GW2Raidar - Log Parsing, Stat's and Data Driven Benchmarks

Hello GW2 forums,

I figured I'd drop this here as well since not everyone here uses reddit and with the recent discussions about meta vs non meta and the like, I thought this might be a handy resource for any raiders, new and old.

## What is GW2Raidar? ##

GW2 Raidar is a online website that basically parsers logs generated by ArcDPS. We then take all that information to provide your standard raid reports, however with a difference.

1. All reports are saved so you can easily review them whenever you like.

2. Using data from these reports, we create global metrics to measure everything against.

3. This means you have access to your very own raid profile to compare yourself against the general raiding populace.

4. Furthermore, we're able to use this data to provide up to date global statistics to show actual realistic benchmarks and metrics based on real data and real raid conditions.

There's a whole heap of functionality and features and things we'll continually add so why not hop in and check it out yourself if you haven't already done so? You can access it by going to www.gw2raidar.com.

Feel free to let me know any feedback you might have or suggestions or just general thoughts and commentary =). Happy raiding!

Merf

I can't even begin to describe how thankful I am for Merforga and to other people involved in Gw2raidar like Amadan, Veranaday and Divides, and of course to the people giving dat sweet DATA on actual raid performance.

Stats on real raid performance are vastly better for a person learning to dps on raids than training golem dps checks( which do have their place aswell) as a gauge on your own performance. These kind of stats actually help you learn a LOT faster. Eventually, when stat visualization gets detailed enough, you can go through the encounter second by second on where you went wrong or what could be done better. Warcraftlogs was an essential tool for me to become a better raider and I am very exited for the potential gw2 raidar shows.

> Feel free to let me know any feedback you might have or suggestions or just general thoughts and commentary =). Happy raiding!

1) It's hard to read the global averages properly without knowing the exact numbers of raid logs per profession. The popularity value is too vague to get a decent whiff on how reliable the stats are from a sample pov. Maybe an option to toggle to see the number of parses on each profession and specialization in the current dataset.

This might actually have a positive effect on people to put more parses up on less popular profession.

2) And on future development, I would absolutely love to have the ability to see and analyze people's individual raid logs and the build/equipment they are using, like in warcraftlogs. I'm guessing this is a massive undertaking, but the api allows you to show all of this.

Anyways, thank you gw2 raidar team from the bottom of my heart. :)

ps. I would be totally okay with some non intrusive ads on the site to help get you guys revenue to continue and expand the service.

> 1) It's hard to read the global averages properly without knowing the exact numbers of raid logs per profession. The popularity value is too vague to get a decent whiff on how reliable the stats are from a sample pov. Maybe an option to toggle to see the number of parses on each profession and specialization in the current dataset.

Yeah we were planning on adding count to the data sets but it didn't make this releases cut. It'll be added soon!

> This might actually have a positive effect on people to put more parses up on less popular profession.

This was a part of the idea! There are some interesting insights from the global stat's perspective

> 2) And on future development, I would absolutely love to have the ability to see and analyze people's individual raid logs and the build/equipment they are using, like in warcraftlogs. I'm guessing this is a massive undertaking, but the api allows you to show all of this.

Unfort this gets a bit more tricky since we don't know what peiple are running via logs. In terms of using an api, it's not too feasible unfortunately as we'd have to take a snapshot of the build and gear during the fight... Which we can't personally XD. And after it is kinda moot as people can and often will switch gear and traits etc between fights.

> ps. I would be totally okay with some non intrusive ads on the site to help get you guys revenue to continue and expand the service.

There is a donate button on the about us page ;)

I feel that few understand the impact of gw2raidar existing...

Raids have suffered deeply from having little quantifiable data on how fights should progress and how dps classes perform in real combat.

This is that data. We can see where groups average dps rises, peaks, and falls through the raid community and how certain classes or builds fare on average in certain fights.

What gw2raidar provides is an invaluable tool to judge the worth of classes, comps, and other factors such as if your dmg or boon uptime is good for the fight youre in.

I hope this project stays strong because it WILL change how we raid for the better the more people use and understand it.

> @Murdock.6547 said:

> I feel that few understand the gravity of gw2raidar existing...

>

> Raids have suffered deeply from having little quantifiable data on how fights should progress and how dps classes perform in real combat.

>

> This is that data. We can see where groups average dps rises, peaks, and falls through the raid community and how certain classes or builds fare on average in certain fights.

>

> What gw2raidar provides is an invaluable tool to judge the worth of classes, comps, and other factors such as if your dmg or boon uptime is good for the fight youre in.

>

> I hope this project stays strong because it WILL change how we raid for the better the more people use and understand it.

That was the original intention of it! And it still is =D

> @Murdock.6547 said:

> I feel that few understand the gravity of gw2raidar existing...

>

> Raids have suffered deeply from having little quantifiable data on how fights should progress and how dps classes perform in real combat.

>

> This is that data. We can see where groups average dps rises, peaks, and falls through the raid community and how certain classes or builds fare on average in certain fights.

>

> What gw2raidar provides is an invaluable tool to judge the worth of classes, comps, and other factors such as if your dmg or boon uptime is good for the fight youre in.

>

> I hope this project stays strong because it WILL change how we raid for the better the more people use and understand it.

I dunno why you used the word gravity though as people will just believe you have a negative opinion before reading your argument. How about "importance"

One of the main take home messages from these statistics is that player skill is much more important than running a particular class, at least when it comes to analysing overall damage. Of course, some classes have advantages on certain encounters, but these only matter if you can use the class effectively. The second is that the raids are fairly lenient in terms of damage required for a typical group as players finish with several minutes remaining on average.

One of my arguments in favour of a raid analytics tool is that it allows decisions and suggestions to be made based on objective data, rather than subjective and perceived notions, although it is important to understand how to analyse it appropriately, which in my view requires multi-class raid experience. By having a more realistic set of data typical of a range of abilities, it is easier to develop more reasonable expectations. I still want to emphasise the need for understanding raid mechanics as well as how well the group is supported; and how these factors can affect the data.

Based on the data, boss clears on average finish with several minutes remaining. One could argue that clearing faster means less mechanics, so less chances to make mistakes, but several groups could benefit from a more conservative approach (eg use Stone Spirit for extra protection - one group that I have run with uses the extra protection from Stone Spirit and never has problems with clearing related to overall damage). In some cases I think players starting out or that are having difficulties could improve greatly by using a simpler build so they can focus on mechanics more (such as Power Mesmer). While it won't be getting you speedclears anytime soon, it actually is not too far behind for some bosses.

With this new data, I believe that the benefits of being able to compare with more realistic records outweigh the doubts, as long as the data is used appropriately as a diagnostic tool and that players analysing logs for their group provide meaningful feedback. What I hope not to see this used as is a barrier to entry, as a replacement for kill proof/experience. It is possible, after all for players to not perform as well as they are able to for various reasons (bad support, network latency etc).

> @Sethorus.9231 said:

> > @Murdock.6547 said:

> > I feel that few understand the gravity of gw2raidar existing...

> >

> > Raids have suffered deeply from having little quantifiable data on how fights should progress and how dps classes perform in real combat.

> >

> > This is that data. We can see where groups average dps rises, peaks, and falls through the raid community and how certain classes or builds fare on average in certain fights.

> >

> > What gw2raidar provides is an invaluable tool to judge the worth of classes, comps, and other factors such as if your dmg or boon uptime is good for the fight youre in.

> >

> > I hope this project stays strong because it WILL change how we raid for the better the more people use and understand it.

>

> I dunno why you used the word gravity though as people will just believe you have a negative opinion before reading your argument. How about "importance"

>

Such a fiddly nitpick, but a valid one I suppose. My posts of late have been rushed so my english has suffered in some cases.

> @Murdock.6547 said:

> > @Sethorus.9231 said:

> > > @Murdock.6547 said:

> > > I feel that few understand the gravity of gw2raidar existing...

> > >

> > > Raids have suffered deeply from having little quantifiable data on how fights should progress and how dps classes perform in real combat.

> > >

> > > This is that data. We can see where groups average dps rises, peaks, and falls through the raid community and how certain classes or builds fare on average in certain fights.

> > >

> > > What gw2raidar provides is an invaluable tool to judge the worth of classes, comps, and other factors such as if your dmg or boon uptime is good for the fight youre in.

> > >

> > > I hope this project stays strong because it WILL change how we raid for the better the more people use and understand it.

> >

> > I dunno why you used the word gravity though as people will just believe you have a negative opinion before reading your argument. How about "importance"

> >

>

> Such a fiddly nitpick, but a valid one I suppose. My posts of late have been rushed so my english has suffered in some cases.

Don't take it the wrong way. I was saying it with the best intentions. There is a 4 page thread of people whining or defending dps meters so I just didn't want your argument to be see in a wrong light :)

> @merforga.4731 said:

> Feel free to let me know any feedback you might have or suggestions or just general thoughts and commentary =). Happy raiding!

>

> Merf

Can you or someone else give me some more information of how the privacy settings exactly work on your website?

What privacy setting is applied by default to account data inside the uploaded log files from gw2 accounts that dont have a gw2raidar account?

When other users view that encounter, can they see character/account names of participants that dont have a gw2r account or can they only see their relevant combat data/performance numbers?

I was also told that you can only download log files, if no one in that encounter has their setting to private.

Whats the default setting there? Are log files downloadable by any user, until one participant of that encounter puts his setting to private or squad or isnt it downloadable by any user until all participants set their privacy setting to public?

I have another question about the usability of the current arcdps log files:

If I do a raid encounter, which is being logged by another member of my squad and uploaded to gw2r, how would it compromise your ability (as admins) and the ability of the 9 other squad members to use that log file to feed into your meta statistics and the personal raid statistics of the other 9 members of my squad, if the log file wouldnt include my gw2 account or character name but all of my other combat related data that is currently logged?

Thanks for clarification.

@Wanze.8410, beyond what the privacy settings do on the website, you should be aware that account names are fully visible in-game if you hover over other players in a squad. Anet do not protect account names or consider them sensitive information, which is rather obvious since even here on the very public (and google indexed) forum your account name is fully visible. Even if you opt to not join squads (which excludes raids which is the purpose of raidar), any player can get the account name of any other player they just happen to see in the game by right-clicking the name and adding them to their block/friend list. Even in wvw/pvp where the name is hidden, the account name is still accessible through that method. There is no opt-out or opt-in method to prevent other players in the game to find out your account name, and anet has in every possible situation shown the account name when it has had the possibility to do so.

What is the use case behind your questions when anet has made it explicitly impossible to keep account names hidden from other members of a raid squad?

> @Belorn.2659 said:

> @Wanze.8410, beyond what the privacy settings do on the website

I dont use that website, thats why I am asking the admins how exactly the privacy settings work and what the default options are. I thought this was the intended purpose of this thread.

> What is the use case behind your questions when anet has made it explicitly impossible to keep account names hidden from other members of a raid squad?

The use case behind my questions is a better game experience for myself, I hope you dont have any objections to that.

I dont question Anets stance on sharing my account name with other members of my squad.

I just wonder in what capacity it is required to link my account name to my personal combat data, record it and share it with members outside of my squad in order for the other squad members to be able to record, process and visualize their own dps performance.

> @Wanze.8410 said:

> > @Belorn.2659 said:

>

>

> The use case behind my questions is a better game experience for myself, I hope you dont have any objections to that.

>

> I dont question Anets stance on sharing my account name with other members of my squad.

> I just wonder in what capacity it is required to link my account name to my personal combat data, record it and share it with members outside of my squad in order for the other squad members to be able to record, process and visualize their own dps performance.

>

Tl;dr ppl don't want a number attached to their name.

Ppl don't want others to be on the site, see one bad stat, and be like, "holy kitten blacklisted"

> @Ertrak.9506 said:

> > @Wanze.8410 said:

> > > @Belorn.2659 said:

> >

> >

> > The use case behind my questions is a better game experience for myself, I hope you dont have any objections to that.

> >

> > I dont question Anets stance on sharing my account name with other members of my squad.

> > I just wonder in what capacity it is required to link my account name to my personal combat data, record it and share it with members outside of my squad in order for the other squad members to be able to record, process and visualize their own dps performance.

> >

>

> Tl;dr ppl don't want a number attached to their name.

>

> Ppl don't want others to be on the site, see one bad stat, and be like, "holy kitten blacklisted"

This is valid security and privacy concern that should be answered by raidar dev asap and if anything investigated by ArenaNet for potential risks.

> @Ertrak.9506 said:

> > @Wanze.8410 said:

> > > @Belorn.2659 said:

> >

> >

> > The use case behind my questions is a better game experience for myself, I hope you dont have any objections to that.

> >

> > I dont question Anets stance on sharing my account name with other members of my squad.

> > I just wonder in what capacity it is required to link my account name to my personal combat data, record it and share it with members outside of my squad in order for the other squad members to be able to record, process and visualize their own dps performance.

> >

>

> Tl;dr ppl don't want a number attached to their name.

>

> Ppl don't want others to be on the site, see one bad stat, and be like, "holy kitten blacklisted"

But.. is this even a real concern? I don't think you can see someones raid history, you can just link a singular log. And who cares about a single log? o_O Lag can happen, you might have fallen asleep. Anyone who blacklists you over a single log is deluded and probably someone you never want to play with ever. Never allowed to test things, ever! meta perfection play 100% of the time! ra ra ra!

And even then, if you're that worried, someone can make their name private so nobody knows who you are.

> @Evolute.6239 said:

> But.. is this even a real concern?

I think if its a real concern or not is something that everybody has to determine for themselves and there is no need for us to find consent about that because everybody values privacy differently. If it isnt a concern for you and you want to share your data, I have no problem with that and dont want to stop you doing just that. The reasons you have for making your own choice should not invalidate your choice, if they are of subjective nature.

So why are the reasons on which I base my choice so relevant to you, if they dont concern or handicap you in any way?

> @Wanze.8410 said:

> > @Evolute.6239 said:

>

> > But.. is this even a real concern?

> I think if its a real concern or not is something that everybody has to determine for themselves and there is no need for us to find consent about that because everybody values privacy differently. If it isnt a concern for you and you want to share your data, I have no problem with that and dont want to stop you doing just that. The reasons you have for making your own choice should not invalidate your choice, if they are of subjective nature.

>

> So why are the reasons on which I base my choice so relevant to you, if they dont concern or handicap you in any way?

Because your nonexistant concern about something that will probably never happen is not worth changing anything over.

I feel like this is one of those tumblr arguments I can't win, though. So I'm not gonna bother cluttering up this thread. It feels like "DPS meters are toxic" 2.0.