[FIXED] [EU] servers up. Some players are experiencing a "Network Error". Fix in the OC.

> @"Nicodemus.4593" said:

> Alas, no estimate as to when we addicts can all get our next fix. Until then I guess everyone'll either go to bed hungry or lurk around the forums hoping to feel like they're getting a few hits to take the edge off.

>

> But we can quit anytime we want to...really...really we can...

+1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Vegeta.2563" said:

> > @"joelfc.1927" said:

> > 0231 and no update... im guessing no gw2 tomorrow its 1831 at ANET now so they may be home now.

>

> implying they were even in the office at all.. pretty sure they have been work from home for the past month and a half.

Depends, if a server went completely dead, hard to replace that from home. If some hardware adjustment were needed or a back up tape needed to get changed, hard to do that from home. Because everything is like in the cloud nowadays, doesn't mean you can do just anything from a console at home. ;)

> @"simmeh.2698" said:

> > @"Vegeta.2563" said:

> > > @"joelfc.1927" said:

> > > 0231 and no update... im guessing no gw2 tomorrow its 1831 at ANET now so they may be home now.

> >

> > implying they were even in the office at all.. pretty sure they have been work from home for the past month and a half.

>

> Depends, if a server went completely dead, hard to replace that from home. If some hardware adjustment were needed or a back up tape needed to get changed, hard to do that from home. Because everything is like in the cloud nowadays, doesn't mean you can do just anything from a console at home. ;)

I suppose all their server are virtual machines, so could be done remotely. Maybe the time is needed to check consistency and identify what caused the rollback

> @"alarik.4850" said:

> > @"simmeh.2698" said:

> > > @"Vegeta.2563" said:

> > > > @"joelfc.1927" said:

> > > > 0231 and no update... im guessing no gw2 tomorrow its 1831 at ANET now so they may be home now.

> > >

> > > implying they were even in the office at all.. pretty sure they have been work from home for the past month and a half.

> >

> > Depends, if a server went completely dead, hard to replace that from home. If some hardware adjustment were needed or a back up tape needed to get changed, hard to do that from home. Because everything is like in the cloud nowadays, doesn't mean you can do just anything from a console at home. ;)

>

> I suppose all their server are virtual machines, so could be done remotely. Maybe the time is needed to check consistency and identify what caused the rollback

>

Virtual machines still run on actual hardware somewhere :) Especially when you need to store nearly a decade's worth of game data for an MMO as large as this one

> @"Stormwolf.8567" said:

> > @"alarik.4850" said:

> > > @"simmeh.2698" said:

> > > > @"Vegeta.2563" said:

> > > > > @"joelfc.1927" said:

> > > > > 0231 and no update... im guessing no gw2 tomorrow its 1831 at ANET now so they may be home now.

> > > >

> > > > implying they were even in the office at all.. pretty sure they have been work from home for the past month and a half.

> > >

> > > Depends, if a server went completely dead, hard to replace that from home. If some hardware adjustment were needed or a back up tape needed to get changed, hard to do that from home. Because everything is like in the cloud nowadays, doesn't mean you can do just anything from a console at home. ;)

> >

> > I suppose all their server are virtual machines, so could be done remotely. Maybe the time is needed to check consistency and identify what caused the rollback

> >

>

> Virtual machines still run on actual hardware somewhere :) Especially when you need to store nearly a decade's worth of game data for an MMO as large as this one

but they can be move easily to another host :) at least I hope they have HA enabled :)

> > @"alarik.4850" said:

> > > @"simmeh.2698" said:

> > > > @"Vegeta.2563" said:

> > > > > @"joelfc.1927" said:

> > > > > 0231 and no update... im guessing no gw2 tomorrow its 1831 at ANET now so they may be home now.

> > > >

> > > > implying they were even in the office at all.. pretty sure they have been work from home for the past month and a half.

> > >

> > > Depends, if a server went completely dead, hard to replace that from home. If some hardware adjustment were needed or a back up tape needed to get changed, hard to do that from home. Because everything is like in the cloud nowadays, doesn't mean you can do just anything from a console at home. ;)

> >

> > I suppose all their server are virtual machines, so could be done remotely. Maybe the time is needed to check consistency and identify what caused the rollback

> >

>

> Virtual machines still run on actual hardware somewhere :) Especially when you need to store nearly a decade's worth of game data for an MMO as large as this one

But this is Amazon AWS job to keep the real machines running, not ANets

>

Whilst true, the point is that a VM can run on any hardware that's capable of supporting it. I don't know what Anet's arrangements are vis data centres, but if there's been a hardware failure (and I'm dubious that that's the explanation here), then it isn't that big a deal to move the VM to another piece of hardware (presuming there's spare kit in the datacentre they're using!).

As I've already said elsewhere, I just hope they give us some sort of proper explanation of what went wrong, and not simply a vague "Yeah, we know what happened, fixed it, and we've taken steps to stop it from happening again".

> @"alarik.4850" said:

> > @"Stormwolf.8567" said:

> > > @"alarik.4850" said:

> > > > @"simmeh.2698" said:

> > > > > @"Vegeta.2563" said:

> > > > > > @"joelfc.1927" said:

> > > > > > 0231 and no update... im guessing no gw2 tomorrow its 1831 at ANET now so they may be home now.

> > > > >

> > > > > implying they were even in the office at all.. pretty sure they have been work from home for the past month and a half.

> > > >

> > > > Depends, if a server went completely dead, hard to replace that from home. If some hardware adjustment were needed or a back up tape needed to get changed, hard to do that from home. Because everything is like in the cloud nowadays, doesn't mean you can do just anything from a console at home. ;)

> > >

> > > I suppose all their server are virtual machines, so could be done remotely. Maybe the time is needed to check consistency and identify what caused the rollback

> > >

> >

> > Virtual machines still run on actual hardware somewhere :) Especially when you need to store nearly a decade's worth of game data for an MMO as large as this one

>

> but they can be move easily to another host :) at least I hope they have HA enabled :)

Those are just assumptions, maybe there is an entire node down, maybe there is not enough ram available to run more hosts, in these situations you want someone in the datacentre locally anyway. All modern 24/7 data centres have a 24/7 local team exactly for these things. The dev team that are not needed inside the datacentre can work from home true, but is is not just about one code fixing some guide and everything is ready to go. This is a large team effort going on.

We have to wait on answers from Arenanet, now its just pure speculation.

> @"simmeh.2698" said:

> > @"alarik.4850" said:

> > > @"Stormwolf.8567" said:

> > > > @"alarik.4850" said:

> > > > > @"simmeh.2698" said:

> > > > > > @"Vegeta.2563" said:

> > > > > > > @"joelfc.1927" said:

> > > > > > > 0231 and no update... im guessing no gw2 tomorrow its 1831 at ANET now so they may be home now.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > implying they were even in the office at all.. pretty sure they have been work from home for the past month and a half.

> > > > >

> > > > > Depends, if a server went completely dead, hard to replace that from home. If some hardware adjustment were needed or a back up tape needed to get changed, hard to do that from home. Because everything is like in the cloud nowadays, doesn't mean you can do just anything from a console at home. ;)

> > > >

> > > > I suppose all their server are virtual machines, so could be done remotely. Maybe the time is needed to check consistency and identify what caused the rollback

> > > >

> > >

> > > Virtual machines still run on actual hardware somewhere :) Especially when you need to store nearly a decade's worth of game data for an MMO as large as this one

> >

> > but they can be move easily to another host :) at least I hope they have HA enabled :)

>

> Those are just assumptions, maybe there is an entire node down, maybe there is not enough ram available to run more hosts, in these situations you want someone in the datacentre locally anyway. All modern 24/7 data centres have a 24/7 local team exactly for these things. The dev team that are not needed inside the datacentre can work from home true, but is is not just about one code fixing some guide and everything is ready to go. This is a large team effort going on.

>

> We have to wait on answers from Arenanet, now its just pure speculation.

sure it is, we can only speculate. Being the disaster recovery administrator in my workplace I'm just making hypothesis on what could be happend and what it can be done to solve it (sort of work habit) but you're right we can only wait and see.

> @"Raedwulf.3712" said:

> > @"Stormwolf.8567" said:

> >

> > Virtual machines still run on actual hardware somewhere :) Especially when you need to store nearly a decade's worth of game data for an MMO as large as this one

>

> Whilst true, the point is that a VM can run on any hardware that's capable of supporting it. I don't know what Anet's arrangements are vis data centres, but if there's been a hardware failure (and I'm dubious that that's the explanation here), then it isn't that big a deal to move the VM to another piece of hardware (presuming there's spare kit in the datacentre they're using!).

>

> As I've already said elsewhere, I just hope they give us some sort of proper explanation of what went wrong, and not simply a vague "Yeah, we know what happened, fixed it, and we've taken steps to stop it from happening again".

Yes I know - sorry - I was being a little flippant and overly brief … it's just that some people assume a VM works like magic :-D. I am also dubious that it's something as simple as a hardware failure - there are usually many levels of redundancy and consistency checks that will alert admins to there being a problem long before the system falls over in a virtual smoking heap. If we're lucky Anet will tell us what happened once they're done putting the jigsaw back together

You know what they're doing... everyone at Anet HQ have been called in, they're multiboxing about 200K players each and replaying everything that happened since Friday so that we all get back to where we were when this rollback happened yesterday :grin:

In all seriousness though, I hope that if they're going through some thorough testing of activities in EU to check that everything is in place, that they actually can look into suspicious activity and get rid of some cheaters in the process... hackers and players reporting for suspicious behaviour, etc.

> @"Dondarrion.2748" said:

> You know what they're doing... everyone at Anet HQ have been called in, they're multiboxing about 200K players each and replaying everything that happened since Friday so that we all get back to where we were when this rollback happened yesterday :grin:

>

> In all seriousness though, I hope that if they're going through some thorough testing of activities in EU to check that everything is in place, that they actually can look into suspicious activity and get rid of some cheaters in the process... hackers and players reporting for suspicious behaviour, etc.

You sir gave me a good laugh. :3

> @"Dondarrion.2748" said:

> You know what they're doing... everyone at Anet HQ have been called in, they're multiboxing about 200K players each and replaying everything that happened since Friday so that we all get back to where we were when this rollback happened yesterday :grin:

>

> In all seriousness though, I hope that if they're going through some thorough testing of activities in EU to check that everything is in place, that they actually can look into suspicious activity and get rid of some cheaters in the process... hackers and players reporting for suspicious behaviour, etc.

:3

> @"Chichimec.9364" said:

> > @"codedbykush.2019" said:

> > > We will bring the #GuildWars2 EU servers down for maintenance in 10 minutes.

> >

> > Twitter/GuildWars2

>

> Thanks for the update. Not all of us are on Twitter and I was wondering why I suddenly couldn't access the game any more. Coming after the rollback it was frustrating but I suppose it's best that they go ahead and get the issues resolved.

You don't need to be on Twitter to read their messages. I don't have a Twitter account either, but when things go as bad as this, that's the first place I'll go to check what's going on.

Maybe a stupid question but if the information stream is so slow/non-existing comming from ANet, how are we suppose to know when the servers are back online again? I think i've read most of the forums and checked the website/support, but should I keep checking all possible posts like every 15min? Last post from ANet has been quite some time ago with the servers going down for maintenance (6.42AM). No hating, just wishing to be able to play.

> @"Sorinthas.4791" said:

> Maybe a stupid question but if the information stream is so slow/non-existing comming from ANet, how are we suppose to know when the servers are back online again? I think i've read most of the forums and checked the website/support, but should I keep checking all possible posts like every 15min? Last post from ANet has been quite some time ago with the servers going down for maintenance (6.42AM). No hating, just wishing to be able to play.

The last information was that they have entered the testing stage.

In any case, you will know once they announce it on here and on Twitter.