Deaths's charge

Nimon.7840

Hi everyone, some of these "bugs" are known pretty well I think. But there's one new thing about death's charge that is new to me.

So I recently played a lot of reaper for roaming, small-scale, trying to pull out enemies of their zergs, duelling...

But I'm seriously bothered. How can one ability so hard bugged?

First the known bug (think all movement abilities have that problem sometimes):

- while having a target, it often only charges to the position, where the enemy was on skill activation (if you are closer to your target than the leap range is), and then stops on that spot, still playing the animation

- kinda goes with the first one, but sometimes even this doesn't work and you are playing the animation, while not moving at all.

Second thing:

- it still says in the skills description, that it destroys projectiles (shouldn't this have been changed to block? Like poison cloud?)

while I believe this worked at some time, when the enemy was directly in front of you, it doesn't seem to work right now. (When enemies were attacking slightly from the side, it didn't work)

I fought a ranger 2 days ago and charged to him when he was using rapid fire. He wasn't very good and stood still. But I still got the damage of all those shots.

And one last thing that bothered me the most:

- when I was chasing enemies, having them in target, sometimes the leap goes into the opposite direction of the enemy. So when enemy is in front of you, it charges backwards.

This occured once in a 1v1 and twice after some small-scale fights, while trying to chase opponents that were running.

How many bugs can there be for one skill?

Anything else that I didn't experience yet?

> @"Nimon.7840" said:

> Hi everyone, some of these "bugs" are known pretty well I think. But there's one new thing about death's charge that is new to me.

>

> So I recently played a lot of reaper for roaming, small-scale, trying to pull out enemies of their zergs, duelling...

>

> But I'm seriously bothered. How can one ability so hard bugged?

>

> First the known bug (think all movement abilities have that problem sometimes):

> - while having a target, it often only charges to the position, where the enemy was on skill activation (if you are closer to your target than the leap range is), and then stops on that spot, still playing the animation

> - kinda goes with the first one, but sometimes even this doesn't work and you are playing the animation, while not moving at all.

Death's Charge has pathing issues but they can be anticipated because every leap in the game has the same issues. It's an engine flaw you can play around.

> Second thing:

> - it still says in the skills description, that it destroys projectiles (shouldn't this have been changed to block? Like poison cloud?)

> while I believe this worked at some time, when the enemy was directly in front of you, it doesn't seem to work right now. (When enemies were attacking slightly from the side, it didn't work)

>

> I fought a ranger 2 days ago and charged to him when he was using rapid fire. He wasn't very good and stood still. But I still got the damage of all those shots.

He was most likely attacking you with unblockable attacks. An unblockable point blank shot into rapid fire is pretty common as a ranger opener. This does of course ignore death's charge and pushes you back. If you plan to close the gap to a longbow ranger at the beginning of a fight you should always cast infusing terror (stability) right after you entered shroud and before you cast death's charge to abvoid the unblockable pushback. And if the ranger is full glass and you can expect he will melt shroud pretty quickly you better also cast spectral armor right before you enter shroud.

> And one last thing that bothered me the most:

> - when I was chasing enemies, having them in target, sometimes the leap goes into the opposite direction of the enemy. So when enemy is in front of you, it charges backwards.

> This occured once in a 1v1 and twice after some small-scale fights, while trying to chase opponents that were running.

I've never encountered that. Wrong directions have always been a result of accidently having selected the wrong target.

In general it is a good idea to have no target at all selected when casting death's charge and reselect the target right after you used it.

> @"KrHome.1920" said:

> > @"Nimon.7840" said:

> > Hi everyone, some of these "bugs" are known pretty well I think. But there's one new thing about death's charge that is new to me.

> >

> > So I recently played a lot of reaper for roaming, small-scale, trying to pull out enemies of their zergs, duelling...

> >

> > But I'm seriously bothered. How can one ability so hard bugged?

> >

> > First the known bug (think all movement abilities have that problem sometimes):

> > - while having a target, it often only charges to the position, where the enemy was on skill activation (if you are closer to your target than the leap range is), and then stops on that spot, still playing the animation

> > - kinda goes with the first one, but sometimes even this doesn't work and you are playing the animation, while not moving at all.

> Death's Charge has pathing issues but they can be anticipated because every leap in the game has the same issues. It's an engine flaw you can play around.

Like I said, known bug for all leap abilities.

>

> > Second thing:

> > - it still says in the skills description, that it destroys projectiles (shouldn't this have been changed to block? Like poison cloud?)

> > while I believe this worked at some time, when the enemy was directly in front of you, it doesn't seem to work right now. (When enemies were attacking slightly from the side, it didn't work)

> >

> > I fought a ranger 2 days ago and charged to him when he was using rapid fire. He wasn't very good and stood still. But I still got the damage of all those shots.

> He was most likely attacking you with unblockable attacks. An unblockable point blank shot into rapid fire is pretty common as a ranger opener. This does of course ignore death's charge and pushes you back. If you plan to close the gap to a longbow ranger at the beginning of a fight you should always cast infusing terror (stability) right after you entered shroud and before you cast death's charge to abvoid the unblockable pushback. And if the ranger is full glass and you can expect he will melt shroud pretty quickly you better also cast spectral armor right before you enter shroud.

And that's where it gets crazy. like I said, he Was not a good ranger player. And he didn't have the unlockable buff. Or does that.not get displayed to enemies? That would be even worse.

It doesn't really matter as I killed him easily,.... But it's already funny that anet forgot to change this skill as well, when they changed all other skills that "destroyed projectiles". Seems a bit like it was never intended to have this effect. Or they forgot :p

>

> > And one last thing that bothered me the most:

> > - when I was chasing enemies, having them in target, sometimes the leap goes into the opposite direction of the enemy. So when enemy is in front of you, it charges backwards.

> > This occured once in a 1v1 and twice after some small-scale fights, while trying to chase opponents that were running.

> I've never encountered that. Wrong directions have always been a result of accidently having selected the wrong target.

While I do have the problem, that death's charge sometimes autotargets enemies, even though I have that option disabled.

I always had the same target, it didn't switch.

>

> In general it is a good idea to have no target at all selected when casting death's charge and reselect the target right after you used it.

>

The leaping backwards is part of the pathing problem. It is more prevalent on leaps that are long range and leave the ground, like Death's Charge or Savage Slash. Short distance leaps like Eviscerate have not shown these bugs for me. Rush and Bull's Charge will do the bug as well, even going backwards. I have not noticed this bug on any of the ground targeted leaps, so perhaps that is the solution, make all the long distance leaps ground selected. That would also give you better ability to lead a moving target as well.