7 years of Necromancy! (Yes, this again)

Shroud.2307

![](https://i.imgur.com/SJ2O3Yg.jpg "")

![](https://i.imgur.com/JCV9tlL.jpg "")

Okay, this is the third year I've done this. I'll stop, I'm sorry.

Year 6

Year 5

In a few days my oldest, most played, and favorite character will be 7 years old. Unfortunately I wasn't around during beta or roughly the first year of release to see what Spectral Walk and Death Shroud used to be like before their overhauls, but I've been around long enough to remember lots of other things;

* Dhuumfire applying Burning on critical hits.

* Deathly Chill converting Chill to a damaging Condition

* Mobile Plagueform.

* Spectral Walk making gravity death optional

* Corrupts on scepter auto attack

* Bugged Shade skills allowing for infinite reapplication of Aegis

* Feast Of Corruption being a Power skill.

I look forward to the expansion, as skeptical as many might be, to see what new memories I'll get to make and what things we can all look back and laugh _(or cry)_ about.

Cheers to another year of raising the dead ?.

Gratz, mine was created between october and december 2012, well... He should be 8 year old already. He helped me going through the time where the servers were so unstable that I couldn't even play in PvE (for someone that don't really enjoy PvP, that hurt, because Ironically, while other had issues in WvW and not in PvE, I faced the opposite).

I can still remember:

- Shroud being paper thin.

- Downstate health not even being half of the other profession's.

- The blessed week where _Spectral walk_ and _Spectral armor_ had no ICD and could finally grant LF while in shroud.

- The shroud having only 4 skills.

> @"Dadnir.5038" said:

> Gratz, mine was created between october and december 2012, well... He should be 8 year old already. He helped me going through the time where the servers were so unstable that I couldn't even play in PvE (for someone that don't really enjoy PvP, that hurt, because Ironically, while other had issues in WvW and not in PvE, I faced the opposite).

>

> I can still remember:

> - Shroud being paper thin.

> - Downstate health not even being half of the other profession's.

> - The blessed week where _Spectral walk_ and _Spectral armor_ had no ICD and could finally grant LF while in shroud.

> - The shroud having only 4 skills.

>

I wasn't around to experience the 4 skill Shroud, but I've seen pictures, and it's so weird. It's strange to think how closely Shroud was modelled after downed state, and how apparent that is when seeing how it used to look with the bar being closer to the middle of the screen.

> @"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:

> I wasn't around to experience the 4 skill Shroud, but I've seen pictures, and it's so weird. It's strange to think how closely Shroud was modelled after downed state, and how apparent that is when seeing how it used to look with the bar being closer to the middle of the screen.

It was supposed to be the downed state. I'd say that downstate have been modelled after the shroud more than the opposite.

The 7th year birthday present is a cool eyecatcher and works even in wvw. I got mine a few months ago for my thief, which is from 2013.

Unfortunately I deleted my first character (which was a necro) from 2012, as it was extremely bad in pve (and still is today), but created a new one right in the hot beta in 2015, as it was obvious that reaper would fix everything.

> @"KrHome.1920" said:

> The 7th year birthday present is a cool eyecatcher and works even in wvw. I got mine a few months ago for my thief, which is from 2013.

>

> Unfortunately I deleted my first character (which was a necro) from 2012, as it was extremely bad in pve (and still is today), but created a new one right in the hot beta in 2015, as it was obvious that reaper would fix everything.

Same, actually. My first character was an Engineer. My account was made early September the same year as my Necro, so my account itself is already a few months older than 7 years. Engi didn't click with me at first because it was too complicated. Some time down the road I made my Necro and have stuck with it ever since, although I did eventually remake my Engi which I consider my "secondary main".

Do you still have a character(s) from 2012 for the Birthday Luminous armors and such?

I was there a couple months after release. I remember quite a bit.

Small Marks

At location wells

Stability blocking all CC

Death jumps

Only 4 skills in shroud

So on and so on. We used to have multiple traits for a single skill type now that's exclusive to Minions which is less a skill type and more a secondary mechanic like Guardian symbols.

My necro is pretty old and she's gone through a lot of changes. Here's hoping for more support from our elite specs and a glass cannon spec.