Mastery issue

MrGrim.2193

So i got to 80 today. filled up my xp bar again for the mastery stuff.

BUT

i don't have access to masteries untill i finish the first mission in path of fire or hearts of stone. not even the central tyria masteries are available to me.

Now i could rush to do one of those missions but that's just stupid. i wanted to play the games story in the correct order. now im going to get tons of xp getting wasted because i can't spend the current xp on masteries.

you should at least make central tyria masteries available without quest requirements.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> Iirc you should still be getting spirit shards.

No, he should not still be getting Spirit Shards (from completing XP bars). Spirit Shards are only awarded after _all_ Masteries in a region are completed (save those hidden, like Raids, etc.).

Edit: Just wanted to make it clear that Spirit Shards aren't awarded at the end of XP bars before Masteries are completed; though, there are other ways to acquire them (including dropping as loot from foes).

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > Iirc you should still be getting spirit shards.

>

> No, he should not still be getting Spirit Shards. Spirit Shards are only awarded after _all_ Masteries in a region are completed (save those hidden, like Raids, etc.).

Ah, I thought it was all available masteries, so if they were locked then they wouldn't stop it. Guess not.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > Iirc you should still be getting spirit shards.

> >

> > No, he should not still be getting Spirit Shards. Spirit Shards are only awarded after _all_ Masteries in a region are completed (save those hidden, like Raids, etc.).

>

> Ah, I thought it was all available masteries, so if they were locked then they wouldn't stop it. Guess not.

However, the post-masteries "level up" is *far* from the only source of shards - they also drop as regular random loot.

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > > Iirc you should still be getting spirit shards.

> > >

> > > No, he should not still be getting Spirit Shards. Spirit Shards are only awarded after _all_ Masteries in a region are completed (save those hidden, like Raids, etc.).

> >

> > Ah, I thought it was all available masteries, so if they were locked then they wouldn't stop it. Guess not.

>

> However, the post-masteries "level up" is *far* from the only source of shards - they also drop as regular random loot.

I think that is a little beside the point.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > > > Iirc you should still be getting spirit shards.

> > > >

> > > > No, he should not still be getting Spirit Shards. Spirit Shards are only awarded after _all_ Masteries in a region are completed (save those hidden, like Raids, etc.).

> > >

> > > Ah, I thought it was all available masteries, so if they were locked then they wouldn't stop it. Guess not.

> >

> > However, the post-masteries "level up" is *far* from the only source of shards - they also drop as regular random loot.

>

> I think that is a little beside the point.

I think it's relevant (even if only tangentially) for two reasons:

1) I suspect the random drops are contributing to the confusion about when you get spirit shards from "leveling", given that *many* players don't know they also drop from mobs.

2) Many (though far from all) arguments about "wasted xp" involve some variant of "I can't get spirit shards if I can't max masteries", which is factually incorrect.

I realize that I should have made these points in my first post - looking back it *does* seem like a non sequiteur. My appologies!

Getting back to the problem of locked masteries - my recommendation would be to do the PoF intro. While both expansion intros contain spoilers for the previous story, the HoT one has the main big reveal of S2 wide open; the PoF one contain less of the actual details from S3. We get *who* the main antagonist is, but not so many references to *how and why* he entered the field, which is more of what the S3 story is concerned with.

Bonus: a basic raptor mount is more useful in most Core Tyria maps than un-upgraded gliding.

tl;dr: PoF intro ruins *much* less of S3 than HoT intro ruins S2, so do that one to unlock masteries.

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > > > > Iirc you should still be getting spirit shards.

> > > > >

> > > > > No, he should not still be getting Spirit Shards. Spirit Shards are only awarded after _all_ Masteries in a region are completed (save those hidden, like Raids, etc.).

> > > >

> > > > Ah, I thought it was all available masteries, so if they were locked then they wouldn't stop it. Guess not.

> > >

> > > However, the post-masteries "level up" is *far* from the only source of shards - they also drop as regular random loot.

> >

> > I think that is a little beside the point.

>

> I think it's relevant (even if only tangentially) for two reasons:

> 1) I suspect the random drops are contributing to the confusion about when you get spirit shards from "leveling", given that *many* players don't know they also drop from mobs.

> 2) Many (though far from all) arguments about "wasted xp" involve some variant of "I can't get spirit shards if I can't max masteries", which is factually incorrect.

>

> I realize that I should have made these points in my first post - looking back it *does* seem like a non sequiteur. My appologies!

>

>

> Getting back to the problem of locked masteries - my recommendation would be to do the PoF intro. While both expansion intros contain spoilers for the previous story, the HoT one has the main big reveal of S2 wide open; the PoF one contain less of the actual details from S3. We get *who* the main antagonist is, but not so many references to *how and why* he entered the field, which is more of what the S3 story is concerned with.

> Bonus: a basic raptor mount is more useful in most Core Tyria maps than un-upgraded gliding.

>

> tl;dr: PoF intro ruins *much* less of S3 than HoT intro ruins S2, so do that one to unlock masteries.

Only point 2 was really relevant here and it had already been covered by someone correcting that you don't get spirit shards from exp if you have any masteries undone.