Serious D/C issues

> @Lechtrixx.1053 said:

> I'm well aware of the cost for transfers. I've changed servers in NA alone several times in the hope of getting around the disconnect issue, but to no avail. Much to my dismay, it's when I discovered how I was losing connections that all my transfers meant nothing. I understand how infuriating it is when you have to repeat a certain story instance over and over because of disconnects. Or when you in the heat of a major meta event the disconnects throws you out of it all because your packets get dropped somewhere along the line going somewhere they shouldn't be going.

You know the "servers", like Crystal Desert or Borlis Pass, are just designations for the sake of WvW right? They haven't been separate servers in years, if they ever were. Even if they were, unless you switch to a different region via a proxy or VPN, they're all still going to be in the same server room, so the trace route will essentially be the same. We already know this is largely as a result of a DDoS attack, so you're just wasting gems.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bulk of the issues seem to start with a DDoS attack started on Oct 21st to a DNS company called Dyn DNS, the intended target was The Playstation Network however Dyn also provides DNS services for Yahoo, Xbox, Comcast and a dozen others. My surprise is that, here we are over 2 weeks later still going on about this. Really makes you wonder about network security if something as trivial as DDoS sends such ripples when performed on the right level of network infrastructure.

> @Leamas.5803 said:

> > @Lechtrixx.1053 said:

> > I'm well aware of the cost for transfers. I've changed servers in NA alone several times in the hope of getting around the disconnect issue, but to no avail. Much to my dismay, it's when I discovered how I was losing connections that all my transfers meant nothing. I understand how infuriating it is when you have to repeat a certain story instance over and over because of disconnects. Or when you in the heat of a major meta event the disconnects throws you out of it all because your packets get dropped somewhere along the line going somewhere they shouldn't be going.

>

> You know the "servers", like Crystal Desert or Borlis Pass, are just designations for the sake of WvW right? They haven't been separate servers in years, if they ever were. Even if they were, unless you switch to a different region via a proxy or VPN, they're all still going to be in the same server room, so the trace route will essentially be the same. We already know this is largely as a result of a DDoS attack, so you're just wasting gems.

If they aren't separate server instances, then what are they when they have population caps? (low, medium, high, very high & full).

Note that I said: separate server "instances".

Granted, one main server (example: NA) will provide several separate instances, however .. the network that the main server relies upon is the one most affected and results in all instances being affected.

PVE, PVP, WVW etc have to have their own dedicated instance. I'm sure you know this.

It doesn't matter which instance you're in if the primary server is affected by "foreign traffic". The foreign traffic adds to the network load and latency.

> @Lechtrixx.1053 said:

> > @Leamas.5803 said:

> > > @Lechtrixx.1053 said:

> > > I'm well aware of the cost for transfers. I've changed servers in NA alone several times in the hope of getting around the disconnect issue, but to no avail. Much to my dismay, it's when I discovered how I was losing connections that all my transfers meant nothing. I understand how infuriating it is when you have to repeat a certain story instance over and over because of disconnects. Or when you in the heat of a major meta event the disconnects throws you out of it all because your packets get dropped somewhere along the line going somewhere they shouldn't be going.

> >

> > You know the "servers", like Crystal Desert or Borlis Pass, are just designations for the sake of WvW right? They haven't been separate servers in years, if they ever were. Even if they were, unless you switch to a different region via a proxy or VPN, they're all still going to be in the same server room, so the trace route will essentially be the same. We already know this is largely as a result of a DDoS attack, so you're just wasting gems.

>

> If they aren't separate server instances, then what are they when they have population caps? (low, medium, high, very high & full).

> Note that I said: separate server "instances".

> Granted, one main server (example: NA) will provide several separate instances, however .. the network that the main server relies upon is the one most affected and results in all instances being affected.

> PVE, PVP, WVW etc have to have their own dedicated instance. I'm sure you know this.

> It doesn't matter which instance you're in if the primary server is affected by "foreign traffic". The foreign traffic adds to the network load and latency.

I think they have world population caps primarily to keep the WvW system somewhat balanced. Map instance population caps are intended to battle lag (Huge issue on the Dragon's Stand map) and to keep meta events balanced. As I said, even if they are separate servers, they'll still be located at the same physical location.

I think Arlette has your answers though, _"The bulk of the issues seem to start with a DDoS attack started on Oct 21st to a DNS company called Dyn DNS, the intended target was The Playstation Network however Dyn also provides DNS services for Yahoo, Xbox, Comcast and a dozen others. My surprise is that, here we are over 2 weeks later still going on about this. Really makes you wonder about network security if something as trivial as DDoS sends such ripples when performed on the right level of network infrastructure."_

Ironically, I didn't see any issues with PSN or XBox-Live, but I don't play a great many multiplayer games on those platforms, so it basically just has to log in and sync trophy information. I did have some license syncing issues on the XBox last night. Perhaps that was related.

If you guys would use the filter to see the amount of "unusual" traffic -- i.e., stuff that's definitely not the norm -- there are DDoS's ongoing, yeah, but with the frequency with which the U.S. is hit on a regular basis, it's not really that drastic. Check that site even when you AREN'T sure you're under the effects of a DDoS causing lag in services. You'll see it ALWAYS looks like that.

> @Lechtrixx.1053 said:

> It doesn't "feel" like a DDOS attack, although the tracking chart shows a lot of activity around the central U.S.

> I don't see where ANet would be considered a viable target for such an attack anyway.

> Some enlightenment would help.

ANet isn't the target, PSN is the target, but the DDoS is hitting a company called Dyn DNS, who provide DNS services for PSN, XBox-Live, Comcast, among others. It's my understanding that ANet uses Comcast for an ISP and Comcast uses Dyn DNS for DNS services, so ANet is getting affected by extension due to the intended attack on PSN.

I live in Florida.

Got the same disconnect code you did just a minute ago.

Just a few minutes ago, I was standing watch at the Penitent Camp in the Cursed shore and things were running smoothly.

Nothing was going on except some other players standing around AFK. (Which incidentally automatically scales up an event when it starts).

That is until the risen assault began.

This is an event I can usually defend the camp successfully as a Reaper solo even when some AFK slackers are just standing around with their thumbs up their nether regions.

But just as this event started, some "kitten" comes riding through the first wave on his owl griffon mount just as the risen are coming into my range. No, this "kitten" didn't bother stopping to get into the fight, he/she keeps riding through the advancing risen, past me.

Suddenly, this game went from playable, to unplayable in seconds.

I blame this coincidence on the "kitten" who went riding though the combat zone just as the event started.

Severe lag spikes started and this got worse every few seconds until where my skills wouldn't activate and the risen stopped in place until they all stopped. This all took less than 1 minute.

A disconnect was eminent but I didn't wait for the disconnect and force exited to the desktop in an effort to get back into the action with 3 1/2 minutes left.

Got a stalled login screen and had to force it to close. Restarted it and got in quickly. By the time I could get back in, the event was over and most of the camp was destroyed.

So, I'm really angry about this. So I opened up the menu and came here. While typing this, my character "James the Leper" was booted to the character selection screen with that lost connection notification.

This is the kind of bulls**t I have to live with to try enjoy playing a game.

• 3 weeks later...

Never had any issues prior, but serious D/C issues since recent patch. Game stop receiving data and game times out. Happens like every 15-20min, literally unplayable and very frustrating. Game would "freeze" up and if i do not spam in textbox, i am guaranteed to d/c. This issue occurs regardless of what game mode i'm playing (pvp/pve/raid/fractal.. whatever).

ping has not really increased, remain around 250, but when d/cs and lag gets bad.. it spikes to 1k+ or just disconnects after freezing up a while. My bandwidth has no issues, can download or browse web just fine. Did the diagnostic test and there's no packet loss or w/e neither. I followed faq and made sure certain ports are completely unrestricted but it made no difference.