What new Weapon do you want for new E-Spec

InsaneQR.7412

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> I can't see it happening as it doesn't fit thematically (this again) and since they nerfed Guardian Staff to 300 range, I can't see them making a shotgun spec with any more range than that, which would make it pretty pointless really.

There's nothing wrong with the theme.

And part of the reason they nerfed Guardian Staff was because of the width of the cone. They also increased that slightly to compensate further for the change, but you can also modify the width of a cone in addition to its length. Now, 600 might not work anymore because of other, non-profession related design choices, but 400 is the distance for your Flamethrower-esque skills and that's not unreasonable.

> @Ghotistyx.6942 said:

> > @"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:

> > I can't see it happening as it doesn't fit thematically (this again) and since they nerfed Guardian Staff to 300 range, I can't see them making a shotgun spec with any more range than that, which would make it pretty pointless really.

>

> There's nothing wrong with the theme.

> And part of the reason they nerfed Guardian Staff was because of the width of the cone. They also increased that slightly to compensate further for the change, but you can also modify the width of a cone in addition to its length. Now, 600 might not work anymore because of other, non-profession related design choices, but 400 is the distance for your Flamethrower-esque skills and that's not unreasonable.

Well, they stated when designing the Ranger that they didn't want it to have access to technology, that Rangers had shunned it in order to focus on Nature Magic and their pets, so that's why it doesn't fit the theme. You only have to look at the current iterations to realise there is zero use of technology. That's why Ranger will never get firearms as a spec.

So hear me out... I chose scepter.

You know how every specialization is introducing new skill types from other classes?

Mesmer got Wells from Necro.

Guardian got Mantras from Mesmer, etc etc.

Scepter Ranger... gets Minions.

Not sure if spirits, or animals would be cooler...

Temporary pets that are invulnerable and do their function for 5-10 seconds before fading.

Or maybe long lasting ones like the necromancer currently has.

Birds, a tank CC pet, a ranged pet...

Oh man. This would be a blast!

> @Caiden.9074 said:

> So hear me out... I chose scepter.

> You know how every specialization is introducing new skill types from other classes?

> Mesmer got Wells from Necro.

> Guardian got Mantras from Mesmer, etc etc.

>

> Scepter Ranger... gets Minions.

> Not sure if spirits, or animals would be cooler...

> Temporary pets that are invulnerable and do their function for 5-10 seconds before fading.

> Or maybe long lasting ones like the necromancer currently has.

> Birds, a tank CC pet, a ranged pet...

>

> Oh man. This would be a blast!

Or make a trait that allows spirits to attack on command, that would be so cool! How would the scepter work out as a weapon though? Summon roots? Always could use more roots lol.

> @extremexhero.9178 said:

>

> Or make a trait that allows spirits to attack on command, that would be so cool! How would the scepter work out as a weapon though? Summon roots? Always could use more roots lol.

Oh man, I don't know. I can't decide if animals or spirits would be cooler as summons.

I'm at work so I'll spitball...

Scepter:

1 - Sends a wisp that does damage over time, much like the druid staff 2. Stacks up to five times. Grants the druid and summons 1% damage per stack.

2 - Sends a spirit stag/creature to charge forward from the druid, causing knockdown in a line. Similar to Flesh Golem charge.

3 - Blink to nearby ally, healing and giving them might. Blink to nearby enemy, dealing damage and applying vulnerability.

4 - Conjure two spirits/animals that defend the caster for 6 seconds, dealing damage and crippling enemies that get close.

5 - Conjure a large spirit that transfers conditions from nearby allies to it, and then slams the ground dealing damage based on the number of conditions absorbed.

> Well, they stated when designing the Ranger that they didn't want it to have access to technology, that Rangers had shunned it in order to focus on Nature Magic and their pets, so that's why it doesn't fit the theme. You only have to look at the current iterations to realise there is zero use of technology. That's why Ranger will never get firearms as a spec.

That's the Ranger. There's nothing preventing them from exploring that territory with an elite spec where exploration of new ideas and concepts is the purpose.

> @Ghotistyx.6942 said:

> > Well, they stated when designing the Ranger that they didn't want it to have access to technology, that Rangers had shunned it in order to focus on Nature Magic and their pets, so that's why it doesn't fit the theme. You only have to look at the current iterations to realise there is zero use of technology. That's why Ranger will never get firearms as a spec.

>

> That's the Ranger. There's nothing preventing them from exploring that territory with an elite spec where exploration of new ideas and concepts is the purpose.

Any eSpec they design for Ranger must be suitable for the Ranger archetype, which means no use of technology like firearms. Not a single one of the 18 eSpecs designed so far have stepped outside the core professions archetype and there is a very good reason for that, it's pointless since other professions will be closer to that archetype in the first place if it is so different to the core and it is not good practice to muddy your archetypes once you have defined them. Ranger and all it's eSpecs will always be Nature Magic and martial weapons.

> Any eSpec they design for Ranger must be suitable for the Ranger archetype, which means no use of technology like firearms. Not a single one of the 18 eSpecs designed so far have stepped outside the core professions archetype and there is a very good reason for that, it's pointless since other professions will be closer to that archetype in the first place if it is so different to the core and it is not good practice to muddy your archetypes once you have defined them. Ranger and all it's eSpecs will always be Nature Magic and martial weapons.

There's been two examples for each class. That's hardly a trend of anything.

Who's going to serve the Navy Seal or Big Game Hunter archetypes? Every class that could've played those roles already have rifle, and Ranger would fit them the best anyway. Dragonhunter has no inherent relation to Guardian. Longbow and Traps mean nothing to the Guardian archetype, and yet that was the first idea implemented. Warhorn, Shouts, and Tempest have nothing inherent to Elementalist other than a vague callback to GW1 and the Stormcaller. Compare those two elite specs that have true, defined flavor like Reaper or Spellbreaker. The purpose of elite specs is to explore different options and experiences. You still have the base class that will follow all its rules, but the elite spec allows you to break those rules. Anet said they wouldn't implement a heal/tank/dps trinity, and yet here we've been with Druid being the poster child of healer archetypes and tanks being required for Raiding.

Unless I get a red post telling me in no uncertain terms that Ranger will never ever get an elite spec with Rifle of Pistol, I'm not closing any doors to the possibility. Even then, I can come up with multiple examples of Anet specifically altering the deal beyond what I've already mentioned. Of course, I'd never expect them to make such a claim because they've been quoted in the soon to be deleted old forums on how much it hamstrings them when they want to change their minds.

> @Ghotistyx.6942 said:

> > Any eSpec they design for Ranger must be suitable for the Ranger archetype, which means no use of technology like firearms. Not a single one of the 18 eSpecs designed so far have stepped outside the core professions archetype and there is a very good reason for that, it's pointless since other professions will be closer to that archetype in the first place if it is so different to the core and it is not good practice to muddy your archetypes once you have defined them. Ranger and all it's eSpecs will always be Nature Magic and martial weapons.

>

> There's been two examples for each class. That's hardly a trend of anything.

> Who's going to serve the Navy Seal or Big Game Hunter archetypes? Every class that could've played those roles already have rifle, and Ranger would fit them the best anyway. Dragonhunter has no inherent relation to Guardian. Longbow and Traps mean nothing to the Guardian archetype, and yet that was the first idea implemented. Warhorn, Shouts, and Tempest have nothing inherent to Elementalist other than a vague callback to GW1 and the Stormcaller. Compare those two elite specs that have true, defined flavor like Reaper or Spellbreaker. The purpose of elite specs is to explore different options and experiences. You still have the base class that will follow all its rules, but the elite spec allows you to break those rules. Anet said they wouldn't implement a heal/tank/dps trinity, and yet here we've been with Druid being the poster child of healer archetypes and tanks being required for Raiding.

>

> Unless I get a red post telling me in no uncertain terms that Ranger will never ever get an elite spec with Rifle of Pistol, I'm not closing any doors to the possibility. Even then, I can come up with multiple examples of Anet specifically altering the deal beyond what I've already mentioned. Of course, I'd never expect them to make such a claim because they've been quoted in the soon to be deleted old forums on how much it hamstrings them when they want to change their minds.

There will never be a Navy Seal profession... wth? Deadeye would be the closest that will ever happen. Dragonhunter IS the big game hunter archetype, did you not see the reveal video? Do you not know they even have a trait named Big Game Hunter? That's the reason Guard got LB over rifle too, rifle does not suit the magical using protector and it needed a ranged option. Traps suit this eSpec perfectly.

A tempest is a storm, the exact thing created by half the elementalists skills (ok, half is exaggerating) and shouts can be used by any profession without breaking their archetype, unless the archetype is being mute. Using a warhorn is perfectly fine too, anyone can use a horn, compare that to the Rangers design which was specifically that they have shunned the use of technology (ie rifles) to focus on Nature magic. And, yes it is a callback to Stormcaller, the horn that summoned a tempest of rain to extinguish the Charr rituals. We even have the skin for the mouth piece in-game (Mountain Call Warhorn). Reaper is a perfect eSpec since it suits the archetype, as is spellbreaker since it is the essence of warrior, someone who does not use magic at all and yet competes with magic users, in this case, specifically targetting them. Druid being a healer further illustrates my point that Ranger is Nature Magic based, just look at it.

Giving Ranger a rifle is tanamount to giving Warrior a staff that uses marks.

> > @Ghotistyx.6942 said:

> There will never be a Navy Seal profession... wth? Deadeye would be the closest that will ever happen. Dragonhunter IS the big game hunter archetype, did you not see the reveal video? Do you not know they even have a trait named Big Game Hunter? That's the reason Guard got LB over rifle too, rifle does not suit the magical using protector and it needed a ranged option. Traps suit this eSpec perfectly.

> A tempest is a storm, the exact thing created by half the elementalists skills (ok, half is exaggerating) and shouts can be used by any profession without breaking their archetype, unless the archetype is being mute. Using a warhorn is perfectly fine too, anyone can use a horn, compare that to the Rangers design which was specifically that they have shunned the use of technology (ie rifles) to focus on Nature magic. And, yes it is a callback to Stormcaller, the horn that summoned a tempest of rain to extinguish the Charr rituals. We even have the skin for the mouth piece in-game (Mountain Call Warhorn). Reaper is a perfect eSpec since it suits the archetype, as is spellbreaker since it is the essence of warrior, someone who does not use magic at all and yet competes with magic users, in this case, specifically targetting them. Druid being a healer further illustrates my point that Ranger is Nature Magic based, just look at it.

>

> Giving Ranger a rifle is tanamount to giving Warrior a staff that uses marks.

Archetype, not profession. Then again, there was the Commando...

Dragonhunter was a high level concept reminiscent of witch hunters. Paraphrased by Anet themselves. A single trait name does not preclude the option of cosplaying Daniel Boone or reenacting Tarzan. Rangers also used to have a trait called Most Dangerous Game, referencing a book about such a Big Game Hunter.

Traps and Longbow have no inherent connection to the other skills Dragonhunter has. They fit nicely as an homage to Monster Hunter games, but there's no inherent connection. Same with Tempest. Warhorn and Shouts both have a sonic relation, but there's no inherent connection between them and the Elementalist. The connection was entirely fabricated in order to serve the elite spec.

Druid is an example of Anet doing something they said they wouldn't do, and balance changes since have been in effect to lessen the requirement of Druid in groups.

Funny you mention Warrior Staff. Its currently leading in its own poll. Almost 50% of the vote! And its not like Staff has to be magical even with marks, or did you forget Daredevil and Revenant?

> @Aomine.5012 said:

> Please no rifle..

> Ranger already have sniping weapon which is LB, so Rifle is redundant and add nothing to ranger.

>

> Shield doesn't fit ranger at all too... Donnu why people want that.

> Make off-hand dagger more defensive (buff dagger in general) and call it a day so we don't need shield..

>

>

> I wish ranger gets double pistol because it really fits the idea of rogue-like class.

> Make it a mid range aoe weapon that focus on mobility and aoe.

> 600 range, hit up to 5 targets in an arc (Like Guardian's staff), doing slightly higher damage than axe, with lots of evasive and teleport build in.

> Before you say anything, no, thief's p/p is not mobile and focus on single target, so this p/p will differentiate from thief.

>

>

Though I voted rifle, I like the idea of pistol. Maybe something to combine with MH Axe as an offhand, or use as a mainhand weapon alongside warhorn. Since MH axe is condi, pistol could be ranged power with room for an off-hand. More mobile and fast-hitting than longbow, but shorter range. Less sniping, more ranged skirmish.

Someone Mentioned the name Warden, it reminded me of the Wardens from Factions. They became very vengeful creatures after the Echovald forest was petrified by Shiro.

**From the original wiki**

_"The mysterious and ancient Wardens guard the areas of Cantha hit hardest by Shiro’s legacy. Protectors of the Echovald that was, they now guard the petrified forest it has become. They may once have been human, perhaps powerful druids or holy men, but they long ago merged with the spirit they served to become something altogether different."_

Perhaps a Warden could be in the same vein, but opposite to the druid, using the darker aspects of nature magic with a melee weapon, vs using a staff to heal. Even the lore agrees with this concept. I initially voted for a rifle, but I think a hammer would be suitable for this spec. This would be the polar opposite to the tranquility of the druid. This class might have something like a Rage mechanic that builds up as they fight. Then they can transform into a wrathful and violent warden, attacking with thorns and strangling vines. Perhaps focusing on AOE conditions and aggressive hammer strikes.

![](https://i.imgur.com/7J1IZCd.jpg "")

• 2 weeks later...

Scepter with a couple power skills, with kit-like channel-utilities as main mechanic. Channel Bear would be the tank-form, Channel Raven would be evasion/CC-oriented, Channel Snow Leopard would be stealth/condi-oriented and Channel Wolf would be power/off. boon oriented. Channel Owl would be minor heal/def. support oriented in heal-slot. Channel Dragon would be major power/condidamage with 30 sec duration and 180 sec cooldown as elite.

The norn do already have transformations...but none really uses them.

> @Issildia.1289 said:

> Someone Mentioned the name Warden, it reminded me of the Wardens from Factions. They became very vengeful creatures after the Echovald forest was petrified by Shiro.

>

> **From the original wiki**

> _"The mysterious and ancient Wardens guard the areas of Cantha hit hardest by Shiro’s legacy. Protectors of the Echovald that was, they now guard the petrified forest it has become. They may once have been human, perhaps powerful druids or holy men, but they long ago merged with the spirit they served to become something altogether different."_

>

>

> Perhaps a Warden could be in the same vein, but opposite to the druid, using the darker aspects of nature magic with a melee weapon, vs using a staff to heal. Even the lore agrees with this concept. I initially voted for a rifle, but I think a hammer would be suitable for this spec. This would be the polar opposite to the tranquility of the druid. This class might have something like a Rage mechanic that builds up as they fight. Then they can transform into a wrathful and violent warden, attacking with thorns and strangling vines. Perhaps focusing on AOE conditions and aggressive hammer strikes.

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/7J1IZCd.jpg "")

>

Though I didn’t like the idea of Hammer at all for ranger. I always really loved the echovald forest, cantha in general, and the Echovald Wardens also. The idea you suggest makes me come around and I do see Hammer as something I might like now, in the way you suggest.

Two-handed whatever new weapon they release at some point (spear, greataxe..?), power focused with the utility a melee ranger needs. If not, off-hand sword, probably. Along with a buff to mainhand sword..

As long as it's not a rifle I can live with it. I hate rifles in this game. And I hate the idea of Anet trying to fit the rifle into a space that is already occupied by our longbow and shortbow. And I can not understand why people would ever want it for anything but roleplaying. Pistol is no good either, but at least it would have some potential as off-hand utility and mainhand short ranged power damage.

> @Ghotistyx.6942 said:

> > > @Ghotistyx.6942 said:

>

> > There will never be a Navy Seal profession... wth? Deadeye would be the closest that will ever happen. Dragonhunter IS the big game hunter archetype, did you not see the reveal video? Do you not know they even have a trait named Big Game Hunter? That's the reason Guard got LB over rifle too, rifle does not suit the magical using protector and it needed a ranged option. Traps suit this eSpec perfectly.

> > A tempest is a storm, the exact thing created by half the elementalists skills (ok, half is exaggerating) and shouts can be used by any profession without breaking their archetype, unless the archetype is being mute. Using a warhorn is perfectly fine too, anyone can use a horn, compare that to the Rangers design which was specifically that they have shunned the use of technology (ie rifles) to focus on Nature magic. And, yes it is a callback to Stormcaller, the horn that summoned a tempest of rain to extinguish the Charr rituals. We even have the skin for the mouth piece in-game (Mountain Call Warhorn). Reaper is a perfect eSpec since it suits the archetype, as is spellbreaker since it is the essence of warrior, someone who does not use magic at all and yet competes with magic users, in this case, specifically targetting them. Druid being a healer further illustrates my point that Ranger is Nature Magic based, just look at it.

> >

> > Giving Ranger a rifle is tanamount to giving Warrior a staff that uses marks.

>

> Archetype, not profession. Then again, there was the Commando...

> Dragonhunter was a high level concept reminiscent of witch hunters. Paraphrased by Anet themselves. A single trait name does not preclude the option of cosplaying Daniel Boone or reenacting Tarzan. Rangers also used to have a trait called Most Dangerous Game, referencing a book about such a Big Game Hunter.

> Traps and Longbow have no inherent connection to the other skills Dragonhunter has. They fit nicely as an homage to Monster Hunter games, but there's no inherent connection. Same with Tempest. Warhorn and Shouts both have a sonic relation, but there's no inherent connection between them and the Elementalist. The connection was entirely fabricated in order to serve the elite spec.

> Druid is an example of Anet doing something they said they wouldn't do, and balance changes since have been in effect to lessen the requirement of Druid in groups.

> Funny you mention Warrior Staff. Its currently leading in its own poll. Almost 50% of the vote! And its not like Staff has to be magical even with marks, or did you forget Daredevil and Revenant?

Haha.. sonic connections. What makes more sense to you? A mage that literally screams while summoning violent storms, or a mage that just flicks his or her finger? It works. Perfectly fine. Doesn't have to be a connection, it needs to make sense.

A rifle on a class that got two ranged, single target weapons that fill both the condi and power gap, on a class that is so clearly directed towards "classic martial" weapons and nature magic. THAT makes no sense. Not mechanically, not lore-wise. Rifle is a roleplay tool for those who want to walk around in Divinity's Reach with a juvenile Krytan drakehound and pretend they're a hunter.

• 2 weeks later...

My vote is Pistal / Dual Pistal.

After Elona we will cross a sea to Cantha place Of Youkai.

If we see fit for our lore I think we should play as Lone wanderer/Youkai or Demon Hunter who have pet as sidekick who like travel place to place.

Jump to trouble and save a poor soul kill badguy/demon/yokai or whatever with a Glory pistol.

save kitten protect the weak kick more ass kill Moar badass !