Creating a Profession from Scratch

The more I look at the current professions and elites, the more amazed I am at the amount of work that went into the level of detail to create a class that can be played by noobs and rockstars alike. There are 'button-pushers' and people who follow skill rotations to the Nth degree to achieve every ability point out of the character they possibly can.

I don't know how long it takes to fully develop a new profession, but I understand why there are so many nerfs and buffs as the game progresses; it's rolled out as an imperfect class and must be tweeked as the people play the game. I am upset when my favorite classes are nerfed to the kiddie pool, but it's out of my hands.

While I can't wait for Expansion 3 to come out, I'm more interested in the number of man-hours spent on a 'game' to make us happy.

well, from the start they kinda experimented with it, failed hard on certain parts and had to overhaul the profession.

the engineer for one was supposed to be the spiritual successor of the ritualist but they failed at it, making it a weak and undesired profession that has allot of issues even today.

the guardian however was way to powerful and even today it's hard to die when you self heal with every hit, kinda screwing up balance.

i personally hope that they improve professions with the new expansion, they really need to sort things out for core and balance them so all professions can handle each other with their own strengths and weaknesses.