Quite Frustrated with PoF

I found it quite nice, it was a nice idea that your character dies. the part of the story that i found filler is where you have to run around in the elonian rivelands and talk with the people asking them for the hidden city. if you happen to go through the wrong cycle of people you talk for no reason, the dialogue most of them give doesn't add anything nice for the story. instead it's just a few words that don't help you at all, since the areas are already high-lighted.

I know there is a fast way to go through, but you don't know this when you do it the first time, and as I have mentioned, the dialogue they give isn't worth the walking towards them, even with a mount. they all say the same thing, or they even say they don't know anything about it.

The name of the story part is:

The Way Forward (when you first enter the zone)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Departed was actually one of my favorite story chapters and I have no idea how people struggle so much even pre nerf. I had absolutely no issues whatsoever and enjoyed exploring the map, following my past memories and all. And there actually were hints where to find your gear - the character that was following you said stuff like "maybe look over there" or so..

But yeah, I can see how playing an rpg can be hard for someone who's not into rpg's, which seems to be the case with everyone complaining so far.

I wonder how those people would react to games like Gothic 1 & 2... bwaaah there's a wolf like 50m from the tower where I spawn, how am I supposed to kill a wolf with my bare hands (considering that they'd probably not find any of the weapons or spells in between)

> @TwilightSoul.9048 said:

>And there actually were hints where to find your gear - the character that was following you said stuff like "maybe look over there" or so..

If true, it's either buggy or Anet has changed it since the launch.

There was nobody following. Whats-her-name stayed where the judge appeared while I went looking for weapons, and she only started tagging along after I defeated the name-stealers.

@"PirateLove.6417" Yea, I definitely enjoy it more than what I consider to be the dragging points. And while I generally prefer action over mystery, I don't have problem giving credit when something is well done. I don't feel the Gw2 "mystery" of that level is well designed - it doesn't add anything, it only takes away. CharterforGw named that quest I mentioned that shortly preceded The Departed which is a great example of punishing tedium. There are other examples of this, but these two sections are the most obvious.

Maybe it's more direct if you pay close attention, but if the game has never required this before (believe me, it hasn't) there's no reason to make it a penalty now.

Thank you CharterforGw for sharing the name of that one. That mission was the epitome of padding.

The idea behind taking away everything from the character works if the player is made better off for the experience. But you aren't. You do all that work just to wind up right back where you started.

I didn't really think this story mission was particularly hard or lengthy. It was just stupid plot wise, especially the horrible writing for the story that preceded it. "Let's attack this Balthazar bloke with no plan or army or special powers whatsoever! I'm sure that's going to end well!" "Oh, no, I guess not. This outcome was even less predictable than the Spanish Inquisition."

> @Zaltys.7649 said:

> > @TwilightSoul.9048 said:

> >And there actually were hints where to find your gear - the character that was following you said stuff like "maybe look over there" or so..

> If true, it's either buggy or Anet has changed it since the launch.

> There was nobody following. Whats-her-name stayed where the judge appeared while I went looking for weapons, and she only started tagging along after I defeated the name-stealers.

Then you probably encountered a bug there, I played it 2 or 3 days after PoF launch and she'd follow me and occasionally make some remarks

On finding kessho

As someone who studies archeology I loved this part of the story. Many dig locations are found by asking locals and investing rumors just like in this step. This was possibly the single most brilliant Pat of PoF.

Now thecplayer character dieing and coming back is not new to guild wars shiro killed us in factions. Death and Resurrection is part of the archetypical hero's journey I have honestly been waiting for it to happen sencece launch