Account & Character Rollback Issue (5/11/2020) - ANet Response

> @"Rhogog.6509" said:

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > No warning was issued when the original rollback occurred this morning.

> >

> It was an automatic rollback not a manual one.

The point is I believe that progress made since that roll back this morning is no more valuable than the progress people made over the weekend. Losing a few hours today is preferable to losing the entire weekend.

However, neither is good and both will annoy people.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Blude.6812" said:

> > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > @"Thormano.7806" said:

> > > > Basically there should be mirror servers and back-ups so restore is possible (if not, then kitten are you doing). Yes , a major glitch happened, yes, if they had the back-up in place there should not be a problem (though an inconvenience for a little while), but they have to see what triggered the event, crash, whatever you describe it. BUT take the game offline until it is sorted!

> > >

> > > Do you have any idea of the cost for mirroring servers?

> >

> > Who cares, they should be prepared for situations like this.

> >

>

> Who cares? That's rich. I would imagine that they are as prepared for something like this as much as they are financially able to be while still making target profit numbers for their investors. What is essentially being advocated here by mirroring is having double the servers with real-time data transactions between the two sets. That is not cheap.

So I suppose if your bank went offline with no backup you wouldn't mind? This might be a game to you, maybe mega funds and can afford a setback, but to a lot of people here it is a serious issue. Why play if you will lose progress? This is one of the things that make it enjoyable. Getting to the next level, finding that elusive armor no-one else has. Many of us had a weekend wiped out. OK it can be redone. But the principle remains. Over to you :)

Precisely, but from a player point of view the moment they knew, they should address in game mail to everyone. The moment that didn t happen, then rolling back shouldn t either. Just address people that worked with gems and that's enough. Its their fault that an in game warning wasn t issued. Or find a way to compensate everyone equally. Choosing some over others isn t working when the second ones could have been prevented.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> Alternative Timeline :)

>

> Guess that’s what’s happening if you nerf chronomancer to much, they strike back :)

Clear sign that they haven't been nerfed enough.

Seriously though, Anet, how many years will it take for you to learn to communicate?

Why did it take 6h+ for the servers to be shut down after a 3 day rollback? Hours that most likely will have to be rolled back yet again on unsuspecting players playing since to fix the initial rollback and all the TP exploits etc. following it.

What caused all this in the first place? What steps are being taken to prevent a repeat of the issue?

Is there still any community management team at all?

What is the planned response for things that can't be restored? Are any compensations planned?

Any ETA's?

> @"Thormano.7806" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > @"Blude.6812" said:

> > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > @"Thormano.7806" said:

> > > > > Basically there should be mirror servers and back-ups so restore is possible (if not, then kitten are you doing). Yes , a major glitch happened, yes, if they had the back-up in place there should not be a problem (though an inconvenience for a little while), but they have to see what triggered the event, crash, whatever you describe it. BUT take the game offline until it is sorted!

> > > >

> > > > Do you have any idea of the cost for mirroring servers?

> > >

> > > Who cares, they should be prepared for situations like this.

> > >

> >

> > Who cares? That's rich. I would imagine that they are as prepared for something like this as much as they are financially able to be while still making target profit numbers for their investors. What is essentially being advocated here by mirroring is having double the servers with real-time data transactions between the two sets. That is not cheap.

>

> So I suppose if your bank went offline with no backup you wouldn't mind? This might be a game to you, maybe mega funds and can afford a setback, but to a lot of people here it is a serious issue. Why play if you will lose progress? This is one of the things that make it enjoyable. Getting to the next level, finding that elusive armor no-one else has. Many of us had a weekend wiped out. OK it can be redone. But the principle remains. Over to you :)

You're seriously comparing GW2 to a bank?

I'm not saying that this wasn't a serious problem or that people weren't harshly affected by it. I'm saying that the cost to implement a true, mirrored system would put ANet out of business with their current model. They simply cannot afford it.

>Why play if you will lose progress? This is one of the things that make it enjoyable. Getting to the next level, finding that elusive armor no-one else has. Many of us had a weekend wiped out. OK it can be redone. But the principle remains. Over to you :)

Also, I think that everyone is blowing this more out of proportion than it needs to be (hmmm... much like a certain, recent pandemic). The ONE time this happens, everyone goes bat-kitten about it. Again, yes, it is a serious problem and needs correction as quickly as is possible to mitigate the damage. But c'mon people. How many players have lost progress in GW2 in 8+ years for a severe issue like this prior to this event?

I really dont understand this stupid move that they are keeping game online. Because this way, in the end, they will have many people being angry for sure. If they decide not to roll back, people who played over the weekend will be angry that they lost progress and when they decide to roll back, people who are playing right now will be angry that they lost progress too. Very stupid move imo. In any case if they decide just keep going im done with this game for good. I spent whole weekend getting grifon and when i got it this happened. And the feeling that i was doing all that for nothing and i will have to do it all over again is pretty terrible.

> @"Akari Kage.1403" said:

> Precisely, but from a player point of view the moment they knew, they should address in game mail to everyone. The moment that didn t happen, then rolling back shouldn t either. Just address people that worked with gems and that's enough. Its their fault that an in game warning wasn t issued. Or find a way to compensate everyone equally. Choosing some over others isn t working when the second ones could have been prevented.

Listen, I know you're upset that you might lose the progress you have made for a few hours today. You've been abundantly clear about this. But come on, quit the campaign to not lose your 3 hours of gameplay, compared to people's 3 days. It's only making you look like a selfish child, on *all* the threads you're on this crusade. You are literally the only one, just try and be a little reasonable here.

There were 3 options on Anet:

The 1st correct action would be warn everyone - solve problem - rollback

If there is no warning then the only the correct action is no rollback.

No warning and rollback means the worst possible outcome for Anet image and trust.

It just a matter of choosing between a bad solution (no warning no rollback) and the worst (no warning and rollback) since they discarded the best solution!

Also I don t mind being the only one, saying pointing the obvious. Its about Anet choosing the bad or the worst solution after not choosing the best.

> @"Constantine.7812" said:

> I really dont understand this stupid move that they are keeping game online. Because this way, in the end, they will have many people being angry for sure. If they decide not to roll back, people who played over the weekend will be angry that they lost progress and when they decide to roll back, people who are playing right now will be angry that they lost progress too. Very stupid move imo. In any case if they decide just keep going im done with this game for good. I spent whole weekend getting grifon and when i got it this happened. And the feeling that i was doing all that for nothing and i will have to do it all over again is pretty terrible.

Are you EU or NA? We don't know if any NA progress has been affected or not (do we?). We don't know how the game is structured -- perhaps allowing NA to continue is not affecting the EU server issue? Shutting everything down, when it doesn't necessarily have to, may not be the best, financial decision. Yes, I'm speculating much like everyone else is, but that's my point: no one knows how it all works.

> There were 3 options on Anet:

>

> The 1st correct action would be warn everyone - solve problem - rollback

> If there is no warning then the only the correct action is no rollback.

> No warning and rollback means the worst possible outcome for Anet image and trust.

>

> It just a matter of choosing between a bad solution (no warning no rollback) and the worst (no warning and rollback) since they discarded the best solution!

Forum and in game chat is full of warning, this is only your fail that you do not respect the warning.

> There were 3 options on Anet:

>

> The 1st correct action would be warn everyone - solve problem - rollback

> If there is no warning then the only the correct action is no rollback.

> No warning and rollback means the worst possible outcome for Anet image and trust.

>

> It just a matter of choosing between a bad solution (no warning no rollback) and the worst (no warning and rollback) since they discarded the best solution!

Considering the TP has been both eating and duplicating items since the the initial rollback it's almost inconceivable that they will not have to roll back to the point the failure happened today.

Should they have starting communicating asap after the server failure/shut down the servers over 6 hours ago? Absolutely.

But a rollback to that time while restoring as much as possible of the initial rollback is still by far the best option currently.

> @"Noxious.9846" said:

> > @"Lurana.7506" said:

> > > @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > >

> > > Realistically we should just wait a few hours for Anet to make a statement on what happened/what is going to happen now.

> >

> > True.

> > So just relax people. This is not the end of the world.

>

> Or if they value their players just make the statement, you know rip off the band aid. These guys want to stay in business. Players keep them there. Time to step up to the plate or jump in the fire.

Oh yeah, let them just make a statement when it was 3am at the time it happened for them... I'm sure they're all awake and at their desks then. <:^)

> @"Luthan.5236" said:

> For me there are 2 days lost for sure. I should have been able to get to 53 Crimson Assasin's tokens: 29 from the 4 weeks event (last day will count as well tomorrow) + 24 from the chest for 8 dailies. I have been at 49 now. Should have been 51 (+ the one from today and +1 from tomorrow 53 then). I lost Saturday and Sunday. I'm not sure when I did my SAB run and dailies at Saturday. Might have been afternoon or at evening only. (Usually I try afternoon but doesn't always work when I have other stuff to do as well.)

>

> PvP progress history is still saved (match history and rating) - as others mentioned already.

i lost ~40% of my rank bar,

> Hopefully all this day progression isn't lost. If no server lock nor in game notice happened, rollback shouldn't happen either. We can only hope Anet chooses the correct course.

it will take more time, unless there is something in this IoT, Cloud and other post millenial technologies that can restore accounts, thus removing the rollback, and add the progress that you made to the restored accounts quickly.