the market is ruined...

titje.2745

> @Zedek.8932 said:

> Excelsior.

>

> The market is not ruined, it's just called "competition", a big part of (the) market, except it's from behind the Iron Curtain (in 1989, as far as I remember, 85% of a consumer basket was subsidized in the GDR so everyone was fake-happy with the situation).

>

> What I love about GW2 is that I can pump in €uros to buy nifty stuff that does not grant me any real advantage directly. I think I had that discussion yesterday. **I can spawn gold whenever I want by purchasing gems and convert them, and thus basically damaging the financial ecosystem a bit on the way**, but I am still not richer than others by any means. I have to get active for all the other currencies, for example, I had to farm a lot for my (Jerry) Springer. Not the gold. The trading contracts...

>

> The gold is probably the most "flimsy" (hey, I am not a native tongue, you get the point) currency, and you basically put a lot of hope on that horse. That's the risk behind.

That’s not how the gold<->gems exchange works. Gold is not spawned by buying gold with gems.

How it works is there is a pool of gold and a pool of gems that gold/gems are added to and taken out of by people selling/buying gold/gems. When someone buys gems with gold, he puts the gold into the gold pool and takes gems from the gem pool. When someone does the reverse with gems, they put gems in the gem pool and take gold out of the gold pool. When gold to gems increases it’s because more people are buying gems with gold and the gem pool is getting smaller (the gold pool is getting bigger). When gold to gems decreases it’s because more people are buying gold with gems and the gold pool is getting smaller (the gem pool is getting bigger). This allows the gold/gem prices to self regulate and respond to supply and demand.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @SkyShroud.2865 said:

> Yes, market crushed. My account value dropped by 10k within a week of pof launch. Now, market has reestablished at this low price.

Cash is King apparently. But a good investor diversifies. When you diversified in cash, some legendaries, some crafting materials and some rare skins you probably were fine. A high gold price was to be expected with the PoF Ultimate Ed gem influx.

I expect the market to normalize within ±4 months, when most gems have been spent or exchanged to gold. It will depend a bit of the amount of worthy new gemstore content like the new mount skins.

• 1 month later...

Selling a Legendary just for Gold sounds like a real crime to me. There are far easier methods to make gold in-game. I've made literally tens of thousands of gold, mostly with crafting. Get all of your crafting up to max, buy the materials from TP with buy orders, craft popular items and sell with sell orders. It is a way better investment of your time researching that market. Find things everyone wants but not many peopl make. Hint: read the plots on gw2tp.com to see what sell good.

> @"Arixian.1258" said:

> Selling a Legendary just for Gold sounds like a real crime to me. There are far easier methods to make gold in-game. I've made literally tens of thousands of gold, mostly with crafting. Get all of your crafting up to max, buy the materials from TP with buy orders, craft popular items and sell with sell orders. It is a way better investment of your time researching that market. Find things everyone wants but not many peopl make. Hint: read the plots on gw2tp.com to see what sell good.

"Easy" is relative. Personally, I'm happy to sell legendaries to make my gold. It's a relaxed, *easy* way which doesn't make me do something tedious that I don't want to. Meaning I found my ways to enjoy the necessary activities like the map completion. Market speculation and crafting don't rock my boat. I don't care if I can make gold quicker like that, a virtual currency that's only good in the game is useless if I'm not enjoying my time spent there.