Unidentified Gear

Do most people open unidentified gear, or do they salvage it?

I've been opening all the rare, but have been torn on what to do with the blue and green unids. I have all the basic skins (I think) collected at this point, save the super rare special weapons for the specialty collections (except for Warpblade, which I finished). I 'assume' there is a chance to get those rare skins from the rare only, which is why I've just been opening those. I occasionally get rares from opening blue and green bags, or maybe I should say 'regularly', with an MF of 233 (253 adjusted with no personal buffs), but rares only sell for about 2/3 of what they did before PoF these days, and while I just started selling excess ectos, I'm not really familiar with where that market is at.

You can get both rares and exotics from either the blues, greens or yellows...so not the choice becomes yours whether or not you want to risk potentially scrapping an exotic named weapon or maybe that ultra rare precursor(yes, it's ultra-rare but they can drop from any source). Before anyone says you can't get exotics I already got a named one from a blue unidentified gear box, and that was with MF at 478%(200 base plus buffs, don't ask the odd number, I'm not even sure where that came from).

Only dif if u open them you get sigils and runes on salvage. if salvage without opening you just get mats. I do both just depends color i usually open rare or better because even some rare sigils worth decent amounts. Blue and under im not losing much but even in long term 1 copper amounts to gold. so it's up to you how you wanna do this entirely. what ever you feel is worth your time and inventory space.

Though i could swear when i opened some blues i got rare equips but green seem never give anything better than a blue. (atleast so far not to contradict the poster above he maybe correct just i haven't seen it happen yet.) usually i salvage them straight up if I don't have the space to use.

But still all falls down what you think worth your time inventory space and maybe the gamble.

Thanks everyone. I guess I'm leaning towards salvaging blues (or half blues) and opening greens and yellows. Salvaging them does give PoF mats, which you don't seem to get if you open them and then salvage what's in them. Now, I haven't used a 'lot' of PoF mats yet, so not really sure how important it is to hoard those. I supposed the eyes would at least be nice to collect to do some Spearmarshal gambling, which I haven't done a lot of yet.

> @notebene.3190 said:

> Thanks everyone. I guess I'm leaning towards salvaging blues (or half blues) and opening greens and yellows. Salvaging them does give PoF mats, which you don't seem to get if you open them and then salvage what's in them. Now, I haven't used a 'lot' of PoF mats yet, so not really sure how important it is to hoard those. I supposed the eyes would at least be nice to collect to do some Spearmarshal gambling, which I haven't done a lot of yet.

My pleasure, glad I could be of some help. Anyways hope you having a good ol time in PoF been having pretty good time exploring not to spoil they be some cool and strange sites in the desert and er ahem "white sand" i'll call it that even though i know what it really is ehehehe. Take care and have a wonderful night.

> @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> Neither. I just sell them on the TP. The unids go for two to three times what you get out of identifying them.

Shoo! Don't crash my market!

I think the verdict was: identify with ~500% MF. With around 300% I don't find it worthwhile to id them just to get a lucky rare or exotic out of them. With 7s per unid green piece and ~50s per yellow depending on the ecto price it would have to be one rare every ~7 identified items. I also always sell the yellows. ~70s a piece is a lot and that random precursor just won't happen. At least not without opening 1000 of them which would have sold for 700g over time.

Sell everything since the price is currently too high.

And the time saved from identify, shard, sell runes ( plus 3c or 1s for salvage each item ) can be used for something else.

Average profit is given by not trusting rng and sell all of em at TP.

The best moment to use em was during the first days of expansions ( low cost, medium t6 materials cost, new exotics still new, etc...).

Btw, opened during the first 2 days around 50k blue pieces, and in around 100+ exotic no precursors ( but still 500g+ profit ).

Mystic forge imho is way better.