

I would like to see a screenshot of the entire forum for once, I fear we are barely using half of it. I also have a theory that they use the locked section for internal communications.

But yeah, it is annoying. I stopped counting how many times I have tried to find a certain post just to realize later that it was deleted/locked away. Looking at the Activity tracker, we get notifications when people change their avatar pictures. So it should not be that difficult to get a notification if a thread gets moderated.

Yes you can. Under Settings-Preferences, there is an option for "Notify me when someone mentions me". Tick it on and you will receive a message containing the comment whenever someone quotes you or uses "@" with your name.

This will not retrieve previous messages and commentary, but it will work moving forward.

> @"HnRkLnXqZ.1870" said:

> > @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> > Maybe there should be a separate folder for Deleted/Locked threads.

>

> This is more or less the current situation. What we see of the forum is not the entire thing. All of the "deleted" things are moved to a locked area/folder. Unfortunately, we do not have the rights to enter that area.

>

> I would like to see a screenshot of the entire forum for once, I fear we are barely using half of it. I also have a theory that they use the locked section for internal communications.

>

> But yeah, it is annoying. I stopped counting how many times I have tried to find a certain post just to realize later that it was deleted/locked away. Looking at the Activity tracker, we get notifications when people change their avatar pictures. So it should not be that difficult to get a notification if a thread gets moderated.

Based on forums I've been a moderator or admin on I'd expect at most two hidden sections: one to keep 'deleted' topics for future reference (or so they can delete it and then follow up with individual warnings) and one for them to discuss rules and decisions amongst themselves, and since the moderators are all Anet staff they might not need that second one because they could use their work email or another system. Those sections never get much use because it's a relatively small number of people only posting there when necessary.

The only forum I've ever been part of which had more hidden sections than publicly available ones was a role-playing forum and that's because we had sections for each faction (with sub sections for different topics) which only members of that faction could see, plus sections for things like 'the realm of the undead' (which only undead character could see). But that was a bit different because players could get access to them, they just had to make the right kind of character.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> Yes you can. Under Settings-Preferences, there is an option for "Notify me when someone mentions me". Tick it on and you will receive a message containing the comment whenever someone quotes you or uses "@" with your name.

>

> This will not retrieve previous messages and commentary, but it will work moving forward.

That's not how that works. It just tells you someone mentioned you.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> Yes you can. Under Settings-Preferences, there is an option for "Notify me when someone mentions me". Tick it on and you will receive a message containing the comment whenever someone quotes you or uses "@" with your name.

>

> This will not retrieve previous messages and commentary, but it will work moving forward.

That doesn't work if the discussion gets deleted. :)