CPU/GPU are not fully utilized (single cores not going over 60%)

Hello community!

problem is as follows: i can play fine and all put fps isn't to good. when i look at my resource management it shows that nothing really runs at it's full capacity. GPU hits like 60% and CPU around the same margin. RAM is not fully used either and OS+GW2 are located on a SSD.

i already set priority of gw2 in task manager to highest and gpu is set to maximum power usage.

as i understand it GW2 uses single thread performance so one would expect that 1-2 cores are running at max but all cores are running on equal percentages (40-60%).

my rig:

GTX 1080

Intel i7 4790k

16gb Ram

Win 10

any help would be apprecciated,

thanks

best regards

> @"Ralios.5023" said:

> Hello community!

> problem is as follows: i can play fine and all put fps isn't to good. when i look at my resource management it shows that nothing really runs at it's full capacity. GPU hits like 60% and CPU around the same margin. RAM is not fully used either and OS+GW2 are located on a SSD.

> i already set priority of gw2 in task manager to highest and gpu is set to maximum power usage.

> as i understand it GW2 uses single thread performance so one would expect that 1-2 cores are running at max but all cores are running on equal percentages (40-60%).

>

> my rig:

> GTX 1080

> Intel i7 4790k

> 16gb Ram

> Win 10

>

> any help would be apprecciated,

> thanks

>

> best regards

The game in it's native state is a bit of a shemozzle.

My suggestion is to try running the game in DX12 by using the d912pxy.

You'll find a guide on the forums here https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/110553/want-to-use-directx-12-dx12-for-gw2-heres-a-guide-on-using-the-d912pxy-on-windows-10#latest

For support you can discuss any issues with the community here via Discord including the developer

https://discord.com/invite/fY9KADf

hi,, thanks for the answer!

i can see a clear improvement in performance with the mod.

when rendering new objects cpu is fully utilized, after that it goes back to 60%.

graphics card is much less used now.

performance overall seems fine now, i think i will keep on testing this further and see if everything works to my satisfaction.

it still kind of nags me that apparantly i have resources to spare that are not used but that's just 1st world problems i guess...

thanks again and have a good one!

When your GPU is not at 99%, then you are either CPU bound, your ram is full or you use a frame limiter/vsync - simple as that.

In contrast your overal CPU usage means nothing. If you have 4 cores/threads and one core is at 100% and the other 3 are at 0%, then your CPU usage is 25% but you are CPU bound as this one core will limit the rest of your CPU.

The app mack posted will pre-cache draw calls, when you load a map, which the game normally does on the fly (this for example causes stutters when you turn your character for 180 degrees). The pre-caching will free some CPU resources in a few areas. It will not lower the CPU demands of the game in general. The game isn't just limited by draw calls. The sheer amount of computation in highly populated areas is demanding for every CPU. In these areas the game will utilize up to 6 cores at 100% usage even without d912pxy.

So when people tell you the game is single threaded, the engine sucks and dx12 would do miracles - don't believe that nonsense.