Can you please fix the GW2 instruments still broken since Nov. 26 2018?

It has been 1 year, 4 months, and 4 weeks since the GW2 instruments broke, and we, the musician community, ask that you please fix the instruments we paid for, Anet.

Notes not playing on the octave they are supposed to is still an issue, and music we used to be able to play is no longer playable whether using a script or not using a script, or even when using a Midi keyboard that allows for chords to be played across all octaves at the same time without having to keep pressing the Change Octave buttons.

Playing the instruments was such an enjoyable pastime in the major Cities when we wanted to chill and take a break from PvE, or play while waiting for matches in PvP, and that was all taken away from us (musicians, music tabbers, and listeners alike) when an update broke the instruments back in Nov. 26, 2018.

Please consider backtracking on the faulty patch note(s) released around the end of 2018 to figure out what broke the instruments.

Thank you for your time.

They have had problems for a while now with music instruments. To their credit there have been some minor ninja tweaks here and there. But there still some oddities that occur while playing. Things are starting to sound closer to normal but its not quiet dead to rights yet.

Here are two older topics on the subject:

[Musical Instrument Issues Since Nov. 26 Patch Merged](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/61706/musical-instrument-issues-since-nov-26-patch-merged/p1)

[issue with musical instruments since 26th nov 2018.](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1014531)

I do have hopes that someday this will be back to "normal" because I crafted my [Minstrel](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Minstrel) about a week before things went wonky. FML!

> @"Excursion.9752" said:

> They have had problems for a while now with music instruments. To their credit there have been some minor ninja tweaks here and there. But there still some oddities that occur while playing. Things are starting to sound closer to normal but its not quiet dead to rights yet.

>

> Here are two older topics on the subject:

> [Musical Instrument Issues Since Nov. 26 Patch Merged](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/61706/musical-instrument-issues-since-nov-26-patch-merged/p1)

> [issue with musical instruments since 26th nov 2018.](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1014531)

>

> I do have hopes that someday this will be back to "normal" because I crafted my [Minstrel](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Minstrel) about a week before things went wonky. FML!

>

I really wish one of the developers working on the instruments bug would tell us what update and what part of that update in 2018 broke the instruments, because the developers have tried to fix the instruments a couple times with a couple tweaks, so they do have that information. Another thing that we would like to know is why a fix for the instruments in the game's code tied to the instruments has been hard to do.

Further, why didn't the game get rolled back to a previous working state when the instruments were actually working, and then compare the old game code with what happened in the new game code as a result of the 2018 update.

> @"Eidolonemesis.5640" said:

> > @"Excursion.9752" said:

> > They have had problems for a while now with music instruments. To their credit there have been some minor ninja tweaks here and there. But there still some oddities that occur while playing. Things are starting to sound closer to normal but its not quiet dead to rights yet.

> >

> > Here are two older topics on the subject:

> > [Musical Instrument Issues Since Nov. 26 Patch Merged](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/61706/musical-instrument-issues-since-nov-26-patch-merged/p1)

> > [issue with musical instruments since 26th nov 2018.](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1014531)

> >

> > I do have hopes that someday this will be back to "normal" because I crafted my [Minstrel](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Minstrel) about a week before things went wonky. FML!

> >

>

> I really wish one of the developers working on the instruments bug would tell us what update and what part of that update in 2018 broke the instruments, because the developers have tried to fix the instruments a couple times with a couple tweaks, so they do have that information. Another thing that we would like to know is why a fix for the instruments in the game's code tied to the instruments has been hard to do.

>

> Further, why didn't the game get rolled back to a previous working state when the instruments were actually working, and then compare the old game code with what happened in the new game code as a result of the 2018 update.

Well a few things, the games code is bloody awful. we know this due to multiple devs having said as such, another thing being they may not be able to replicate it, there are numerous long lasting and far more impacting(to the community at large) that havent gotten fixed since the game was -launched- all this despite thousands of reports and failings, all because they cannot get it to show its ugly head in house.

I also dont think they can roll back the game that far, after the massive negative feedback to the changes in the level 1-15 zones(disabling of events, among other things) they couldnt even bring them back, and some are only half implemented.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> Well a few things, the games code is bloody awful.

I probably laughed harder than I should at this sentence. Its funny because its true.

One thing I can say is that ever since the layoff you have not seen to many issues that they are not willing to attempt to fix. Example dyeable back items. Sure its not retro active but it is a sign of improvement. There were old arguments stating it would be to hard to fix this because it was tied to to many other things and changing it would be to much work for little reward. Not to mention that the community would condone this message and say things like "I would rather them work on X item rather than this anyway". I believe a fix is in the works and I'm sure they are aware of the problem we just have to hang tight for god knows how long until it is done.

The one thing that does put me off a bit is how these are gem store items which most people purchased far before the novelties were released and we got a free one a bit ago. I do feel this should move it a little closer to the top of the pile. Not lost on the desk waiting for someone to find and say "hey we forgot about this... "

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> I also dont think they can roll back the game that far, after the massive negative feedback to the changes in the level 1-15 zones(disabling of events, among other things) they couldnt even bring them back, and some are only half implemented.

I was not suggesting Anet's developers roll the game back 'now' to see what went wrong; my question in my other post was more about asking why the developers did not roll the game 'back then'.

> @"Excursion.9752" said:

> The one thing that does put me off a bit is how these are gem store items which most people purchased far before the novelties were released and we got a free one a bit ago. I do feel this should move it a little closer to the top of the pile. Not lost on the desk waiting for someone to find and say "hey we forgot about this... "

I agree! I do not want this issue being forgotten, either. Hopefully, a fix is still in the works, as you say and seem to be confident about.

• 5 months later...

I didn't know this was an issue. That's kinda of important to note to your paying customers that there's something wrong with a product they're about to pay real world money / real world time farming gold to buy gems to buy those instruments, especially since they were just / are being promoted on a sale pretty heavily in the cash shop. :/

Look, the point where they stop working requires you to either use macros or be a pretty damn quick irl pianist.

For most people playing them, they should never run into that bug if they dont attempt to change octave and press 3 keys at the same time.

You can also work around this bug by doing arpeggios instead of smashing everything at the same time.