GW2Raidar - Log Parsing, Stat's and Data Driven Benchmarks

Wanze.8410 the whole thing you're discussing here is a bunch of BS. Just the fact itself that GW2Raidar offers ANY kind of privacy settings is a bonus step, something completely optional that didn't have to be implemented in the first place (and no other parsers I can think of offer that).

When you join anyone's party/squad, your combat data are shared with them and they're free to read it, display it or store it. That's how DPS meters always worked and were officialy approved by Anet. This data can then be processed into easily readable tables, just like GW2Raidar does. You can then share it with anyone, send them link to it, take a picture of it, whatever...

Trying to somehow obscure this or untie with accounts/characters would be completely pointless. People have their own memory and ability to share information. So even if you make all parser data private, people can still talk to each other and say "I've been in a raid with this guy and he did XYZ DPS".

Unless you can think of a way to prevent people from **LOOKING** at their DPS meter and **TALKING** to their friends about what it displayed, it makes no sense to question some parser and whether it can do it or not.

Because there are quite a few people here who haven't encountered the site before, I'll go over the privacy settings quickly.

* profile pages are entirely private.

* encounter pages are listed for all participants, but not publicly discoverable. They can be shared by links, just like raid heroes logs.

* if you wish to hide your account and character names, you can create a gw2raidar account and change your visibility to squad only, or private. This will replace your name in encounter reports with the word "PRIVATE". Note that participants do have the ability to share your character name in other ways (I.e. on other websites) and we have no control over that.

* accounts can only be created with specifically named keys, to prevent misuse of api keys that have been shared widely in the past

While more privacy settings are not impossible, we currently consider these more than sufficient. Additionally, if we are to spend our time on such features we would like to know it will resolve people's concerns, rather than just generating even more questions.

> @Toeofdoom.6152 said:

> Because there are quite a few people here who haven't encountered the site before, I'll go over the privacy settings quickly.

>

> * profile pages are entirely private.

> * encounter pages are shown to participants. They can be shared by links, just like raid heroes logs.

> * if you wish to hide your account and character names, you can create a gw2raidar account and change your visibility to squad only, or private. This will replace your name in encounter reports with the word "PRIVATE". Note that participants do have the ability to share your character name in other ways (I.e. on other websites) and we have no control over that.

> * accounts can only be created with specifically named keys, to prevent misuse of api keys that have been shared widely in the past

>

> While more privacy settings are not impossible, we currently consider these more than sufficient. Additionally, if we are to spend our time on such features we would like to know it will resolve people's concerns, rather than just generating even more questions.

>

Am I understanding this correctly - if I'm not creating raidar account and setting my account to private and I play with someone who monitors me with his dps meter and posts it on the site (without my knowledge and consent) my data is available there for everyone?

> @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > @Toeofdoom.6152 said:

> > Because there are quite a few people here who haven't encountered the site before, I'll go over the privacy settings quickly.

> >

> > * profile pages are entirely private.

> > * encounter pages are shown to participants. They can be shared by links, just like raid heroes logs.

> > * if you wish to hide your account and character names, you can create a gw2raidar account and change your visibility to squad only, or private. This will replace your name in encounter reports with the word "PRIVATE". Note that participants do have the ability to share your character name in other ways (I.e. on other websites) and we have no control over that.

> > * accounts can only be created with specifically named keys, to prevent misuse of api keys that have been shared widely in the past

> >

> > While more privacy settings are not impossible, we currently consider these more than sufficient. Additionally, if we are to spend our time on such features we would like to know it will resolve people's concerns, rather than just generating even more questions.

> >

>

> Am I understanding this correctly - if I'm not creating raidar account and setting my account to private and I play with someone who monitors me with his dps meter and posts it on the site (without my knowledge and consent) my data is available there for everyone?

It's only available for the specific boss that was killed and uploaded and only if a person from said squad shares a link to said boss log.

For the fifteenth billion time, your combat data is not private data. You don't consent to it at all. The fact that they allow you to hide your name if you choose to sign up already covers 99% of concerns anyone would have.

> @Evolute.6239 said:

> > @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > > @Toeofdoom.6152 said:

> > > Because there are quite a few people here who haven't encountered the site before, I'll go over the privacy settings quickly.

> > >

> > > * profile pages are entirely private.

> > > * encounter pages are shown to participants. They can be shared by links, just like raid heroes logs.

> > > * if you wish to hide your account and character names, you can create a gw2raidar account and change your visibility to squad only, or private. This will replace your name in encounter reports with the word "PRIVATE". Note that participants do have the ability to share your character name in other ways (I.e. on other websites) and we have no control over that.

> > > * accounts can only be created with specifically named keys, to prevent misuse of api keys that have been shared widely in the past

> > >

> > > While more privacy settings are not impossible, we currently consider these more than sufficient. Additionally, if we are to spend our time on such features we would like to know it will resolve people's concerns, rather than just generating even more questions.

> > >

> >

> > Am I understanding this correctly - if I'm not creating raidar account and setting my account to private and I play with someone who monitors me with his dps meter and posts it on the site (without my knowledge and consent) my data is available there for everyone?

>

> It's only available for the specific boss that was killed and uploaded and only if a person from said squad shares a link to said boss log.

>

> For the fifteenth billion time, your combat data is not private data. You don't consent to it at all. The fact that they allow you to hide your name if you choose to sign up already covers 99% of concerns anyone would have.

>

So basically I have no control over this, anyone can share this data and I am forced to accept it even though I have no interest in using this tool or this site.

This is ridiculous. This requires immediate change of policy and deep investigation by arenanet. I had no idea how many things are leaking outside of game client that is beyond control just because they allowed arc dps.

> @Evolute.6239 said:

> > @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > > @Toeofdoom.6152 said:

> > > Because there are quite a few people here who haven't encountered the site before, I'll go over the privacy settings quickly.

> > >

> > > * profile pages are entirely private.

> > > * encounter pages are shown to participants. They can be shared by links, just like raid heroes logs.

> > > * if you wish to hide your account and character names, you can create a gw2raidar account and change your visibility to squad only, or private. This will replace your name in encounter reports with the word "PRIVATE". Note that participants do have the ability to share your character name in other ways (I.e. on other websites) and we have no control over that.

> > > * accounts can only be created with specifically named keys, to prevent misuse of api keys that have been shared widely in the past

> > >

> > > While more privacy settings are not impossible, we currently consider these more than sufficient. Additionally, if we are to spend our time on such features we would like to know it will resolve people's concerns, rather than just generating even more questions.

> > >

> >

> > Am I understanding this correctly - if I'm not creating raidar account and setting my account to private and I play with someone who monitors me with his dps meter and posts it on the site (without my knowledge and consent) my data is available there for everyone?

>

> It's only available for the specific boss that was killed and uploaded and only if a person from said squad shares a link to said boss log.

>

> For the fifteenth billion time, your combat data is not private data. You don't consent to it at all. The fact that they allow you to hide your name if you choose to sign up already covers 99% of concerns anyone would have.

>

[insert church congregation's "Amen"]

Welcome to terms and conditions.

It'd be the same as you complaining that Facebook (do people still use that?) sold off one of your photos to be placed in an advertisement and you got non of the money or royalties for it. Yes, you took and posted that photo, but at that point you surrendered your rights to that photo by posting it. Regardless whether you set your profile to private or not Facebook can freely distribute anything that's posted its platform

Similar thing happens with GW2. Sure, it's your account and your character that's generating the combat data, but the generated data then falls under public use. The boundary there being I can't look at your gear, traits, etc without your API key, but combat data and parsing/viewing there of has been given the green light and that includes typing your account/toon name to it since that's available in the public data.

As others have mentioned it's just a bonus that sites like GW2Raidar offer a privacy option as that's not at all required of them; GW2Raidar isn't going out and hunting down your account name; it was already included in the data.

But let's be blunt, if there is anyone that doesn't agree with the availability of the data? Well....just stop playing the game. Same thing was said about mounts in the labyrinth. Though that's a discussion that took place in another thread the plain and simple answer there was along the lines of "this is what Anet has already reviewed and approved, if you don't like it then don't go to the labyrinth or make your own squad". And guess what? Squads were made and people were kicked if they used mounts in a squad that specifically stated they were against that feature.

> @savacli.8172 said:

> > @Evolute.6239 said:

> > > @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > > > @Toeofdoom.6152 said:

> > > > Because there are quite a few people here who haven't encountered the site before, I'll go over the privacy settings quickly.

> > > >

> > > > * profile pages are entirely private.

> > > > * encounter pages are shown to participants. They can be shared by links, just like raid heroes logs.

> > > > * if you wish to hide your account and character names, you can create a gw2raidar account and change your visibility to squad only, or private. This will replace your name in encounter reports with the word "PRIVATE". Note that participants do have the ability to share your character name in other ways (I.e. on other websites) and we have no control over that.

> > > > * accounts can only be created with specifically named keys, to prevent misuse of api keys that have been shared widely in the past

> > > >

> > > > While more privacy settings are not impossible, we currently consider these more than sufficient. Additionally, if we are to spend our time on such features we would like to know it will resolve people's concerns, rather than just generating even more questions.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Am I understanding this correctly - if I'm not creating raidar account and setting my account to private and I play with someone who monitors me with his dps meter and posts it on the site (without my knowledge and consent) my data is available there for everyone?

> >

> > It's only available for the specific boss that was killed and uploaded and only if a person from said squad shares a link to said boss log.

> >

> > For the fifteenth billion time, your combat data is not private data. You don't consent to it at all. The fact that they allow you to hide your name if you choose to sign up already covers 99% of concerns anyone would have.

> >

>

> [insert church congregation's "Amen"]

>

> Welcome to terms and conditions.

>

> It'd be the same as you complaining that Facebook (do people still use that?) sold off one of your photos to be placed in an advertisement and you got non of the money or royalties for it. Yes, you took and posted that photo, but at that point you surrendered your rights to that photo by posting it. Regardless whether you set your profile to private or not Facebook can freely distribute anything that's posted its platform

>

> Similar thing happens with GW2. Sure, it's your account and your character that's generating the combat data, but the generated data then falls under public use. The boundary there being I can't look at your gear, traits, etc without your API key, but combat data and parsing/viewing there of has been given the green light and that includes typing your account/toon name to it since that's available in the public data.

>

> As others have mentioned it's just a bonus that sites like GW2Raidar offer a privacy option as that's not at all required of them; GW2Raidar isn't going out and hunting down your account name; it was already included in the data.

>

> But let's be blunt, if there is anyone that doesn't agree with the availability of the data? Well....just stop playing the game. Same thing was said about mounts in the labyrinth. Though that's a discussion that took place in another thread the plain and simple answer there was along the lines of "this is what Anet has already reviewed and approved, if you don't like it then don't go to the labyrinth or make your own squad". And guess what? Squads were made and people were kicked if they used mounts in a squad that specifically stated they were against that feature.

Actually it's behavioral data, it's not about my character it's about me using the service. It is very much my own. The data itself is not a problem. Problem is data being directly associated to my account, to me. It's personal information at this point. If it was about posting general dps of the party without associating it with my account without my consent everything would be okay as you cannot pick me up. But you can. Same goes for raidar which is even bigger violation of privacy.

It was brought up in old thread, not by me originally, and Chris never answered to this. He did exactly the same as you, rephrased the policy without answering actual concern. Currently policy is either under faulty interpretation or its wording is bad and it's to be changed.

There is nothing wrong in using dps meters and sharing these numbers but it should be done conscientiously and after I consent. Not automatically assumed I agree to send my data to 3rd parties without any control over this.

About your facebook example, they can gather the data but they can't share it in direct correlation to my account to third party apps without my consent. Every app asks me for consent before running it. Nothing like this happens in GW2 and arcdps, not mentioning raidar.

Your concerns are ones that cannot be resolved without arenanet changing their policy and are not really related to the gw2raidar website. As such, we have no reason to believe that _any changes we could possibly make_ to gw2raidar would satisfy you. It is exactly what I mean when I say "Additionally, if we are to spend our time on such features we would like to know it will resolve people's concerns, rather than just generating even more questions."

If you have specific, concrete and **preferably concise** feature requests related to privacy, you are welcome to post them here. However if you want to have discussion about overall dps meter policy, this thread is not the place to do it.

> @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> Actually it's behavioral data, it's not about my character it's about me using the service. It is very much my own.

It is not behavioral data. Behavioral data would be your payment history, payment methods, login locations and stuff like that. If combat data would be considered a private information that would make every single online game illegal.

> @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> One request at this point. Hide account names by default until a player creates an account and makes it public.

I'll add it to the list for consideration in future releases but at this stage, we are comfortable with the privacy options available so it is not a high priority for us right now.

> @savacli.8172 said:

> > @Evolute.6239 said:

> > > > Because there are quite a few people here who haven't encountered the site before, I'll go over the privacy settings quickly.

> > > >

> > > > * encounter pages are shown to participants. They can be shared by links, just like raid heroes logs.

> > > > * if you wish to hide your account and character names, you can create a gw2raidar account and change your visibility to squad only, or private. This will replace your name in encounter reports with the word "PRIVATE". Note that participants do have the ability to share your character name in other ways (I.e. on other websites) and we have no control over that.

> > > > * accounts can only be created with specifically named keys, to prevent misuse of api keys that have been shared widely in the past

> > > >

> > > > While more privacy settings are not impossible, we currently consider these more than sufficient. Additionally, if we are to spend our time on such features we would like to know it will resolve people's concerns, rather than just generating even more questions.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Am I understanding this correctly - if I'm not creating raidar account and setting my account to private and I play with someone who monitors me with his dps meter and posts it on the site (without my knowledge and consent) my data is available there for everyone?

> >

> > It's only available for the specific boss that was killed and uploaded and only if a person from said squad shares a link to said boss log.

> >

> > For the fifteenth billion time, your combat data is not private data. You don't consent to it at all. The fact that they allow you to hide your name if you choose to sign up already covers 99% of concerns anyone would have.

> >

>

> [insert church congregation's "Amen"]

>

> Welcome to terms and conditions.

>

>

> Similar thing happens with GW2. Sure, it's your account and your character that's generating the combat data, but the generated data then falls under public use. The boundary there being I can't look at your gear, traits, etc without your API key, but combat data and parsing/viewing there of has been given the green light and that includes typing your account/toon name to it since that's available in the public data.

And thats where we disagree. The exception that was granted by Chris was only in the scope of dps meters.

In my opinion, it is not necessary to log your squads members account name in order to record, process and visualize your own dps numbers and the dps numbers of your squad, as long as you have all combat related data from all 10 players.

That would define account names of other squad members as unrelated data in relation to the scope of dps meters and therefore wouldnt be covered by the exception to the privacy policy granted by chris.

Edit: So technically and legally I see it like this:

You are free to use dps meters to log dps numbers from your squad but any record can only obtain your own account name linked to any combat data, the combat data of your other 9 squad members can be included in the dps log but it cant be linked to their account names by default, unless they agree to their account name being recorded by default.

Once the log is done, I dont think there would be anything illegal in you adding the account names of your squad members manually by yourself into the dps log but once you share that log again with someone outside of that social group, it would be a violation again because the account names of your squad members are irrelevant data in regards to the scope of dps meters.

> @Wanze.8410 said:

> > @savacli.8172 said:

> > > @Evolute.6239 said:

> > > > @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > > > > @Toeofdoom.6152 said:

> > > > > Because there are quite a few people here who haven't encountered the site before, I'll go over the privacy settings quickly.

> > > > >

> > > > > * profile pages are entirely private.

> > > > > * encounter pages are shown to participants. They can be shared by links, just like raid heroes logs.

> > > > > * if you wish to hide your account and character names, you can create a gw2raidar account and change your visibility to squad only, or private. This will replace your name in encounter reports with the word "PRIVATE". Note that participants do have the ability to share your character name in other ways (I.e. on other websites) and we have no control over that.

> > > > > * accounts can only be created with specifically named keys, to prevent misuse of api keys that have been shared widely in the past

> > > > >

> > > > > While more privacy settings are not impossible, we currently consider these more than sufficient. Additionally, if we are to spend our time on such features we would like to know it will resolve people's concerns, rather than just generating even more questions.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Am I understanding this correctly - if I'm not creating raidar account and setting my account to private and I play with someone who monitors me with his dps meter and posts it on the site (without my knowledge and consent) my data is available there for everyone?

> > >

> > > It's only available for the specific boss that was killed and uploaded and only if a person from said squad shares a link to said boss log.

> > >

> > > For the fifteenth billion time, your combat data is not private data. You don't consent to it at all. The fact that they allow you to hide your name if you choose to sign up already covers 99% of concerns anyone would have.

> > >

> >

> > [insert church congregation's "Amen"]

> >

> > Welcome to terms and conditions.

> >

> >

> > Similar thing happens with GW2. Sure, it's your account and your character that's generating the combat data, but the generated data then falls under public use. The boundary there being I can't look at your gear, traits, etc without your API key, but combat data and parsing/viewing there of has been given the green light and that includes typing your account/toon name to it since that's available in the public data.

>

> And thats where we disagree. The exception that was granted by Chris was only in the scope of dps meters.

>

> In my opinion, it is not necessary to log your squads members account name in order to record, process and visualize your own dps numbers and the dps numbers of your squad, as long as you have all combat related data from all 10 players.

>

> That would define account names of other squad members as unrelated data in relation to the scope of dps meters and therefore wouldnt be covered by the exception to the privacy policy granted by chris.

>

> Edit: So technically and legally I see it like this:

>

> You are free to use dps meters to log dps numbers from your squad but any record can only obtain your own account name linked to any combat data, the combat data of your other 9 squad members can be included in the dps log but it cant be linked to their account names by default, unless they agree to their account name being recorded by default.

>

> Once the log is done, I dont think there would be anything illegal in you adding the account names of your squad members manually by yourself into the dps log but once you share that log again with someone outside of that social group, it would be a violation again because the account names of your squad members are irrelevant data in regards to the scope of dps meters.

Your account name and even character name are public data....If you don't like that you probably should not have installed the game nor accepted the EULA

> @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > @Evolute.6239 said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

> So basically I have no control over this, anyone can share this data and I am forced to accept it even though I have no interest in using this tool or this site.

>

> This is ridiculous. This requires immediate change of policy and deep investigation by arenanet. I had no idea how many things are leaking outside of game client that is beyond control just because they allowed arc dps.

Chris clearly has quite litterally said that joining a squad is not private information and can be freely shared twitter.com/Shazbawt/status/905910888573673473

> @Wanze.8410 said:

> > @savacli.8172 said:

> > > @Evolute.6239 said:

> > > > @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > > > > @Toeofdoom.6152 said:

> > > > > Because there are quite a few people here who haven't encountered the site before, I'll go over the privacy settings quickly.

> > > > >

> > > > > * profile pages are entirely private.

> > > > > * encounter pages are shown to participants. They can be shared by links, just like raid heroes logs.

> > > > > * if you wish to hide your account and character names, you can create a gw2raidar account and change your visibility to squad only, or private. This will replace your name in encounter reports with the word "PRIVATE". Note that participants do have the ability to share your character name in other ways (I.e. on other websites) and we have no control over that.

> > > > > * accounts can only be created with specifically named keys, to prevent misuse of api keys that have been shared widely in the past

> > > > >

> > > > > While more privacy settings are not impossible, we currently consider these more than sufficient. Additionally, if we are to spend our time on such features we would like to know it will resolve people's concerns, rather than just generating even more questions.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Am I understanding this correctly - if I'm not creating raidar account and setting my account to private and I play with someone who monitors me with his dps meter and posts it on the site (without my knowledge and consent) my data is available there for everyone?

> > >

> > > It's only available for the specific boss that was killed and uploaded and only if a person from said squad shares a link to said boss log.

> > >

> > > For the fifteenth billion time, your combat data is not private data. You don't consent to it at all. The fact that they allow you to hide your name if you choose to sign up already covers 99% of concerns anyone would have.

> > >

> >

> > [insert church congregation's "Amen"]

> >

> > Welcome to terms and conditions.

> >

> >

> > Similar thing happens with GW2. Sure, it's your account and your character that's generating the combat data, but the generated data then falls under public use. The boundary there being I can't look at your gear, traits, etc without your API key, but combat data and parsing/viewing there of has been given the green light and that includes typing your account/toon name to it since that's available in the public data.

>

> And thats where we disagree. The exception that was granted by Chris was only in the scope of dps meters.

>

> In my opinion, it is not necessary to log your squads members account name in order to record, process and visualize your own dps numbers and the dps numbers of your squad, as long as you have all combat related data from all 10 players.

>

> That would define account names of other squad members as unrelated data in relation to the scope of dps meters and therefore wouldnt be covered by the exception to the privacy policy granted by chris.

>

> Edit: So technically and legally I see it like this:

>

> You are free to use dps meters to log dps numbers from your squad but any record can only obtain your own account name linked to any combat data, the combat data of your other 9 squad members can be included in the dps log but it cant be linked to their account names by default, unless they agree to their account name being recorded by default.

>

> Once the log is done, I dont think there would be anything illegal in you adding the account names of your squad members manually by yourself into the dps log but once you share that log again with someone outside of that social group, it would be a violation again because the account names of your squad members are irrelevant data in regards to the scope of dps meters.

wanze Chris clearly has basically said he green light this entire concept long before it was even made

If he felt there was something wrong with this then he would have prevented delta from putting names and account info into combat logs. the information in arcs combat logs are freely sharable. Any problems with that should be taken up with arena net.

The thread regarding DPS meter privacy policy was locked by anet for a good reason and continuing the discussion here won't do anything good. Please create a new thread if you want to reopen the discussion, until they lock that one again. Read Anet privacy policy if you want their view: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/arenanet-privacy-policy/

> @Belorn.2659 said:

> The thread regarding DPS meter privacy policy was locked by anet for a good reason and continuing the discussion here won't do anything good. Please create a new thread if you want to reopen the discussion, until they lock that one again. Read Anet privacy policy if you want their view: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/arenanet-privacy-policy/

Clearly folks are still salty about their "privacy is being invaded" when it's really not. I'll admit a "my bad" for adding to the derailing.

But yeah, can we just get a lock on this one too? The thread is about GW2Raidar which isn't breaking any rules or isn't somehow collecting any additional information. It's simply parsing the data in nice neat visual layouts for folks interested looking into combat logs.

Thus, kudos to the GW2Raidar team and keep up the amazing work! I know my group uses your tool quite often and it has heavily helped us identify our shortfalls!

• 2 weeks later...

New era for the latest patch has some data at a high level for current raid benchmarks if you can't wait for qT. Naturally the more logs we get the more info we can show so get raiding and uploading!

Also there will be a ui update happening in the next day or two so keep am eye out for it as well as some tweaks that should hopefully fix the fractal success detection atm. =)