Should Anet make 1v1 pvp ranked game mode?

MarkoNS.3261

No need for it,we got already 1on1 ranked - anybody who gets 1600 rating will not be able to duo anymore too.The first 10 games skilled player will automaticly hit 1600-1800 rating,So it funny First they blamed premades,then they blamed duo,so whats next?The all mighty God?The issues where discussed 10000000 times on forum but in vain.Suggestions where made since 2012 i read even some old once that are golden super again just in vain.What is left take the sour apple and just move on with it.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it wouldn't work.

Its a similar issue as with the deathmatch requests. As soon as you slap rating onto something people naturally play whatever will potentially increases their winrate. Most of the time that involves builds made for stalling as they heavily dampen the impact of potential mistakes. therefore increase their chance of exploiting the ones made by the enemy player.

Considering this game's class design choice of allowing all of them to be relatively self-suficient in an attempt to break the mold, its very easy to see what would happen at the higher end of that ladder. We even have a fairly fresh example within the first 2:30 minutes of this video.

Don't worry, i fully understand the context behind the clip, which is why it was entertaining, but from a pure gameplay perspective, that would get old insanely quickly. Because that's exactly what any "top dueler" would play, highly mobile, highly durable characters with a metric-ton of recovery.

The complaints towards Daredevils. for example, would be endless since, when played right, they are probably the hardest class to kill in the game in a pure 1v1 scenario. The only reason its remotely balanced in Conquest is that to be that "tanky", they absolutely cannot stand still, giving their durability an opportunity cost in that game mode, since you know, even if you never die, if you never hold any points, you still lose. Its also why Spellbreakers are such a problem right now, as they can be almost as hard to kill without said opportunity cost.

You can again, apply that to real life sports as well. Very simple example what Floyd Mayweather is known for (as far boxing goes)? His defensive fighting style. Simply because as long as you stand still, you can still win.

Played gw1 and know how it was still back then we complained about the healing madness from monk!Whats even legendary to this day and unmatched and was problem.Then when they where saying gw2 is coming out if i google i will find somewhere some of the Gw2 dev team saying i quote "There will be no healers in GW2" so later when game came out as many things they said it was all false.The thing why i mentioned is the issue is on other things and how the game is build on flip flop thing instead more versatile play.Gw2 in begin had some interesting mechanic but constantly change of skills mechanic and passives got us here.Do not understand why everybody is going for a wow style of play and mechanic.

> @"R E F L H E X.8413" said:

> They need to fix edit monks also make gvg what it was they were required for gvg and higher end (team arenas) to be good.

Quoting Anet statement from 2016 "there will never be any GvG in gw2".

They said after 4 and half year there will never be any GvG and will never happen.All is left is just name Guild wars there no Guild wars in gw2 u know.

Their answer to GvG was Stronghold maps look how it ended.

And R E F L H E X for the mentioned not wanting to play with pugs its normal thats multi-player. People have to socialize meet make teams being competitive and challenge improve that was the thrill and is. Specially when you play against humans not AI but look here now i never seen such toxicity like here in gw2 and antisocial behavior. And game goes a step forward dampening any team based play and feeding toxicity and ego of some people who contribute to more toxicity.

It's true that we are not balanced for this in any way right now, but if this was a ranked game mode A-net had to take seriously, I would love to see how the game develops.

I'm completely in favor of reducing the gap between hard counter match-ups, and at the very least A-net could use this data to improve other 5v5 games.

It's clear that often times A-net doesn't even understand the nuances of each class's meta, nor how to manipulate them for a more enjoyable game.

(or at least to promote it as a spectacle to try and get back into e-sports viewership.)

The game would forcefully develop way from allowing certain types of builds that have over centralized the game for years. Maybe in place of another centralizing aspect, but at least it could be healthier than what we have now.

> @MarkoNS.3261 said:

> The balance thing is not a good excuse, i honestly think this game would be much better if they just copied the gw1 systems.

No it wouldn't, don't be blind.

We can already do that in many places and you know what happened?

It changed nothing.

Why do you think people mostly duel with mesmers, thieves, or even warriors now. Because they were /made/ for that. Any of the teamfight classes will never be able to keep pace and therefore just another dead mode floating.

The balance 'excuse' is a legitimate reasoning, and you are now putting yourself in a unrealistic thought process.

Asking for 1v1 is admitting you are a slacker too lazy to handle intricacies of managing 3-5 objectives and when to engage or run.

I remember that one Russian thief who engages us 1v3 then yells that we are unfair bastards.

Anyway you can just run at far when game starts and most likely have your 1v1 there.

> @"R E F L H E X.8413" said:

> > @Sismis.5390 said:

> >So it funny First they blamed premades,then they blamed duo,so whats next?

>

> Did you ever witness people syncing ra in guildwars 1? Do you not know how huge that is? When I played with my premades I didnt want to play with pugs anymore after getting the team used to eachother.

you have the best quote i seen so far :)> @paShadoWn.5723 said:

> Asking for 1v1 is admitting you are a slacker too lazy to handle intricacies of managing 3-5 objectives and when to engage or run.

> I remember that one Russian thief who engages us 1v3 then yells that we are unfair bastards.

> Anyway you can just run at far when game starts and most likely have your 1v1 there.

>

you asume i am a novice i am quite good on my mesmer, i can 1v2 easy can troll and or keep far perma caped for example can solo kill boss in that one map forgot the name, when i started pvp around season 2 i was quite in to it now i just lost interest in random squads, i mean why should i put in the effort when i cant be sure the other people would put in same amount of effort to win or alot of them are there just to farm. so in short 1v1 is a game mode that is needed and if balance is the issue that is the job of anet and not an excuse, the players didnt force them to make only 5v5 maps now did we.

> @MarkoNS.3261 said:

> > @"R E F L H E X.8413" said:

> > > @Sismis.5390 said:

> > >So it funny First they blamed premades,then they blamed duo,so whats next?

> >

> > Did you ever witness people syncing ra in guildwars 1? Do you not know how huge that is? When I played with my premades I didnt want to play with pugs anymore after getting the team used to eachother.

>

> you have the best quote i seen so far :)> @paShadoWn.5723 said:

> > Asking for 1v1 is admitting you are a slacker too lazy to handle intricacies of managing 3-5 objectives and when to engage or run.

> > I remember that one Russian thief who engages us 1v3 then yells that we are unfair bastards.

> > Anyway you can just run at far when game starts and most likely have your 1v1 there.

> >

>

> you asume i am a novice i am quite good on my mesmer, i can 1v2 easy can troll and or keep far perma caped for example can solo kill boss in that one map forgot the name, when i started pvp around season 2 i was quite in to it now i just lost interest in random squads, i mean why should i put in the effort when i cant be sure the other people would put in same amount of effort to win or alot of them are there just to farm. so in short 1v1 is a game mode that is needed and if balance is the issue that is the job of anet and not an excuse, the players didnt force them to make only 5v5 maps now did we.

What is 1v1ing going to bring to the table that we don't already have.

I'll answer that for you, nothing.

You can already do that in custom guild Hall's arenas, and custom rooms. Why should Anet put more resources into something people want to just throw the e-peen around and go: 'Hurr, look at my thief/mesmer/spellbreaker/-insert dueling class-

Waste of time, resources, where you can organize this all by yourself with a guild or so-called group.

Even in a time with relatively good class balance it was more like a rock/paper/scissors of counters that could only be overcome by significicantly higher skill, once people are somewhat equal skillwise it boils down to hard counters and (at most times) 1-2 op builds overperforming. It would simply be build wars. The ESL 1v1 used 3 classes per person I think to make it somewhat balanced, and even that was still far from perfect.

1v1 is great for practice, but it's not competitive.

> @CedarDog.9723 said:

> They have a 1v1 PvP mode already. It's called "Guild Hall Arena." Just go in with 1 other person and voila, 1v1 PvP.

Your ignorance is off the charts but I'll make an exception for you and explain what's wrong with that:

* Uses PvE gear.

* Uses PvE balance

* No matchmaking, must find opponents yourself.

* No rewards.

> @Lilyanna.9361 said:

> > @MarkoNS.3261 said:

> > > @"R E F L H E X.8413" said:

> > > > @Sismis.5390 said:

> > > >So it funny First they blamed premades,then they blamed duo,so whats next?

> > >

> > > Did you ever witness people syncing ra in guildwars 1? Do you not know how huge that is? When I played with my premades I didnt want to play with pugs anymore after getting the team used to eachother.

> >

> > you have the best quote i seen so far :)> @paShadoWn.5723 said:

> > > Asking for 1v1 is admitting you are a slacker too lazy to handle intricacies of managing 3-5 objectives and when to engage or run.

> > > I remember that one Russian thief who engages us 1v3 then yells that we are unfair bastards.

> > > Anyway you can just run at far when game starts and most likely have your 1v1 there.

> > >

> >

> > you asume i am a novice i am quite good on my mesmer, i can 1v2 easy can troll and or keep far perma caped for example can solo kill boss in that one map forgot the name, when i started pvp around season 2 i was quite in to it now i just lost interest in random squads, i mean why should i put in the effort when i cant be sure the other people would put in same amount of effort to win or alot of them are there just to farm. so in short 1v1 is a game mode that is needed and if balance is the issue that is the job of anet and not an excuse, the players didnt force them to make only 5v5 maps now did we.

>

> What is 1v1ing going to bring to the table that we don't already have.

>

> I'll answer that for you, nothing.

>

> You can already do that in custom guild Hall's arenas, and custom rooms. Why should Anet put more resources into something people want to just throw the e-kitten around and go: 'Hurr, look at my thief/mesmer/spellbreaker/-insert dueling class-

>

> Waste of time, resources, where you can organize this all by yourself with a guild or so-called group.

yeah because we dont have a ranked option for 1v1.

> @MarkoNS.3261 said:

> > @Lilyanna.9361 said:

> > > @MarkoNS.3261 said:

> > > > @"R E F L H E X.8413" said:

> > > > > @Sismis.5390 said:

> > > > >So it funny First they blamed premades,then they blamed duo,so whats next?

> > > >

> > > > Did you ever witness people syncing ra in guildwars 1? Do you not know how huge that is? When I played with my premades I didnt want to play with pugs anymore after getting the team used to eachother.

> > >

> > > you have the best quote i seen so far :)> @paShadoWn.5723 said:

> > > > Asking for 1v1 is admitting you are a slacker too lazy to handle intricacies of managing 3-5 objectives and when to engage or run.

> > > > I remember that one Russian thief who engages us 1v3 then yells that we are unfair bastards.

> > > > Anyway you can just run at far when game starts and most likely have your 1v1 there.

> > > >

> > >

> > > you asume i am a novice i am quite good on my mesmer, i can 1v2 easy can troll and or keep far perma caped for example can solo kill boss in that one map forgot the name, when i started pvp around season 2 i was quite in to it now i just lost interest in random squads, i mean why should i put in the effort when i cant be sure the other people would put in same amount of effort to win or alot of them are there just to farm. so in short 1v1 is a game mode that is needed and if balance is the issue that is the job of anet and not an excuse, the players didnt force them to make only 5v5 maps now did we.

> >

> > What is 1v1ing going to bring to the table that we don't already have.

> >

> > I'll answer that for you, nothing.

> >

> > You can already do that in custom guild Hall's arenas, and custom rooms. Why should Anet put more resources into something people want to just throw the e-kitten around and go: 'Hurr, look at my thief/mesmer/spellbreaker/-insert dueling class-

> >

> > Waste of time, resources, where you can organize this all by yourself with a guild or so-called group.

>

> yeah because we dont have a ranked option for 1v1.

And here is where I debunk your argument with someone else's words:

"The meta is not, at all, balanced enough for that"

Here's another piece for you.

"It is not competitive because have three/ four out of the nine classes as a dueling class is not enough of a reason to have 1v1 ranked."

You are not proving your skill to us by dedicating a mode to this. You are not adding anything helpful to the PVP environment in its current state. This will not incline people to come back to this mess. You will literally have the 2v2 custom arena problem where no one uses it.

So then what? Do you have a back-up plan if no one decides to go to this ranked mode. Because by business standards, you have just wasted the company's money investing in now another dead feature of PVP.

Again, put it towards something that will /benefit/ the game mode, not make it a wasteland.

> @Lilyanna.9361 said:

> > @MarkoNS.3261 said:

> > > @Lilyanna.9361 said:

> > > > @MarkoNS.3261 said:

> > > > > @"R E F L H E X.8413" said:

> > > > > > @Sismis.5390 said:

> > > > > >So it funny First they blamed premades,then they blamed duo,so whats next?

> > > > >

> > > > > Did you ever witness people syncing ra in guildwars 1? Do you not know how huge that is? When I played with my premades I didnt want to play with pugs anymore after getting the team used to eachother.

> > > >

> > > > you have the best quote i seen so far :)> @paShadoWn.5723 said:

> > > > > Asking for 1v1 is admitting you are a slacker too lazy to handle intricacies of managing 3-5 objectives and when to engage or run.

> > > > > I remember that one Russian thief who engages us 1v3 then yells that we are unfair bastards.

> > > > > Anyway you can just run at far when game starts and most likely have your 1v1 there.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > you asume i am a novice i am quite good on my mesmer, i can 1v2 easy can troll and or keep far perma caped for example can solo kill boss in that one map forgot the name, when i started pvp around season 2 i was quite in to it now i just lost interest in random squads, i mean why should i put in the effort when i cant be sure the other people would put in same amount of effort to win or alot of them are there just to farm. so in short 1v1 is a game mode that is needed and if balance is the issue that is the job of anet and not an excuse, the players didnt force them to make only 5v5 maps now did we.

> > >

> > > What is 1v1ing going to bring to the table that we don't already have.

> > >

> > > I'll answer that for you, nothing.

> > >

> > > You can already do that in custom guild Hall's arenas, and custom rooms. Why should Anet put more resources into something people want to just throw the e-kitten around and go: 'Hurr, look at my thief/mesmer/spellbreaker/-insert dueling class-

> > >

> > > Waste of time, resources, where you can organize this all by yourself with a guild or so-called group.

> >

> > yeah because we dont have a ranked option for 1v1.

>

> And here is where I debunk your argument with someone else's words:

>

> "The meta is not, at all, balanced enough for that"

>

> Here's another piece for you.

>

> "It is not competitive because have three/ four out of the nine classes as a dueling class is not enough of a reason to have 1v1 ranked."

>

> You are not proving your skill to us by dedicating a mode to this. You are not adding anything helpful to the PVP environment in its current state. This will not incline people to come back to this mess. You will literally have the 2v2 custom arena problem where no one uses it.

>

> So then what? Do you have a back-up plan if no one decides to go to this ranked mode. Because by business standards, you have just wasted the company's money investing in now another dead feature of PVP.

>

> Again, put it towards something that will /benefit/ the game mode, not make it a wasteland.

you assume much and quite honestly you are not going to change my mind and i do not care for your opinion.

> @MarkoNS.3261 said:

> > @Lilyanna.9361 said:

> > > @MarkoNS.3261 said:

> > > > @Lilyanna.9361 said:

> > > > > @MarkoNS.3261 said:

> > > > > > @"R E F L H E X.8413" said:

> > > > > > > @Sismis.5390 said:

> > > > > > >So it funny First they blamed premades,then they blamed duo,so whats next?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Did you ever witness people syncing ra in guildwars 1? Do you not know how huge that is? When I played with my premades I didnt want to play with pugs anymore after getting the team used to eachother.

> > > > >

> > > > > you have the best quote i seen so far :)> @paShadoWn.5723 said:

> > > > > > Asking for 1v1 is admitting you are a slacker too lazy to handle intricacies of managing 3-5 objectives and when to engage or run.

> > > > > > I remember that one Russian thief who engages us 1v3 then yells that we are unfair bastards.

> > > > > > Anyway you can just run at far when game starts and most likely have your 1v1 there.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > you asume i am a novice i am quite good on my mesmer, i can 1v2 easy can troll and or keep far perma caped for example can solo kill boss in that one map forgot the name, when i started pvp around season 2 i was quite in to it now i just lost interest in random squads, i mean why should i put in the effort when i cant be sure the other people would put in same amount of effort to win or alot of them are there just to farm. so in short 1v1 is a game mode that is needed and if balance is the issue that is the job of anet and not an excuse, the players didnt force them to make only 5v5 maps now did we.

> > > >

> > > > What is 1v1ing going to bring to the table that we don't already have.

> > > >

> > > > I'll answer that for you, nothing.

> > > >

> > > > You can already do that in custom guild Hall's arenas, and custom rooms. Why should Anet put more resources into something people want to just throw the e-kitten around and go: 'Hurr, look at my thief/mesmer/spellbreaker/-insert dueling class-

> > > >

> > > > Waste of time, resources, where you can organize this all by yourself with a guild or so-called group.

> > >

> > > yeah because we dont have a ranked option for 1v1.

> >

> > And here is where I debunk your argument with someone else's words:

> >

> > "The meta is not, at all, balanced enough for that"

> >

> > Here's another piece for you.

> >

> > "It is not competitive because have three/ four out of the nine classes as a dueling class is not enough of a reason to have 1v1 ranked."

> >

> > You are not proving your skill to us by dedicating a mode to this. You are not adding anything helpful to the PVP environment in its current state. This will not incline people to come back to this mess. You will literally have the 2v2 custom arena problem where no one uses it.

> >

> > So then what? Do you have a back-up plan if no one decides to go to this ranked mode. Because by business standards, you have just wasted the company's money investing in now another dead feature of PVP.

> >

> > Again, put it towards something that will /benefit/ the game mode, not make it a wasteland.

>

> you assume much and quite honestly you are not going to change my mind and i do not care for your opinion.

Good talk, glad you couldn't present a counter-argument I was looking for.

> @Lilyanna.9361 said:

> > @MarkoNS.3261 said:

> > > @Lilyanna.9361 said:

> > > > @MarkoNS.3261 said:

> > > > > @Lilyanna.9361 said:

> > > > > > @MarkoNS.3261 said:

> > > > > > > @"R E F L H E X.8413" said:

> > > > > > > > @Sismis.5390 said:

> > > > > > > >So it funny First they blamed premades,then they blamed duo,so whats next?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Did you ever witness people syncing ra in guildwars 1? Do you not know how huge that is? When I played with my premades I didnt want to play with pugs anymore after getting the team used to eachother.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > you have the best quote i seen so far :)> @paShadoWn.5723 said:

> > > > > > > Asking for 1v1 is admitting you are a slacker too lazy to handle intricacies of managing 3-5 objectives and when to engage or run.

> > > > > > > I remember that one Russian thief who engages us 1v3 then yells that we are unfair bastards.

> > > > > > > Anyway you can just run at far when game starts and most likely have your 1v1 there.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > you asume i am a novice i am quite good on my mesmer, i can 1v2 easy can troll and or keep far perma caped for example can solo kill boss in that one map forgot the name, when i started pvp around season 2 i was quite in to it now i just lost interest in random squads, i mean why should i put in the effort when i cant be sure the other people would put in same amount of effort to win or alot of them are there just to farm. so in short 1v1 is a game mode that is needed and if balance is the issue that is the job of anet and not an excuse, the players didnt force them to make only 5v5 maps now did we.

> > > > >

> > > > > What is 1v1ing going to bring to the table that we don't already have.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'll answer that for you, nothing.

> > > > >

> > > > > You can already do that in custom guild Hall's arenas, and custom rooms. Why should Anet put more resources into something people want to just throw the e-kitten around and go: 'Hurr, look at my thief/mesmer/spellbreaker/-insert dueling class-

> > > > >

> > > > > Waste of time, resources, where you can organize this all by yourself with a guild or so-called group.

> > > >

> > > > yeah because we dont have a ranked option for 1v1.

> > >

> > > And here is where I debunk your argument with someone else's words:

> > >

> > > "The meta is not, at all, balanced enough for that"

> > >

> > > Here's another piece for you.

> > >

> > > "It is not competitive because have three/ four out of the nine classes as a dueling class is not enough of a reason to have 1v1 ranked."

> > >

> > > You are not proving your skill to us by dedicating a mode to this. You are not adding anything helpful to the PVP environment in its current state. This will not incline people to come back to this mess. You will literally have the 2v2 custom arena problem where no one uses it.

> > >

> > > So then what? Do you have a back-up plan if no one decides to go to this ranked mode. Because by business standards, you have just wasted the company's money investing in now another dead feature of PVP.

> > >

> > > Again, put it towards something that will /benefit/ the game mode, not make it a wasteland.

> >

> > you assume much and quite honestly you are not going to change my mind and i do not care for your opinion.

>

> Good talk, glad you couldn't present a counter-argument I was looking for.

you want a counter argument ok buddy:

1 - its a basic game functions that should have been there from the start.

2 - balance is not an excuse - thats the job of anet devs.

3 - maps are not an excuse since there should have been 1v1 mode maps from the start.

4 - some classes not being as good in 1v1 is not an excuse since that is the job of anet balance team.

5 - you want more ?

Not in the current state. There are too many builds that have a way too forgiving gameplay. Nowadays classes such as ranger, warrior, guardian, mesmer, engie (pretty much everyone be it better or worse) are capable of doing multiple things at the same time, which is dealing decent damage along with easy access to mobility with sustain on top of that, not to mention crowd control capabilities some classes bring.

Some classes are cheese by default, but that is not the real problem. The thing is that 1v1 could work, but not if so many classes give you this: you screw up badly and should be defeated, however, some passive stuff procs or you press one button that allows you to go invisible, run away, go invincible, burst heal every bunch of seconds. It's not a matter of skill then, but of a build you are running. We would just see lots of bunker builds again, long duels and stuff like that.

> @Shroud.4683 said:

> Here's one way 1v1 can be done:

> Best of 3 or 5

> Players get x minutes to create a build

> Engage in combat

> Players get x minutes to create a build

> Engage in combat

> And so on and so forth....

>

> You add a mindgame aspect to the gameplay.

i mean why must everything be perfectly balanced, name me one game that does not have 1 best class or a a few gimmicky classes its impossible for everything to be perfectly balanced and it does not need to be.