Main UI is a HUGE mess

aelska.4609

Main UI is so much confusing even for the "everyday" tasks. It gets worse at each update (new content), I would like to highlight this fact with two simple examples:

# **1) Changing the skins**

First step is to go equipment tab (that actually makes sense). Then I have to select wardrobe. What are the other options ? Equipment, dyes, outfits, miniatures, finishers, mail carriers, glider skins, mounts, novelties ... Are they all useful to complete this simple task which is to change character appearance ? Absolutely not. Is there only one tab related to the character appearance ? Absolutely not. Which means that I have to filter out all the unnecessary tabs to find the good option, and that I will have to go to the process several times ... just to change the skins.

> wardrobe ... But then how do I apply dyes ? Oh yeah back > I fall back to the main menu, with the same problem as before. I finally find the option "dyes" which is a must have for the skin. There I am, I can change something fundamental.

> Finally I want to apply this outfit that I just bought. Why is it not in wardrobe ??? Oh yeah right. There is dedicated submenu for it, next to the finishers.

What I recommand:

Menu "Appearance".

First window contains a merge between wardrobe, dyes and outfits. I.E., on the same window, easily gives access to dyes, outfits/wardrobe. Within the same window, gives access to mount and glider skins (and maybe even mini, finishers and mail carriers). That would look like

Main UI/

|-- Appearances -> Wardrobe, dyes and outfit window/

| ... |-- Mount skins

| ... |-- Glider skins

| ... |-- Miniatures

| ... |-- Finishers

|-- (Others to specify)

# **2) Changing the build**

Same, but with the build. This is even more hilarious as it is newer, yet even less user-friendly. Build is composed of 3 things: armor and weapons, traits, and utilities.

I want to change the armor and weapons: I click on equipemnt (that makes sense). But then I fall in the flooded menu that was the same for the skins, with dyes, outfits, miniatures, ... . I finally find the good menu by clicking equipment again. What are the tabs on top ??? Ah yeah, build template that's right. Does it also changes traits ? absolutely not.

Now I want to change traits. Do I have to go back in the confusing menu, like we had to do for skins ? No no no. There is a second tab utilities in the main UI. What are the tabs on the top ??? I still dont have an answer so much it's confusing. What is that column on the left ? Oh yeah, build template. will it change my armor ? Absolutely not. Does it also stores utilities ? Yuuupp. How do I change them ? By using the bottom UI. Wow, userfriendly.

What I recommand:

No point to reinvent the wheel again, create a UI similar to [http://fr.gw2skills.net/editor/](http://fr.gw2skills.net/editor/) (which can, imo even be further simplified).

Build template management could get added on a column left or right of each subtab (utilities/traits/equipment). There should be a "global" template which combines the three (so that changing a build takes two clicks and not 6).

Overall, this gives:

Main UI/

|-- Appearances -> Wardrobe, dyes and outfit window/

| ... |-- Mount skins

| ... |-- Glider skins

| ... |-- Miniatures

| ... |-- Finishers

|-- Build -> window similar to gw2skills.net, with fast access to global build template:

| ... |-- Utilities | Build template utilities

| ... |-- Traits | Build template traits

| ... |-- Equipment | Build template equipment

|-- (others)

Congratulations, UI is way easier to use after grouping menus by functionality, and by prioritizing some of them.

I made a comment about something similar 2 days ago in the build template feedback thread: [Comment](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1122623/#Comment_1122623)

Although I did some things different:

* integrated wardrobe into the builds (but easier access to dyes, novelties, miniatures, mail carrier and finishers)

* gave Mounts a seperate submenu on its own

* inspiration for builds and their layout was gw2skills.net as well.

> @"BlackyWarsX.5384" said:

> I made a comment about something similar 2 days ago in the build template feedback thread: [Comment](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1122623/#Comment_1122623)

>

> Although I did some things different:

> * integrated wardrobe into the builds (but easier access to dyes, novelties, miniatures, mail carrier and finishers)

> * gave Mounts a seperate submenu on its own

> * inspiration for builds and their layout was gw2skills.net as well.

Demn, that's not lazy work you have done there, congratz !

That's very similar than what I had in mind, but with pictures ^_^ If Anet could implement that i'd be 300% happy :D

I don't see what is confusing about the UI. It's as plain as daylight and everything is so easily found. You say it's confusing. For starters, that is subjective. I and many others don't find it confusing at all. Want to change your character's appearance? Go to Wardrobe and select the skins. Want to change the color scheme? Go back to Main and select Dyes. You don't even have to finalize the skins before selecting dyes. You can do all of that in one go before using up transmutation charges. Besides, I don't really see that much difference between 9 main categories, or 2 main categories each with a number of subcategories (which is what you're describing). In fact, your suggestion seems more of a clutter to me than the UI the way it is now. At least the way it is now you can see all available categories in one go, by just opening the UI. Add subcategories, and you'd have to first open a main category before seeing the actual options you have.

Many choices do not equal a confusing menu. If it had been as confusing as you say it is, there would've been a lot more feedback regarding the UI and it would've been changed a long time ago already. People might not like the way it is set up but I've rarely, if ever, heard people claim it is a confusing UI.