NEW LVL80 NECRO PLAYER

HELVETICA.1692

Hello, i'm a new necro player who reached lvl 80 (using lvl booster though)

I'm confused, what should i do first?

- Which espec should i pick first? Reaper/Scourage?

- Which armor/weapon should i use for open world/story? And which stat? Condi/power?

- Any cheap build? :)

I like to see higher damage numbers but dont mind taking up hybrid damage/survivability roles

Thanks!

unless you are super in love with the core necro - use one of the elite specs.

but be ready to get called things for playing "necro" in pve. (raids, fractals)

there are builds for power and condition on each spec - but compared to other classes, they all underperform in anything they do. (except for having the biggest life-pool and except wvw ofc).

google for them - use youtube (youtuber Brazil e.g.) - look for what you like and hope for some changes to be wanted in pve IF you like pve.

open world i would suggest reaper on condition + reaper rune + parasitic contagion (trait in curses) + deathly chill (trait in reaper) and using shouts.

its insanely easy and rewarding. pulling and killing many mobs quite fast. its durable vs champions because of the big lifeleech.

as for the weapons. staff/greatsword or scepter+anything/GS or Staff, but it doesnt matter that much.

something similar to this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJAWRnMbClbitbCWbC0bClgBLKBEAKXxDxkYUE-jFiHQB0T9HNqEkc6Co1TAggK/EwFAYd7PAgDBApAWUaE-w

adjust as you like and feel comfortable (e.g. the gear, can be almost anything with condi, since its open world we are talking about).

personally i play something like the following.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJAWRnMbCt0gt2AO2A0biFvBjKCECGUxLwHYGcqBEASAA-jVRSwAQV/RkSQA7PQTXwElfkCIilRA-w

its power and i feel very comfortable. however there are a lot better options than this (e.g. spite instead of blood magic; or less crit-chance, but more vitality and ferocity via rune of the wurm/different gear and compensated crit chance via decimate defense (trait in reaper))

I play condition reaper . Went down spite, curses and reaper so I could make my blind (shroud 2 and greatsword 4) chill and with the fear chilling too (death shroud 3 and staff 5) i then traited up so chill bleeds and vul foes (greatsword auto, greatsword 5 , Spector grasp (I think it’s called . the hands Spector really handy for mobbing even with cooldown) , suffer (nice chill shout also transferring a condition to a foe ) , chilled to the bone ( freezes , gives stability and best of all chills , death shroud 5 followed by 4 for the high stack in bleed and vul ) . The reason I pick the poison cloud for my last utility is for another aoe attack (stacks of poison) but also for a move I can use greatsword 2 combo field wise for some extra poison even if it does not last long . Best thing I can suggest is experiment. Well of darkness with the blind trait is quite nice as well as if you have tunes that allows all the shouts you have freeze . Iv never tried raiding as necro cuz of pretty much all the hate I hear about them and raiding

> @Aetatis.5418 said:

> unless you are super in love with the core necro - use one of the elite specs.

> but be ready to get called things for playing "necro" in pve. (raids, fractals)

>

> there are builds for power and condition on each spec - but compared to other classes, they all underperform in anything they do. (except for having the biggest life-pool and except wvw ofc).

> google for them - use youtube (youtuber Brazil e.g.) - look for what you like and hope for some changes to be wanted in pve IF you like pve.

>

> open world i would suggest reaper on condition + reaper rune + parasitic contagion (trait in curses) + deathly chill (trait in reaper) and using shouts.

> its insanely easy and rewarding. pulling and killing many mobs quite fast. its durable vs champions because of the big lifeleech.

> as for the weapons. staff/greatsword or scepter+anything/GS or Staff, but it doesnt matter that much.

>

> something similar to this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJAWRnMbClbitbCWbC0bClgBLKBEAKXxDxkYUE-jFiHQB0T9HNqEkc6Co1TAggK/EwFAYd7PAgDBApAWUaE-w

> adjust as you like and feel comfortable (e.g. the gear, can be almost anything with condi, since its open world we are talking about).

>

> personally i play something like the following.

> http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJAWRnMbCt0gt2AO2A0biFvBjKCECGUxLwHYGcqBEASAA-jVRSwAQV/RkSQA7PQTXwElfkCIilRA-w

> its power and i feel very comfortable. however there are a lot better options than this (e.g. spite instead of blood magic; or less crit-chance, but more vitality and ferocity via rune of the wurm/different gear and compensated crit chance via decimate defense (trait in reaper))

>

Well, i'm not a reaper yet.

Anyhow to get full reaper?

Thanks for the information though!

I'll test it later, except the armor is viper, which is an ascended set of armor right?

For a cheap open world build I just recommend you go power reaper first. Berserker gear is easy to get and power is fine for open world and even fractals. Condi reaper also doesn't come online until one of the last traits so it works. I loved being a minion based reaper during heart of thorns and I think it's a really strong survivable build for the open world and learning fractals. I used greatsword and axe/warhorn going spite, death, reaper, but you could replace death with blood or soul reaping if you didn't want to have super buffed minions and extra tankiness. If you decide to go condi of reaper or scourge the cheap sets for just open world would be rampagers mostly with carrion being ok. Scourge wears pretty much all vipers in best in slot gear while reaper actually only needs a few pieces of vipers and a bunch of sinisters. When you have the time, I would definately unlock both specialization because they are both very fun. I am sure a power scourge would also be ok in open world, but since the nerfs (bug fixes) it lost a lot of its damage.

> @Exqq.7451 said:

> If you have not invested too much yet I would suggest leveling up another character as a different profession?

Exactly this. Now you don't even know what to do in game, it's a common mistake of new players. Don't use booster, learn game by levelling. Meta builds often provides top dps but there is no point for that, because you don't know basics.

Another thing is that since game release, necromancer is worst class unwanted in endgame team content. You can solo story, that's all.

My advice is to take any other class.

> @HELVETICA.1692 said:

> > @Aetatis.5418 said:

> > unless you are super in love with the core necro - use one of the elite specs.

> > but be ready to get called things for playing "necro" in pve. (raids, fractals)

> >

> > there are builds for power and condition on each spec - but compared to other classes, they all underperform in anything they do. (except for having the biggest life-pool and except wvw ofc).

> > google for them - use youtube (youtuber Brazil e.g.) - look for what you like and hope for some changes to be wanted in pve IF you like pve.

> >

> > open world i would suggest reaper on condition + reaper rune + parasitic contagion (trait in curses) + deathly chill (trait in reaper) and using shouts.

> > its insanely easy and rewarding. pulling and killing many mobs quite fast. its durable vs champions because of the big lifeleech.

> > as for the weapons. staff/greatsword or scepter+anything/GS or Staff, but it doesnt matter that much.

> >

> > something similar to this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJAWRnMbClbitbCWbC0bClgBLKBEAKXxDxkYUE-jFiHQB0T9HNqEkc6Co1TAggK/EwFAYd7PAgDBApAWUaE-w

> > adjust as you like and feel comfortable (e.g. the gear, can be almost anything with condi, since its open world we are talking about).

> >

> > personally i play something like the following.

> > http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJAWRnMbCt0gt2AO2A0biFvBjKCECGUxLwHYGcqBEASAA-jVRSwAQV/RkSQA7PQTXwElfkCIilRA-w

> > its power and i feel very comfortable. however there are a lot better options than this (e.g. spite instead of blood magic; or less crit-chance, but more vitality and ferocity via rune of the wurm/different gear and compensated crit chance via decimate defense (trait in reaper))

> >

>

> Well, i'm not a reaper yet.

> Anyhow to get full reaper?

>

> Thanks for the information though!

> I'll test it later, except the armor is viper, which is an ascended set of armor right?

as is said somewhere in the text. anything with condition damage works. viper ist just one of the best. it can be exotic aswell (ofc) since there is a merely 5% stat change from exotic to ascended. dont you worry man.

but if you are not full reaper yet, i suggest a power build, like someone said already.

use soul reaping and get the 50% extra crit in shroud (death perception + vital persitence)... and shred the open world to pieces. also berzerker gear is fairly easy to come by.

and dont worry, none of the builds i suggested are in any kind "meta" - they are something i feel super comfortable and confident, even if i forget to dodge. they are very forgiving. hence not too bad as a starter that did not level up.

in the end its your decision :)

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the forums. Every single forum is a permanent loop of "buff my class" or "nerf someone else's class". The profession forum community is about self interest first and understanding/improving the game balance second, from what I've seen (as a whole). The necromancer fourms are (currently) full of kneejerk salty reactions after a recent bug fix by anet, so don't pay the rabble any mind. Experiment on your own and figure out if the class clicks for you.

I'd go for reaper first. Reaper is pretty good for the open world, and its extremely forgiving with its second health pool. Put on your minion abilities and have a blast. Once you have reaper maxed, go for scourge. Scourge is a little less forgiving, due to the lack of second health pool, but a skilled player should be able to manage fine enough with dodges.

If you intend to do sPvP (structured PvP) or WvWvW, definetly go scourge. Even with the "omg oh no nerfs" bug fixes, it is fairly strong and will allow you to kill relatively consistently (not to mention lock down points).

For fractals and dungeons, I'd still go scourge, You can sit at the back lines and load down your shades onto enemies. You do need to remember to dodge a fair bit for these, as without the second healthpool it can get a little more challenging. Remember to make liberal use of your barrier skills, in PvE you should have enough life force generation to spam them.

For traits, I'd stick with a condi build and go spite/curses/soul reaping. Once you have either scourge or reaper, replace spite with either of those two.

> @Atticus.7194 said:

> > @Morgan.5170 said:

> > Don't listen to necro naysayers. They obviously don't know how to make their own end-game groups.

>

> How about qT? Should we listen to those guys for end-game groups? Cause it kinda seems like there's a build for every single other class in the game EXCEPT for necromancers.

>

> https://imgur.com/a/SZJ6q

And yet, despite qt refusing to benchmark on golems, I have 2 static raid groups I raid on my necro with. The fight where my dps nerf suffered the worst was kc, and that's the only fight my group is like, are you sure you don't want to get on an ele for this. We even have been running 2 necros in one of the statics.