What I would do if I had wintraded myself a title

> @"rng.1024" said:

> All wintrading does is give you an edge against those that are **better than you**, which is why wintrading only is effective in really high elo. Since this applies to 0,01% of the population, it also means that 99,99% of the population wouldn't place higher even if there was no wintrading whatsoever.

I don't even play ranked, who cares about my rating? Wintraders push actual good players back with match manipulation.

> @"Tayga.3192" said:

> > @"rng.1024" said:

> > All wintrading does is give you an edge against those that are **better than you**, which is why wintrading only is effective in really high elo. Since this applies to 0,01% of the population, it also means that 99,99% of the population wouldn't place higher even if there was no wintrading whatsoever.

>

> I don't even play ranked, who cares about my rating? Wintraders push actual good players back with match manipulation.

How? Wintraders avoid good players like the plague, and good players play during prime time where they lose less rating and gain more. If you are remotely good you will almost never encouter a wintrader, meaning it will only hold you back from a ranked leaderboard spot with it's rewards - nothing else.

> @"Tayga.3192" said:

> > @"rng.1024" said:

> > it will only hold you back from a ranked leaderboard spot with it's rewards - nothing else.

>

> That's big enough lmao wdym "only"

It doesn't affect you at all if you don't play ranked? Nobody is pushing you anywhere.

You need to end last season high **and** get lucky with placement games regardless of whether you wintrade or not. This gives you equal chance as anybody else to get whatever leaderboard spot.

No more unfair than clearing a raid with guildies rather than randoms - some need that buffer to even clear it, because they aren't that good at the game. Some play an OP meta build that takes them from gold 1 to plat 2. But no matter what, if you are good you will consistently stay top of the leaderboard no matter what making it harder for those that wintrade to keep their positions.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> Why do it again they already got all the rewards they can from it.

For in or out of game currency and to boost their buddies that didn't.

Here's a thread that contains comments from someone bragging about it and the subsequent lack of punishment: [https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/36623/congratz-r55-congratz-team-usa-but-special-remark-to-mr-helio-for-the-fair-play](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/36623/congratz-r55-congratz-team-usa-but-special-remark-to-mr-helio-for-the-fair-play)

I'm not going to point fingers, but if you keep up with the NA leaderboards; then you'll know right away who i'm talking about.

If not for the money, it could be just to kill the game further. Only they can really know their intention when they keep going.

Maybe they still enjoy the game, but they just enjoy winning more.

> @"rng.1024" said:

> Fair points. It only really affects the top 100 on the leaderboard, so it doesn't make sense that people below has an issue with it. Case in point - who wintrades just to get to plat 1? Nobody.

just to get to plat 1? anyone who want get +1 more pips on win or lose. Make it more hot make +10 difference is bad idea and increase wintrade market share. No we have some soft bonus, and this is ok.

> Funny how all it takes to counter wintrading in this game is for players to queue off-hours.

should we ask anet add bots ?

> @"rng.1024" said:

>

> You need to end last season high **and** get lucky with placement games regardless of whether you wintrade or not. This gives you equal chance as anybody else to get whatever leaderboard spot.

>

> No more unfair than clearing a raid with guildies rather than randoms - some need that buffer to even clear it, because they aren't that good at the game. Some play an OP meta build that takes them from gold 1 to plat 2. But no matter what, if you are good you will consistently stay top of the leaderboard no matter what making it harder for those that wintrade to keep their positions.

I’m sorry but what? There is a lot more that goes into win trading than that. People have paid gold and cash for spots, they have made alt accounts to boost or punish others by throwing matches. They queue sync with buddies to manipulate the outcome of matches. Your buddy queues with you and your duo and if they get on your team they try hard, otherwise if they end up on the other team they throw the match. There is other stuff that goes on too.

None of that is skill or luck... it’s cheating.

I can’t even comprehend how you claim that it is analogous to running raids with a guild? You couldn’t be further from the truth.

You also don’t have to be the best player to see how bad this is for the game mode. GW2 PvP has been struggling for a long time and stuff like the above only serves as another nail in the coffin.

Sure, you might counter with, “Game isn’t dead, people have been saying that for X years!” But you can see the population shrink drastically each season. Players already camp rating and only play a match or two to keep up with decay.

If you enjoy pvp and want it to stay active, you should want more people coming into the game mode not less. And that doesn’t happen when shitty behavior like the above is condoned.

> @"Roquen.5406" said:

> > @"rng.1024" said:

> >

> > You need to end last season high **and** get lucky with placement games regardless of whether you wintrade or not. This gives you equal chance as anybody else to get whatever leaderboard spot.

> >

> > No more unfair than clearing a raid with guildies rather than randoms - some need that buffer to even clear it, because they aren't that good at the game. Some play an OP meta build that takes them from gold 1 to plat 2. But no matter what, if you are good you will consistently stay top of the leaderboard no matter what making it harder for those that wintrade to keep their positions.

>

> I’m sorry but what? There is a lot more that goes into win trading than that. People have paid gold and cash for spots, they have made alt accounts to boost or punish others by throwing matches. They queue sync with buddies to manipulate the outcome of matches. Your buddy queues with you and your duo and if they get on your team they try hard, otherwise if they end up on the other team they throw the match. There is other stuff that goes on too.

>

> None of that is skill or luck... it’s cheating.

>

> I can’t even comprehend how you claim that it is analogous to running raids with a guild? You couldn’t be further from the truth.

>

> You also don’t have to be the best player to see how bad this is for the game mode. GW2 PvP has been struggling for a long time and stuff like the above only serves as another nail in the coffin.

>

> Sure, you might counter with, “Game isn’t dead, people have been saying that for X years!” But you can see the population shrink drastically each season. Players already camp rating and only play a match or two to keep up with decay.

>

> If you enjoy pvp and want it to stay active, you should want more people coming into the game mode not less. And that doesn’t happen when kitten behavior like the above is condoned.

>

>

>

>

>

It doesn't sound like everyone is aware how the mmr works, so I'll briefly explain it:

- In order to be most efficient you need to queue off-hours with a duo. Since the game doesn't have a huge population, high rated players get put with lower rated ones. This automatically means that by queuing off hours (to avoid good players who can still win 4v5) you end up with an mmr way higher than the enemy teams average.

- This in turn means you gain less rating on winning (since you are expected to carry) and lose alot more on aloss (because you were expected to carry).

- The closer your mmr is to the enemy team, the more rating you gain and lose less. This means a good player can gain 10 points on a win and -12 points for a loss during prime time f.ex. The wintrader? 2 points for wins and -20 on a loss. You risk alot more.

My point is people make it up to be alot bigger of a problem than it is regardless of what the developers do about it. Removing them all from the game won't make the rest of us better players, you'll still have your relative ranking **unless** it's about leaderboard spots - which apply to less than 1% of the population. And every season there are players not wintrading that destroy those that do, so it's not like it's impossible.

We all have to deal with wintraders. Nobody is unique, and all can report them. Yet still somehow there are players in higher ratings than us. Which is why thinking wintraders are holding us back from our "true potential" is simply ridiculous.

Most people accused of "wintrading" in this mode are just people who maximize their chances by utilizing a good duo partner and queue late at night for a minimum amount of games **because the system** promotes that. Or they are good enough to get several alts on the leaderboard. The ones who blindly queue at the same time with buddies (easier to land in same game) at off-hours are an absolute minority.

And with them you forget the most important factor:

**It is completely random if the wintrader is on your team or not, meaning it's completely irrelevant to your rating just as much as a ragequitter is.**

> @"rng.1024" said:

>

> It doesn't sound like everyone is aware how the mmr works, so I'll briefly explain it:

> - In order to be most efficient you need to queue off-hours with a duo. Since the game doesn't have a huge population, high rated players get put with lower rated ones. This automatically means that by queuing off hours (to avoid good players who can still win 4v5) you end up with an mmr way higher than the enemy teams average.

> - This in turn means you gain less rating on winning (since you are expected to carry) and lose alot more on aloss (because you were expected to carry).

> - The closer your mmr is to the enemy team, the more rating you gain and lose less. This means a good player can gain 10 points on a win and -12 points for a loss during prime time f.ex. The wintrader? 2 points for wins and -20 on a loss. You risk alot more.

>

Most people are very aware how mmr works. What you just described is what others refer to as meta-gaming. They play the system rather than actually competing in it. It's not illegal but it is pretty lame.

> My point is people make it up to be alot bigger of a problem than it is regardless of what the developers do about it. Removing them all from the game won't make the rest of us better players, you'll still have your relative ranking **unless** it's about leaderboard spots - which apply to less than 1% of the population. And every season there are players not wintrading that destroy those that do, so it's not like it's impossible.

>

Again, it's not about "me" per-say. It's not that I or others mainly think that if we remove the cheaters then we will take their spot. No, instead its about promoting a healthier environment for everyone to play in. What you have now is pretty far from that and the cheating does not help.

> We all have to deal with wintraders. Nobody is unique, and all can report them. Yet still somehow there are players in higher ratings than us. Which is why thinking wintraders are holding us back from our "true potential" is simply ridiculous.

>

As I mentioned above it's not about "true potential", it's about the environment that the developers provide.

> Most people accused of "wintrading" in this mode are just people who maximize their chances by utilizing a good duo partner and queue late at night for a minimum amount of games **because the system** promotes that. Or they are good enough to get several alts on the leaderboard. The ones who blindly queue at the same time with buddies (easier to land in same game) at off-hours are an absolute minority.

>

Again, you are describing meta-gaming. You also side-stepped many of the other things that are blatant cheating. These "good" players are avoiding other "good" players and only looking to farm much lower ranked players than them. How could you consider that any form of competitive? And no it is not more efficient to have to play ten times the amount of matches to rank up. The system doesn't promote it but people do take advantage of it. If Anet punished people for this behavior, you would see less of it.

> And with them you forget the most important factor:

> It is completely random if the wintrader is on your team or not, meaning it's completely irrelevant to your rating just as much as a ragequitter is.

I'm not sure what your point is here? It's random that I get paired with or against a wintrader, so I shouldn't care that they are cheating? Cheating is cheating and it should not be tolerated.

You also inadvertently addressed wintrading with your "explanation" of mmr. The population in general is low. That is why when you are queuing regularly, you often run into the same people. Now these wintraders take this further by queueing off hours, making the population even smaller, making it even easier to manipulate the outcome of the matches.

@"Roquen.5406"

Atleast we managed to separate wintrading (illegal) from metagaming (legal).

So it's just a principal issue for you - how can you then claim it's rampant?

We've all had matches that were thrown for whatever reason, but they have always been in the minority so as far as "healthy competitive environment" this rings true the closer you play to prime time. This is a population issue - not a wintrading one. Even if there was just 1 wintrader in the game you would be exponentially more likely to run into them during off hours.

My point was that wintrading doesn't affect your progress in any way except waste 5 mins + queue time, which I can openly admit is annoying but far from as detrimental as people make it out to be. I would also get it if it applied to 50% of games, but it really doesn't and for the vast majority who plays during prime time it's not an issue at all.

The goal of the game is to manipulate the outcome of matches. The devs can't ban anyone for being immature (afk) or having an isp dc, and there is no way to separate those except ticket investigations. As such, this is just as much a community issue as it is developer leniency, so as long as good players aren't bothered enough by it nothing will be done.

> @"rng.1024" said:

> > @"lare.5129" said:

> > > @"rng.1024" said:

> > > I also believe the final responsibility lies with the developers. Thoughout this game's history it's been shown that if there is a loophole someone will use it. No need to be envious here because someone took a risk when you didn't.

> > And developers make it as ideal responsibility: Top get only titles, most of then not give AP, just zero ap + title. If someone a normal gold/silver player and not use wintrade the most rewards a valid. I remember we sell arena point on wow, because some people can't buy item without special rank. But in gw2 you can cfrat pvp leg set on cupper rank. No one feel very hurt, and very small value see reason support black market to push and get titles. So responsibility is accepted.

> >

> > > This is the same argument as duo q was a few seasons back. Some people wanted "real" competition and opted to not use the tools available to them. Did these people do better while it was disabled in high elo? Not at all, showing that it didn't really matter.

> > This is only "some people". Most of them take this as rule and don't worry. For someone it also can be good point to hype, but I don't think that all worried about this.

> >

> >

>

> Fair points. It only really affects the top 100 on the leaderboard, so it doesn't make sense that people below has an issue with it. Case in point - who wintrades just to get to plat 1? Nobody.

>

> Funny how all it takes to counter wintrading in this game is for players to queue off-hours.

> @"rng.1024" said:

> > @"Tayga.3192" said:

> > > @"rng.1024" said:

> > > All wintrading does is give you an edge against those that are **better than you**, which is why wintrading only is effective in really high elo. Since this applies to 0,01% of the population, it also means that 99,99% of the population wouldn't place higher even if there was no wintrading whatsoever.

> >

> > I don't even play ranked, who cares about my rating? Wintraders push actual good players back with match manipulation.

>

> How? Wintraders avoid good players like the plague, and good players play during prime time where they lose less rating and gain more. If you are remotely good you will almost never encouter a wintrader, meaning it will only hold you back from a ranked leaderboard spot with it's rewards - nothing else.

Wait, let me try to understand your points: Wintrading only affects Top 100, means no one below Top 100 has the right to complain but it also doesn't affect the Top 100 because wintrader avoid good player. Means Top 100 should not cry about it either. Means wintrading literally do not affect anyone in the game. Why a single player even complains, there is no problem with wintrading at all. Rofl, yep logic is strong in this one :joy: Lets go even further and imply that those wintraders only make sure they get to the ranking they deserve anyway and for that should not be blamed for cheating. Lets even give honor for the massive effort they do, to win by anything else than skill xDDD

How ppl can defend or downplay wintrading and cheating is beyond my understanding but why i am even surprised to read such retarded nonsense in a game where those type of wintrader, acc- and titleseller etc. player have influence on balance and mess it up into their own favor because they have some friendships with devs running, who then have barely any knowledge about balance themself. There is no hope for pvp under this circumstaces anyway.

> @"bravan.3876" said:

> How ppl can defend or downplay wintrading and cheating is beyond my understanding but why i am even surprised to read such kitten nonsense in a game where those type of wintrader, acc- and titleseller etc. player have influence on balance and mess it up into their own favor because they have some friendships with devs running, who then have barely any knowledge about balance themself. There is no hope for pvp under this circumstaces anyway.

Probably someone's alt, sounds a lot like that tbh.

> @"rng.1024" said:

> @"Roquen.5406"

>

> Atleast we managed to separate wintrading (illegal) from metagaming (legal).

>

> So it's just a principal issue for you - how can you then claim it's rampant?

>

> We've all had matches that were thrown for whatever reason, but they have always been in the minority so as far as "healthy competitive environment" this rings true the closer you play to prime time. This is a population issue - not a wintrading one. Even if there was just 1 wintrader in the game you would be exponentially more likely to run into them during off hours.

>

> My point was that wintrading doesn't affect your progress in any way except waste 5 mins + queue time, which I can openly admit is annoying but far from as detrimental as people make it out to be. I would also get it if it applied to 50% of games, but it really doesn't and for the vast majority who plays during prime time it's not an issue at all.

>

> The goal of the game is to manipulate the outcome of matches. The devs can't ban anyone for being immature (afk) or having an isp dc, and there is no way to separate those except ticket investigations. As such, this is just as much a community issue as it is developer leniency, so as long as good players aren't bothered enough by it nothing will be done.

Again, it’s not about me or my progress. Cheating should not be condoned even if it’s on a “smaller” scale.

The point you seem to be missing is that cheating is another thing that pushes players away. Fewer players equals less support for a mode that really has not gotten much since its inception.

You can argue that we just got a big balance patch but it didn’t really change much seeing as most of the changes are flat number adjustments, rather than addressing core issues or changing up mechanics.

We’ve mostly had one game mode in PvP for the entirety of GW2. The one mini moba they threw in, they abandoned almost immediately, and TDM was also pulled quickly. So conquest and mostly the same maps for how many years now? More recently you get TDM in 2v2 or 3v3 as an off-season option. But that’s it...

Would you be okay with professional athletes using performance enhancing drugs to compete? It is cheating after all.

If your answer is no, then I’m not sure why you apply the rules differently here, unless you partake in said cheating. Then it would make sense why you defend it.

But if your answer is yes, then I guess cheating is okay for you and there isn’t much else to say.

@"bravan.3876"

So if you don't have wintraders in your matches, therefore not ruining your enjoyment of them - how are they possibly ruining your individual experience?

@"Roquen.5406"

Like I already stated and you pointed out, wintrading affects 1% of the playerbase. If it was 10% I am sure the devs would make more of an effort to take action, but it's no longer an e-sport and they don't host real money prizes. Removing these players would probably quicken the playerbase decline way more than taking action would. It's a game after all, and if players can do as good or better with other methods it's not really that big of an issue - it would be alot worse if it was 100% reliable which it is not since this is a team based game.

As for your professional athlete comparison, if you like cycling you will watch tour de france no matter what. Yes it brings down the quality, and yes it gives a sour taste. But what happens when you ban good athletes because of it? It becomes more bland to watch, the competition dulls and in general it leads to a huge loss of revenue - in any sport for any country. Since Guild Wars 2 is developed by a company with financial interests, I can't really blame them for keeping the mode on life support rather than hammering the last nail in the coffin - which is a very real possibility at this point.

My stance is as long as it's a 50% chance you can win over a cheater, it doesn't matter in the least since he is not more effective cheating than he normally would be. There are plenty of people in TDF who never got 1st place that you have never heard of that simply fly under your radar even though they cheated. It's setting a double standard when you complain about better athletes achieving better results using the same methods is all.

@"rng.1024"

Neither of us know the actual numbers. Only Anet knows that. The playerbase has declined because of neglect, one of those being the lack of policing in their own game. You say policing pvp will help kill their own game mode but it can also do the reverse.

Your next point is where you lose me. You condone cheating because it’s more entertaining. I do not agree with you here but to each their own.

What double standard? I said cheating is bad. I never said it’s okay to cheat if you still end up in last. You are the one that keeps throwing out, winners, number one, high rank people. All I’ve ever referred to is those that cheat.

I think it’s pretty clear now why you defend this behavior, so I’m gonna call it quits. Best of luck to you and thanks for the civil conversation.

> @"Roquen.5406" said:

> @"rng.1024"

>

> Neither of us know the actual numbers. Only Anet knows that. The playerbase has declined because of neglect, one of those being the lack of policing in their own game. You say policing pvp will help kill their own game mode but it can also do the reverse.

>

> Your next point is where you lose me. You condone cheating because it’s more entertaining. I do not agree with you here but to each their own.

>

> What double standard? I said cheating is bad. I never said it’s okay to cheat if you still end up in last. You are the one that keeps throwing out, winners, number one, high rank people. All I’ve ever referred to is those that cheat.

>

> I think it’s pretty clear now why you defend this behavior, so I’m gonna call it quits. Best of luck to you and thanks for the civil conversation.

It's not like you are wrong in the least and all your points are valid.

All I wanted to point out is the fact that only the developers can do something about this, and how putting the blame on other players makes no sense (since that's what this thread is about) unless it's because of envy.

Drawing on forum statistics, personal experience and simple logic it's not hard to estimate the scope of wintrading. Furthermore the player in question competed during the e-sports era, have put way more hours in game than most of us and continously manage to place high in AT's without wintrade. Yes they made a mistake, and yes they are at the mercy of anet. Most people have never been affected by this persons presence in the game at all.

All I'm saying is aim that frustration towards anet instead of individual players, because it's this close-minded behaviour that gives them the leeway to have it on the afterburner in the first place. I wouldn't mind having no wintrading in this mode, but I also know nothing would change except longer average queue times. But hey with an expansion coming it's cause to get our hopes up :)

> @"rng.1024" said:

> > @"Roquen.5406" said:

> > @"rng.1024"

> >

> > Neither of us know the actual numbers. Only Anet knows that. The playerbase has declined because of neglect, one of those being the lack of policing in their own game. You say policing pvp will help kill their own game mode but it can also do the reverse.

> >

> > Your next point is where you lose me. You condone cheating because it’s more entertaining. I do not agree with you here but to each their own.

> >

> > What double standard? I said cheating is bad. I never said it’s okay to cheat if you still end up in last. You are the one that keeps throwing out, winners, number one, high rank people. All I’ve ever referred to is those that cheat.

> >

> > I think it’s pretty clear now why you defend this behavior, so I’m gonna call it quits. Best of luck to you and thanks for the civil conversation.

>

> It's not like you are wrong in the least and all your points are valid.

>

> All I wanted to point out is the fact that only the developers can do something about this, and how putting the blame on other players makes no sense (since that's what this thread is about) unless it's because of envy.

>

> Drawing on forum statistics, personal experience and simple logic it's not hard to estimate the scope of wintrading. Furthermore the player in question competed during the e-sports era, have put way more hours in game than most of us and continously manage to place high in AT's without wintrade. Yes they made a mistake, and yes they are at the mercy of anet. Most people have never been affected by this persons presence in the game at all.

>

> All I'm saying is aim that frustration towards anet instead of individual players, because it's this close-minded behaviour that gives them the leeway to have it on the afterburner in the first place. I wouldn't mind having no wintrading in this mode, but I also know nothing would change except longer average queue times. But hey with an expansion coming it's cause to get our hopes up :)

Unfortunately ur right, it is anets fault for creating a system that allows this behavior and makes it possible especially if ur not gonna enforce it.

That said it's sad how many people behave as such and that it has to be that way.

Kinda like shootings, is it the persons fault or the gun manufacturers for creating the gun, or is it the suppliers fault. Of course it's the shooter fault in the end but.

In a way players could not win trade or map manipulate even though they have the option to but haha yeah right emiright.

> @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > @"rng.1024" said:

> > > @"Roquen.5406" said:

> > > @"rng.1024"

> > >

> > > Neither of us know the actual numbers. Only Anet knows that. The playerbase has declined because of neglect, one of those being the lack of policing in their own game. You say policing pvp will help kill their own game mode but it can also do the reverse.

> > >

> > > Your next point is where you lose me. You condone cheating because it’s more entertaining. I do not agree with you here but to each their own.

> > >

> > > What double standard? I said cheating is bad. I never said it’s okay to cheat if you still end up in last. You are the one that keeps throwing out, winners, number one, high rank people. All I’ve ever referred to is those that cheat.

> > >

> > > I think it’s pretty clear now why you defend this behavior, so I’m gonna call it quits. Best of luck to you and thanks for the civil conversation.

> >

> > It's not like you are wrong in the least and all your points are valid.

> >

> > All I wanted to point out is the fact that only the developers can do something about this, and how putting the blame on other players makes no sense (since that's what this thread is about) unless it's because of envy.

> >

> > Drawing on forum statistics, personal experience and simple logic it's not hard to estimate the scope of wintrading. Furthermore the player in question competed during the e-sports era, have put way more hours in game than most of us and continously manage to place high in AT's without wintrade. Yes they made a mistake, and yes they are at the mercy of anet. Most people have never been affected by this persons presence in the game at all.

> >

> > All I'm saying is aim that frustration towards anet instead of individual players, because it's this close-minded behaviour that gives them the leeway to have it on the afterburner in the first place. I wouldn't mind having no wintrading in this mode, but I also know nothing would change except longer average queue times. But hey with an expansion coming it's cause to get our hopes up :)

>

> Unfortunately ur right, it is anets fault for creating a system that allows this behavior and makes it possible especially if ur not gonna enforce it.

> That said it's sad how many people behave as such and that it has to be that way.

> Kinda like shootings, is it the persons fault or the gun manufacturers for creating the gun, or is it the suppliers fault. Of course it's the shooter fault in the end but.

> In a way players could not win trade or map manipulate even though they have the option to but haha yeah right emiright.

Yeah it just depends from what philosophical high ground you look at it.

Unfortunately the system was designed with great trust in the playerbase since it's so forgiving (and to some extent it has to be in an mmo).

We can as a community however, acting as virtual shareholders in this game, guide the developers hands. Use the in-game report system - don't misuse - and send more detailed reports to the report email adress while encouraging our fellow players to do the same. Posting on the forum explaining **how this directly affected you in one of your matches** helps alot, doing so to show the rest of us how good morals you have or for slandering other players doesn't help at all.

I think if ANet won't police their PvP mode. Than they should just make match manipulation officially legal. That way people don't have to risk their accounts if they want to get a competitive leaderboard position.

I just wanted to add. That the main thing that makes me not participate in Ranked PvP. Is the fact that this don't go punished. Yet I'll get punished for posting a video of the perpetrators admitting they threw the match to boost someone on the other team.

Not a environment that I'd want to participate in. So I don't. There, you can scratch off one more PvPer, due to win-trading and match manipulation. I'm sure I'm not alone.