Should they add a DPS meter? - [Merged]

> @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > @"ewenness.6482" said:

> > Both sides are justified in their displeasure but the only way this can be solved is by rehauling, to a certain degree even gutting, the gearing and talent system so that all options will result in similar performance. The very skilled will still be rewarded by better performance but instead of performing 150% better, they will perform lets say only 20% better. The unskilled will stop being such a massive drag (numerically) in group content.

> 10/10 armchair game dev talk there.

> But...

> People who do not wish to team with low performers do not care if that difference is 20% or 80%.

> They simply do not want to team with low-effort players.

> Buffing low performers to give them some form of artificial viability will not make them more accepted by high performers. It will simply change the numerical bar by which a player is considered "dead weight".

> Some people want to clear content as fast as possible, (not just clear it) that is what is fun for them.

> A low performer is a barrier to that.

> Your post is indicative of the myopic rhetoric pushed by low-effort players that want a carry and cloak their jealousy over not accessing aspirational content with consumerist outrage.

> They think that if the community won't give them the carry that Arenanet should.... and you are buying it hook, line and sinker.

Being a little hostile there. This bit in particular.

> @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> Your post is indicative of the myopic rhetoric pushed by low-effort players that want a carry and cloak their jealousy over not accessing aspirational content with consumerist outrage.

I've progression raided in WoW from classic till the end of Draenor. Nice try with the ad hominem though.

You know why Blizzard ended up iterating on the talent trees and abilities over and over till they came to barely resemble their former selves from the classic days? Because it was not merely unbalanced but extremely so. Classes that had only one viable specialization, specializations that had only one viable talent point distribution, one button rotations, buff bots, infinitely chained crowd control, and massive MASSIVE differences in performance between people depending whether they fell into the noob trap of making their own builds instead of just copying what was on the Elitist Jerks website. I still remember the boredom of constantly farming that damn mace from the midget dungeom that made playing feral druid actually viable.

Shoring up weaker performers won't make them be welcomed in highly skilled organized groups if they lack the ability to communicate and to perform the mechanics (and that's completely fair and jusitifed) but what it will do is make open world content and pick-up-groups more enjoyable for everyone involved. We're not going to get the ability to create private world maps for ourselves and if you don't have enough skilled friends or guildies online at a time you want to do more difficult group meta events, strikes, or fractals then you have to rely on pick-up-groups. You can of course sit around and not accept anyone that can't link 250 LI minimum but depending on the time of the day and the region you are playing, you will sit there for a long time.

Currently Guild Wars 2 is suffering from having "too much freedom" as contradictive as that sounds. A year ago when I got back into this game even I made the mistake of thinking I can make my own build work by doing the math and getting shaman armour with magi trinkets and then roleplaying as a healer with my spirits and staff. In reality, my heals were a joke outside of celestial alignment and my mangy pet did more damage than me. I talk to so many players falling into the same kind of noob traps. They usually have good reflexes, dodge things, watch out for hostile and benefical effects on the floor, the ones who played MMOs before tend to understand how CC works, the ones new to the genre struggle with that, but they all make the mistake of not choosing the right equipment stat combinations and the right traits and the right weapons because the game does nothing to guide them towards what is and isn't efficient.

Also, I'm not saying we should just give "bad" players some sort of health and damage buff like determination stacks in WoW. Instead, noob trap armour combinations should either be scrapped or hidden behind high level crafting skills. Similarly, talents and weapon skills should be changed a bit. Perhaps make each specialization line focus on improving just one particular aspect of the class (like how the elite specializations already do) with some drawbacks and greatly enhance a stat and two weapons that are meant to be a staple of that aspect. Instead of having everything scattered all over the place. They did try this but then sort of gave up halfway through.

That way players would naturally be guided (you could say forced) towards choices that complement each other. They will still not measure up to the top performers but many will stop underperforming so badly that the performance difference is as staggering as it is now.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic