Soulbeast build - Open world, PvE, Dungeons, Low-Fractals

Kichwas.7152

EDIT: Fixed talents, split to D/A and A/D.

This is my build for basic general usage. As in PvE, Open-World, Story, Dungeons, and Low-level Fractals. I don't PvP/WvW so I've not considered a design for that.

This is a 'limited budget' build - I don't have the ability to turn out a new set of Ascended gear every time I change my mind on a build like everyone else on these forums seems to have, so this uses exotic gear.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNEQRAoX3YnE8Cl8id8CO8Cs8ilCBr5DMsuaPJgoVAI/6+dLvpYdQoOF-jhDBQBpQThM3fgF6VqgSwdouSSUaYElBA4kAEgnAgBVpgBmGegJmpoELBmhAA-e

The skill website is not calculating the 7% bonus for having the 6th rune of the Soulbeast, so the numbers there are different from those in my screenshot.

![](https://78.media.tumblr.com/34e07217e8e458ff1ee6c96934d1a5fc/tumblr_oy8vrzg8nC1uy6q2bo2_1280.jpg "")

Here is the build:

![](https://78.media.tumblr.com/885e12d3dfb1aaec8cda94d11c0a4658/tumblr_oy8vrzg8nC1uy6q2bo1_1280.jpg "")

Pets:

Lynx: powerful for condition damage

Second pet is user choice. I like Cheetah but have no good reason for it. A healing pet like the Fern Hound can also be handy. Several other pets also become healing pets when in beastmode so the choice is wide.

Play:

This is a close in melee build. Axe/Axe is only there is you are forced into ranged, and it is the choice because it is not 'reticle target based' so you don't have to "shift mental perspective" when going from melee to ranged. It is also medium, so you will learn to stay close to melee, making it easier to transition,

It is important to remember that in this weapon configuration, '4' when you have A/D out is almost always unusable... If you value using '4' more than the bonuses that having and Axe and a Dagger at the same time give... then go to A/A for ranged.

I see no reason to be using Strider's Defense, since you are not using a sword at all, Hidden Barbs is a far better choice, also if you swap your weapon sets to A/D-D/A instead of D/D-A/A, you'll always get the 250 ferocity bonus from Honed Axes on both weapon sets. If I were you, I'd think about dropping one of the stances at least for Sharpening Stone and/or Flame Trap/Viper's Nest.

Each to their own though.

• 1 month later...

I just recently returned to the game after a years-long hiatus, and needed to bring my old bowbear signet Ranger into the modern era. I am mainly a PVE solo player who dabbles in WvW, and like the OP, I have limited resources so I use mostly Exotic gear. I came across this thread and liked the idea of a Soulbeast build fully focused on stances and conditions, So I tweaked this build for my own use.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNEQRAnY4XnE8Cl8id8CO8Cs8ilCBL/6+dHvNfgh1V7JBEtCApEkUfgK-jhCBQBMwEUAeYByc/BapEkP6HAwZUgFaY2h6PGR5XCM/AA-e

Differences:

- Rampager on weapons and armor, Berserker on jewelry. The editor isn't calculating the Soulbeast runes right, but in game, I'm packing over 60% crit and 200% crit damage, plus strong Bleed and Poison conditions. The difference in killing speed between this and my old bowbear build is night and day.

- Lynx and Oppressive Superiority for full DPS when solo. Fern Hound and Leader of the Pack provide support for PVE teams, including story instances where I'm leading a bunch of NPC's. I have a notion that the basic concept should work well in WvW too, but haven't tried it yet; I suspect it may need pet and skill tweaks for that purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

> @"Jimbru.6014" said:

> I just recently returned to the game after a years-long hiatus, and needed to bring my old bowbear signet Ranger into the modern era. I am mainly a PVE solo player who dabbles in WvW, and like the OP, I have limited resources so I use mostly Exotic gear. I came across this thread and liked the idea of a Soulbeast build fully focused on stances and conditions, So I tweaked this build for my own use.

>

> http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNEQRAnY4XnE8Cl8id8CO8Cs8ilCBL/6+dHvNfgh1V7JBEtCApEkUfgK-jhCBQBMwEUAeYByc/BapEkP6HAwZUgFaY2h6PGR5XCM/AA-e

>

> Differences:

> - Rampager on weapons and armor, Berserker on jewelry. The editor isn't calculating the Soulbeast runes right, but in game, I'm packing over 60% crit and 200% crit damage, plus strong Bleed and Poison conditions. The difference in killing speed between this and my old bowbear build is night and day.

> - Lynx and Oppressive Superiority for full DPS when solo. Fern Hound and Leader of the Pack provide support for PVE teams, including story instances where I'm leading a bunch of NPC's. I have a notion that the basic concept should work well in WvW too, but haven't tried it yet; I suspect it may need pet and skill tweaks for that purpose.

This build looks very brutal. Well done!