20 Dollars For Mount Skins?!?!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @ROMANG.1903 said:

> > @Karmapolice.4193 said:

> > I am actually very happy with the price. If this was Elder Scrolls Online, the skins would be $40 each and only on sale for 24 hours. Twenty bucks for what would be considered 5 new mounts in other games is a fantastic price.

>

> Stop comparing to others games. I'm comparing to what Anet used us to. To what I liked in GW2 since I started the game.

Actually other games are exactly what we should be comparing them too, because games like this need to be funded. Either the funding model is better than other games or not. Since no one here is sitting in Anet's bookkeeping office, no one knows what percentage of the sales are pure profit and what is needed to keep the doors open.

Saying it doesn't matter what other companies are doing is a bit rich, considering that's all we ever really have to go by. Compared to most companies, this just isn't that big a deal. It's better than most. Some companies charge you $15 a month just to play the game.

I'm pretty sure most of the mounts have the skeletons/models of other ingame creatures. Jackal might have Fern hound or any basic wolf-like creature, and raptor has bonebreaker/stonehead. Granted, I dunno very well how this works, but couldn't they just put the outer graphics of these into the animated skeletons of the mounts? I mean, Stonehead/Bonebreaker would've been perfect for raptor mount, and I can see Teragriff and Gryphon being compatible.

Raptor reskin could be: Stonehead, Bonebreaker, Rolling devil, maybe even Moas, mounts from mordrem guards, etc.

Gryphon: Teragriff, juvenile drakes from HoT, Awakened abom, etc.

Jackal: Sylvan hounds, regular wolves (Dire wolf mount would be AMAZING), mordrem wolves.

Skimmer: Wind rider (this one is pretty unique), probably even toys like broom and carpet.

Springer: No idea.

These are just the first mount skins released since PoF launch, so I'm hoping next ones are fat better than simply giving us 3 more dye channels.

> @"Knuckle Joe.7408" said:

> I'm pretty sure most of the mounts have the skeletons/models of other ingame creatures. Jackal might have Fern hound or any basic wolf-like creature, and raptor has bonebreaker/stonehead. Granted, I dunno very well how this works, but couldn't they just put the outer graphics of these into the animated skeletons of the mounts? I mean, Stonehead/Bonebreaker would've been perfect for raptor mount, and I can see Teragriff and Gryphon being compatible.

>

> Raptor reskin could be: Stonehead, Bonebreaker, Rolling devil, maybe even Moas, mounts from mordrem guards, etc.

> Gryphon: Teragriff, juvenile drakes from HoT, Awakened abom, etc.

> Jackal: Sylvan hounds, regular wolves (Dire wolf mount would be AMAZING), mordrem wolves.

> Skimmer: Wind rider (this one is pretty unique), probably even toys like broom and carpet.

> Springer: No idea.

>

> These are just the first mount skins released since PoF launch, so I'm hoping next ones are fat better than simply giving us 3 more dye channels.

This is exactly the sort of thing I am hoping for going forward. These mount skins are just fun Halloween themed alternatives for our current mounts. What excites me even more is that this shows that they have opened the door for mount skins. I expect that in the future we will see very interesting mount skins that completely change the appearance of the mount we are on.

I just checked out gliders. The basic glider you get with HOT (anyone still use that) has only one channel. Some gliders have more than one dye channel and we've never seen this discussed about gliders. And you know, core mounts look a hell of a lot better than the first glider we got. Pretty sure very few people use the core glider by percentage.

No, this is optional in the same way glider skins are. You can play the entire game without ever changing your skin. You need gliding. You don't need to be pretty while gliding. Same for mount. They gave us five mounts for almost nothing. In game gold. Mounts that look awesome. They gave us the ability to get some customization on them. Now they're selling skins. It's fine.

> @Vayne.8563 said:

> I just checked out gliders. The basic glider you get with HOT (anyone still use that) has only one channel. Some gliders have more than one dye channel and we've never seen this discussed about gliders. And you know, core mounts look a hell of a lot better than the first glider we got. Pretty sure very few people use the core glider by percentage.

>

> No, this is optional in the same way glider skins are. You can play the entire game without ever changing your skin. You need gliding. You don't need to be pretty while gliding. Same for mount. They gave us five mounts for almost nothing. In game gold. Mounts that look awesome. They gave us the ability to get some customization on them. Now they're selling skins. It's fine.

I just feel they're missing a beat. We got 5 great looking mounts with just one dye channel, and now 5 stupidly gimmicky mounts with 4 channels. Where's the golden middle?

> @Vayne.8563 said:

> I just checked out gliders. The basic glider you get with HOT (anyone still use that) has only one channel.

I used it on all my characters until they changed the Magic Carpet (which I already had) to work as a glider. I still use the basic glider on most of them. I never even thought to look if it was dyable so it's still that base fawn color.

In five years, across three accounts, I have bought maybe half a dozen cosmetic items from the Gem Store, all very cheap ones and even then mostly when they were on sale. The carpet, the sonic drill thing, a hat... they almost never put anything in the store I want. I barely even use any of the cosmetic stuff that drops in game. I think the best-looking armor is the basic stuff from levels 1-20 really - it's about the only thing that looks like armor or clothes that someone might actually wear.

It's not that I object to buying stuff from an in-game cash shop - I buy things in other MMOs and enjoy them a lot and I buy utility stuff - character slots, invedntory etc here. As far as cosmetics go, though, it's been a total bust. Makes for a very cheap hobby, so I'm not complaining.

> @Vayne.8563 said:

> I just checked out gliders. The basic glider you get with HOT (anyone still use that) has only one channel.

I used it on all my characters until they changed the Magic Carpet (which I already had) to work as a glider. I still use the basic glider on most of them. I never even thought to look if it was dyable so it's still that base fawn color.

In five years, across three accounts, I have bought maybe half a dozen cosmetic items from the Gem Store, all very cheap ones and even then mostly when they were on sale. The carpet, the sonic drill thing, a hat... they almost never put anything in the store I want. I barely even use any of the cosmetic stuff that drops in game. I think the best-looking armor is the basic stuff from levels 1-20 really - it's about the only thing that looks like armor or clothes that someone might actually wear.

It's not that I object to buying stuff from an in-game cash shop - I buy things in other MMOs and enjoy them a lot and I buy utility stuff - character slots, invedntory etc here. As far as cosmetics go, though, it's been a total bust. Makes for a very cheap hobby, so I'm not complaining.

> @"Tiny Doom.4380" said:

> > @Vayne.8563 said:

> > I just checked out gliders. The basic glider you get with HOT (anyone still use that) has only one channel.

>

> I used it on all my characters until they changed the Magic Carpet (which I already had) to work as a glider. I still use the basic glider on most of them. I never even thought to look if it was dyable so it's still that base fawn color.

>

> In five years, across three accounts, I have bought maybe half a dozen cosmetic items from the Gem Store, all very cheap ones and even then mostly when they were on sale. The carpet, the sonic drill thing, a hat... they almost never put anything in the store I want. I barely even use any of the cosmetic stuff that drops in game. I think the best-looking armor is the basic stuff from levels 1-20 really - it's about the only thing that looks like armor or clothes that someone might actually wear.

>

> It's not that I object to buying stuff from an in-game cash shop - I buy things in other MMOs and enjoy them a lot and I buy utility stuff - character slots, invedntory etc here. As far as cosmetics go, though, it's been a total bust. Makes for a very cheap hobby, so I'm not complaining.

>

>

Well people are arguing this is a cosmetic game, so if that's not your bag, this isn't directed at you since you're not the one complaining.

> @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> > @Vayne.8563 said:

> > I just checked out gliders. The basic glider you get with HOT (anyone still use that) has only one channel. Some gliders have more than one dye channel and we've never seen this discussed about gliders. And you know, core mounts look a hell of a lot better than the first glider we got. Pretty sure very few people use the core glider by percentage.

> >

> > No, this is optional in the same way glider skins are. You can play the entire game without ever changing your skin. You need gliding. You don't need to be pretty while gliding. Same for mount. They gave us five mounts for almost nothing. In game gold. Mounts that look awesome. They gave us the ability to get some customization on them. Now they're selling skins. It's fine.

>

> I just feel they're missing a beat. We got 5 great looking mounts with just one dye channel, and now 5 stupidly gimmicky mounts with 4 channels. Where's the golden middle?

So wait for the next pack and get more dye channels there, and don't buy this one. They didn't miss a beat. They made halloween mount skins for halloween.

> @Vayne.8563 said:

> > @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> > > @Vayne.8563 said:

> > > I just checked out gliders. The basic glider you get with HOT (anyone still use that) has only one channel. Some gliders have more than one dye channel and we've never seen this discussed about gliders. And you know, core mounts look a hell of a lot better than the first glider we got. Pretty sure very few people use the core glider by percentage.

> > >

> > > No, this is optional in the same way glider skins are. You can play the entire game without ever changing your skin. You need gliding. You don't need to be pretty while gliding. Same for mount. They gave us five mounts for almost nothing. In game gold. Mounts that look awesome. They gave us the ability to get some customization on them. Now they're selling skins. It's fine.

> >

> > I just feel they're missing a beat. We got 5 great looking mounts with just one dye channel, and now 5 stupidly gimmicky mounts with 4 channels. Where's the golden middle?

>

> So wait for the next pack and get more dye channels there, and don't buy this one. They didn't miss a beat. They made halloween mount skins for halloween.

I certainly won't buy it, but the unless they're fast, I won't get the next one either because I feel another extended break coming up. I'd rather have basic stuff sooner than weird stuff I don't want. It might even help keeping me around longer.

GW2 players are so pandered to. So spoiled. Have any of you played BDO? 30$ an outfit for only one class, and they sell like fresh bread. 10$ a pet.

But here you can just trade your gold for gems, if you so desire. Gold that you can easily earn.

God forbid Arena Net made some money so they wouldn't have to shut down even more dev teams.

They aren't required to enjoy the content, I don't see a problem with this. Same reason I don't see a problem with glider skins in the gem store. I do think it would be prudent in the future for ANet to offer individual mount skins instead of just blanket packages (once you account for all 5 skins, I believe that they are cheaper than most gliders on a skin to skin basis), but I have no problem with this.

> @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > @Ayakaru.6583 said:

> > How does one even generate 460g?

> > That seems like a 3-4 month process of active grinding

>

> Won't fractal dailies give you around 20/25g per day?

Maybe half of that. Or a rare drop off you're lucky.

The only thing of value are the matrices and boxes. Can rake up to 10-15g if you're very lucky