New Player - Currencies & Short Term Goals

Vincible.1065

Hey gays n gals,

I got some really useful feedback / guidance from my last thread here, so I'm coming back with some more questions now I've learnt a bit more about the game.

I've got both HoT and PoF expansions, and am currently level 70 (levelling is really fast in GW2!).

1. Magic Find Max - is this a worthwhile goal?

I watched a vid re Salvaging Ectoplasm's and selling the Crysalline Dust for a very small loss. Currently up to 120% Magic find and climbing. This seems like it will pay off in the long run.

2. Home Instance

What are some quick ways to get a few nodes in here? I think I have it right that I can gather from my own, and from another's Instance daily, so aiming for some nodes seems sensible.

3. Laurels

I spent my first 15x Laurels getting some 'starter gold' to give myself some flexibility (via starter kits & material bags), but am now looking to save these. Whats worth going after? Home Instance nodes seem like a stable long term investment

4. Karma

Should I be trading these in for gold, or trying to save for a 'big ticket' type item? If gold is the answer, am I better off following https://gw2efficiency.com/ or going for the map completion fragments from the rotating vendors? If not gold - what should I be focused on instead here?

5. Time gated crafting

Is there much profit to be made from these items? Not sure how it compares to things like glyphs for investment vs payback, but it seems like crafting can be a big gold sink.

6. Dungeon currencies

I was lucky enough to get a group which ran every wing of Caudecus’s Manor and ended up with 321 Seals of Beetletun. As far as I can tell my best bet here would be to grab a mainhand weapon as an upgrade at 80. Is there a better idea here?

Thanks for your time!

1. Magic find isn't worth aiming for directly. I'd only salvage blue/green/rares (depending on market value) after opening unid and use the luck from it. Many things including unid gear do not rely on magic find.

2. I would suggest getting the candy corn node (400 festival tokens / 5 candy corn cob) , sprocket generator (400 festival tokens ; 25 laurels +15 gold is less worth it) , Gift of Quartz (400 festival tokens ; 25 laurels + 15 gold might be worth it if quartz and charged quartz is high value), Aurilium node (from Heart of Thorns achievement), and wintersday tree (5-6s a day , can only get it during Wintersday). There's also the airship cargo, exalted chest, and crystallized supply cache from Heart of Thorns for 250 map currency each.

3. **Laurels** I would save up unless they are for something you can't get any other way

4. I'd save your karma until you reach 80. You'll probably want it to convert currencies in Bjora Marches or possibly buy recipes and such.

5. Some timegated materials may yield no profit so check. Deldrimor Steel Ingot , Carbonized Mithrillium Ingot , Jeweled Damask Patch , Elonian Leather Square all are in the positive right now however. Because the metals and leather are used in weapons and armor they're more stable than wood/cloth.

6. It's oftentimes better to just PVP/WVW for dungeon currencies once you're 80 as the dungeons are more or less dead content.

---- Seals of Beetletun only offers Rampager , Rabid, and Shaman stat equipment. As such if you want to be relevant it's better to get Rampager or Rabid (condition main stat , toughness without power) for a condition type build (i.e. core necromancer with scepter , core mesmer with scepter, core guardian to an extent, or core ranger on shortbow). Oftentimes people only get the currencies for monk runes (Ascalonian catacombs). However as power damage is preferred in the core game you are far better off with a power build , so at the worst run Rampager from that choice of 3 stats even if ideally you want Berserker or Marauder (more vitality , slightly less damage).

--- Citadel of Flame (Flame Legion Charr Carving currency) , Arah (Shard of Zhaitan currency) , and Crucible of Eternity (Knowledge Crystal currency) offer Berserker stat.

----

Best thing to remember is exotic armor is decent (for everything but fractals), exotic weapon has a bigger gap to ascended/legendary , and to not spend too much gold (i.e. more than a few gold that you can earn from daily 2g achievement) on exotic trinkets/ring/backpiece _especially_ if you can get ascended from map currencies.

Bladed Armor (exotic) from Verdant Brink is a great option for lvl 80 exotic armor as it lets you select any stats available to your account.

Probably the most profitable thing you can do below level 80 is collecting swim speed infusion +10 from the core tyria maps besides collecting lower level materials:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sunken_Treasure_Hunter

When you hit 80 you can do the Heart of Thorns metas once a day (Verdant Brink / Auric Basin / Tangled Depths / Dragon's Stand) for Amalgamated Gemstones and other loot. On the Path of Fire maps there's a bunch of chests in the Tomb of the Primeval Kings in Desert Highlands that offer unid gear.

> 1. Magic Find Max - is this a worthwhile goal?

> I watched a vid re Salvaging Ectoplasm's and selling the Crysalline Dust for a very small loss. Currently up to 120% Magic find and climbing. This seems like it will pay off in the long run.

Magic find only effects a small part of the loot in the game, so I would not waste important Gold at the early stage of the game for leveling it... this happens fast enough anyway. For details check the wiki: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magic_Find.

TL;DR It only works on items directly dropped from mobs with some exceptions.

> 2. Home Instance

> What are some quick ways to get a few nodes in here? I think I have it right that I can gather from my own, and from another's Instance daily, so aiming for some nodes seems sensible.

Nearly all nodes are not worth it to get gold wise (even after many many years)... so do not bother with it too much. Very few like e.g. "Quartz Crystal Formation" Node are useful - that one specifically because it allows you a slighty faster gain of Charged Quartz Crystal for some collections later on. Consider that topic to be more of a prestige and gold sink than anything else.

> 3. Laurels

> I spent my first 15x Laurels getting some 'starter gold' to give myself some flexibility (via starter kits & material bags), but am now looking to save these. Whats worth going after? Home Instance nodes seem like a stable long term investment

i would recommend to mostly use them for buying materials via crafting bags and exchanging them for gold at the start; https://gw2efficiency.com/currencies/laurels is quite useful for this.

> 4. Karma

> Should I be trading these in for gold, or trying to save for a 'big ticket' type item? If gold is the answer, am I better off following https://gw2efficiency.com/ or going for the map completion fragments from the rotating vendors? If not gold - what should I be focused on instead here?

In general I would recommend to wait until the Wintersday festival and exchange karma for materials to sell later on. In general you do not need too much of Karma for rewards, but I would recommend to save ~1 Million just in case.

> 5. Time gated crafting

> Is there much profit to be made from these items? Not sure how it compares to things like glyphs for investment vs payback, but it seems like crafting can be a big gold sink.

Crafting daily ascended materials as e.g. "Lump of Mithrillium" and selling the refined versions (in this case "Deldrimor Steel Ingot") will gain you everyday a few gold... but warned tho that you might want higher quantaties of these items for yourself since they are crucial for ascended crafting.

> 6. Dungeon currencies

> I was lucky enough to get a group which ran every wing of Caudecus’s Manor and ended up with 321 Seals of Beetletun. As far as I can tell my best bet here would be to grab a mainhand weapon as an upgrade at 80. Is there a better idea here?

For most(!) classes (I dunno what you play) I would recommend to get a set of exotic berserker gear at lvl80 for some decent easy dmg. Sadly Seals of Beetletun do not allow you to buy such items. For cheap and fast acces use the Trading Post and filter via the cog for lvl80 exotic power+precision+ferocity gear; you will see that some randomly named exotic drops are far cheaper than the normally crafted ones with "berserk" in their names - they are equally good tho.

Feel free to ask me here or ingame for further details.

Val

> I watched a vid re Salvaging Ectoplasm's and selling the Crysalline Dust for a very small loss. Currently up to 120% Magic find and climbing. This seems like it will pay off in the long run.

It's an okay goal, but increasing above ~200 takes a lot more luck, so it just becomes slower and slower. If you don't have alrger amounts of gold (200-300 at least) it won't be feasible to increase it by much without large time investments

> 2. Home Instance

> What are some quick ways to get a few nodes in here? I think I have it right that I can gather from my own, and from another's Instance daily, so aiming for some nodes seems sensible.

Getting nodes yourself is not really a way to make money (it can become profitable over years but ...). Some people do it for fun, some because they are collectors, etc. You can gather each specific home instance node once per day (on any character, in any home instance). If you know some people who have a lot of nodes (or use lfg) just use their instance

> 3. Laurels

> I spent my first 15x Laurels getting some 'starter gold' to give myself some flexibility (via starter kits & material bags), but am now looking to save these. Whats worth going after? Home Instance nodes seem like a stable long term investment

Laurels are an easy source for your first ascended amulet (core stats only though) you can also get utility infusions for these. If its money you want go for T6 material bags.

> 4. Karma

> Should I be trading these in for gold, or trying to save for a 'big ticket' type item? If gold is the answer, am I better off following https://gw2efficiency.com/ or going for the map completion fragments from the rotating vendors? If not gold - what should I be focused on instead here?

it's very tedious to convert Karma into gold - most people just let it pile up. You can spend (&earn) a lot during wintersday

> 5. Time gated crafting

> Is there much profit to be made from these items? Not sure how it compares to things like glyphs for investment vs payback, but it seems like crafting can be a big gold sink.

Not sure how high the profit is, but in the long you will want to use these materials at some point. I'd recommend keeping them for now.

> 6. Dungeon currencies

> I was lucky enough to get a group which ran every wing of Caudecus’s Manor and ended up with 321 Seals of Beetletun. As far as I can tell my best bet here would be to grab a mainhand weapon as an upgrade at 80. Is there a better idea here?

Dungeon tokens are indeed best spend on exotic gear - be aware though that each dungeon only offers 3 stat combinations - some are quite good others not so much (don't remember which ones CM has)

A lot of good advice so far.

> @"Vincible.1065" said:

Not worth it, especially not in the beginning. This will accumulate over time. Don't waste gold on this.

> 2. Home Instance

Home nodes are a all in or not all all affair for me personally (I am all in). Realize this though: most nodes take about 1.5-2 years to pay off, and require you harvest them daily. It is a huge upfront investment, even if "only" going for the Living World Season nodes and a few extra. Even more expensive with the Black Lion Nodes.

IF you ever get to the situation where you have a full home instance to daily gather from and IF you stick with the game long enough, this can be fun to max out. You have to know yourself if this is worth it to you.

> 3. Laurels

Perfectly fine to use Laurels to convert to gold. Another use would be getting enrichments for ascended amulets. What I would advice against is getting trinkets with Laurels. These are far outdated price wise and far cheaper to acquire via other methods.

> 4. Karma

Don't convert Karma to gold. The conversion rate is abysmal and in todays GW2 state, you get regular Karma items for purchase, be it minis or ascended gear or anything semi useful. I would recommend keeping/building a reserve of around 500k-1m karma for any emergency purchases you might want/need with future content releases. Some times achievements require Karma investments and you don't want to be out of karma in those cases because farming karma can be annoying when one is not in the mood.

> 6. Dungeon currencies

Depends on what your goal is.

The most common uses for dungeon currencies are:

- desired cosmetic (often armor skins)

- runes (some dungeons offer unique account bound runes used in some builds like Monk from ascalon)

- the gift for crafting T1 legendary

- completing the overall achievement for getting all the skins from a dungeon unlocked (will take a while as new player)

- buying exotic weapons to throw into the mystic forge

Hey,

Thanks for all of your responses folks, seems I need to adjust some plans. Also forgot to mention that i'm currently playing thief!

1. Magic Find - i'll drop the plan to max this and let it build naturally

2. Home Instance - totally didn't realize this too was a 'gold sink' style thing, will stay clear of it for now :)

3. Laurels - gold or an ascended amulet it is then

4. Karma - Looks like i'll be saving for now

5. Time Gated Crafting - Seems the general advice is to look into levelling crafting for personal use - will add it to the to do list!

6. Dungeons Currencies - Seems i've been doing the wrong dungeon types for the gear I need. As a thief, i'll readjust to aim for the berserker gear. I'm not really too interested in armour skins, and a legendary seems like its a long way off. So mystic forge it is...

@Cyninja.2954 could you explain how I would use exotic weps in the mystic forge, or is there a resource available explaining this? Can I throw in soulbound stuff too?

> 5. Time Gated Crafting - Seems the general advice is to look into levelling crafting for personal use - will add it to the to do list!

While we are at it: I recommend https://gw2crafts.net/ for leveliing crafting; make sure not to reload the website inbetween.

The ascended materials you are aiming for are Deldrimor Steel Ingot, Spiritwood Plank, Elonian Leather Square and Bolt of Damask btw.

> 6. Dungeons Currencies - Seems i've been doing the wrong dungeon types for the gear I need. As a thief, i'll readjust to aim for the berserker gear.

As I described before you can also buy the gear cheap on the TP - doing dungeons for that is IMO nowadays for too much of a hassle, especially with inexp. people it can become sometimes a nightmare. A full set of exotic is like less than 10g and you get far more via crafting materials goldwise until lvl80.

> @Cyninja.2954 could you explain how I would use exotic weps in the mystic forge, or is there a resource available explaining this? Can I throw in soulbound stuff too?

Not @me, but let me try anyway: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Precursor_weapon#Mystic_Forge gives a general idea. With luck you randomly create a Precurser which is needed for Gen1 Legy Weapons. I honestly would advise against such gambling if you are new and just salvage everything you get. You can also salvage the Weapons from the Dungeon Vendor and some of the rare extraced upgrades can be worth a few gold - not really worth it, but one way to use leftover dungeon currencies.

> @"Vincible.1065" said:

> Hey gays n gals,

>

> I got some really useful feedback / guidance from my last thread here, so I'm coming back with some more questions now I've learnt a bit more about the game.

> I've got both HoT and PoF expansions, and am currently level 70 (levelling is really fast in GW2!).

>

I would vote not worth it. Before long if you salvage gear, you'll be swimming in excessive amounts of exotic luck (crafting them to minimize the other values.)

> 2. Home Instance

You can not repeat these from instance to instance. The candy corn can be done 2 times if you get the expanded version in one instance and the smaller one in a second, but technically these are 2 different nodes and only 1 is present per instance. The profit is not there on getting all your own nodes, unless you taxi people through your instance and beg for tips. Then its very slow, but easy to afk through, better ways to make gold.

>

> 3. Laurels

T6 mats will do you best. If you craft ascended things, you might want to pool a small amount in case you need them for recipes.

> 4. Karma

Wintersday is the best way to blow karma and make a little bit of profit.

> 5. Time gated crafting

Never bothered to try, so can't answer. Other answers look like they have usable info.

> 6. Dungeon currencies

Dungeon tokens can be used to buy armor and weapon sets. There are collections and achieves for getting them all. WVW PVP reward tracks are best for doing this. Unless you have a large income of these, they are not going to be very profitable. They are useful to have on hand if you plan to do legendary crafting. Dungeons are mostly dead with a few things requiring them. There isn't a lot of profit to be had from them.

> Thanks for your time!

>

> @"Vincible.1065" said:

> Hey gays n gals,

>

> I got some really useful feedback / guidance from my last thread here, so I'm coming back with some more questions now I've learnt a bit more about the game.

> I've got both HoT and PoF expansions, and am currently level 70 (levelling is really fast in GW2!).

>

>

> 2. Home Instance

>

> 3. Laurels

>

> 4. Karma

>

> 5. Time gated crafting

>

> 6. Dungeon currencies

>

> Thanks for your time!

>

1. Magic find is extremely useful if you plan on farming mobs/events, if anything I'd say its mandatory. there's a misconception on how magic find basically works. if you would have recieved say a rare sword, higher magic find increases the chances of it being an exotic sword proportionately to the amount of magic find you have i,e 100% magic find means you have x2 the amount of chance of that drop being an exotic. magic find will not increase the chances of the drop itself just the rarity in tier. if you're not interested in farming however then your chances of drops are obviously going to be significantly lower so you could naturally level it up with salvaged gear (tip always identify your gear at lvl80 and salvage they have a chance of upgrading in tier).

2. You cannot gather from the same node twice regardless of the home instance. some of the nodes are incredibly worth it though take a look at the site below, it will tell you how many days it will take to make a return on your investment.

https://fast.farming-community.eu/instances/full-home

as you can see some nodes like the enchanted treasure chest arent worth going for unless you are a collector as it would take 9 years to get your gold back. some like the sprocket node only take 120 days and can be bought with laurels.

3. I feel like people are giving bad advice around currencies, try to save your currencies and never convert them for gold (exception being volatile magic) gold is much easier to come by than laurels. try to only buy things that you can only get with that currency, for example you can get your ascended trinkets from the living world currencies which are much easier to come by.

4. same as above, if you're going to buy something with karma try and see if you can get it elsewhere easier and cheaper, karma becomes a lot more relevant in season 4 LS and icebrood saga many items begin to cost around 175k karma to purchase. for example one thing you may wish to purchase with karma is the obsidian shards, these can easily be obtained from bandit chests which can also be acquired as a home node rather easily.

5. almost always timegated crafting is worth it and will make you a profit, you can easily use the material storage section of https://gw2efficiency.com/ to see the crafting price of items to see if its worth it. for example its almost always worth refining your materials.

6. Another player above made a good suggestion, once you have done the story mode you will unlock that dungeon as a reward track for pvp AND wvw. this can be an easy way to aquire the dungeon currencies, I think you get about 240 for the reward track. however there could be better things you should be doing with your reward track. such as aiming for the tracks with Mystic clovers (they are valued at 7gold each) or getting the gift of battle in wvw (only way to get it).

I'd like to add my own little bit of advice here that some people may find a bit controversial :P NEVER SELL ANY MATERIAL on the TP that you loot

if you plan on playing this game in the thousands of hours you will be almost guaranteed to need every single item you will ever pick up/ collect as loot. the moment you sell something you have immediately lost 15% of its value. its a hard rule to follow as the temptation is there to increase your gold in your wallet however this was made a lot easier for me when I started using https://gw2efficiency.com/ it allowed me to see my liquid gold and feel more attached to my material storage. this method also protects you against price spikes in times of high demand a good example of this is leather and silk, silk spiked high in price when ascended armour was released and many players become punished and subject to the hoarders that had kept all their silk to themselves. it happens time and time again.

> @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> I'd like to add my own little bit of advice here that some people may find a bit controversial :P NEVER SELL ANY MATERIAL on the TP that you loot

> if you plan on playing this game in the thousands of hours you will be almost guaranteed to need every single item you will ever pick up/ collect as loot. the moment you sell something you have immediately lost 15% of its value. its a hard rule to follow as the temptation is there to increase your gold in your wallet however this was made a lot easier for me when I started using https://gw2efficiency.com/ it allowed me to see my liquid gold and feel more attached to my material storage. this method also protects you against price spikes in times of high demand a good example of this is leather and silk, silk spiked high in price when ascended armour was released and many players become punished and subject to the hoarders that had kept all their silk to themselves. it happens time and time again.

Sorry, but that is a hoarders mentality and not good advice, especially to a new player or in some cases even veteran. The inventory issue aside, which will be another obstacle for newer players:

1. even as a veteran player, it is useful to sell off unneeded materials regularly. Granted a veteran player will know far better which materials he will need in the near future and which he can sell off. Suffice to say, there is tons of stuff which you don't need to hoard for months.

2. this is a new player. A lot of materials he will accumulate will be absolute useless to him for a long time, for example Mystic Coins from login rewards, unless he decides to credit card warrior up and start buying gold left and right. Converting materials you might need in hundreds or thousands of hours from now, in order to get gold for basic upgrades will yield far greater return in the short run and even more so in the long run. Say getting some living world episodes unlocked earlier to gain access to those resources, maps and trinkets/gear or simple things like Salvage-O-matics, Shared Inventory Slots or other QoL things.

3. hoarding protects you against price spikes in the same way it hurts you in times when prices bottom out.

> @"Vincible.1065" said:

It's useful, but not overly so.

I wouldn't invest any gold into it as you'll end up with eventually getting to the 300% cap from just normal salvaging stuff at level 80 to sell on the materials from on the TP. Not to mention log in rewards offer Luck consumables regularly.

> @"Vincible.1065" said:

> 2. Home Instance

> What are some quick ways to get a few nodes in here?

Quickest way is to purchase off the gem store.

But I wouldn't recommend that. At best, maybe pick up some of the HoT/LW ones that can be purchased with their respective currencies if you have some spare.

> @"Vincible.1065" said:

> 3. Laurels

> Whats worth going after?

Ascended gear can be useful, although there are easier places to get Ascended accessories (LW3 and LW4)

Infusions can be good to, while +4 stats isn't the best (Highest you can get is +5) it's easy to obtain compared to farming for +5's in Fractals or WvW (Of course, you'll need the ones from Fractals if you are doing Fractals due to the Agony Resistance)

Otherwise, grab material bags to turn into gold or craft stuff with.

> @"Vincible.1065" said:

> 4. Karma

> Should I be trading these in for gold, or trying to save for a 'big ticket' type item?

I'd say save your Karma for now. There are useful items to purchase in Living World maps that require Karma.

After you obtain everything you can find for Karma, then start looking at exchanging spare Karma for gold (Though, you'll be hard pressed to find good trades, ANet keeps cracking down on any efficient Karma > Gold conversions)

> @"Vincible.1065" said:

> 5. Time gated crafting

Not a lot... But some things can be useful.

Pieces of Skyscale Food are decent, with also use for when you want to get your own Skyscale mount too.

> @"Vincible.1065" said:

> 6. Dungeon currencies

Dungeon currencies are not worth much anymore. There's easier better ways to obtain level 80 exotic gear (For example, many core stat distributions are cheap on TP. A full set of Berserker gear, including armour, weapons and accessories, costs like 10g total) while any HoT stat distributions (4 stat gear) can be acquired from Verdant Brink.

Much of the use of dungeon currencies is merely for skins and a few Achievement Points for getting the collections. Though there are also some uses for the Runes obtained in some dungeons (For example, Rune of the Nightmare can be useful for some Condition builds)

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > I'd like to add my own little bit of advice here that some people may find a bit controversial :P NEVER SELL ANY MATERIAL on the TP that you loot

> > if you plan on playing this game in the thousands of hours you will be almost guaranteed to need every single item you will ever pick up/ collect as loot. the moment you sell something you have immediately lost 15% of its value. its a hard rule to follow as the temptation is there to increase your gold in your wallet however this was made a lot easier for me when I started using https://gw2efficiency.com/ it allowed me to see my liquid gold and feel more attached to my material storage. this method also protects you against price spikes in times of high demand a good example of this is leather and silk, silk spiked high in price when ascended armour was released and many players become punished and subject to the hoarders that had kept all their silk to themselves. it happens time and time again.

>

> Sorry, but that is a hoarders mentality and not good advice, especially to a new player or in some cases even veteran. The inventory issue aside, which will be another obstacle for newer players:

>

> 1. even as a veteran player, it is useful to sell off unneeded materials regularly. Granted a veteran player will know far better which materials he will need in the near future and which he can sell off. Suffice to say, there is tons of stuff which you don't need to hoard for months.

> 2. this is a new player. A lot of materials he will accumulate will be absolute useless to him for a long time, for example Mystic Coins from login rewards, unless he decides to credit card warrior up and start buying gold left and right. Converting materials you might need in hundreds or thousands of hours from now, in order to get gold for basic upgrades will yield far greater return in the short run and even more so in the long run. Say getting some living world episodes unlocked earlier to gain access to those resources, maps and trinkets/gear or simple things like Salvage-O-matics, Shared Inventory Slots or other QoL things.

> 3. hoarding protects you against price spikes in the same way it hurts you in times when prices bottom out.

If this was any other game I'd completely agree with you, but in gw2 its so easy to get gear and equipment there's no need, you couldn't have picked a worse example, do not under any circumstances sell your mystic coins for money directly to the TP, if you absolutely need gold from them and them alone at least craft one of the mystic forge weapons with them and convert some of your spirit shards at the same time. mystic coins are an unofficial currency for traders if you sell it will be more difficult to purchase them at buy price and since release these items have only gone up in value and a lot of players (hence it being an unofficial currency) believe this trend will continue. selling and losing 15% and then having to buy back at an even higher price is insanity. just save them you will need them at some point guaranteed.

if you want to play the game getting hit hard every time you want to craft something then sell your mats if not then hoard. by all means sell any gear you pick up that you dont need just always slow sell never sell at the buy listings.

> @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > > I'd like to add my own little bit of advice here that some people may find a bit controversial :P NEVER SELL ANY MATERIAL on the TP that you loot

> > > if you plan on playing this game in the thousands of hours you will be almost guaranteed to need every single item you will ever pick up/ collect as loot. the moment you sell something you have immediately lost 15% of its value. its a hard rule to follow as the temptation is there to increase your gold in your wallet however this was made a lot easier for me when I started using https://gw2efficiency.com/ it allowed me to see my liquid gold and feel more attached to my material storage. this method also protects you against price spikes in times of high demand a good example of this is leather and silk, silk spiked high in price when ascended armour was released and many players become punished and subject to the hoarders that had kept all their silk to themselves. it happens time and time again.

> >

> > Sorry, but that is a hoarders mentality and not good advice, especially to a new player or in some cases even veteran. The inventory issue aside, which will be another obstacle for newer players:

> >

> > 1. even as a veteran player, it is useful to sell off unneeded materials regularly. Granted a veteran player will know far better which materials he will need in the near future and which he can sell off. Suffice to say, there is tons of stuff which you don't need to hoard for months.

> > 2. this is a new player. A lot of materials he will accumulate will be absolute useless to him for a long time, for example Mystic Coins from login rewards, unless he decides to credit card warrior up and start buying gold left and right. Converting materials you might need in hundreds or thousands of hours from now, in order to get gold for basic upgrades will yield far greater return in the short run and even more so in the long run. Say getting some living world episodes unlocked earlier to gain access to those resources, maps and trinkets/gear or simple things like Salvage-O-matics, Shared Inventory Slots or other QoL things.

> > 3. hoarding protects you against price spikes in the same way it hurts you in times when prices bottom out.

>

> If this was any other game I'd completely agree with you, but in gw2 its so easy to get gear and equipment there's no need, you couldn't have picked a worse example, do not under any circumstances sell your mystic coins for money directly to the TP, if you absolutely need gold from them and them alone at least craft one of the mystic forge weapons with them and convert some of your spirit shards at the same time. mystic coins are an unofficial currency for traders if you sell it will be more difficult to purchase them at buy price and since release these items have only gone up in value and a lot of players (hence it being an unofficial currency) believe this trend will continue. selling and losing 15% and then having to buy back at an even higher price is insanity. just save them you will need them at some point guaranteed.

>

> if you want to play the game getting hit hard every time you want to craft something then sell your mats if not then hoard. by all means sell any gear you pick up that you dont need just always slow sell never sell at the buy listings.

Mystic Coins are only of value IF you ever craft anything with them. Even then, most of these items are hardly things new players will consider within the first 1k hours or later.

Same as all resources. Resources in your bank are WORTHLESS until they are utilized. If a new player were to sell his Mystic Coins and get say a Copper-Fed-Salvage-O-Matic, which both would reduce his inventory management times as well as increase his game enjoyment, he would recuperate that potential "future loss", which is not even guaranteed given how prices fluctuate (so in essence even at similar value, the loss is 15%) within days of play.

The same goes for Laurels. Yes, you might feel great having 1k of them stacked up, but they are useless to you unless utilized. Now there are some things which one should not get, say trinkets, simply because there are far better ways to get them. Yet if a new player were to convert laurels early to get some gold to get faster access to lucrative or time saving upgrades, that investment pays out (and I never mentioned gear, not once. There are enough upgrades a player can/should get which grant access to content or QoL upgrades which new players will be lacking, unless as mentioned they invest heavily in gems and convert those to gold).

Stop hording, or keep hording, up to you, but at least be aware of the economic approach you are taking to the game and which benefits AND detriments it has.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > > > I'd like to add my own little bit of advice here that some people may find a bit controversial :P NEVER SELL ANY MATERIAL on the TP that you loot

> > > > if you plan on playing this game in the thousands of hours you will be almost guaranteed to need every single item you will ever pick up/ collect as loot. the moment you sell something you have immediately lost 15% of its value. its a hard rule to follow as the temptation is there to increase your gold in your wallet however this was made a lot easier for me when I started using https://gw2efficiency.com/ it allowed me to see my liquid gold and feel more attached to my material storage. this method also protects you against price spikes in times of high demand a good example of this is leather and silk, silk spiked high in price when ascended armour was released and many players become punished and subject to the hoarders that had kept all their silk to themselves. it happens time and time again.

> > >

> > > Sorry, but that is a hoarders mentality and not good advice, especially to a new player or in some cases even veteran. The inventory issue aside, which will be another obstacle for newer players:

> > >

> > > 1. even as a veteran player, it is useful to sell off unneeded materials regularly. Granted a veteran player will know far better which materials he will need in the near future and which he can sell off. Suffice to say, there is tons of stuff which you don't need to hoard for months.

> > > 2. this is a new player. A lot of materials he will accumulate will be absolute useless to him for a long time, for example Mystic Coins from login rewards, unless he decides to credit card warrior up and start buying gold left and right. Converting materials you might need in hundreds or thousands of hours from now, in order to get gold for basic upgrades will yield far greater return in the short run and even more so in the long run. Say getting some living world episodes unlocked earlier to gain access to those resources, maps and trinkets/gear or simple things like Salvage-O-matics, Shared Inventory Slots or other QoL things.

> > > 3. hoarding protects you against price spikes in the same way it hurts you in times when prices bottom out.

> >

> > If this was any other game I'd completely agree with you, but in gw2 its so easy to get gear and equipment there's no need, you couldn't have picked a worse example, do not under any circumstances sell your mystic coins for money directly to the TP, if you absolutely need gold from them and them alone at least craft one of the mystic forge weapons with them and convert some of your spirit shards at the same time. mystic coins are an unofficial currency for traders if you sell it will be more difficult to purchase them at buy price and since release these items have only gone up in value and a lot of players (hence it being an unofficial currency) believe this trend will continue. selling and losing 15% and then having to buy back at an even higher price is insanity. just save them you will need them at some point guaranteed.

> >

> > if you want to play the game getting hit hard every time you want to craft something then sell your mats if not then hoard. by all means sell any gear you pick up that you dont need just always slow sell never sell at the buy listings.

>

> Mystic Coins are only of value IF you ever craft anything with them. Even then, most of these items are hardly things new players will consider within the first 1k hours or later.

>

> Same as all resources. Resources in your bank are WORTHLESS until they are utilized. If a new player were to sell his Mystic Coins and get say a Copper-Fed-Salvage-O-Matic, which both would reduce his inventory management times as well as increase his game enjoyment, he would recuperate that potential "future loss", which is not even guaranteed given how prices fluctuate (so in essence even at similar value, the loss is 15%) within days of play.

>

> The same goes for Laurels. Yes, you might feel great having 1k of them stacked up, but they are useless to you unless utilized. Now there are some things which one should not get, say trinkets, simply because there are far better ways to get them. Yet if a new player were to convert laurels early to get some gold to get faster access to lucrative or time saving upgrades, that investment pays out (and I never mentioned gear, not once. There are enough upgrades a player can/should get which grant access to content or QoL upgrades which new players will be lacking, unless as mentioned they invest heavily in gems and convert those to gold).

>

> Stop hording, or keep hording, up to you, but at least be aware of the economic approach you are taking to the game and which benefits AND detriments it has.

Like I said, this would be controversial people just dont have the willpower, liquid gold is still buying power, have all your gold in mats diversifies your gold and protects you against any spikes or drops. this is advice from some of the richest players in game. if you want to be one of the regular players always struggling for gold whenever you need something then dont take it. if you ever want more gold than the regular player then you need to set yourself apart from them.

you're right though hoard or not it depends entirely on what end goals the player is going for if this advice applies to them, if youre not interested in being rich with all legendaries in all slots etc and just want to play fractals/raids then convert your currencies until your heart's content.

> @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > > > > I'd like to add my own little bit of advice here that some people may find a bit controversial :P NEVER SELL ANY MATERIAL on the TP that you loot

> > > > > if you plan on playing this game in the thousands of hours you will be almost guaranteed to need every single item you will ever pick up/ collect as loot. the moment you sell something you have immediately lost 15% of its value. its a hard rule to follow as the temptation is there to increase your gold in your wallet however this was made a lot easier for me when I started using https://gw2efficiency.com/ it allowed me to see my liquid gold and feel more attached to my material storage. this method also protects you against price spikes in times of high demand a good example of this is leather and silk, silk spiked high in price when ascended armour was released and many players become punished and subject to the hoarders that had kept all their silk to themselves. it happens time and time again.

> > > >

> > > > Sorry, but that is a hoarders mentality and not good advice, especially to a new player or in some cases even veteran. The inventory issue aside, which will be another obstacle for newer players:

> > > >

> > > > 1. even as a veteran player, it is useful to sell off unneeded materials regularly. Granted a veteran player will know far better which materials he will need in the near future and which he can sell off. Suffice to say, there is tons of stuff which you don't need to hoard for months.

> > > > 2. this is a new player. A lot of materials he will accumulate will be absolute useless to him for a long time, for example Mystic Coins from login rewards, unless he decides to credit card warrior up and start buying gold left and right. Converting materials you might need in hundreds or thousands of hours from now, in order to get gold for basic upgrades will yield far greater return in the short run and even more so in the long run. Say getting some living world episodes unlocked earlier to gain access to those resources, maps and trinkets/gear or simple things like Salvage-O-matics, Shared Inventory Slots or other QoL things.

> > > > 3. hoarding protects you against price spikes in the same way it hurts you in times when prices bottom out.

> > >

> > > If this was any other game I'd completely agree with you, but in gw2 its so easy to get gear and equipment there's no need, you couldn't have picked a worse example, do not under any circumstances sell your mystic coins for money directly to the TP, if you absolutely need gold from them and them alone at least craft one of the mystic forge weapons with them and convert some of your spirit shards at the same time. mystic coins are an unofficial currency for traders if you sell it will be more difficult to purchase them at buy price and since release these items have only gone up in value and a lot of players (hence it being an unofficial currency) believe this trend will continue. selling and losing 15% and then having to buy back at an even higher price is insanity. just save them you will need them at some point guaranteed.

> > >

> > > if you want to play the game getting hit hard every time you want to craft something then sell your mats if not then hoard. by all means sell any gear you pick up that you dont need just always slow sell never sell at the buy listings.

> >

> > Mystic Coins are only of value IF you ever craft anything with them. Even then, most of these items are hardly things new players will consider within the first 1k hours or later.

> >

> > Same as all resources. Resources in your bank are WORTHLESS until they are utilized. If a new player were to sell his Mystic Coins and get say a Copper-Fed-Salvage-O-Matic, which both would reduce his inventory management times as well as increase his game enjoyment, he would recuperate that potential "future loss", which is not even guaranteed given how prices fluctuate (so in essence even at similar value, the loss is 15%) within days of play.

> >

> > The same goes for Laurels. Yes, you might feel great having 1k of them stacked up, but they are useless to you unless utilized. Now there are some things which one should not get, say trinkets, simply because there are far better ways to get them. Yet if a new player were to convert laurels early to get some gold to get faster access to lucrative or time saving upgrades, that investment pays out (and I never mentioned gear, not once. There are enough upgrades a player can/should get which grant access to content or QoL upgrades which new players will be lacking, unless as mentioned they invest heavily in gems and convert those to gold).

> >

> > Stop hording, or keep hording, up to you, but at least be aware of the economic approach you are taking to the game and which benefits AND detriments it has.

>

> Like I said, this would be controversial people just dont have the willpower, liquid gold is still buying power, have all your gold in mats diversifies your gold and protects you against any spikes or drops. this is advice from some of the richest players in game. if you want to be one of the regular players always struggling for gold whenever you need something then dont take it. if you ever want more gold than the regular player then you need to set yourself apart from them.

>

Having all your liquid gold in materials makes you subject to the value of those materials WHEN you use them, while liquid gold makes you subject to inflation. There is some value in diversifying, but at the same time, and this is where this is relevant to a new player: storing things which might be of value to one in the far far future, instead of utilizing those resources to gain benefits which are of use now, be it time, better daily rewards, convenience, etc. is just as economically unsound as selling everything immediately to highest buyer.

> @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> you're right though hoard or not it depends entirely on what end goals the player is going for if this advice applies to them, if youre not interested in being rich with all legendaries in all slots etc and just want to play fractals/raids then convert your currencies until your heart's content.

This has nothing to do with being rich. I could right now pick 5 commodities over the last year which made you lose if you had stored and kept them. If you want to talk about being wealthy, looking only at hording is the wrong way to go.

What you are talking about is making educated and responsible use of resources, which players who gain a lot of wealth in-game do. That is not only related to hording. On the contrary. I guarantee you, there is a constant exchange happening here both on the TP as well as on trading platforms. No "rich" player hords materials for the sake of it. They do so because they have use of them. Use which a new player might not have for again thousands of hours and simply keeping the materials now just in case he might need them, and hoping they are not subject to change in value, is bad advice.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > > > > > I'd like to add my own little bit of advice here that some people may find a bit controversial :P NEVER SELL ANY MATERIAL on the TP that you loot

> > > > > > if you plan on playing this game in the thousands of hours you will be almost guaranteed to need every single item you will ever pick up/ collect as loot. the moment you sell something you have immediately lost 15% of its value. its a hard rule to follow as the temptation is there to increase your gold in your wallet however this was made a lot easier for me when I started using https://gw2efficiency.com/ it allowed me to see my liquid gold and feel more attached to my material storage. this method also protects you against price spikes in times of high demand a good example of this is leather and silk, silk spiked high in price when ascended armour was released and many players become punished and subject to the hoarders that had kept all their silk to themselves. it happens time and time again.

> > > > >

> > > > > Sorry, but that is a hoarders mentality and not good advice, especially to a new player or in some cases even veteran. The inventory issue aside, which will be another obstacle for newer players:

> > > > >

> > > > > 1. even as a veteran player, it is useful to sell off unneeded materials regularly. Granted a veteran player will know far better which materials he will need in the near future and which he can sell off. Suffice to say, there is tons of stuff which you don't need to hoard for months.

> > > > > 2. this is a new player. A lot of materials he will accumulate will be absolute useless to him for a long time, for example Mystic Coins from login rewards, unless he decides to credit card warrior up and start buying gold left and right. Converting materials you might need in hundreds or thousands of hours from now, in order to get gold for basic upgrades will yield far greater return in the short run and even more so in the long run. Say getting some living world episodes unlocked earlier to gain access to those resources, maps and trinkets/gear or simple things like Salvage-O-matics, Shared Inventory Slots or other QoL things.

> > > > > 3. hoarding protects you against price spikes in the same way it hurts you in times when prices bottom out.

> > > >

> > > > If this was any other game I'd completely agree with you, but in gw2 its so easy to get gear and equipment there's no need, you couldn't have picked a worse example, do not under any circumstances sell your mystic coins for money directly to the TP, if you absolutely need gold from them and them alone at least craft one of the mystic forge weapons with them and convert some of your spirit shards at the same time. mystic coins are an unofficial currency for traders if you sell it will be more difficult to purchase them at buy price and since release these items have only gone up in value and a lot of players (hence it being an unofficial currency) believe this trend will continue. selling and losing 15% and then having to buy back at an even higher price is insanity. just save them you will need them at some point guaranteed.

> > > >

> > > > if you want to play the game getting hit hard every time you want to craft something then sell your mats if not then hoard. by all means sell any gear you pick up that you dont need just always slow sell never sell at the buy listings.

> > >

> > > Mystic Coins are only of value IF you ever craft anything with them. Even then, most of these items are hardly things new players will consider within the first 1k hours or later.

> > >

> > > Same as all resources. Resources in your bank are WORTHLESS until they are utilized. If a new player were to sell his Mystic Coins and get say a Copper-Fed-Salvage-O-Matic, which both would reduce his inventory management times as well as increase his game enjoyment, he would recuperate that potential "future loss", which is not even guaranteed given how prices fluctuate (so in essence even at similar value, the loss is 15%) within days of play.

> > >

> > > The same goes for Laurels. Yes, you might feel great having 1k of them stacked up, but they are useless to you unless utilized. Now there are some things which one should not get, say trinkets, simply because there are far better ways to get them. Yet if a new player were to convert laurels early to get some gold to get faster access to lucrative or time saving upgrades, that investment pays out (and I never mentioned gear, not once. There are enough upgrades a player can/should get which grant access to content or QoL upgrades which new players will be lacking, unless as mentioned they invest heavily in gems and convert those to gold).

> > >

> > > Stop hording, or keep hording, up to you, but at least be aware of the economic approach you are taking to the game and which benefits AND detriments it has.

> >

> > Like I said, this would be controversial people just dont have the willpower, liquid gold is still buying power, have all your gold in mats diversifies your gold and protects you against any spikes or drops. this is advice from some of the richest players in game. if you want to be one of the regular players always struggling for gold whenever you need something then dont take it. if you ever want more gold than the regular player then you need to set yourself apart from them.

> >

>

> Having all your liquid gold in materials makes you subject to the value of those materials WHEN you use them, while liquid gold makes you subject to inflation. There is some value in diversifying, but at the same time, and this is where this is relevant to a new player: storing things which might be of value to one in the far far future, instead of utilizing those resources to gain benefits which are of use now, be it time, better daily rewards, convenience, etc. is just as economically unsound as selling everything immediately to highest buyer.

>

> > you're right though hoard or not it depends entirely on what end goals the player is going for if this advice applies to them, if youre not interested in being rich with all legendaries in all slots etc and just want to play fractals/raids then convert your currencies until your heart's content.

>

> This has nothing to do with being rich. I could right now pick 5 commodities over the last year which made you lose if you had stored and kept them. If you want to talk about being wealthy, looking only at hording is the wrong way to go.

>

> What you are talking about is making educated and responsible use of resources, which players who gain a lot of wealth in-game do. That is not only related to hording. On the contrary. I guarantee you, there is a constant exchange happening here both on the TP as well as on trading platforms. No "rich" player hords materials for the sake of it. They do so because they have use of them. Use which a new player might not have for again thousands of hours and simply keeping the materials now just in case he might need them, and hoping they are not subject to change in value, is bad advice.

nah, save your mats dude, you'll need them eventually

> @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > > > > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > > @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > > > > > > I'd like to add my own little bit of advice here that some people may find a bit controversial :P NEVER SELL ANY MATERIAL on the TP that you loot

> > > > > > > if you plan on playing this game in the thousands of hours you will be almost guaranteed to need every single item you will ever pick up/ collect as loot. the moment you sell something you have immediately lost 15% of its value. its a hard rule to follow as the temptation is there to increase your gold in your wallet however this was made a lot easier for me when I started using https://gw2efficiency.com/ it allowed me to see my liquid gold and feel more attached to my material storage. this method also protects you against price spikes in times of high demand a good example of this is leather and silk, silk spiked high in price when ascended armour was released and many players become punished and subject to the hoarders that had kept all their silk to themselves. it happens time and time again.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Sorry, but that is a hoarders mentality and not good advice, especially to a new player or in some cases even veteran. The inventory issue aside, which will be another obstacle for newer players:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > 1. even as a veteran player, it is useful to sell off unneeded materials regularly. Granted a veteran player will know far better which materials he will need in the near future and which he can sell off. Suffice to say, there is tons of stuff which you don't need to hoard for months.

> > > > > > 2. this is a new player. A lot of materials he will accumulate will be absolute useless to him for a long time, for example Mystic Coins from login rewards, unless he decides to credit card warrior up and start buying gold left and right. Converting materials you might need in hundreds or thousands of hours from now, in order to get gold for basic upgrades will yield far greater return in the short run and even more so in the long run. Say getting some living world episodes unlocked earlier to gain access to those resources, maps and trinkets/gear or simple things like Salvage-O-matics, Shared Inventory Slots or other QoL things.

> > > > > > 3. hoarding protects you against price spikes in the same way it hurts you in times when prices bottom out.

> > > > >

> > > > > If this was any other game I'd completely agree with you, but in gw2 its so easy to get gear and equipment there's no need, you couldn't have picked a worse example, do not under any circumstances sell your mystic coins for money directly to the TP, if you absolutely need gold from them and them alone at least craft one of the mystic forge weapons with them and convert some of your spirit shards at the same time. mystic coins are an unofficial currency for traders if you sell it will be more difficult to purchase them at buy price and since release these items have only gone up in value and a lot of players (hence it being an unofficial currency) believe this trend will continue. selling and losing 15% and then having to buy back at an even higher price is insanity. just save them you will need them at some point guaranteed.

> > > > >

> > > > > if you want to play the game getting hit hard every time you want to craft something then sell your mats if not then hoard. by all means sell any gear you pick up that you dont need just always slow sell never sell at the buy listings.

> > > >

> > > > Mystic Coins are only of value IF you ever craft anything with them. Even then, most of these items are hardly things new players will consider within the first 1k hours or later.

> > > >

> > > > Same as all resources. Resources in your bank are WORTHLESS until they are utilized. If a new player were to sell his Mystic Coins and get say a Copper-Fed-Salvage-O-Matic, which both would reduce his inventory management times as well as increase his game enjoyment, he would recuperate that potential "future loss", which is not even guaranteed given how prices fluctuate (so in essence even at similar value, the loss is 15%) within days of play.

> > > >

> > > > The same goes for Laurels. Yes, you might feel great having 1k of them stacked up, but they are useless to you unless utilized. Now there are some things which one should not get, say trinkets, simply because there are far better ways to get them. Yet if a new player were to convert laurels early to get some gold to get faster access to lucrative or time saving upgrades, that investment pays out (and I never mentioned gear, not once. There are enough upgrades a player can/should get which grant access to content or QoL upgrades which new players will be lacking, unless as mentioned they invest heavily in gems and convert those to gold).

> > > >

> > > > Stop hording, or keep hording, up to you, but at least be aware of the economic approach you are taking to the game and which benefits AND detriments it has.

> > >

> > > Like I said, this would be controversial people just dont have the willpower, liquid gold is still buying power, have all your gold in mats diversifies your gold and protects you against any spikes or drops. this is advice from some of the richest players in game. if you want to be one of the regular players always struggling for gold whenever you need something then dont take it. if you ever want more gold than the regular player then you need to set yourself apart from them.

> > >

> >

> > Having all your liquid gold in materials makes you subject to the value of those materials WHEN you use them, while liquid gold makes you subject to inflation. There is some value in diversifying, but at the same time, and this is where this is relevant to a new player: storing things which might be of value to one in the far far future, instead of utilizing those resources to gain benefits which are of use now, be it time, better daily rewards, convenience, etc. is just as economically unsound as selling everything immediately to highest buyer.

> >

> > > you're right though hoard or not it depends entirely on what end goals the player is going for if this advice applies to them, if youre not interested in being rich with all legendaries in all slots etc and just want to play fractals/raids then convert your currencies until your heart's content.

> >

> > This has nothing to do with being rich. I could right now pick 5 commodities over the last year which made you lose if you had stored and kept them. If you want to talk about being wealthy, looking only at hording is the wrong way to go.

> >

> > What you are talking about is making educated and responsible use of resources, which players who gain a lot of wealth in-game do. That is not only related to hording. On the contrary. I guarantee you, there is a constant exchange happening here both on the TP as well as on trading platforms. No "rich" player hords materials for the sake of it. They do so because they have use of them. Use which a new player might not have for again thousands of hours and simply keeping the materials now just in case he might need them, and hoping they are not subject to change in value, is bad advice.

>

> nah, save your mats dude, you'll need them eventually

This was fun, let's chat again when the game launches on Steam and there is a huge short term influx of new players and everything that goes along with that.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > > > @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > > > > > > > I'd like to add my own little bit of advice here that some people may find a bit controversial :P NEVER SELL ANY MATERIAL on the TP that you loot

> > > > > > > > if you plan on playing this game in the thousands of hours you will be almost guaranteed to need every single item you will ever pick up/ collect as loot. the moment you sell something you have immediately lost 15% of its value. its a hard rule to follow as the temptation is there to increase your gold in your wallet however this was made a lot easier for me when I started using https://gw2efficiency.com/ it allowed me to see my liquid gold and feel more attached to my material storage. this method also protects you against price spikes in times of high demand a good example of this is leather and silk, silk spiked high in price when ascended armour was released and many players become punished and subject to the hoarders that had kept all their silk to themselves. it happens time and time again.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Sorry, but that is a hoarders mentality and not good advice, especially to a new player or in some cases even veteran. The inventory issue aside, which will be another obstacle for newer players:

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > 1. even as a veteran player, it is useful to sell off unneeded materials regularly. Granted a veteran player will know far better which materials he will need in the near future and which he can sell off. Suffice to say, there is tons of stuff which you don't need to hoard for months.

> > > > > > > 2. this is a new player. A lot of materials he will accumulate will be absolute useless to him for a long time, for example Mystic Coins from login rewards, unless he decides to credit card warrior up and start buying gold left and right. Converting materials you might need in hundreds or thousands of hours from now, in order to get gold for basic upgrades will yield far greater return in the short run and even more so in the long run. Say getting some living world episodes unlocked earlier to gain access to those resources, maps and trinkets/gear or simple things like Salvage-O-matics, Shared Inventory Slots or other QoL things.

> > > > > > > 3. hoarding protects you against price spikes in the same way it hurts you in times when prices bottom out.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If this was any other game I'd completely agree with you, but in gw2 its so easy to get gear and equipment there's no need, you couldn't have picked a worse example, do not under any circumstances sell your mystic coins for money directly to the TP, if you absolutely need gold from them and them alone at least craft one of the mystic forge weapons with them and convert some of your spirit shards at the same time. mystic coins are an unofficial currency for traders if you sell it will be more difficult to purchase them at buy price and since release these items have only gone up in value and a lot of players (hence it being an unofficial currency) believe this trend will continue. selling and losing 15% and then having to buy back at an even higher price is insanity. just save them you will need them at some point guaranteed.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > if you want to play the game getting hit hard every time you want to craft something then sell your mats if not then hoard. by all means sell any gear you pick up that you dont need just always slow sell never sell at the buy listings.

> > > > >

> > > > > Mystic Coins are only of value IF you ever craft anything with them. Even then, most of these items are hardly things new players will consider within the first 1k hours or later.

> > > > >

> > > > > Same as all resources. Resources in your bank are WORTHLESS until they are utilized. If a new player were to sell his Mystic Coins and get say a Copper-Fed-Salvage-O-Matic, which both would reduce his inventory management times as well as increase his game enjoyment, he would recuperate that potential "future loss", which is not even guaranteed given how prices fluctuate (so in essence even at similar value, the loss is 15%) within days of play.

> > > > >

> > > > > The same goes for Laurels. Yes, you might feel great having 1k of them stacked up, but they are useless to you unless utilized. Now there are some things which one should not get, say trinkets, simply because there are far better ways to get them. Yet if a new player were to convert laurels early to get some gold to get faster access to lucrative or time saving upgrades, that investment pays out (and I never mentioned gear, not once. There are enough upgrades a player can/should get which grant access to content or QoL upgrades which new players will be lacking, unless as mentioned they invest heavily in gems and convert those to gold).

> > > > >

> > > > > Stop hording, or keep hording, up to you, but at least be aware of the economic approach you are taking to the game and which benefits AND detriments it has.

> > > >

> > > > Like I said, this would be controversial people just dont have the willpower, liquid gold is still buying power, have all your gold in mats diversifies your gold and protects you against any spikes or drops. this is advice from some of the richest players in game. if you want to be one of the regular players always struggling for gold whenever you need something then dont take it. if you ever want more gold than the regular player then you need to set yourself apart from them.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Having all your liquid gold in materials makes you subject to the value of those materials WHEN you use them, while liquid gold makes you subject to inflation. There is some value in diversifying, but at the same time, and this is where this is relevant to a new player: storing things which might be of value to one in the far far future, instead of utilizing those resources to gain benefits which are of use now, be it time, better daily rewards, convenience, etc. is just as economically unsound as selling everything immediately to highest buyer.

> > >

> > > > you're right though hoard or not it depends entirely on what end goals the player is going for if this advice applies to them, if youre not interested in being rich with all legendaries in all slots etc and just want to play fractals/raids then convert your currencies until your heart's content.

> > >

> > > This has nothing to do with being rich. I could right now pick 5 commodities over the last year which made you lose if you had stored and kept them. If you want to talk about being wealthy, looking only at hording is the wrong way to go.

> > >

> > > What you are talking about is making educated and responsible use of resources, which players who gain a lot of wealth in-game do. That is not only related to hording. On the contrary. I guarantee you, there is a constant exchange happening here both on the TP as well as on trading platforms. No "rich" player hords materials for the sake of it. They do so because they have use of them. Use which a new player might not have for again thousands of hours and simply keeping the materials now just in case he might need them, and hoping they are not subject to change in value, is bad advice.

> >

> > nah, save your mats dude, you'll need them eventually

>

> This was fun, let's chat again when the game launches on Steam and there is a huge short term influx of new players and everything that goes along with that.

mats relevent to them will drop as they will drop more sure and there will certainly be lots of money to be made, champ bag skins, exotics, t6, mystic coins, and many more items with slow supply high volume will rise in price whats your point

> @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > > > > > > > > I'd like to add my own little bit of advice here that some people may find a bit controversial :P NEVER SELL ANY MATERIAL on the TP that you loot

> > > > > > > > > if you plan on playing this game in the thousands of hours you will be almost guaranteed to need every single item you will ever pick up/ collect as loot. the moment you sell something you have immediately lost 15% of its value. its a hard rule to follow as the temptation is there to increase your gold in your wallet however this was made a lot easier for me when I started using https://gw2efficiency.com/ it allowed me to see my liquid gold and feel more attached to my material storage. this method also protects you against price spikes in times of high demand a good example of this is leather and silk, silk spiked high in price when ascended armour was released and many players become punished and subject to the hoarders that had kept all their silk to themselves. it happens time and time again.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Sorry, but that is a hoarders mentality and not good advice, especially to a new player or in some cases even veteran. The inventory issue aside, which will be another obstacle for newer players:

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > 1. even as a veteran player, it is useful to sell off unneeded materials regularly. Granted a veteran player will know far better which materials he will need in the near future and which he can sell off. Suffice to say, there is tons of stuff which you don't need to hoard for months.

> > > > > > > > 2. this is a new player. A lot of materials he will accumulate will be absolute useless to him for a long time, for example Mystic Coins from login rewards, unless he decides to credit card warrior up and start buying gold left and right. Converting materials you might need in hundreds or thousands of hours from now, in order to get gold for basic upgrades will yield far greater return in the short run and even more so in the long run. Say getting some living world episodes unlocked earlier to gain access to those resources, maps and trinkets/gear or simple things like Salvage-O-matics, Shared Inventory Slots or other QoL things.

> > > > > > > > 3. hoarding protects you against price spikes in the same way it hurts you in times when prices bottom out.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > If this was any other game I'd completely agree with you, but in gw2 its so easy to get gear and equipment there's no need, you couldn't have picked a worse example, do not under any circumstances sell your mystic coins for money directly to the TP, if you absolutely need gold from them and them alone at least craft one of the mystic forge weapons with them and convert some of your spirit shards at the same time. mystic coins are an unofficial currency for traders if you sell it will be more difficult to purchase them at buy price and since release these items have only gone up in value and a lot of players (hence it being an unofficial currency) believe this trend will continue. selling and losing 15% and then having to buy back at an even higher price is insanity. just save them you will need them at some point guaranteed.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > if you want to play the game getting hit hard every time you want to craft something then sell your mats if not then hoard. by all means sell any gear you pick up that you dont need just always slow sell never sell at the buy listings.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Mystic Coins are only of value IF you ever craft anything with them. Even then, most of these items are hardly things new players will consider within the first 1k hours or later.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Same as all resources. Resources in your bank are WORTHLESS until they are utilized. If a new player were to sell his Mystic Coins and get say a Copper-Fed-Salvage-O-Matic, which both would reduce his inventory management times as well as increase his game enjoyment, he would recuperate that potential "future loss", which is not even guaranteed given how prices fluctuate (so in essence even at similar value, the loss is 15%) within days of play.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The same goes for Laurels. Yes, you might feel great having 1k of them stacked up, but they are useless to you unless utilized. Now there are some things which one should not get, say trinkets, simply because there are far better ways to get them. Yet if a new player were to convert laurels early to get some gold to get faster access to lucrative or time saving upgrades, that investment pays out (and I never mentioned gear, not once. There are enough upgrades a player can/should get which grant access to content or QoL upgrades which new players will be lacking, unless as mentioned they invest heavily in gems and convert those to gold).

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Stop hording, or keep hording, up to you, but at least be aware of the economic approach you are taking to the game and which benefits AND detriments it has.

> > > > >

> > > > > Like I said, this would be controversial people just dont have the willpower, liquid gold is still buying power, have all your gold in mats diversifies your gold and protects you against any spikes or drops. this is advice from some of the richest players in game. if you want to be one of the regular players always struggling for gold whenever you need something then dont take it. if you ever want more gold than the regular player then you need to set yourself apart from them.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Having all your liquid gold in materials makes you subject to the value of those materials WHEN you use them, while liquid gold makes you subject to inflation. There is some value in diversifying, but at the same time, and this is where this is relevant to a new player: storing things which might be of value to one in the far far future, instead of utilizing those resources to gain benefits which are of use now, be it time, better daily rewards, convenience, etc. is just as economically unsound as selling everything immediately to highest buyer.

> > > >

> > > > > you're right though hoard or not it depends entirely on what end goals the player is going for if this advice applies to them, if youre not interested in being rich with all legendaries in all slots etc and just want to play fractals/raids then convert your currencies until your heart's content.

> > > >

> > > > This has nothing to do with being rich. I could right now pick 5 commodities over the last year which made you lose if you had stored and kept them. If you want to talk about being wealthy, looking only at hording is the wrong way to go.

> > > >

> > > > What you are talking about is making educated and responsible use of resources, which players who gain a lot of wealth in-game do. That is not only related to hording. On the contrary. I guarantee you, there is a constant exchange happening here both on the TP as well as on trading platforms. No "rich" player hords materials for the sake of it. They do so because they have use of them. Use which a new player might not have for again thousands of hours and simply keeping the materials now just in case he might need them, and hoping they are not subject to change in value, is bad advice.

> > >

> > > nah, save your mats dude, you'll need them eventually

> >

> > This was fun, let's chat again when the game launches on Steam and there is a huge short term influx of new players and everything that goes along with that.

>

> mats relevent to them will drop as they will drop more sure and there will certainly be lots of money to be made, champ bag skins, exotics, t6, mystic coins, and many more items with slow supply high volume will rise in price whats your point

Pretty much, and let's not forget the login rewards and vast amount of uses for Mystic Coins in those first 100 hours of play. Not sure I'd sign off o that T6 estimate you have. I don't recall needing any T6 materials for a loooong time when I hit 80. New players need gold, bags and gear, all of which is either far cheaper often from drops (named exotic berserker) or purchased off the TP.

Just saying, you can hoard your materials and never be subject to any market deviation and be "safe". Or actually make gold.

Again, only hoarding for the sake of hoarding is not sound financial advice. Let's wait and see shall we.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > > > > > > > > > I'd like to add my own little bit of advice here that some people may find a bit controversial :P NEVER SELL ANY MATERIAL on the TP that you loot

> > > > > > > > > > if you plan on playing this game in the thousands of hours you will be almost guaranteed to need every single item you will ever pick up/ collect as loot. the moment you sell something you have immediately lost 15% of its value. its a hard rule to follow as the temptation is there to increase your gold in your wallet however this was made a lot easier for me when I started using https://gw2efficiency.com/ it allowed me to see my liquid gold and feel more attached to my material storage. this method also protects you against price spikes in times of high demand a good example of this is leather and silk, silk spiked high in price when ascended armour was released and many players become punished and subject to the hoarders that had kept all their silk to themselves. it happens time and time again.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Sorry, but that is a hoarders mentality and not good advice, especially to a new player or in some cases even veteran. The inventory issue aside, which will be another obstacle for newer players:

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > 1. even as a veteran player, it is useful to sell off unneeded materials regularly. Granted a veteran player will know far better which materials he will need in the near future and which he can sell off. Suffice to say, there is tons of stuff which you don't need to hoard for months.

> > > > > > > > > 2. this is a new player. A lot of materials he will accumulate will be absolute useless to him for a long time, for example Mystic Coins from login rewards, unless he decides to credit card warrior up and start buying gold left and right. Converting materials you might need in hundreds or thousands of hours from now, in order to get gold for basic upgrades will yield far greater return in the short run and even more so in the long run. Say getting some living world episodes unlocked earlier to gain access to those resources, maps and trinkets/gear or simple things like Salvage-O-matics, Shared Inventory Slots or other QoL things.

> > > > > > > > > 3. hoarding protects you against price spikes in the same way it hurts you in times when prices bottom out.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > If this was any other game I'd completely agree with you, but in gw2 its so easy to get gear and equipment there's no need, you couldn't have picked a worse example, do not under any circumstances sell your mystic coins for money directly to the TP, if you absolutely need gold from them and them alone at least craft one of the mystic forge weapons with them and convert some of your spirit shards at the same time. mystic coins are an unofficial currency for traders if you sell it will be more difficult to purchase them at buy price and since release these items have only gone up in value and a lot of players (hence it being an unofficial currency) believe this trend will continue. selling and losing 15% and then having to buy back at an even higher price is insanity. just save them you will need them at some point guaranteed.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > if you want to play the game getting hit hard every time you want to craft something then sell your mats if not then hoard. by all means sell any gear you pick up that you dont need just always slow sell never sell at the buy listings.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Mystic Coins are only of value IF you ever craft anything with them. Even then, most of these items are hardly things new players will consider within the first 1k hours or later.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Same as all resources. Resources in your bank are WORTHLESS until they are utilized. If a new player were to sell his Mystic Coins and get say a Copper-Fed-Salvage-O-Matic, which both would reduce his inventory management times as well as increase his game enjoyment, he would recuperate that potential "future loss", which is not even guaranteed given how prices fluctuate (so in essence even at similar value, the loss is 15%) within days of play.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The same goes for Laurels. Yes, you might feel great having 1k of them stacked up, but they are useless to you unless utilized. Now there are some things which one should not get, say trinkets, simply because there are far better ways to get them. Yet if a new player were to convert laurels early to get some gold to get faster access to lucrative or time saving upgrades, that investment pays out (and I never mentioned gear, not once. There are enough upgrades a player can/should get which grant access to content or QoL upgrades which new players will be lacking, unless as mentioned they invest heavily in gems and convert those to gold).

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Stop hording, or keep hording, up to you, but at least be aware of the economic approach you are taking to the game and which benefits AND detriments it has.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Like I said, this would be controversial people just dont have the willpower, liquid gold is still buying power, have all your gold in mats diversifies your gold and protects you against any spikes or drops. this is advice from some of the richest players in game. if you want to be one of the regular players always struggling for gold whenever you need something then dont take it. if you ever want more gold than the regular player then you need to set yourself apart from them.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Having all your liquid gold in materials makes you subject to the value of those materials WHEN you use them, while liquid gold makes you subject to inflation. There is some value in diversifying, but at the same time, and this is where this is relevant to a new player: storing things which might be of value to one in the far far future, instead of utilizing those resources to gain benefits which are of use now, be it time, better daily rewards, convenience, etc. is just as economically unsound as selling everything immediately to highest buyer.

> > > > >

> > > > > > you're right though hoard or not it depends entirely on what end goals the player is going for if this advice applies to them, if youre not interested in being rich with all legendaries in all slots etc and just want to play fractals/raids then convert your currencies until your heart's content.

> > > > >

> > > > > This has nothing to do with being rich. I could right now pick 5 commodities over the last year which made you lose if you had stored and kept them. If you want to talk about being wealthy, looking only at hording is the wrong way to go.

> > > > >

> > > > > What you are talking about is making educated and responsible use of resources, which players who gain a lot of wealth in-game do. That is not only related to hording. On the contrary. I guarantee you, there is a constant exchange happening here both on the TP as well as on trading platforms. No "rich" player hords materials for the sake of it. They do so because they have use of them. Use which a new player might not have for again thousands of hours and simply keeping the materials now just in case he might need them, and hoping they are not subject to change in value, is bad advice.

> > > >

> > > > nah, save your mats dude, you'll need them eventually

> > >

> > > This was fun, let's chat again when the game launches on Steam and there is a huge short term influx of new players and everything that goes along with that.

> >

> > mats relevent to them will drop as they will drop more sure and there will certainly be lots of money to be made, champ bag skins, exotics, t6, mystic coins, and many more items with slow supply high volume will rise in price whats your point

>

> Pretty much, and let's not forget the login rewards and vast amount of uses for Mystic Coins in those first 100 hours of play. Not sure I'd sign off o that T6 estimate you have. I don't recall needing any T6 materials for a loooong time when I hit 80. New players need gold, bags and gear, all of which is either far cheaper often from drops (named exotic berserker) or purchased off the TP.

>

> Just saying, you can hoard your materials and never be subject to any market deviation and be "safe". Or actually make gold.

>

> Again, only hoarding for the sake of hoarding is not sound financial advice. Let's wait and see shall we.

this isnt real life, its a game hoarding materials that you aquire in bulk is almost always a good shout, anet have consitently addressed over abundance with high supply low demand bar one mat the t6 pile of putrid essence and its children. I made thousands of gold off silk and I made thousands of gold off leather. I have mats in guild banks in the 10's of thousands for when anet address another abundance. you can debate all you want however

If you're interested in only playing the content with optimal gear - sell all your mats and play the game.

if youre interested in aqquiring all the long term goal items in game and wish to also go past that. hoard like there is no tomorrow.

the only way to beat hoarders in this game is to exploit other players and take their skill shards that's it.

> @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > I'd like to add my own little bit of advice here that some people may find a bit controversial :P NEVER SELL ANY MATERIAL on the TP that you loot

> > > > > > > > > > > if you plan on playing this game in the thousands of hours you will be almost guaranteed to need every single item you will ever pick up/ collect as loot. the moment you sell something you have immediately lost 15% of its value. its a hard rule to follow as the temptation is there to increase your gold in your wallet however this was made a lot easier for me when I started using https://gw2efficiency.com/ it allowed me to see my liquid gold and feel more attached to my material storage. this method also protects you against price spikes in times of high demand a good example of this is leather and silk, silk spiked high in price when ascended armour was released and many players become punished and subject to the hoarders that had kept all their silk to themselves. it happens time and time again.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Sorry, but that is a hoarders mentality and not good advice, especially to a new player or in some cases even veteran. The inventory issue aside, which will be another obstacle for newer players:

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > 1. even as a veteran player, it is useful to sell off unneeded materials regularly. Granted a veteran player will know far better which materials he will need in the near future and which he can sell off. Suffice to say, there is tons of stuff which you don't need to hoard for months.

> > > > > > > > > > 2. this is a new player. A lot of materials he will accumulate will be absolute useless to him for a long time, for example Mystic Coins from login rewards, unless he decides to credit card warrior up and start buying gold left and right. Converting materials you might need in hundreds or thousands of hours from now, in order to get gold for basic upgrades will yield far greater return in the short run and even more so in the long run. Say getting some living world episodes unlocked earlier to gain access to those resources, maps and trinkets/gear or simple things like Salvage-O-matics, Shared Inventory Slots or other QoL things.

> > > > > > > > > > 3. hoarding protects you against price spikes in the same way it hurts you in times when prices bottom out.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > If this was any other game I'd completely agree with you, but in gw2 its so easy to get gear and equipment there's no need, you couldn't have picked a worse example, do not under any circumstances sell your mystic coins for money directly to the TP, if you absolutely need gold from them and them alone at least craft one of the mystic forge weapons with them and convert some of your spirit shards at the same time. mystic coins are an unofficial currency for traders if you sell it will be more difficult to purchase them at buy price and since release these items have only gone up in value and a lot of players (hence it being an unofficial currency) believe this trend will continue. selling and losing 15% and then having to buy back at an even higher price is insanity. just save them you will need them at some point guaranteed.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > if you want to play the game getting hit hard every time you want to craft something then sell your mats if not then hoard. by all means sell any gear you pick up that you dont need just always slow sell never sell at the buy listings.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Mystic Coins are only of value IF you ever craft anything with them. Even then, most of these items are hardly things new players will consider within the first 1k hours or later.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Same as all resources. Resources in your bank are WORTHLESS until they are utilized. If a new player were to sell his Mystic Coins and get say a Copper-Fed-Salvage-O-Matic, which both would reduce his inventory management times as well as increase his game enjoyment, he would recuperate that potential "future loss", which is not even guaranteed given how prices fluctuate (so in essence even at similar value, the loss is 15%) within days of play.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > The same goes for Laurels. Yes, you might feel great having 1k of them stacked up, but they are useless to you unless utilized. Now there are some things which one should not get, say trinkets, simply because there are far better ways to get them. Yet if a new player were to convert laurels early to get some gold to get faster access to lucrative or time saving upgrades, that investment pays out (and I never mentioned gear, not once. There are enough upgrades a player can/should get which grant access to content or QoL upgrades which new players will be lacking, unless as mentioned they invest heavily in gems and convert those to gold).

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Stop hording, or keep hording, up to you, but at least be aware of the economic approach you are taking to the game and which benefits AND detriments it has.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Like I said, this would be controversial people just dont have the willpower, liquid gold is still buying power, have all your gold in mats diversifies your gold and protects you against any spikes or drops. this is advice from some of the richest players in game. if you want to be one of the regular players always struggling for gold whenever you need something then dont take it. if you ever want more gold than the regular player then you need to set yourself apart from them.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Having all your liquid gold in materials makes you subject to the value of those materials WHEN you use them, while liquid gold makes you subject to inflation. There is some value in diversifying, but at the same time, and this is where this is relevant to a new player: storing things which might be of value to one in the far far future, instead of utilizing those resources to gain benefits which are of use now, be it time, better daily rewards, convenience, etc. is just as economically unsound as selling everything immediately to highest buyer.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > > you're right though hoard or not it depends entirely on what end goals the player is going for if this advice applies to them, if youre not interested in being rich with all legendaries in all slots etc and just want to play fractals/raids then convert your currencies until your heart's content.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > This has nothing to do with being rich. I could right now pick 5 commodities over the last year which made you lose if you had stored and kept them. If you want to talk about being wealthy, looking only at hording is the wrong way to go.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > What you are talking about is making educated and responsible use of resources, which players who gain a lot of wealth in-game do. That is not only related to hording. On the contrary. I guarantee you, there is a constant exchange happening here both on the TP as well as on trading platforms. No "rich" player hords materials for the sake of it. They do so because they have use of them. Use which a new player might not have for again thousands of hours and simply keeping the materials now just in case he might need them, and hoping they are not subject to change in value, is bad advice.

> > > > >

> > > > > nah, save your mats dude, you'll need them eventually

> > > >

> > > > This was fun, let's chat again when the game launches on Steam and there is a huge short term influx of new players and everything that goes along with that.

> > >

> > > mats relevent to them will drop as they will drop more sure and there will certainly be lots of money to be made, champ bag skins, exotics, t6, mystic coins, and many more items with slow supply high volume will rise in price whats your point

> >

> > Pretty much, and let's not forget the login rewards and vast amount of uses for Mystic Coins in those first 100 hours of play. Not sure I'd sign off o that T6 estimate you have. I don't recall needing any T6 materials for a loooong time when I hit 80. New players need gold, bags and gear, all of which is either far cheaper often from drops (named exotic berserker) or purchased off the TP.

> >

> > Just saying, you can hoard your materials and never be subject to any market deviation and be "safe". Or actually make gold.

> >

> > Again, only hoarding for the sake of hoarding is not sound financial advice. Let's wait and see shall we.

>

> this isnt real life, its a game hoarding materials that you aquire in bulk is almost always a good shout, anet have consitently addressed over abundance with high supply low demand bar one mat the t6 pile of putrid essence and its children. I made thousands of gold off silk and I made thousands of gold off leather. I have mats in guild banks in the 10's of thousands for when anet address another abundance. you can debate all you want however

>

Yes, they address market issues. Which can affect you both ways when you are invested in materials and items. See 2 years ago the Wintersday drop rate change to Sigil of Concentration, or the rework of Runes and Sigils.

Storing materials which you do not needed is just that: betting on them increasing in value, which can happen but is not guaranteed and it certainly can go both ways. The 15% tax is the only detriment a player faces, and that can easily be outperformed with some simple early game acquisitions. For example:

- getting 2-3 characters to lucrative jumping puzzles in living world episodes for daily Season 3 materials

- gaining access to lucrative or fast access of ascended trinkets living world maps

- gaining access to home nodes earlier which will then start to recuperate their value faster

- gaining QoL upgrades which reduce time spent on inventory management

- etc.

All of those upgrades are well worth a conversion, especially early on, for a new player and will pay for themselves WITHOUT any risk to market changes.

> If you're interested in only playing the content with optimal gear - sell all your mats and play the game.

> if youre interested in aqquiring all the long term goal items in game and wish to also go past that. hoard like there is no tomorrow.

>

> the only way to beat hoarders in this game is to exploit other players and take their skill shards that's it.

I don't hoard, I don't exploit, and I still managed to accumulate 6 legendary armors, over 20 legendary weapons, all legendary back pieces and trinkets as well as over 70 ascended armors. I've made thousands of gold in cyclical value changes of materials and items on the TP without hoarding myself.

I use my materials and resources as needed and that is the advice I pass on to new players.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > I'd like to add my own little bit of advice here that some people may find a bit controversial :P NEVER SELL ANY MATERIAL on the TP that you loot

> > > > > > > > > > > > if you plan on playing this game in the thousands of hours you will be almost guaranteed to need every single item you will ever pick up/ collect as loot. the moment you sell something you have immediately lost 15% of its value. its a hard rule to follow as the temptation is there to increase your gold in your wallet however this was made a lot easier for me when I started using https://gw2efficiency.com/ it allowed me to see my liquid gold and feel more attached to my material storage. this method also protects you against price spikes in times of high demand a good example of this is leather and silk, silk spiked high in price when ascended armour was released and many players become punished and subject to the hoarders that had kept all their silk to themselves. it happens time and time again.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > Sorry, but that is a hoarders mentality and not good advice, especially to a new player or in some cases even veteran. The inventory issue aside, which will be another obstacle for newer players:

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > 1. even as a veteran player, it is useful to sell off unneeded materials regularly. Granted a veteran player will know far better which materials he will need in the near future and which he can sell off. Suffice to say, there is tons of stuff which you don't need to hoard for months.

> > > > > > > > > > > 2. this is a new player. A lot of materials he will accumulate will be absolute useless to him for a long time, for example Mystic Coins from login rewards, unless he decides to credit card warrior up and start buying gold left and right. Converting materials you might need in hundreds or thousands of hours from now, in order to get gold for basic upgrades will yield far greater return in the short run and even more so in the long run. Say getting some living world episodes unlocked earlier to gain access to those resources, maps and trinkets/gear or simple things like Salvage-O-matics, Shared Inventory Slots or other QoL things.

> > > > > > > > > > > 3. hoarding protects you against price spikes in the same way it hurts you in times when prices bottom out.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > If this was any other game I'd completely agree with you, but in gw2 its so easy to get gear and equipment there's no need, you couldn't have picked a worse example, do not under any circumstances sell your mystic coins for money directly to the TP, if you absolutely need gold from them and them alone at least craft one of the mystic forge weapons with them and convert some of your spirit shards at the same time. mystic coins are an unofficial currency for traders if you sell it will be more difficult to purchase them at buy price and since release these items have only gone up in value and a lot of players (hence it being an unofficial currency) believe this trend will continue. selling and losing 15% and then having to buy back at an even higher price is insanity. just save them you will need them at some point guaranteed.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > if you want to play the game getting hit hard every time you want to craft something then sell your mats if not then hoard. by all means sell any gear you pick up that you dont need just always slow sell never sell at the buy listings.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Mystic Coins are only of value IF you ever craft anything with them. Even then, most of these items are hardly things new players will consider within the first 1k hours or later.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Same as all resources. Resources in your bank are WORTHLESS until they are utilized. If a new player were to sell his Mystic Coins and get say a Copper-Fed-Salvage-O-Matic, which both would reduce his inventory management times as well as increase his game enjoyment, he would recuperate that potential "future loss", which is not even guaranteed given how prices fluctuate (so in essence even at similar value, the loss is 15%) within days of play.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > The same goes for Laurels. Yes, you might feel great having 1k of them stacked up, but they are useless to you unless utilized. Now there are some things which one should not get, say trinkets, simply because there are far better ways to get them. Yet if a new player were to convert laurels early to get some gold to get faster access to lucrative or time saving upgrades, that investment pays out (and I never mentioned gear, not once. There are enough upgrades a player can/should get which grant access to content or QoL upgrades which new players will be lacking, unless as mentioned they invest heavily in gems and convert those to gold).

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Stop hording, or keep hording, up to you, but at least be aware of the economic approach you are taking to the game and which benefits AND detriments it has.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Like I said, this would be controversial people just dont have the willpower, liquid gold is still buying power, have all your gold in mats diversifies your gold and protects you against any spikes or drops. this is advice from some of the richest players in game. if you want to be one of the regular players always struggling for gold whenever you need something then dont take it. if you ever want more gold than the regular player then you need to set yourself apart from them.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Having all your liquid gold in materials makes you subject to the value of those materials WHEN you use them, while liquid gold makes you subject to inflation. There is some value in diversifying, but at the same time, and this is where this is relevant to a new player: storing things which might be of value to one in the far far future, instead of utilizing those resources to gain benefits which are of use now, be it time, better daily rewards, convenience, etc. is just as economically unsound as selling everything immediately to highest buyer.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > you're right though hoard or not it depends entirely on what end goals the player is going for if this advice applies to them, if youre not interested in being rich with all legendaries in all slots etc and just want to play fractals/raids then convert your currencies until your heart's content.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > This has nothing to do with being rich. I could right now pick 5 commodities over the last year which made you lose if you had stored and kept them. If you want to talk about being wealthy, looking only at hording is the wrong way to go.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > What you are talking about is making educated and responsible use of resources, which players who gain a lot of wealth in-game do. That is not only related to hording. On the contrary. I guarantee you, there is a constant exchange happening here both on the TP as well as on trading platforms. No "rich" player hords materials for the sake of it. They do so because they have use of them. Use which a new player might not have for again thousands of hours and simply keeping the materials now just in case he might need them, and hoping they are not subject to change in value, is bad advice.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > nah, save your mats dude, you'll need them eventually

> > > > >

> > > > > This was fun, let's chat again when the game launches on Steam and there is a huge short term influx of new players and everything that goes along with that.

> > > >

> > > > mats relevent to them will drop as they will drop more sure and there will certainly be lots of money to be made, champ bag skins, exotics, t6, mystic coins, and many more items with slow supply high volume will rise in price whats your point

> > >

> > > Pretty much, and let's not forget the login rewards and vast amount of uses for Mystic Coins in those first 100 hours of play. Not sure I'd sign off o that T6 estimate you have. I don't recall needing any T6 materials for a loooong time when I hit 80. New players need gold, bags and gear, all of which is either far cheaper often from drops (named exotic berserker) or purchased off the TP.

> > >

> > > Just saying, you can hoard your materials and never be subject to any market deviation and be "safe". Or actually make gold.

> > >

> > > Again, only hoarding for the sake of hoarding is not sound financial advice. Let's wait and see shall we.

> >

> > this isnt real life, its a game hoarding materials that you aquire in bulk is almost always a good shout, anet have consitently addressed over abundance with high supply low demand bar one mat the t6 pile of putrid essence and its children. I made thousands of gold off silk and I made thousands of gold off leather. I have mats in guild banks in the 10's of thousands for when anet address another abundance. you can debate all you want however

> >

>

> Yes, they address market issues. Which can affect you both ways when you are invested in materials and items. See 2 years ago the Wintersday drop rate change to Sigil of Concentration, or the rework of Runes and Sigils.

>

> Storing materials which you do not needed is just that: betting on them increasing in value, which can happen but is not guaranteed and it certainly can go both ways. The 15% tax is the only detriment a player faces, and that can easily be outperformed with some simple early game acquisitions. For example:

> - getting 2-3 characters to lucrative jumping puzzles in living world episodes for daily Season 3 materials

> - gaining access to lucrative or fast access of ascended trinkets living world maps

> - gaining access to home nodes earlier which will then start to recuperate their value faster

> - gaining QoL upgrades which reduce time spent on inventory management

> - etc.

>

> All of those upgrades are well worth a conversion, especially early on, for a new player and will pay for themselves WITHOUT any risk to market changes.

>

> > If you're interested in only playing the content with optimal gear - sell all your mats and play the game.

> > if youre interested in aqquiring all the long term goal items in game and wish to also go past that. hoard like there is no tomorrow.

> >

> > the only way to beat hoarders in this game is to exploit other players and take their skill shards that's it.

>

> I don't hoard, I don't exploit, and I still managed to accumulate 6 legendary armors, over 20 legendary weapons, all legendary back pieces and trinkets as well as over 70 ascended armors. I've made thousands of gold in cyclical value changes of materials and items on the TP without hoarding myself.

>

> I use my materials and resources as needed and that is the advice I pass on to new players.

I still strongly disagree, this game is easier than ever in the past 8 years to get gold, maybe advice to convert currencies and sell mats at the start was a good idea however with how the amount of currencies have diluted they are slower to accrue and will cause some major headaches for certain at some point in the future.

Gold is the easiest currency to get a hold of in 2020 few examples below bar fractals new players can quickly prepare for.

daily 2g reward

PvP league rewards

Fractals trophies

Auric basin bauble farm

verdant brink bauble farm

what I'm trying to avoid is spreading this mentality that you can just sell your mats for gold and then this mentality carrying on throughout the life cycle in to later hours of gameplay.

> @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > @"RedCobra.7693" said:

> > > > > > > > > > > > > I'd like to add my own little bit of advice here that some people may find a bit controversial :P NEVER SELL ANY MATERIAL on the TP that you loot

> > > > > > > > > > > > > if you plan on playing this game in the thousands of hours you will be almost guaranteed to need every single item you will ever pick up/ collect as loot. the moment you sell something you have immediately lost 15% of its value. its a hard rule to follow as the temptation is there to increase your gold in your wallet however this was made a lot easier for me when I started using https://gw2efficiency.com/ it allowed me to see my liquid gold and feel more attached to my material storage. this method also protects you against price spikes in times of high demand a good example of this is leather and silk, silk spiked high in price when ascended armour was released and many players become punished and subject to the hoarders that had kept all their silk to themselves. it happens time and time again.

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > Sorry, but that is a hoarders mentality and not good advice, especially to a new player or in some cases even veteran. The inventory issue aside, which will be another obstacle for newer players:

> > > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > 1. even as a veteran player, it is useful to sell off unneeded materials regularly. Granted a veteran player will know far better which materials he will need in the near future and which he can sell off. Suffice to say, there is tons of stuff which you don't need to hoard for months.

> > > > > > > > > > > > 2. this is a new player. A lot of materials he will accumulate will be absolute useless to him for a long time, for example Mystic Coins from login rewards, unless he decides to credit card warrior up and start buying gold left and right. Converting materials you might need in hundreds or thousands of hours from now, in order to get gold for basic upgrades will yield far greater return in the short run and even more so in the long run. Say getting some living world episodes unlocked earlier to gain access to those resources, maps and trinkets/gear or simple things like Salvage-O-matics, Shared Inventory Slots or other QoL things.

> > > > > > > > > > > > 3. hoarding protects you against price spikes in the same way it hurts you in times when prices bottom out.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > If this was any other game I'd completely agree with you, but in gw2 its so easy to get gear and equipment there's no need, you couldn't have picked a worse example, do not under any circumstances sell your mystic coins for money directly to the TP, if you absolutely need gold from them and them alone at least craft one of the mystic forge weapons with them and convert some of your spirit shards at the same time. mystic coins are an unofficial currency for traders if you sell it will be more difficult to purchase them at buy price and since release these items have only gone up in value and a lot of players (hence it being an unofficial currency) believe this trend will continue. selling and losing 15% and then having to buy back at an even higher price is insanity. just save them you will need them at some point guaranteed.

> > > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > if you want to play the game getting hit hard every time you want to craft something then sell your mats if not then hoard. by all means sell any gear you pick up that you dont need just always slow sell never sell at the buy listings.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Mystic Coins are only of value IF you ever craft anything with them. Even then, most of these items are hardly things new players will consider within the first 1k hours or later.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Same as all resources. Resources in your bank are WORTHLESS until they are utilized. If a new player were to sell his Mystic Coins and get say a Copper-Fed-Salvage-O-Matic, which both would reduce his inventory management times as well as increase his game enjoyment, he would recuperate that potential "future loss", which is not even guaranteed given how prices fluctuate (so in essence even at similar value, the loss is 15%) within days of play.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > The same goes for Laurels. Yes, you might feel great having 1k of them stacked up, but they are useless to you unless utilized. Now there are some things which one should not get, say trinkets, simply because there are far better ways to get them. Yet if a new player were to convert laurels early to get some gold to get faster access to lucrative or time saving upgrades, that investment pays out (and I never mentioned gear, not once. There are enough upgrades a player can/should get which grant access to content or QoL upgrades which new players will be lacking, unless as mentioned they invest heavily in gems and convert those to gold).

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Stop hording, or keep hording, up to you, but at least be aware of the economic approach you are taking to the game and which benefits AND detriments it has.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Like I said, this would be controversial people just dont have the willpower, liquid gold is still buying power, have all your gold in mats diversifies your gold and protects you against any spikes or drops. this is advice from some of the richest players in game. if you want to be one of the regular players always struggling for gold whenever you need something then dont take it. if you ever want more gold than the regular player then you need to set yourself apart from them.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Having all your liquid gold in materials makes you subject to the value of those materials WHEN you use them, while liquid gold makes you subject to inflation. There is some value in diversifying, but at the same time, and this is where this is relevant to a new player: storing things which might be of value to one in the far far future, instead of utilizing those resources to gain benefits which are of use now, be it time, better daily rewards, convenience, etc. is just as economically unsound as selling everything immediately to highest buyer.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > you're right though hoard or not it depends entirely on what end goals the player is going for if this advice applies to them, if youre not interested in being rich with all legendaries in all slots etc and just want to play fractals/raids then convert your currencies until your heart's content.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > This has nothing to do with being rich. I could right now pick 5 commodities over the last year which made you lose if you had stored and kept them. If you want to talk about being wealthy, looking only at hording is the wrong way to go.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > What you are talking about is making educated and responsible use of resources, which players who gain a lot of wealth in-game do. That is not only related to hording. On the contrary. I guarantee you, there is a constant exchange happening here both on the TP as well as on trading platforms. No "rich" player hords materials for the sake of it. They do so because they have use of them. Use which a new player might not have for again thousands of hours and simply keeping the materials now just in case he might need them, and hoping they are not subject to change in value, is bad advice.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > nah, save your mats dude, you'll need them eventually

> > > > > >

> > > > > > This was fun, let's chat again when the game launches on Steam and there is a huge short term influx of new players and everything that goes along with that.

> > > > >

> > > > > mats relevent to them will drop as they will drop more sure and there will certainly be lots of money to be made, champ bag skins, exotics, t6, mystic coins, and many more items with slow supply high volume will rise in price whats your point

> > > >

> > > > Pretty much, and let's not forget the login rewards and vast amount of uses for Mystic Coins in those first 100 hours of play. Not sure I'd sign off o that T6 estimate you have. I don't recall needing any T6 materials for a loooong time when I hit 80. New players need gold, bags and gear, all of which is either far cheaper often from drops (named exotic berserker) or purchased off the TP.

> > > >

> > > > Just saying, you can hoard your materials and never be subject to any market deviation and be "safe". Or actually make gold.

> > > >

> > > > Again, only hoarding for the sake of hoarding is not sound financial advice. Let's wait and see shall we.

> > >

> > > this isnt real life, its a game hoarding materials that you aquire in bulk is almost always a good shout, anet have consitently addressed over abundance with high supply low demand bar one mat the t6 pile of putrid essence and its children. I made thousands of gold off silk and I made thousands of gold off leather. I have mats in guild banks in the 10's of thousands for when anet address another abundance. you can debate all you want however

> > >

> >

> > Yes, they address market issues. Which can affect you both ways when you are invested in materials and items. See 2 years ago the Wintersday drop rate change to Sigil of Concentration, or the rework of Runes and Sigils.

> >

> > Storing materials which you do not needed is just that: betting on them increasing in value, which can happen but is not guaranteed and it certainly can go both ways. The 15% tax is the only detriment a player faces, and that can easily be outperformed with some simple early game acquisitions. For example:

> > - getting 2-3 characters to lucrative jumping puzzles in living world episodes for daily Season 3 materials

> > - gaining access to lucrative or fast access of ascended trinkets living world maps

> > - gaining access to home nodes earlier which will then start to recuperate their value faster

> > - gaining QoL upgrades which reduce time spent on inventory management

> > - etc.

> >

> > All of those upgrades are well worth a conversion, especially early on, for a new player and will pay for themselves WITHOUT any risk to market changes.

> >

> > > If you're interested in only playing the content with optimal gear - sell all your mats and play the game.

> > > if youre interested in aqquiring all the long term goal items in game and wish to also go past that. hoard like there is no tomorrow.

> > >

> > > the only way to beat hoarders in this game is to exploit other players and take their skill shards that's it.

> >

> > I don't hoard, I don't exploit, and I still managed to accumulate 6 legendary armors, over 20 legendary weapons, all legendary back pieces and trinkets as well as over 70 ascended armors. I've made thousands of gold in cyclical value changes of materials and items on the TP without hoarding myself.

> >

> > I use my materials and resources as needed and that is the advice I pass on to new players.

>

> I still strongly disagree, this game is easier than ever in the past 8 years to get gold, maybe advice to convert currencies and sell mats at the start was a good idea however with how the amount of currencies have diluted they are slower to accrue and will cause some major headaches for certain at some point in the future.

>

> Gold is the easiest currency to get a hold of in 2020 few examples below bar fractals new players can quickly prepare for.

> daily 2g reward

> PvP league rewards

> Fractals trophies

> Auric basin bauble farm

> verdant brink bauble farm

>

> what I'm trying to avoid is spreading this mentality that you can just sell your mats for gold and then this mentality carrying on throughout the life cycle in to later hours of gameplay.

Not sure what you are implying. I never said that players should sell their materials for gold without reason, not once. That's what you might have read, but that is certainly not what I advised. In that case reread what I wrote.

Conversion between resources only makes sense if there is a goal behind it. Obviously just always selling materials for gold makes no sense if that gold is not put to use. I've given ample exmaples which show purpose and increased return which would make sense for a new player because they are safe returns for their investment. Which can be sped up with selling materials which a new player might not need.

Conversion of materials into gold makes sense if one seeks safety from market fluctuation or one expects a serious drop in value, keeping resources as materials or items as safety against inflation and market upturns.

I never advised to convert materials into gold just for the sake of it.

The ease of gold acquisition is irrelevant if we assume that concerting resources gives access to more gold. All the examples I gave directly benefit a new player as soon as they can get them. If they convert useless resources to get those benefits earlier, they also reap the returns earlier instead of having the resources lay useless in their bank.

I have a feeling you are misunderstanding investment and consumption. Converting resources into gold as method to gain access to more lucrative investments makes sense. Converting resources into gold for consumption makes no sense if the goal is acquisition of wealth. All i am saying is: there are very sensible early game acqusitions which can be made which would increase wealth generation.

Hey all,

Thanks again for the feedback, interesting to see feedback from people on both sides of the fence. I've decided to sell things I have no immediate use for for the most part to get some gold to buy a decent set of starter gear for my toon. I'll also be looking to save enough gold to purchase the story chapters I missed to buy extra content first and foremost.

Things like bank storage, expansion and a copper salvage machine may come next, though we'll see how well I can farm gold to unlock these.

Thanks again for all the opinions you've given, lots of food for thought!

Vincible